Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Matt Miller] At least 5 teams have failed Leighton Vander Esch medically, Josh Sweat with knee condition similar to Myles Jack

http://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-x3phd-3eed7e4

[at about 3:00]

There were rumors by walterfootball swirling around last week that a team has failed LVE because of concerns about a neck/spine injury from a couple of years ago. His representation were very quick to squash that rumor down and even Rapoport(or Schefter, I don't remember who it was) refuted the report later that day on TV. They cited that he got a grade of 4 out of 5 for health by teams which is pretty good and reportedly higher than Roquan Smith. But today on his podcast 'Stick to football' Matt Miller reported that he's talked to 5 teams that have confirmed that they have taken Vander Esch off their boards because of that injury. Miller still says that some teams still have no failed him and he still might go round 1. 

[at 9:55]

Also he mentioned teams have flagged Josh Sweat because of his injury because he has degenerative knee condition. According to him teams compare his situation to Myles Jack where he's OK to play now, but his longevity might not be great. 

• Thanks 1

This is becoming weird. Information and counters coming day after day, I don't know what to believe anymore:

http://draftanalyst.com/nfl-draft-live-wire-day-1

* There continues to be misinformation floating around about Leighton Vander Esch with recent news that the linebacker failed medical exams and was removed from draft boards. The information passed on to me from a general manager this morning is that 27 teams gave Vander Esch a passing grade on his medicals and five teams flagged him -- no team flunked him. Flagging means a team will move a player down 10-20 slots on a draft board due to a red flag, in this case Vander Esch’s neck. Flunking means the team has removed the player from their board. The information passed to me states no team flunked Vander Esch for medicals or any other reason.

* More important for the Boise State linebacker is the leaking of information from theDallas Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steelers. Both teams gave Vander Esch a passing grade on medicals. I feel reasonably certain he ends up with Dallas at the 18th pick.

Either his knee/neck is in bad shape and his people are trying to hide it (unlikely, because the teams have the actual medical info), or teams are trying to float bad information in hopes he drops in the draft (which sucks and is unlikely to work, but it might). 

BTW I don't want to open an entirely new thread about another injury report, but rotoworld is reporting teams believe Sony Michel has bone on bone condition on his knee as well and is expected to fall in the draft. 

Yeah, saw that report about Sony last night. Timing makes it seem like a team trying to get him to drop, but even aside from his torn ACL, he got hurt in the SEC Championship game. They said it was a knee injury and it seemed like nothing but who knows. Could be another Jay Ajayi.

As for LVE, I tend to think he's probably fine. Maybe just skepticism about his neck/spine (I saw rumors/speculation that some think he has that narrowing of the spine condition). Although I'm just not that high on him to begin with, or at least I like other LB's more at better value.

14 hours ago, stitches said:

http://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-x3phd-3eed7e4

[at about 3:00]

There were rumors by walterfootball swirling around last week that a team has failed LVE because of concerns about a neck/spine injury from a couple of years ago. His representation were very quick to squash that rumor down and even Rapoport(or Schefter, I don't remember who it was) refuted the report later that day on TV. They cited that he got a grade of 4 out of 5 for health by teams which is pretty good and reportedly higher than Roquan Smith. But today on his podcast 'Stick to football' Matt Miller reported that he's talked to 5 teams that have confirmed that they have taken Vander Esch off their boards because of that injury. Miller still says that some teams still have no failed him and he still might go round 1. 

[at 9:55]

Also he mentioned teams have flagged Josh Sweat because of his injury because he has degenerative knee condition. According to him teams compare his situation to Myles Jack where he's OK to play now, but his longevity might not be great. 

I think two things can be equally true with LVE - some teams are scared of the injury history, and won't take him based on the one stellar year in a down Mountain West, and the score was 4 out of 5 and he's as healthy as any other LB can be, meaning most teams haven't moved him one bit on their board.