Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Too much time between the end of the season and the draft?

oldunclemark

I'd be interested in your thoughts.....

I'd kinda like the draft to be at the start of April so undrafted free agents can shop around as well as vet free agents (Eric Decker, Dez Bryant, Eric Reid) who are still out there

In one respect..delaying the draft ramps up off-season interest (endless mock drafts) in the NFL...Its great for talk-TV and talk radio..

....................but Tuesday is May 1.....and training camp will come up soon.  Got to get your team together staring Tuesday.

Can you see a time when the draft will be even later in the off-season?

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Thanks 1

I will let the teams determine the timing.  Other then that I don't have a problem.

You are probably right they probably delayed the draft for an extra month of media coverage.  But at the same time the teams probably like the extra month to prep for the draft too.  Gives them plenty of time between the high point of free agency and the draft to do scouting.  

I would like to see the draft sooner but the problem will be that the teams will never agree to it. 

People like Belichik will always say they are already too far behind other teams in terms of research if they go deep into the playoffs (nice problem to have) and so there will always be the rhetoric that they need as much time as possible to evaluate, etc.

CFB season ends early January. Id like to see the draft happen 2 weeks after the start of the NFL FA period. This will give teams the chance to fill spots w/ FA's, and immediately draft. Then the second round of FA will come a bit more quickly, allowing more veterans and Undrafted FAs to take part in team mini-camps like the Colts this week.

I always wonder why the NFL draft wasn't more like NBA Draft. The NBA draft is June 21st and the finals start May 31 with latest possible end being June 17th but the biggest key is they do the draft before the free agency starts on July 1st and not after. This way teams don't have to risk not signing a position of need in free agency they might get in the draft like in the NFL. Good example is Vikings last year signing Latavius Murray in free agency because they needed a running back but then Dalvin Cook falls to them with their first pick in the draft and now they basically signed Murray for nothing. Personally I think draft right before free agency would be better.

1 hour ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

I always wonder why the NFL draft wasn't more like NBA Draft. The NBA draft is June 21st and the finals start May 31 with latest possible end being June 17th but the biggest key is they do the draft before the free agency starts on July 1st and not after. This way teams don't have to risk not signing a position of need in free agency they might get in the draft like in the NFL. Good example is Vikings last year signing Latavius Murray in free agency because they needed a running back but then Dalvin Cook falls to them with their first pick in the draft and now they basically signed Murray for nothing. Personally I think draft right before free agency would be better.

Clearly they didn't sign him for nothing...he was an important part of their back field when Cook got hurt....but I do catch your drift. And I'm sure the NFLPA likes free agency first so these veterans get a chance to latch on and the salaries aren't pushed down by these incoming rookies.

The NBA has two rounds....like 60 players. The NFL has like 260 players to evaluate and draft. It takes a lot of time. They have all the pro days etc to work out. I think it could be moved up certainly some....but the NFL wants to keep their name in the headlines and spread out the trickle of information to keep publicity going and advertisers happy. I'm pretty sure every NFL team appreciates the time they have....scouts etc pouring over hundreds of thousands of hours of tape to be prepared to take Mr. Irrelevant in round 7...and target UDFAs. So no matter how much we would appreciate it earlier because we are impatient...it is the way it is for necessity. Besides then there would be even a longer delay from draft to pre-season.

I think it's fine right where it is...

You have the Bowls and All-Star games in January..    Then players start preparing for the combine at special camps...

Then you have the Combine in late February and early March...

Next is Pro Days from March to early April .

Then private workouts and medical rechecks in April...

Teams need all this time to check and double check all players.   By the way, inevpistet in this thread said the NFL is checking on 260 players.  (The draft is typically 256 players).  But teams between the draft and free agency, teams are checking on about 500-600 players, maybe more.   

The amount of work is enormous. 

I like the draft just where it is.

• Like 1

I think it is done so that there is plenty of time for teams to let free agency settle down since the middle of March.

Teams have a solid 5 weeks at least to see the dust settle from free agency and possibly pick up bargains too. As free agency fades, the news of the NFL schedule and the draft takes over with some momentum built up. That is how I see it. Plus, it gives teams plenty of time to get their 30 visits in too following the combine, something they probably did not get to dedicate much time during free agency, at least the first 2-3 weeks.