Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why not Minkah?

I'm surprised barely anyone is considering this guy being drafted by the Colts. I mean, he's a guy you can play multiple positions and if Ballard thinks he can play corner then he fills a huge need for our defense. If the Colts drafted Fitzpatrick at 6 I wouldn't be shocked. This kid can ball.

• Like 1

IDK Corner and safety are two positions I don't think we need as much as others. Minkah seems good, but I believe any LB, DE, and DT(after Hankins release) are more pressing needs than CB/S. I want either Nelson or Edmunds. I am not quite sure why Smith seems more popular I am worried how he can hold up injury wise.

There are all sorts of reasons why not Minka....

First, if he's a safety,  then on the NFL level,  he's a free safety.   He's 205 pounds.    And we already have Hooker.   I don't see the Colts with a two-FS defense.

Second, if Ballard thinks he's a corner,  well, one of the qualities of Ballard's defense is that supposedly we don't need a premium player at the position.    That you can find quality players in the rounds after the first,  so why would you use a top-10 pick on a corner?

Third,   if he's a slot-corner,  well, we have Hairston,  who should be good,  and again,  why use a top-10 pick on a slot-corner, who does not play all three downs?

Minka is a very good player,   but I don't see a fit at all for him with the Colts.    He'd be among my least favorite choices if he were picked.    I'd seriously wonder what Ballard was doing.....

• Like 8

The downside of being a great athlete at multiple positions in college is that you didn't mine the experience at any one position in college.  You were amazing among your peers at that level, but in the NFL, everybody is great.  Thus, you enter the NFL as a Great Athlete, but not necessarily great at any position.  At best, you could be a Teddy Bruschi, Brian Urlacher, or Cato June, who played one position in college, but developed into another in the pros.  But you also run the risk of being a Jabril Peppers or TJ Green.  Amazing athlete, but behind everyone else developing as a position player at the next level.

I like Minkah, and he's on my list of guys.  But there's a danger there.  And I wouldn't be surprised if he falls.

8 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

I'm surprised barely anyone is considering this guy being drafted by the Colts. I mean, he's a guy you can play multiple positions and if Ballard thinks he can play corner then he fills a huge need for our defense. If the Colts drafted Fitzpatrick at 6 I wouldn't be shocked. This kid can ball.

Mike Mayock’s draft from last night mocked him to the Colts in the 12th slot (trade with the Bill’s for their two 1sts and a 2nd. 3 for 1 = Go Colts,)

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

First, if he's a safety,  then on the NFL level,  he's a free safety.   He's 205 pounds.    And we already have Hooker.   I don't see the Colts with a two-FS defense.

Second, if Ballard thinks he's a corner,  well, one of the qualities of Ballard's defense is that supposedly we don't need a premium player at the position.    That you can find quality players in the rounds after the first,  so why would you use a top-10 pick on a corner?

Third,   if he's a slot-corner,  well, we have Hairston,  who should be good,  and again,  why use a top-10 pick on a slot-corner, who does not play all three downs?

Minka is a very good player,   but I don't see a fit at all for him with the Colts.    He'd be among my least favorite choices if he were picked.    I'd seriously wonder what Ballard was doing.....

Well said!! I agree with all of your sentiments. Good player, but not for us.

10 minutes ago, Archer said:

Seriously, Minkah or James are the two names the would make me yell, “What the &#%@!” in angry fashion tonight.  Maybe Saquon..,

Because you don't want a stellar secondary?

Remember what a difference maker / game changer Bob Sanders was?

He is Superior at covering Bigger receivers, TE's, running backs, and defending the middle of the field. Clowns here loosely use the word Elite. This guy's floor should be near that.

We can't trust Geathers or Green, and Hairston is mediocre, so Fitzpatrick would be a Great add.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He is Superior at covering Bigger receivers, TE's, running backs, and defending the middle of the field. Clowns here loosely use the word Elite. This guy's floor should be near that.

We can't trust Geathers or Green, and Hairston is mediocre, so Fitzpatrick would be a Great add.

Clowns? Really?  Just because you have a different opinion does not make anyone clowns. Being right or wrong also does not make anyone a clown.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Safeties and corners, especially for the Colts, tend to get those nagging hamstring and groin injuries that linger through the entire season. We don't have the type of depth in our secondary to endure a rash of injuries and still play well vs a good QB. We have what I feel are very solid starters, but after that it's a little dicey.

