Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possibly best 2nd rd sleeper

8 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

My sleeper is DJ Chark.  Tall, fast and can jump.  People say, LSU, but forget OBJ came from LSU.

Would like us to get him the 2nd 

Maybe at 49?? I think the two early will be defensive...corner and either LB/ER.

26 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

My sleeper is DJ Chark.  Tall, fast and can jump.  People say, LSU, but forget OBJ came from LSU.

Would like us to get him the 2nd 

I'm not a big fan of Chark, especially in the 2nd. He's tall and ridiculously fast, but he has way too many deficit in key areas for a WR. He needs a lot of work on his route running and not just expanding the routes he can run besides a Go route, but almost every technical aspect of route running. He's extremely easy to jam off the line, so he doesn't get clean releases as often as most would like a WR to. He also has very suspect ball skills.

He's an insane athlete, but he just doesn't know how to play WR and I think it will take at least 3-4 years for him to develop the skills to be an effective WR. I honestly see him as the next coming of Troy Williamson.

47 minutes ago, Shive said:

I'm not a big fan of Chark, especially in the 2nd. He's tall and ridiculously fast, but he has way too many deficit in key areas for a WR. He needs a lot of work on his route running and not just expanding the routes he can run besides a Go route, but almost every technical aspect of route running. He's extremely easy to jam off the line, so he doesn't get clean releases as often as most would like a WR to. He also has very suspect ball skills.

He's an insane athlete, but he just doesn't know how to play WR and I think it will take at least 3-4 years for him to develop the skills to be an effective WR. I honestly see him as the next coming of Troy Williamson.

I suggest watching the Senior Bowl week and game again.  Chark wasn't on my radar, coming from LSU and blocking more than receiving.  Mayock and Jeremiah was saying that he would be 4-6 round pick as he was very raw.  As the week progressed, Chark showed, not only could he block, but catch and run routes.  Chark had over a 100 yards receiving in the game and showed he could run routes.  Chark made some of the CBs talked about on here and by the analysts, looking like rookies.

IMHO, Chark is a 2nd rounder and would do well here.  Doesn't hurt that Chark is 6'3" and can vert 40".

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Maybe at 49?? I think the two early will be defensive...corner and either LB/ER.

I can agree at 49, as long as we get him.

Not sure about first 2 picks.  I could see Hernandez as one, giving us a good O-line and maybe Hubbard.

What seems to be forgotten here is, we are moving to a 4-3.  We don't need an Edge Rusher, but a DE.  The DE needs to set the edge in the run as well as get after the QB.

IMO, Landry is a 3-4 Pass Rusher, not a 4-3 DE

This should say day 3 sleeper lol. I wouldn't rule this guy out of a day 2 selection, to be fair, but I think rounds 4-5 could be more likely than round 2. 

Give me a round 2 of:

Harold Landry

Maurice Hurst

Ronald Jones

Oh man!!

2 hours ago, gacker65 said:

I can agree at 49, as long as we get him.

Not sure about first 2 picks.  I could see Hernandez as one, giving us a good O-line and maybe Hubbard.

What seems to be forgotten here is, we are moving to a 4-3.  We don't need an Edge Rusher, but a DE.  The DE needs to set the edge in the run as well as get after the QB.

IMO, Landry is a 3-4 Pass Rusher, not a 4-3 DE

I think Basham and Sheard can do a good job of setting the edge. I want a push rusher....I don't care if they never make a tackle...a la Dwight Freeney....just terrorize the qb. We may not get a pass rusher out of this group. Maybe with the switch and having Basham, Sheard, Simon, and Autry we might get through another year. I don't want to force any picks but I think Landry is a good prospect...he played with his hand in the dirt and standing up. I like his bend too. Problem obviously was injuries but if he is cleared to me he is the best prospect in round 2 imo. I thought he would go to NE at the end of round 1 so I was surprised. I could easily see Landry playing this year on passing downs and maybe come off the field on run downs (although he is known as a good run defender in his own right). I like Hernandez as well but I'm not sure we need another guard. I would much rather take a RT then guard. With Nelson already in the fold that allows for our center to help our right guard so whomever wins that position should have plenty of help. To me that leaves RT the one question mark left. You don't have to have all pro's in every position on the line. We should be able to roll help from center to RG to help a lot. Who knows maybe Mewhort stays healthy. I'm willing to be patient on replacing another guard. RT....I'd listen on that one. I guess Conner Williams and Brian Oniell could be guys we look at closely. One has injury concerns the other is kinda raw and needs to get stronger but very athletic. I'm going to assume that New York is going to look at their line problems at the top of the round...you don't take a RB 2 overall and then don't put a decent line in front of him. With Cleveland losing Thomas they might address OL as well. Tonight will be exciting...we got a lot of picks early and I think tonight is where we can see a big improvement on this team if it works out well. Tonight will determine how fast this rebuild goes.

