LucasOilStadium

2018 NFL Draft Thread

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Wow.  So Ballard essentially trades picks 12, 53 and 56 for a G.  Just wow.

Just how do you know what Ballard was doing? You don't seem to know what you are doing let alone Ballard.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

To be honest I probably would have traded with Bills but Ballard is showing his commitment to protecting Luck.

• Like 1

Just now, oldunclemark said:

He traded 12, 53 and 56...for the No,1 player in the draft

Even if this was nailed on true there then is the argument about positional value. It’s a G, not a QB/Pass Rusher/LT.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

will be interesting to see where smith and edmunds go now

i had nelson as my third choice and chubb and barkley were gone

Same with me...it was like a guy punch to miss Chubb but I still like Nelson. What do we do in the second round now...has to be heavy defense correct?

• Like 1

Just now, bluebombers87 said:

A bird in hand is worth two in the Bush. No guarantee a once in a decade player in a position of great need is available.

A solid (not great) o line helps the offense. Luck has shown he can win in shootouts. We’ll need that. A great d player can keep the opponent from dropping 20+ on you but you still need an o to put up the points. This keeps Luck healthy, opens up the run game, and wins games. It’s what we need, maybe not we wanted.

Exactly. Had Grigson made moves like this he would still be here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Surge89 said:

There are plenty of comparable guards in this draft... Wynn Hernandez Price Ragnow all have just as much ability as Nelson.  And 2 of those are even a better fit in our offense... We will be predominantly in zone and a zone guard doesn't have to be the best guard ever to be productive.

If you think those two have equal talent to Nelson then there’s nothing else to say at this juncture.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Who are the comparable Guards. I disagree. There are decent prospects at Guards but nobody like Nelson. I guess we just take the sexy pick and keep getting Luck knocked out??

Wynn, Hernandez, Price... I mean plenty of guards are going to be just as impactful as Nelson.  This is a good guard class.  And it's very arguable that the later guards are more of a fit for our zone blocking scheme...  But as I said spilled milk is spilled milk.

9 minutes ago, BCoop said:

It's the #6 overall pick for a guard. That's an extremely high cost. 

This fanbase has lost all perspective. 

Most "experts" had him ranked as one of the top 2 players in the entire draft...

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And Buffalo gives up 2 seconds to move up to 7, and wanted to move up to 5.  So Nelson is worth #12 and 2 seconds?  Nobody in their right mind would say that.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Wow.  So Ballard essentially trades picks 12, 53 and 56 for a G.  Just wow.

You don't know for a fact that Buffalo even called. Besides, Ballard said he wasn't going to trade out of the top ten weeks ago. 

Its a safe and justified pick. I don't think the buffalo trade would be worth it, I don't see Edmunds or Smith still being there at 12 with how things have gone.

Remember the 2nd round will make or break our draft. Bottom line, I'd rather pick an OL in the first round who will last 10 years and be a probowler throughout his career than spent a 2nd rounder on an OL and risk him going bust and having to waste another pick on an OL in the future. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just how do you know what Ballard was doing? You don't seem to know what you are doing let alone Ballard.

I dont think it’s a reach to assume ww

got a similar offer. Can the personal

shots. 

• Like 1

I wanted a LB but Nelson will change the culture in Indy. That’s a pretty nice side of the line from Castonzo to Kelly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, esmort said:

You know the phone was ringing and we likely turned down a good offer to pick a guard ....

#12 and 2,2nds for #6?

no thanks.  Our move from 3 to 6 was better.

not flashy, but Nelson was a smart pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, dgambill said:

Same with me...it was like a guy punch to miss Chubb but I still like Nelson. What do we do in the second round now...has to be heavy defense correct?

yeah we really need to look for linebackers, but i wouldnt stray too far from bpa

we could use a running back that goes between the tackles to pair with nelson  

• Like 1

I have a feeling Josh Rosen will end up being the best QB in this draft

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

There are plenty of comparable guards in this draft... Wynn Hernandez Price Ragnow all have just as much ability as Nelson.  And 2 of those are even a better fit in our offense... We will be predominantly in zone and a zone guard doesn't have to be the best guard ever to be productive.

They have some flaw

We play in the AFC South where we face the Texans & Jags with their insane pass rush twice a year.  Anyone having a problem with our pick should have their head examined.  Ballard did what he simply had to do.  Protect Luck.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I dont think it’s a reach to assume ww

got a similar offer. Can the personal

shots. 

After the comments he has been making?  OK, if you say so.

To be clear I think Nelson is a plug and play starter for the next 5 years. I just agree with other posters that there might have possibly been potential of more opportunity. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I have a feeling Josh Rosen will end up being the best QB in this draft

Aarron Rodgers had to wait.

• Like 1

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

After the comments he has been making?  OK, if you say so.

I do say so, he’s allowed an opinion on the picks.

12 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Why Not?

It covers a massive need the biggest actually 

I'm in the philosophy no guard is worth a top 10 pick, every guard drafted top 10 in the draft for the past 20 years have been a bust 

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

#12 and 2,2nds for #6?

no thanks.  Our move from 3 to 6 was better.

not flashy, but Nelson was a smart pick.

I would have rather had the 12 and 2 2nds than a guard at #6

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

To be clear I think Nelson is a plug and play starter for the next 5 years. I just agree with other posters that there might have possibly been potential of more opportunity. 

Who?

1 minute ago, esmort said:

I would have rather had the 12 and 2 2nds than a guard at #6

Is that you Mr Grigson?

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

I do say so, he’s allowed an opinion on the picks.

What I said to him was an opinion. Not a personal shot. haha

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't know about you but I love the pick. Lets build a wall around Andrew. He and Kelly should work well together. Ballard has 3 picks in Round 2 so I bet he goes Defensive heavy there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

A bird in hand is worth two in the Bush. No guarantee a once in a decade player in a position of great need is available.

A solid (not great) o line helps the offense. Luck has shown he can win in shootouts. We’ll need that. A great d player can keep the opponent from dropping 20+ on you but you still need an o to put up the points. This keeps Luck healthy, opens up the run game, and wins games. It’s what we need, maybe not we wanted.

And Ray Guy was a once in a decade punter.  So what.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Wynn, Hernandez, Price... I mean plenty of guards are going to be just as impactful as Nelson.  This is a good guard class.  And it's very arguable that the later guards are more of a fit for our zone blocking scheme...  But as I said spilled milk is spilled milk.

And we may still get another one of those guards if they're still around in the 2nd.

Can't wait to see how tomorrow plays out.

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Who?

I meant in terms of getting the 2 x 2nds. It looks like a very good player will be there at 12 and I’d like to have seen us leverage those 2nds to trade back into the 1st to snag a faller. 

If Edmunds was there at 12 I’d take it for one.

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Wow.  Last year CB picks an overrated safety, now this year an overrated G.  Ballard is worse than Grigson.

I was thinking of you first and foremost....

The last time I said you hate Ballard you strongly denied it.   Guess there's no denying it anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol this is hilarious to watch fans think they know what's best.....just like the "you never draft a rb in the first rd" man, get that crap out here with that arm chair gm 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, DougDew said:

And Ray Guy was a once in a decade punter.  So what.

Guard helps protect Luck. Guard allows receivers to run routes. Guard opens up holes for RB. Offense scores points. You need points to win games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1