threeflight

I have seen 1.5 Ballard Drafts..color me not impressed

Recommended Posts

Well....I hate to be called a naysayer but I have so far seen last years draft and 3 picks of the 2018 draft, and if I am being honest, nothing blows me a way.

 

Last year we still have a few years to evaluate, but I don't know...average at best??

 

This year, we have Nelson draft first.  Solid pick.  Good pick.  Could it have been something more based on what they started with and the ability to trade down more because of the run on QBs?

 

Probably.

 

The next 2 picks........I don't know.  Not saying they are not solid players, but at the stage in which they were drafted?  Both seem like reaches.  You had some true studs left on the board.  Studs that could have turned out, maybe not turned out.  But they would not have been reaches and they could have excited the fan base.  

 

It just feels as if Ballard is always going conservative.  I am a big believer that almost all sports teams are basically equal when it comes to 80% of the roster.  It is the other 20% made up of STARS that truly make a difference.  And I don't feel we have any...other than Luck if he comes back and maybe Hilton.  

 

 

Not impressed so far.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Well....I hate to be called a naysayer but I have so far seen last years draft and 3 picks of the 2018 draft, and if I am being honest, nothing blows me a way.

 

Last year we still have a few years to evaluate, but I don't know...average at best??

 

This year, we have Nelson draft first.  Solid pick.  Good pick.  Could it have been something more based on what they started with and the ability to trade down more because of the run on QBs?

 

Probably.

 

The next 2 picks........I don't know.  Not saying they are not solid players, but at the stage in which they were drafted?  Both seem like reaches.  You had some true studs left on the board.  Studs that could have turned out, maybe not turned out.  But they would not have been reaches and they could have excited the fan base.  

 

It just feels as if Ballard is always going conservative.  I am a big believer that almost all sports teams are basically equal when it comes to 80% of the roster.  It is the other 20% made up of STARS that truly make a difference.  And I don't feel we have any...other than Luck if he comes back and maybe Hilton.  

 

 

Not impressed so far.

Please give me your extended knowledge of the players selected vs the players you wanted to be selected

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Well....I hate to be called a naysayer but I have so far seen last years draft and 3 picks of the 2018 draft, and if I am being honest, nothing blows me a way.

 

Last year we still have a few years to evaluate, but I don't know...average at best??

 

This year, we have Nelson draft first.  Solid pick.  Good pick.  Could it have been something more based on what they started with and the ability to trade down more because of the run on QBs?

 

Probably.

 

The next 2 picks........I don't know.  Not saying they are not solid players, but at the stage in which they were drafted?  Both seem like reaches.  You had some true studs left on the board.  Studs that could have turned out, maybe not turned out.  But they would not have been reaches and they could have excited the fan base.  

 

It just feels as if Ballard is always going conservative.  I am a big believer that almost all sports teams are basically equal when it comes to 80% of the roster.  It is the other 20% made up of STARS that truly make a difference.  And I don't feel we have any...other than Luck if he comes back and maybe Hilton.  

 

 

Not impressed so far.

On whose board? Yours? Where are you getting your info? ESPN? Lol! Time will tell, but Ballard just landed two solid starters for this team at positions of great need. Obviously he thinks this team needed it on the offensive line, and Frank Reich had a great deal to say about that as well... How can you not be excited to see running lanes and Andrew Luck with time to throw the football? 

 

 

This is a multi-year rebuild, and unfortunately, many continue to forget this. These guys were likely at the top of the board for Chris Ballard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Well....I hate to be called a naysayer but I have so far seen last years draft and 3 picks of the 2018 draft, and if I am being honest, nothing blows me a way.

 

Last year we still have a few years to evaluate, but I don't know...average at best??

 

This year, we have Nelson draft first.  Solid pick.  Good pick.  Could it have been something more based on what they started with and the ability to trade down more because of the run on QBs?

 

Probably.

 

The next 2 picks........I don't know.  Not saying they are not solid players, but at the stage in which they were drafted?  Both seem like reaches.  You had some true studs left on the board.  Studs that could have turned out, maybe not turned out.  But they would not have been reaches and they could have excited the fan base.  

 

It just feels as if Ballard is always going conservative.  I am a big believer that almost all sports teams are basically equal when it comes to 80% of the roster.  It is the other 20% made up of STARS that truly make a difference.  And I don't feel we have any...other than Luck if he comes back and maybe Hilton.  

 

 

Not impressed so far.

Now are you saying this cause you don’t know these players and they’re not “big names” or you legit feel this way?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone has a right to their opinion.  Some have the opinion the world is flat.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am all about opinions.  My opinion is that a room full of scouts that have studied 100s of hours can put together a board better than average Joe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Smonroe said:

Everyone has a right to their opinion.  Some have the opinion the world is flat.  

I think its a square.  :)

 

Look......to me Josh Jackson and Ronald Jones could have been two players that would have been not only highly rated, players of need, but they also have that star factor.

 

I just think that the players that were drafted in the second could have been gotten later on.  That is called a reach.