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think Basham and Sheard can do a good job of setting the edge. I want a push rusher....I don't care if they never make a tackle...a la Dwight Freeney....just terrorize the qb. We may not get a pass rusher out of this group. Maybe with the switch and having Basham, Sheard, Simon, and Autry we might get through another year. I don't want to force any picks but I think Landry is a good prospect...he played with his hand in the dirt and standing up. I like his bend too. Problem obviously was injuries but if he is cleared to me he is the best prospect in round 2 imo. I thought he would go to NE at the end of round 1 so I was surprised. I could easily see Landry playing this year on passing downs and maybe come off the field on run downs (although he is known as a good run defender in his own right). I like Hernandez as well but I'm not sure we need another guard. I would much rather take a RT then guard. With Nelson already in the fold that allows for our center to help our right guard so whomever wins that position should have plenty of help. To me that leaves RT the one question mark left. You don't have to have all pro's in every position on the line. We should be able to roll help from center to RG to help a lot. Who knows maybe Mewhort stays healthy. I'm willing to be patient on replacing another guard. RT....I'd listen on that one. I guess Conner Williams and Brian Oniell could be guys we look at closely. One has injury concerns the other is kinda raw and needs to get stronger but very athletic. I'm going to assume that New York is going to look at their line problems at the top of the round...you don't take a RB 2 overall and then don't put a decent line in front of him. With Cleveland losing Thomas they might address OL as well. Tonight will be exciting...we got a lot of picks early and I think tonight is where we can see a big improvement on this team if it works out well. Tonight will determine how fast this rebuild goes.

I'm not concerned about getting a pass rusher this year.  I want to see how the whole DL adjusts to the new alignment before I'd commit a high pick.  We may find out 3-tech is the most needed position.

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

I'm not concerned about getting a pass rusher this year.  I want to see how the whole DL adjusts to the new alignment before I'd commit a high pick.  We may find out 3-tech is the most needed position.

I understand...and I'm not worried about the RG spot. I think with the synergy that Nelson will bring to the left side of the line it will allow Kelly to help our right side more. RT I still have concerns...I won't cry if we take Hernandez...but to me you can never have too many pass rushers...and I've not seen enough from any to think the long term answer is on the roster. I've seen some good things from the o line specifically Mewhort and Good and Haeg to think they could hold down the right side. I think we can both agree that there are some nice corners that are up there that we could find a starter opposite Wilson. I wish there was a stud LB but it seems the value will be later in the round.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I understand...and I'm not worried about the RG spot. I think with the synergy that Nelson will bring to the left side of the line it will allow Kelly to help our right side more. RT I still have concerns...I won't cry if we take Hernandez...but to me you can never have too many pass rushers...and I've not seen enough from any to think the long term answer is on the roster. I've seen some good things from the o line specifically Mewhort and Good and Haeg to think they could hold down the right side. I think we can both agree that there are some nice corners that are up there that we could find a starter opposite Wilson. I wish there was a stud LB but it seems the value will be later in the round.

I always thought RT was a higher priority than G, with Haeg being able to move inside with his mobility in the zone scheme. And don't forget Slauson, he's a good player.   I'd look for a mobile RT tonight....maybe O'Neill ?  LB, CB, and S are needs.  I really hope for a trade to get more 3rds.  We didn't get more seconds last night, so I'd be disappointed if we stand pat in the 2nd tonight.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Brian O'Neil is a guy I hope makes it to our 3rd round pick. He's got good size and tremendous athleticism but he needs to work on technique. The only lineman I'd like in the 2nd is Williams but I think the real value at our picks is on the defensive side of the ball. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I always thought RT was a higher priority than G, with Haeg being able to move inside with his mobility in the zone scheme. And don't forget Slauson, he's a good player.   I'd look for a mobile RT tonight....maybe O'Neill ?  LB, CB, and S are needs.  I really hope for a trade to get more 2nds or 3rds.  Didn't happen last night, so I'd be disappointed if we stand pat in the 2nd.

I don't think we can get an additional second....probably not even an additional third by trading. Even if we trade down from 37 I think a 4th is about the most we could get. I'm fine with moving back on 37...but I wouldn't be expecting much. People were moving back in round 1 and only getting 3rd and 5th round picks....the value won't be big enough with our 2nds to get anything more. RT isn't out of the question....seems all of them have question marks at this point in the draft or they would have went round 1, but Williams, O'neill, and Crosby would be the ones I keep an eye on.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don't think we can get an additional second....probably not even an additional third by trading. Even if we trade down from 37 I think a 4th is about the most we could get. I'm fine with moving back on 37...but I wouldn't be expecting much. People were moving back in round 1 and only getting 3rd and 5th round picks....the value won't be big enough with our 2nds to get anything more. RT isn't out of the question....seems all of them have question marks at this point in the draft or they would have went round 1, but Williams, O'neill, and Crosby would be the ones I keep an eye on.

Agreed about the value of the picks.  Saw this last night.    53 and 56 with Isiah Wynn or Ragnow at 12 or even a bit later if we could've swung a trade for an extra 3rd would look good right now.

Oh well, disappointed Colts fan once again.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

We don't need a pass rusher per se, but DEs that can set the edge in the run and pass rush.  As I pointed out and you stated, Landry can stand up.  That is the definition of a 3-4 pass rushing OLB.

Would much rather see us get Hubbard, Green, or some other actual DE.

• Like 1