Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

6th overall pick Indianapolis Colts select Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meh, you're supposed to take a difference maker at 6, not a Guard. The amount of draft capital in the o-line is now absurd and people are still saying "at least now they're going to protect Luck".. Ya

Well done Ballard!   Two extra second round picks and the best offensive lineman we could have asked for.   Love this pick.

Posted Images

I was hoping the Colts would take a defensive player at 6 but can't argue against Nelson. He is a great prospect and should help this team from day 1. Hopefully he lives up to the hype.

Just now, The Fish said:

Meh, you're supposed to take a difference maker at 6, not a Guard. The amount of draft capital in the o-line is now absurd and people are still saying "at least now they're going to protect Luck".. Yawn. We've thrown high picks at this problem before. 

I would have been happier with some D.

We had one of the worst O-lines in the NFL and you think we didn't need an O-lineman. *shakes head*

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Meh, you're supposed to take a difference maker at 6, not a Guard. The amount of draft capital in the o-line is now absurd and people are still saying "at least now they're going to protect Luck".. Yawn. We've thrown high picks at this problem before. 

I would have been happier with some D.

We have??  Who? 

3 minutes ago, ColtsUrUs said:

We had one of the worst O-lines in the NFL and you think we didn't need an O-lineman. *shakes head*

You can shake your head. Kelly and Mewhort were hurt large chunks of the year and there were other injuries. 

2 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

I will be sad when Roquan is a pro bowler but still, awesome we got Nelson

It's okay cause Nelson will be a multi year All-Pro and add some nastiness and attitude to this OL which will be contagious. 

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

We have??  Who? 

Ryan Kelly and Costanzo were both 1's. Mewhort is a 2. Now Nelson. I wouldn't be shocked if we're rolling with the most high end picks for an o-line this season with this addition.. 

Couldn't roll into next year without at least locking down one sp spot on the oline.

Stanzo, Nelson, Kelly [hopefully healthy] looks like 3 spots that aren't terrible but actually a decent looking left side.

Pick up another oline guy tomorrow and we could potentially have 4 of 5 looking pretty good. 

I'm not complaining. Ballard knows his job depends on keeping #12 alive. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• I thought this was an interesting watch:     There are really only a handful of Superstar Free Agent signings that you can point to and say "that's why they won a SB":  Tom Brady to Tampa.  Reggie White to Green Bay.  Deion Sanders to Dallas/SF.  Brees to New Orleans.  Peyton to Denver.  And every one of those guys is in the conversation of being the best to play their position... like ever.  But the key is that the teams they went to had already been built through the draft, which is what Ballard is doing.  If you build it, they will come.  (We can kind of already see this with Rivers choosing the Colts last year and Wentz preferring the Colts this year)   I don't think anyone that was a free agent this year is in the conversation of being the GOAT at their respective position, so it really didn't make sense to break the bank for any of the "superstar" free agents this year.  I know @DEFENSE doesn't like Ballards "dollar general method", but it's pretty smart considering the big splash free agent signings rarely correlate to SBs, because those elite HoF-type Superstar Free Agents only come around once in a blue moon.   And Ballard has spent quite a bit the last two offseasons on arguably the two most important positions:  QB to make the offense run, and 3T to make the defense run.  He just didn't spent it on superstar free agents, he traded for proven guys still in their prime.  Ballard is being aggressive with trades and big contracts, but he isn't being stupid wasting big money on a FA when there isn't a guy worth that kind of money.
    • Of course that's within reason. Although... to be honest... I personally would draft one of the top 4 QBs if he falls even with Wentz on the roster... but I know I'm in the small minority here and I know Ballard would never do that. And I think it would be a mistake not to take him if he fell(Lance or Fields lets say) . Getting as many good shots at a franchise QB as possible to me is more valuable than a random late 1st DE or OT or WR or CB. Especially when you see what those QBs go for once they fail. Wentz failed and still managed to return 1st and a 3d. Darnold has been bottom 5 QB for his entire career and he still managed to return 2nd , 4th and 6th(this is about 1st round type value). QBs are valuable. I consider all top 4 QBs great prospects and amazing value at 21... so... if one of them falls... I run to the podium.   If Wentz returns to his MVP form... great... You have an MVP type QB and you have an amazing backup for a QB who's had injury problems for several years... or if he's amazing in practice and beats Wentz... maybe you trade Wentz. Or if he's good, but not better than Wentz I bet you can still get at least a second for him in a couple of years. And if Wentz fails you get a shot at a top tier talent with a modest investment.    So yeah... this is my line of thinking here. 
    • There are a lot of factors involved, but generally speaking, I believe,  a 2021 2nd round pick has the same value as a 2022 1st round pick..... so our 2021 1st round pick should be worth a 2022 1st round pick and additional pick(s).    But it takes 2 to tango and Ballard and another GM both need to be willing. 
    • "Best value" could be a trade(down ... or up?) too, I'm not excluding that. Because of the way NFL teams value picks IMO trade down should almost always be option no.1. Teams are gifting value trying to trade up IMO. So... I'm almost always team "trade down" if such opportunity presents itself.     
  • Members

• AustinnKaine

AustinnKaine 342

• dgierhart

dgierhart 1