 

I feel the same about most of Ballards FA signings.  He just seems to be to be very conservative and he thinks he is smarter than he really is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t please everybody I guess, but I love the picks. 

I will say this though.. judging a draft when a player hasn’t played a snap and you are still in round 2 is ludicrous. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shepman said:

I am all about opinions.  My opinion is that a room full of scouts that have studied 100s of hours can put together a board better than average Joe.

I hope its not the same roomful of coaches and scouts that came up with last years draft gems. I just have my doubts about this group. Not because they shy away from more familiar names but from just the production on the field. Maybe this class will be different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I think its a square.  :)

 

Look......to me Josh Jackson and Ronald Jones could have been two players that would have been not only highly rated, players of need, but they also have that star factor.

 

I just think that the players that were drafted in the second could have been gotten later on.  That is called a reach.

 

I feel the same about most of Ballards FA signings.  He just seems to be to be very conservative and he thinks he is smarter than he really is.

 

You have absolutely zero knowledge to suggest both players would be available later. Jones and Jackson also have flaws. Clearly, Ballard wanted Leonard and Smith more. Both picks were submitted extremely quickly which suggests CB got exactly what he wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Can’t please everybody I guess, but I love the picks. 

I will say this though.. judging a draft when a player hasn’t played a snap and you are still in round 2 is ludicrous. 

 

Well, it's just my opinion.

 

 

I feel Ballard keeps reaching.  And in the position that the Colts were in, there is absolutely no need to reach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I think its a square.  :)

 

Look......to me Josh Jackson and Ronald Jones could have been two players that would have been not only highly rated, players of need, but they also have that star factor.

 

I just think that the players that were drafted in the second could have been gotten later on.  That is called a reach.

 

I feel the same about most of Ballards FA signings.  He just seems to be to be very conservative and he thinks he is smarter than he really is.

 

Its moot until it’s on the field.  I may have gone with others, but I haven’t done hundreds of hours of study and don’t have personal insight into our team’s health and needs.  

 

I do see two great football players in positions of need.  My opinion.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheNextGM said:

 

You have absolutely zero knowledge to suggest both players would be available later. Jones and Jackson also have flaws. Clearly, Ballard wanted Leonard and Smith more. Both picks were submitted extremely quickly which suggests CB got exactly what he wanted.

To me Jackson was a no brainer.  Add him to our secondary and we all of a sudden have a HUGE strength.

 

Jones imo would have been electrifying paired with Luck.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, threeflight said:

Well, it's just my opinion.

 

 

I feel Ballard keeps reaching.  And in the position that the Colts were in, there is absolutely no need to reach.

When you scout a player you want, you grab them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, threeflight said:

To me Jackson was a no brainer.  Add him to our secondary and we all of a sudden have a HUGE strength.

 

Jones imo would have been electrifying paired with Luck.  

I watched Eliijah Sindelar have his way with Josh Jackson.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Well....I hate to be called a naysayer but I have so far seen last years draft and 3 picks of the 2018 draft, and if I am being honest, nothing blows me a way.

 

Last year we still have a few years to evaluate, but I don't know...average at best??

 

This year, we have Nelson draft first.  Solid pick.  Good pick.  Could it have been something more based on what they started with and the ability to trade down more because of the run on QBs?

 

Probably.

 

The next 2 picks........I don't know.  Not saying they are not solid players, but at the stage in which they were drafted?  Both seem like reaches.  You had some true studs left on the board.  Studs that could have turned out, maybe not turned out.  But they would not have been reaches and they could have excited the fan base.  

 

It just feels as if Ballard is always going conservative.  I am a big believer that almost all sports teams are basically equal when it comes to 80% of the roster.  It is the other 20% made up of STARS that truly make a difference.  And I don't feel we have any...other than Luck if he comes back and maybe Hilton.  

 

 

Not impressed so far.

:violin:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IndySouthsider said:

I watched Eliijah Sindelar have his way with Josh Jackson.

Any player can have a bad game or play.

 

Is he Bob Sanders?  No.  But he didn't need to be.

 

I get we needed a LB.  I get that adding to our OL can't hurt.

 

I just think both picks were reaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jackson is a project, will NOT be a starter day one. Maybe he develops into a premiere corner, but he’s a question mark.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys. We picked all positions of need that are immediate upgrades. 

 

I’m not happy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Well....I hate to be called a naysayer but I have so far seen last years draft and 3 picks of the 2018 draft, and if I am being honest, nothing blows me a way.

 

Last year we still have a few years to evaluate, but I don't know...average at best??

 

This year, we have Nelson draft first.  Solid pick.  Good pick.  Could it have been something more based on what they started with and the ability to trade down more because of the run on QBs?

 

Probably.

 

The next 2 picks........I don't know.  Not saying they are not solid players, but at the stage in which they were drafted?  Both seem like reaches.  You had some true studs left on the board.  Studs that could have turned out, maybe not turned out.  But they would not have been reaches and they could have excited the fan base.  

 

It just feels as if Ballard is always going conservative.  I am a big believer that almost all sports teams are basically equal when it comes to 80% of the roster.  It is the other 20% made up of STARS that truly make a difference.  And I don't feel we have any...other than Luck if he comes back and maybe Hilton.  

