Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 NFL Draft Thread

LucasOilStadium

8 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

There are plenty of comparable guards in this draft... Wynn Hernandez Price Ragnow all have just as much ability as Nelson.  And 2 of those are even a better fit in our offense... We will be predominantly in zone and a zone guard doesn't have to be the best guard ever to be productive.

Those players do not have any where near the ability if Nelson.  Hernandez is a road grader like Nelson, but is not as good in pass protection. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

I meant in terms of getting the 2 x 2nds. It looks like a very good player will be there at 12 and I’d like to have seen us leverage those 2nds to trade back into the 1st to snag a faller. 

If Edmunds was there at 12 I’d take it for one.

No One knows what would happen

1 minute ago, WoolMagnet said:

Is that you Mr Grigson?

Lets see who is there at #12 and what guard is available in the second ... I bet the #12 + 2nd round guard (not even taking into account the additional picks) looks better than Nelson + 2nd rnd player X. 

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Entitled to your opinion like everyone else bud, but that doesn’t mean he will be

That's very moderate of you haha thanks, I just feel history is a good indicator. I hope I'm wrong though

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

No One knows what would happen

Well certainly not now. But it’s looking likely, heck you take Fitzpatrick at 12 and get decent value. 

Again, I think Nelson is more think likely going to be a very goodnight player for us so I’m not hugely upset. 

10 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

There are plenty of comparable guards in this draft... Wynn Hernandez Price Ragnow all have just as much ability as Nelson.  And 2 of those are even a better fit in our offense... We will be predominantly in zone and a zone guard doesn't have to be the best guard ever to be productive.

Why settle for less.?  A zone guard doesn't have to be the best guard. But what of he is..

This was the consensus top offensive lineman...  rated well ahead of the 4 you mentioned.

We did very, very well....the surest bet at our weakest position..

Its done..and we won

• Like 1

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

Well certainly not now. But it’s looking likely, heck you take Fitzpatrick at 12 and get decent value. 

Again, I think Nelson is more think likely going to be a very goodnight player for us so I’m not hugely upset. 

You putting him to bed

I asked you because I did not want to ask some

3 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

That’s a straw man argument and you know it.

Not at all.  No such thing as a G that's worth 2 players in the 50s.  Just isnt.  If we held pat and selected the best punter in the decade at 6 it would be about the same thing.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Not at all.  No such thing as a G that's worth 2 players in the 50s.  Just isnt.  If we held pat and selected the best punter in the decade at 6 it would be about the same thing.

No it is, because using your logic of positional value a punter is not a good comparison to this situation. 

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Why settle for less.?  A zone guard doesn't have to be the best guard. But what of he is..

This was the consensus top offensive lineman...  rated well ahead of the 4 you mentioned.

We did very, very well....the surest bet at our weakest position..

Its done..and we won

In a way we did settle for less. We for sure need linebackers.  And instead of taking a guard who can have a comparable impact on our line we now have a guard who will be great but not much more impact than what could've been had in the 2nd and a way less talented linebacker.  And most likely we have to get a receiver and running back in the 2nd since that's where the value is so our future starting linebackers will be a 3rd rounder and later... We missed big.  That's alot to sacrifice for a guard. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

You’re right. Should’ve gotten a pass rusher and watch Luck get killed by the Texans and jags and get hurt. We don’t need a franchise qb when we can watch our d get all those sacks!!!!!!!

It proves again how superb a GM Ballard is. Wasn't bothered by the pressure to take a flashy pick. Did the wise thing and picked an instant front runner for our team.

The OL works as a group. Joe Haeg said that having to play next to a different player nearly every snap last season was bad for morale and confidence. Our Oline and QB will know they can trust Nelson and almost ignore any threats coming from his lane.

Drafting Nelson is almost like drafting a healthy Luck and after last season we cant mess around. The last thing we need is an early retirement for Luck and Ballard trying to draft risky QB's like Mayfield at 1.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

.... again you don't know what Buffalo offered or even IF they offered to the Colts. Yours grasping at nothing at all.