LucasOilStadium

2018 NFL Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I'm not underrating Nelson.  It's everyone else overrating him.  There's good reason why Guards don't go top 10.  It's hard to feel the game impact of guards.  It's noticebale yes but not very impactful on the game.  

Everyone here is acting like we drafted a left tackle.  We drafted a guard. A damn good one but was it worth what we lost for this?  I don't think so that is all.

What did we lose? You can't lose something you don't have?!? If anything, be upset cause we traded back from 3 when we could have had Chubb

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Jackson has a chance to be RGIII

I think he's better then RG3 and will surprise 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Huh? Guards don’t block edge rushers. Tackles don’t get double teams to help block rushers. Maybe a chip from a TE or RB. Nelson will have no impact on helping the edge. He should be able to handle DT without help so our center can help our other guard....that and run blocking. So this has nothing to do with Clowney.

My bad. Read the first sentence. He can block a DT and allow a double on an edge. And there are plenty of DTs that require double teams.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Well we still have 4 second round picks.. that's nearly 20 percent of a starting roster right there alone.  

What gets me is that most on this forum whined for the last several years about going BPA regardless of need, every expert top 100 I saw had Barkley, Chubb and Nelson as the top three players regardless of position. 2 of those were gone already. 

4 second rounders?

I’d have looked to use the additional picks to trade back into the first the way the draft is shaking out right now. 

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Jackson has a chance to be RGIII

I think he is more like Vick. Some accuracy issues in the pocket but he is the most explosive player in the draft. Had Vick not gone to jail who knows if he gets his team to a SB in Atlanta. 

Just now, akcolt said:

I think he's better then RG3 and will surprise 

He struggled in the Pocket at times 

One injury and he could struggle

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Huh? Guards don’t block edge rushers. Tackles don’t get double teams to help block rushers. Maybe a chip from a TE or RB. Nelson will have no impact on helping the edge. He should be able to handle DT without help so our center can help our other guard....that and run blocking. So this has nothing to do with Clowney.

Actually,  guards do sometimes help block edge rushers, some slide protections will have a guard help on an edge.

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

This could be a Ricky Williams type trade

Close enough but not there yet. :)

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Golly.  I knew Nelson was reported as good, but I didn't realize he could block everybody at the same time from one position.  

In a way he will.   Everyone on the line will be better.  This is a great pick that anchors the spot with a pro bowl calibur player for a decade.

• Like 2

What did we lose? You can't lose something you don't have?!? If anything, be upset cause we traded back from 3 when we could have had Chubb

A valid point, you an argue we might have for even more of a haul or just taken Chubb straight up. Jets did well to have Darnold fall into their laps.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I think he is more like Vick. Some accuracy issues in the pocket but he is the most explosive player in the draft. Had Vick not gone to jail who knows if he gets his team to a SB in Atlanta. 

Agreed but he seemed to rely on his legs 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

4 second rounders?

I’d have looked to use the additional picks to trade back into the first the way the draft is shaking out right now. 

Sorry, 3. 

2 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

How is Edmunds still on the board??? Trade up!!!!!!

I’d love this and it would make me look silly for bellyaching not trading out of 6 :lol:

Sorry, 3. 

I figured it was a typo but then you made me panic I’d missed a trade!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

In a way he will.   Everyone on the line will be better.  This is a great pick that anchors the spot with a pro bowl calibur player for a decade.

So would have two Gs in the 2nd.  Its not the player, its the incremental value we're giving up.

There is nobody who would have advocated trading 12, 53, and 56 to move up for Nelson.  Nobody.  Be happy about the player if you want, but rationalizing the pick given alternatives makes no sense.

But onward to the rest of the draft. Go Colts.

• Confused 2

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

I’d love this and it would make me look silly for bellyaching not trading out of 6 :lol:

Nevermind haha 

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

I figured it was a typo but then you made me panic I’d missed a trade!

Something has to be wrong with Edmunds

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Miller?! 

Ok there’s some strange picks for sure going on, at least we went safe! 

Its called positional value.  Talent means less if its in a lesser position.

Just now, DougDew said:

So would have two Gs in the 2nd.  Its not the player, its the incremental value we're giving up.

There is nobody who would have advocated trading 12, 53, and 56 to move up for Nelson.  Nobody.  Be happy about the player if you want, but rationalizing the pick given alternatives makes no sense.

Please provide proof that Buffalo offered that... you can't give up something you don't have. It's completely illogical

• Like 1

Chargers are probably giddy that Derwin James dropped in their laps, a very good secondary will get better if they get him

Just now, DougDew said:

Its called positional value.  Talent means less if its in a lesser position.

Yes...but I don’t think he’s the 2nd best OT. 

• Like 1

Please provide proof that Buffalo offered that... you can't give up something you don't have. It's completely illogical

LOL you do realize this is the exact trade they did with the Bucs who picked right after the Colts right so its very clear Ballard could've of made this trade but opted Nelson was too good to pass up...

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

If TB got that, it is pretty safe to assume we could have gotten at least that ... they knew the Colts pick was likely in play I would bet they called Colts before TB.

• Like 1

You know that the proof isn’t available, certainly not right now.

Ballard said he turned down an offer, given the Bills went after the next pick, it’s really not illogical to make an assumption we might have received a similar offer.

• Like 1

Proof?  I'm not in the draft room. 

It was reported that they offered the same trade to Denver at 5, who killed the deal while on the clock because Chubb was on the Board. Then they traded with TB at 7.  And at the quick presser, CB said he had offers.  I'm connecting the dots.

• Like 1

I’d like to know exactly who on this thread was in the room when the call came through...hmmmm???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Went higher than what I thought 

As did McGlinchey, probably higher than you thought.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Chargers are probably giddy that Derwin James dropped in their laps, a very good secondary will get better if they get him

Called it - Telesco goes BPA a lot