Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 NFL Draft Thread

LucasOilStadium

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

You’re right. Should’ve gotten a pass rusher and watch Luck get killed by the Texans and jags and get hurt. We don’t need a franchise qb when we can watch our d get all those sacks!!!!!!!

Golly.  I knew Nelson was reported as good, but I didn't realize he could block everybody at the same time from one position.  

3 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

In a way we did settle for less. We for sure need linebackers.  And instead of taking a guard who can have a comparable impact on our line we now have a guard who will be great but not much more impact than what could've been had in the 2nd and a way less talented linebacker.  And most likely we have to get a receiver and running back in the 2nd since that's where the value is so our future starting linebackers will be a 3rd rounder and later... We missed big.  That's alot to sacrifice for a guard. 

Our linebacker corps will be useless if we can’t keep Luck healthy. Still need points to win. Those other “comparable guards” don’t have anywhere near the ability as Nelson. We got a bionic leg as opposed to a peg leg. Sure both work but what would you want?

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

.... again you don't know what Buffalo offered or even IF they offered to the Colts. Yours grasping at nothing at all.

No we don’t know for sure, but Ballard did say he received a call. It’s not a reach to

assume it was a similar offer to what TB got.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Golly.  I knew Nelson was reported as good, but I didn't realize he could block everybody at the same time from one position.  

I have neither the patience nor the crayons to illustrate to you how silly t is to not see the value in protecting Luck as paramount.

6 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Our linebacker corps will be useless if we can’t keep Luck healthy. Still need points to win. Those other “comparable guards” don’t have anywhere near the ability as Nelson. We got a bionic leg as opposed to a peg leg. Sure both work but what would you want?

My goodness Nelson isn't the second coming...  He's not going to block 6 people at once.  He's good yes.  And he's the best guard in the class yes.  But let's not act like he's in a different stratosphere of the other guards. 

Smith would have been my choice there, but if you're in a position for BPA: Take BPA. My personal board for BPA was Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Darnold, then Smith.

Nelson was there, and we don't need Fitz (We drafted Hooker last year) and we dont need Darnold, for obvious. Nelson is IMO the BPA here. If Bills offered x2 First Round and their last pick in the 2nd, I might have traded out. I wouldnt take the 12th overall and x2 more 2nd rounders. You're already getting a bevy of 2nd round talent. Take the #1s

• Like 2

My goodness Nelson isn't the second coming...  He's not going to block 6 people at once.  He's good yes.  And he's the best guard in the class yes.  But let's not act like he's in a different stratosphere of the other guards. 

No but he can allow for double teams on edge rushers by blocking a DT one on one. Which guard in the draft can block Clowney one on one?

But he will block 4 at a time while shooting lightening bolts out his ars

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

No we don’t know for sure, but Ballard did say he received a call. It’s not a reach to

assume it was a similar offer to what TB got.

Perhaps. But I'm not sure why everyone is surprised. Ballard said on more than one occasion they were only open to trading back again if they got an impressive offer. Pick 12 and two late 2nd rounders isn't what I'd call impressive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

Everyone will be glad we picked Nelson once the season starts. 

I don’t doubt it, if he plays up to his hype then people will soon forget. Of course say he doesn’t and Smith for example is DROY and it will soon be brought back up. 

The best view for an armchair GM is hindsight!

1 minute ago, Surge89 said:

You are underrating Nelson, if we created a Poll you would be in the minority regarding not liking this pick. I have only seen maybe 4 or 5 others that don't like it. I have read where at least 20 people love it as of now in here and understand it. It was a much needed pick, have to start protecting Luck otherwise we wont be any good. He is much better than any other Guard in the Draft as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

No but he can allow for double teams on edge rushers by blocking a DT one on one. Which guard in the draft can block Clowney one on one?

You think he's nimble enough to block clowney one v one?.... Oh boy people are gonna be dissappointed during the season.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Perhaps. But I'm not sure why everyone is surprised. Ballard said on more than one occasion they were only open to trading back again if they got an impressive offer. Pick 12 and two late 2nd rounders isn't what I'd call impressive. 

Agreed, it’s not a fall out your chair offer, and will look very cheap if Allen works out. I just think with this draft and he holes we have we had a chance to fill quite a few.

Not the end of the world by any means.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not to mention look who came off the board after our pick. I think Ballard did the right thing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are underrating Nelson, if we created a Poll you would be in the minority regarding not liking this pick. I have only seen maybe 4 or 5 others that don't like it. I have read where at least 20 people love it as of now in here and understand it. It was a much needed pick, have to start protecting Luck otherwise we wont be any good. He is much better than any other Guard in the Draft as well.

I'm not underrating Nelson.  It's everyone else overrating him.  There's good reason why Guards don't go top 10.  It's hard to feel the game impact of guards.  It's noticebale yes but not very impactful on the game.  

Everyone here is acting like we drafted a left tackle.  We drafted a guard. A damn good one but was it worth what we lost for this?  I don't think so that is all.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, akcolt said:

But he will block 4 at a time while shooting lightening bolts out his ars

It’s 2.20am here, cheers for giving me a right good lol 

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Why don't scouting reports say that 4 other guys are just as good as Nelson ?

Exactly 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You need to start one bud...oh and I agree. We cannot afford to have Luck go down again. The guy can only take so much...and then what?

11 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Edmunds still on the board at 12, would have been my pick had we taken to trade. Be interesting to see how far he drops. 

If somebody offered me picks 53 and 56, I'd have taken Edmunds, James, Vea, Taven Bryan.....

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Huh? Guards don’t block edge rushers. Tackles don’t get double teams to help block rushers. Maybe a chip from a TE or RB. Nelson will have no impact on helping the edge. He should be able to handle DT without help so our center can help our other guard....that and run blocking. So this has nothing to do with Clowney.

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

Agreed, it’s not a fall out your chair offer, and will look very cheap if Allen works out. I just think with this draft and he holes we have we had a chance to fill quite a few.

Not the end of the world by any means.

Well we still have 4 second round picks.. that's nearly 20 percent of a starting roster right there alone.  

What gets me is that most on this forum whined for the last several years about going BPA regardless of need, every expert top 100 I saw had Barkley, Chubb and Nelson as the top three players regardless of position. 2 of those were gone already. 

• Like 3