For that reason, I could totally get on board with Minkah, Ward, or James in the first round. None of those guys are my first choice, but I'd completely understand the logic behind grabbing one of them.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We will just have to disagree on this one NCF. There is no set size for a SS. Here is a list from last season:

Jamal Adams - 6'0'' 214

Budda Baker - 5'10'' 194

Karl Joseph - 5'10" 205

Eddie Jackson - 6'0" 202

Harrison Smith - 6'2" 214

Justin Simmons - 6'2" 202

There are players slightly bigger than Minkah...and players slightly smaller. So I think Fitzpatrick at 6'0" 204 would play. And I imagine he could add 5 lbs or so of muscle if he needed to...but he doesn't really need to. He is already very good against the run and very athletic.

But the best part is he doesn't have to be pigeon-holed into any position. And with the Colts giving clues about playing more subpackages, having a player like Minkah who can play S and CB would be huge. So he would fit on the field.

And he would probably fit even better in the locker room. Something that few people seem to talk about are his intangibles...like work ethic, leadership and commitment to excellence...the foundation for the type of culture Ballard is trying to build. But to add to that, Minkah has incredible football intelligence...he knew the mechanics of the entire Bama defense and could play every position in the secondary. A guy like that could end up wearing a green dot on his helmet in no time (though I assume that will be a LB because of Eberflus' background). 

I have no idea if Ballard will draft him, but I fully believe he is in consideration.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I have no idea if Ballard will draft him, but I fully believe he is in consideration.

I have to assume Ballard has a very high grade on him. In Mayock's mock he has Colts trading 6 to BUF for 12/22, then taking Minkah & Wynn with those picks. I can't find anything to complain about in that scenario.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I have to assume Ballard has a very high grade on him. In Mayock's mock he has Colts trading 6 to BUF for 12/22, then taking Minkah & Wynn with those picks. I can't find anything to complain about in that scenario.

My only complaint would be Wynn over somone like LVE. But I do really like Wynn as a prospect.

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

We will just have to disagree on this one NCF. There is no set size for a SS. Here is a list from last season:

Jamal Adams - 6'0'' 214

Budda Baker - 5'10'' 194

Karl Joseph - 5'10" 205

Eddie Jackson - 6'0" 202

Harrison Smith - 6'2" 214

Justin Simmons - 6'2" 202

There are players slightly bigger than Minkah...and players slightly smaller. So I think Fitzpatrick at 6'0" 204 would play. And I imagine he could add 5 lbs or so of muscle if he needed to...but he doesn't really need to. He is already very good against the run and very athletic.

But the best part is he doesn't have to be pigeon-holed into any position. And with the Colts giving clues about playing more subpackages, having a player like Minkah who can play S and CB would be huge. So he would fit on the field.

And he would probably fit even better in the locker room. Something that few people seem to talk about are his intangibles...like work ethic, leadership and commitment to excellence...the foundation for the type of culture Ballard is trying to build. But to add to that, Minkah has incredible football intelligence...he knew the mechanics of the entire Bama defense and could play every position in the secondary. A guy like that could end up wearing a green dot on his helmet in no time (though I assume that will be a LB because of Eberflus' background). 

Shasta.....   thanks for this....    this is a very good, very thoughtful post...    really appreciate it.

Now,  I don't necessarily agree with all this...   but that's not important...   

Here's what I'd like to share....

What I've read this week is this....    some teams really, really like Minka...   and some teams are really meh on him... and ironically,  these teams feel the way they feel for the EXACT SAME REASONS. 

Some teams see Minka as good to very good in everything,  but not very good to great in anything.   For some teams,  they like that.    And for other teams,  they're not so crazy about that.    I guess it depends on what role you see Minka playing for you.  

Honestly,  like you,  I'd love to know how Ballard and his staff view Minka.      But since Ballard has publicly talked about the importance of the "front 7" in his new defense,  it's hard for me to believe he's going to take a safety with his first TWO first round picks.     Hooker and then Minka in back to back picks?    That doesn't add up to me.    But I suppose it's possible...

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

well the only thing I see about taking him is because of the tampa 2 sceem that would call for two more ball hawking safties (so he and hooker would be those two in the back) with that said I would not want to draft him but that could be a reason for picking him