Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Schefter] Callaway tested positive for marijuana at the combine

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Jared...   you're changing your story....   back then you opposed using a second round pick on the guy...   pretty much everyone in the discussion didn't like the idea of using a second...   and that was BEFORE we all learned Calloway flunked his test and NOW you believe it?!?

Come on....

Peters and Calloway are not the guy...   they never were.

I always hated the idea of using a 2nd rounder on him. Was always against it. However, I believed Ballard may of done it. Never wanted it to happen though.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

The part of it about the Colts visiting Callaway was credible since there was confirmation the following days with information about the Colts having a long talk with Callaway at his pro day. I didn't trust the second round part though... 

Yes...   and that's what I'm talking about....   I have no problem believing we met and talked to the kid...    I just have a problem with the the info that leaked out... 

Thats the part that is not credible...

And I'd add this....   IF we told Calloway of our interest and the round we'd use to draft him, then it was a test.   We likely told him and also told him NOT to tell anyone...   and it leaks out.    If there is any truth to this than Calloway flunked his test...    otherwise this doesn't add up...

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes...   and that's what I'm talking about....   I have no problem believing we met and talked to the kid...    I just have a problem with the the info that leaked out... 

Thats the part that is not credible...

And I'd add this....   IF we told Calloway of our interest and the round we'd use to draft him, then it was a test.   We likely told him and also told him NOT to tell anyone...   and it leaks out.    If there is any truth to this than Calloway flunked his test...    otherwise this doesn't add up...

Or maybe his agent at the time leaked it to boost his client's draft stock. "Look...the Colts and Chris Ballard are considering drafting my client in the 2nd round, so you should too."

Interestingly, he just hired his current agent two weeks ago, which was a couple weeks after the Colts met with him and the rumor started. Apparently, when he was informed that he tested positive, Callaway and his former agent parted ways (not sure who fired who...but it was probably the agent).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Interestingly, he just hired his current agent two weeks ago, which was a couple weeks after the Colts met with him and the rumor started. Apparently, when he was informed that he tested positive, Callaway and his former agent parted ways (not sure who fired who...but it was probably the agent).

Yup, his agent now is Malki Kawa, same guy who keeps managing to get Jon Jones off lightly for PED tests, or about as light as you can get off in MMA. Kawa seems like kind of a scumbag (for various reasons other than the Jon Jones stuff) but he's good at getting people off lightly.

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

No excuses especially for a projected NFL player, However, I hope you've been perfect your entire life. You sound like an NFL GM or scout. ijbh

The point is that he didn't have to be perfect his entire life. All he had to do was have enough self-control to stay off the weed when he knew he was going to be tested, and yet he did it anyway. It's not like the date of the combine, or the fact that every prospect was going to be drug tested, was some deep, dark secret. 

If the Colts want to take a flier on him in the 7th round or as a UDFA, fine. It's not like you're going to have much more than a crapshoot in the 7th round anyway. Maybe he can turn his life around. Maybe he can start acting like a grownup. And just maybe he can make something of himself. If not, it's no great loss. 

6 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yup, his agent now is Malki Kawa, same guy who keeps managing to get Jon Jones off lightly for PED tests, or about as light as you can get off in MMA. Kawa seems like kind of a scumbag but then, I guess that just means he's pretty good at his job.

It's not just Jones...it's a whole list of dudees that have failed drug tests. Actually, on second thought, the fact that Callaway hired this guy probably takes him off my board.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

It's not just Jones...it's a whole list of dudees that have failed drug tests. Actually, on second thought, the fact that Callaway hired this guy probably takes him off my board.

Oh no doubt, he seems like the go to guy for MMA/football guys who get busted.

9 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

The point is that he didn't have to be perfect his entire life. All he had to do was have enough self-control to stay off the weed when he knew he was going to be tested, and yet he did it anyway. It's not like the date of the combine, or the fact that every prospect was going to be drug tested, was some deep, dark secret. 

If the Colts want to take a flier on him in the 7th round or as a UDFA, fine. It's not like you're going to have much more than a crapshoot in the 7th round anyway. Maybe he can turn his life around. Maybe he can start acting like a grownup. And just maybe he can make something of himself. If not, it's no great loss. 

Thanks GM.

2 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

To be honest, I really have no problem with a 21 yr old who smoked some weed. We all do a lot of silly stuff when we are young. I do have concerns about the alleged sexual assault and credit card theft. Those things would take him off my board before a kid smoking weed. I'm not saying I'm against taking a late round flier on the kid, but I won't be up in arms if he is off the board for us. I trust Chris Ballard's decision making on this.

The only reason I care is because the NFL drug testing is a bad joke and amounts to little more than an intelligence test.  They only catch dummies and we don't need dummies. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...