 

 

Not impressed so far.

He hasnt selected every player I liked but I think he did good putting two all american olinemen plus getting a nice lb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Hey guys. We picked all positions of need that are immediate upgrades. 

 

I’m not happy. 

Lol...

 

Fan 1 - I really hate how the Colts played in their first game this season. 

Fan 2 - What the heck do you mean? They haven't played yet

Fan 1 - Well, I've seen enough of the team last year to know how they are going to play. I see the future.

 

...essentially, an argument based on emotion and without fact. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Any player can have a bad game or play.

 

Is he Bob Sanders?  No.  But he didn't need to be.

 

I get we needed a LB.  I get that adding to our OL can't hurt.

 

I just think both picks were reaches.

He’s not a game changer. 2 stat kid who had one big game in the upset of OSU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Well, it's just my opinion.

 

 

I feel Ballard keeps reaching.  And in the position that the Colts were in, there is absolutely no need to reach.

 

If you're so good at evaluating players, why don't you get a job as an NFL GM.  The pay is excellent I hear.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

funny since out last pick is an investment into the future a bit of a gamble but it looks like they want length and speed at the position to just throw a wave of similar type bodies at people. Autry 2.0 this guy needs to fill out a bit more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on guys, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Some people shouldn’t be, but still...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 second round picks.

 

I would say all 3 went WELL before they were projected.

 

I more not impressed.  

 

Color me black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Well....I hate to be called a naysayer but I have so far seen last years draft and 3 picks of the 2018 draft, and if I am being honest, nothing blows me a way.

 

Last year we still have a few years to evaluate, but I don't know...average at best??

 

This year, we have Nelson draft first.  Solid pick.  Good pick.  Could it have been something more based on what they started with and the ability to trade down more because of the run on QBs?

 

Probably.

 

The next 2 picks........I don't know.  Not saying they are not solid players, but at the stage in which they were drafted?  Both seem like reaches.  You had some true studs left on the board.  Studs that could have turned out, maybe not turned out.  But they would not have been reaches and they could have excited the fan base.  

 

It just feels as if Ballard is always going conservative.  I am a big believer that almost all sports teams are basically equal when it comes to 80% of the roster.  It is the other 20% made up of STARS that truly make a difference.  And I don't feel we have any...other than Luck if he comes back and maybe Hilton.  

 

 

Not impressed so far.

Ballard is picking up guy he and scouts think will help this team now and in the future he isn't going to lose any sleep if we are not impressed with him I think for one this draft is so far better than last years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far we have turned the 3rd pick in the entire draft, and a high second rounder...

 

Into????

 

I can't say I see star potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Ballard is picking up guy he and scouts think will help this team now and in the future he isn't going to lose any sleep if we are not impressed with him I think for one this draft is so far better than last years.

How is this different than any other GM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Well....I hate to be called a naysayer but I have so far seen last years draft and 3 picks of the 2018 draft, and if I am being honest, nothing blows me a way.

 

Last year we still have a few years to evaluate, but I don't know...average at best??

 

This year, we have Nelson draft first.  Solid pick.  Good pick.  Could it have been something more based on what they started with and the ability to trade down more because of the run on QBs?

 

Probably.

 

The next 2 picks........I don't know.  Not saying they are not solid players, but at the stage in which they were drafted?  Both seem like reaches.  You had some true studs left on the board.  Studs that could have turned out, maybe not turned out.  But they would not have been reaches and they could have excited the fan base.  

 

It just feels as if Ballard is always going conservative.  I am a big believer that almost all sports teams are basically equal when it comes to 80% of the roster.  It is the other 20% made up of STARS that truly make a difference.  And I don't feel we have any...other than Luck if he comes back and maybe Hilton.  

 

 

Not impressed so far.

I guess you get paid a crap ton of money to go scout and watch these guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Jax is also in win now mode..... Colts are not
    • I stand corrected he is 28.  My point was that he could have brougth some situational football here as far as a runner.  I do like the young running back that are here and wasn't expecting Hyde to come in here and be the man or something but to me the Colts are missing that little element that they had with Frank Gore.  Teams had to respect that the Colts just might just try to run to ball  inside the ten yard line.  
    • Seriously... Watch this. And when they focus on just the 2 boys, mute the video and read the op. Syncs up almost too perfectly     
    • Oh, on that we agree, just stating the facts, not saying I support him on it.  lol
    • OG is becoming a much more demanding, athletically speaking, position than it was in the past.  The OG of your Alan Ameche Days, most likely could not play OG in today's NFL.  The league is recognizing this, and premium OG's are beginning to be paid accordingly.  The OL is vastly improved this year by most all metrics, enjoy it, their ability to keep Luck upright, aided by the new offense or not, and open running lanes, makes the hypothetical need for Darnold, or any of your other desired high draft pick QB's, just that, hypothetical.  Enjoy the season, and the fact that you got to see some awesome Football 60 years ago, That era would have been a blast to watch live.
  • Members