Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My pitch for why we may have to take Nelson at 6

(Updated for clarification. I am not unhappy with the idea of taking Nelson, I think hes a phenomenal player.)

So, I've spent the last 3 months digging through hundreds of rankings, watching film, reading evaluations, and skimming through the relentless release of mock drafts, and I've come across a frightening reality...

It appears that everyone is expecting a huge run on Offensive lineman in the back half of the first round. I'll use the final mock drafts of Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, and Mike Mayock as just 3 examples.

These are the lineman that are projected to go just in the first round alone...

Kiper: Nelson (8), McGlinchey (10), Ragnow (21), Miller (23), Hernandez (26), Daniels (30)   6 Total

McShay: Nelson (6), McGlinchey (15), Ragnow (21), Wynn (22), Hernandez (24), Daniels (30), Miller (31)   7 Total

Mayock: Nelson (5), McGlinchey (10), Ragnow (21), Wynn (22), Miller (23), Hernandez (30), Daniels (31)    7 Total

Now, McShay has Nelson mocked to us at 6, and Mayock has Wynn mocked to us at 22 after a projected trade with Buffalo, but my point is that 7 of the top O-Lineman are possibly off the board, maybe even more, before we get to our 2nd round picks.

I know people have said that the O-line class has some depth this year, but to me, it seems pretty top heavy, with most of the top assets gone before before we hit the 2nd round.

I’m sick and tired and putting O-line on the back burner. We need to invest HEAVILY in protecting Andrew and we need to do it THIS YEAR with ZERO EXCEPTIONS. No more 4th and 5th round developmental prospects. We need sure fire players in front of Luck and I would invest in Nelson and feel really good about it, as long as Chubb is off the board.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

If you want a difference maker on the Offensive Line to finally, after 7 years, adequately protect Andrew, then yes. Have.

Well, some of us see it as "Get" to take. "Have" to me infers a less than ideal choice.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 2 best players in the Draft from a talent standpoint and dominating their position is Barkley and Nelson but yet many Colts fans in here want no part of either of them. Has me :wall:

Have you seen our current LBers?

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Have you seen our current LBers?

Yes, have you seen how bad Andrew Luck has been beat up? He hasn't thrown a Football in over a year. Do you realize Barkley will probably be a once in generational RB? Not wanting either of them just puzzles me. It's not just you, it's half this forum. We need Defense too but why should anyone be upset if we Draft Nelson or Barkley. Just makes no sense to me. I will be happy with Barkley, Nelson, or Chubb + I even like Edmunds or Smith too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 2 best players in the Draft from a talent standpoint and dominating their position is Barkley and Nelson but yet many Colts fans in here want no part of either of them. Has me :wall:

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Well, some of us see it as "Get" to take. "Have" to me infers a less than ideal choice.

I apologize, I should have been clearer. I would love him there. I just think there are people that would rather take LB's instead.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes, have you seen how bad Andrew Luck has been beat up? He hasn't thrown a Football in over a year. Do you realize Barkley will probably be a once in generational RB? Not wanting either of them just puzzles me. It's not just you, it's half this forum. We need Defense too but why should anyone be upset if we Draft Nelson or Barkley. Just makes no sense to me. I will be happy with Barkley, Nelson, or Chubb + I even like Edmunds or Smith too.

I’d much rather Nelson than Barkley. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would be stunned if Barkley is there at 6 but I think Nelson will be.

Who knows... I was stunned to hear Mayfield might be the 1st overall pick. 

I thought it was Darnold , no question 

• Like 2

Yeah it should be Darnold IMO. If I was ranking the QB's coming out, I would have Darnold 1, Rosen 2, Allen 3, and Mayfield 4, Jackson 5.

Yeah, I’m probably the same. Really, Darnold is the only one I actually like.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As I mentioned before, scheme wise nelson doesn't fit and I cant see Chubb or Barkley falling to 6. Imo, we're going LB, just depends when and rather it's Smith or Edmunds

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

As I mentioned before, scheme wise nelson doesn't fit and I cant see Chubb or Barkley falling to 6. Imo, we're going LB, just depends when and rather it's Smith or Edmunds

I am fine with either Edmunds or Smith, they would be much needed. I disagree regarding Nelson though. I think he is so Great that he could play in any scheme. It's just an opinion but I just think he's the best Guard that has came out in a long time.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Give me Roquan. Edmunds has tantalizing potential, but the next Derrick Brooks works for me.

I am fine with either Edmunds or Smith, they would be much needed. I disagree regarding Nelson though. I think he is so Great that he could play in any scheme. It's just an opinion but I just think he's the best Guard that has came out in a long time.

Maybe, but imo we can get by with the guards we currently have unlike LBer where we are extremely thin

47 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

(Updated for clarification. I am not unhappy with the idea of taking Nelson, I think hes a phenomenal player.)

So, I've spent the last 3 months digging through hundreds of rankings, watching film, reading evaluations, and skimming through the relentless release of mock drafts, and I've come across a frightening reality...

It appears that everyone is expecting a huge run on Offensive lineman in the back half of the first round. I'll use the final mock drafts of Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, and Mike Mayock as just 3 examples.

Kiper: Nelson (8), McGlinchey (10), Ragnow (21), Miller (23), Hernandez (26), Daniels (30)   6 Total

McShay: Nelson (6), McGlinchey (15), Ragnow (21), Wynn (22), Hernandez (24), Daniels (30), Miller (31)   7 Total

Mayock: Nelson (5), McGlinchey (10), Ragnow (21), Wynn (22), Miller (23), Hernandez (30), Daniels (31)    7 Total

Now, McShay has Nelson mocked to us at 6, and Mayock has Wynn mocked to us at 22 after a projected trade with Buffalo, but my point is that 7 of the top O-Lineman are possibly off the board, maybe even more, before we get to our 2nd round picks.

I know people have said that the O-line class has some depth this year, but to me, it seems pretty top heavy, with most of the top assets gone before before we hit the 2nd round.

I’m sick and tired and putting O-line on the back burner. We need to invest HEAVILY in protecting Andrew and we need to do it THIS YEAR with ZERO EXCEPTIONS. No more 4th and 5th round developmental prospects. We need sure fire players in front of Luck and I would invest in Nelson and feel really good about it, as long as Chubb is off the board.

I love Nelson....   one of my favorite players in this or any other draft...

But Ballard has publicly stated there are quality interior lineman in R's 2, 3, and 4.

If we don't take Nelson I have every confidence that Ballard will find a quality OL after the first round.   Remember, we found Jack Mewhirt around pick 60.   

We WILL find a quality O-lineman.   Trust  Ballard and his staff...    Don't punish him because of Grigson's mistakes...

40 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

If you want a difference maker on the Offensive Line to finally, after 7 years, adequately protect Andrew, then yes. Have.

All they have to do is trade back again and get another 2nd. rounder as part of the trade.  Then they could easily trade back into the first again and secure an OL.  You could also trade with Miami and get RT Juwan James as part of the trade along with a 2nd. and trade back into the first for an OL and you now have two new young starters on the OL.   

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But Ballard has publicly stated there are quality interior lineman in R's 2, 3, and 4.

If we don't take Nelson I have every confidence that Ballard will find a quality OL after the first round.   Remember, we found Jack Mewhirt around pick 60.   

We WILL find a quality O-lineman.   Trust  Ballard and his staff...    Don't punish him because of Grigson's mistakes...

Ballard missed on Banner in the later rounds.  He couldn't even make the team.  I'm all for addressing the OL in the 1st two rounds.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The depth of round 2 and 3 has risen into the top of round 1. Thats the issue. When Ballard made that comment months ago, most of the guys from my original post were mid 2's, early 3's. Now theyve made their way into the 1st. Thats my point. We may not be able to achieve the desired level of talent if we wait til round 2. The top crop could be gone by then and we would be stuck with more developmental talent all over again. Its time for a change.

5 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

The depth of round 2 and 3 has risen into the top of round 1. Thats the issue. When Ballard made that comment months ago, most of the guys from my original post were mid 2's, early 3's. Now theyve made their way into the 1st. Thats my point. We may not be able to achieve the desired level of talent if we wait til round 2. The top crop could be gone by then and we would be stuck with more developmental talent all over again. Its time for a change.

There are still many more quality interior lineman available...   I'm not in position to post them now...   but I will in roughly an hour or so...

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I’m pretty sure that not “wanting” those two guys is the half of forum consensus. I’d actually say your last sentence is the more realistic consensus of the forum, meaning there are literally about 5 guys most people here will not be upset over taking. I’m sure everyone has a favorite and hopes it’s their pick but I’m certainly not going to be mad with any of those and a couple others or the trade down.

I used to be huge in wanting Nelson, then it was Chubb and after reading the direction of schemes we plan on going for offense and defense, the one person who makes complete sense is Roquan Smith and that is who I expect we take but again in no way will I be upset if we take Barkley, Nelson or Chubb. 

• Like 1

I've wanted Nelson all along. Even at 3... I really want him at 6. that said though, IF Chubb is there, Again IF Chubb is there at 6, I think you have to take Chubb at 6. Why? Pass rushers that are dominant rarely are found anymore outside the top 15 in a draft. While I know Andrew has been beat to hell and I really want Nelson, this draft does have some deep OL, the deepest we've seen in 7 plus years. Plus combined with a high tempo offense, i think we're not going to be seeing 5-7 step drops and hold onto the ball for 5-6 seconds like we have been. All of which combined should help the OL issues

• Like 2

I'm a Nelson fan and I think he would do just fine in a zone blocking scheme... it's one of the reasons he is considered a generational talent because he's not just a mauler or just a zone blocker or just a gap blocker, he has the skills, footwork and strength to do it all.

That being said.  You can have a great offensive line with good guards, you don't need great players to have a great offensive line.

On the flip side of that, in a cover 2 type D you do need a "great" at each level to have a great D.  You need a great dlineman whether that is DE or DT.  You need a great LB at either MIKE or WILL and you need a great DB. 

You can draft good guards in rounds 2-4, it is harder to find great DL and great LBers after the 1st two rounds.  Not saying it can't be done (Mathis is proof of that) but it is harder.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I've wanted Nelson all along. Even at 3... I really want him at 6. that said though, IF Chubb is there, Again IF Chubb is there at 6, I think you have to take Chubb at 6. Why? Pass rushers that are dominant rarely are found anymore outside the top 15 in a draft. While I know Andrew has been beat to hell and I really want Nelson, this draft does have some deep OL, the deepest we've seen in 7 plus years. Plus combined with a high tempo offense, i think we're not going to be seeing 5-7 step drops and hold onto the ball for 5-6 seconds like we have been. All of which combined should help the OL issues

The only thing that concerns we with Chubb is does he match our defense? He lacks speed but has great power. Doesn’t our scheme rely more on speed than power? Didn’t Polian come out saying he wouldn’t be a good fit for this style ignored defense, as well as a few other talent evaluators? BPA is one thing but if they don’t fit your scheme, you either change the whole scheme or plug the round peg in the square hole and hope this superior talent can adjust to the scheme. That’s my only concern for Chubb and Indy. 

26 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

The only thing that concerns we with Chubb is does he match our defense? He lacks speed but has great power. Doesn’t our scheme rely more on speed than power? Didn’t Polian come out saying he wouldn’t be a good fit for this style ignored defense, as well as a few other talent evaluators? BPA is one thing but if they don’t fit your scheme, you either change the whole scheme or plug the round peg in the square hole and hope this superior talent can adjust to the scheme. That’s my only concern for Chubb and Indy. 

Has an edge player he doesn't have great speed but as a 4-3 defense end he has enough speed to get to the QB before he throws the ball. 

42 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

He's played in a 4-3. The knock on Chubb was a lack of speed to play a 3-4 OLB. 

2 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

So..  

Your sources have 7 guys going in the first.....     here's why we're still ok...

At guard... we still have...   Corbett, Smith, Pryor, Gossett, Teller and Phillips...  

At center...    we still have. ..   Price, quessenberry, Cole and Clapp...

At tackle...   some might also kick inside tovguard I'd need be or who could be candidates for RT if that's what we prefer...    we still have....

Williams, Christionson, O'Neill, Brown, Crosby, Jones,  Noteboom... 

So, as Ballard has stated, there are still plenty of prospects left for R's 2, 3, 4...

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard missed on Banner in the later rounds.  He couldn't even make the team.  I'm all for addressing the OL in the 1st two rounds.  

I don't care about Banner...   he wasn't a reach...   he didn't work out for whatever reason.    But he went around pick 135...  

We are now talking someone between pick 36 and pick 104 in a draft deep for interior lineman.   There are still plenty of quality guys available for the Colts.

Look at the post above this one...   I've listed all the candidates that will be available to us...

Trust Ballard.    He's not Grigson...

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

If we are going to a zone blocking scheme then Nelson is not gonna be our pick. He's a mauler type of blocking. He's not athletic enough to pull imo

Wow, thats absurd. He is easily the best athlete among the lineman this year and is fantastic on the move, its what makes him a great prospect.