Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Baker Mayfield

TonyHose

17 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

" Baker blew me away. Highly, highly intelligent. Highly competitive."

Show me 1 person who made it to the NFL that played in college who isn't driven or competitive CBFL? Motivations can differ like why the game interests various athletes like money, fame, women, rings, or a HOF career that can serve as a stepping stone to acting roles on TV or in Hollywood. 

You forgot highly intelligent...  but I digress.

All that article proved is that GMs, scouts, & talent evaluators can change their minds about NFL draft prospects. Not exactly deep or all that profound or earth shattering to me actually. 

RG3 was supposed to change the RedSkins fortunes too & we all know how that turned out don't we? 

Hmmm... won NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors -- the first time a rookie QB ever won that award in his first game?  He beat out both Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson for Offense ROY, by almost 3-1 voting margin over each?

Then he succumbed to the 'run first' QB injury disease we all predicted?  Injuries hurt his career,  and looking at Luck last year, and so far this year... well... glass houses and stuff.

Look, it's nothing personal. I get that you were just displaying a link that explained why Cleveland went in a different direction. I still think the Browns made a colossal mistake. So be it CBFL. 

You get that... an opinion.  For John Dorsey, it's his life, job, and resume.  He cares not what you or I think, but what the W-L column shows at seasons end.  For a 1-31 team, more than 1 win is a major advancement.

On May 1, 2018 at 7:03 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Some things I found out about Dorsey and his #1 draft choice--

Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL

** Was asked a question today -Mayfield doesn't fit Hue Jackson's archetype at QB, how do you think he feels? My answer: Hue is being asked to win with the players they give him. If he cant do that, he wont be around to complain about Baker being 6'1" anyway. **

Height doesn't concern me. A QB can either play or he can't. I realize you're not claiming that I ever mentioned his physical characteristics or dimensions directly CBFL. 

Dorsey didn't hire Jackson, and this looks like a HC audition for Hue.  Win with my players or c. u.

Appears Dorsey may well have another HC on his radar as well. It's a business.

I think Jackson understands the nature of the NFL. A very fickle business based on W's & L's Hue knows what measuring stick will ultimately be applied regardless of who the GM is. 

Cleveland Browns general manager John Dorsey has reportedly known for six weeks whom he would select No. 1 overall in the NFL draft Thursday night, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

Steve Wyche @wyche89

I just reported @nflnetwork that Head Coach Hue Jackson is fully in the loop with the @Browns draft plans. He has seen the final draft board as have the coordinators, some personnel staffers and ownership, which has signed off on everything.

Draft plans are meaningless next to will I be given 2-3 yrs to develop whatever QB we select to hold down the fort for the 10 yrs. If Jackson has been assured by the owner that he will have at least 3 yrs to develop Baker Mayfield without his job being on the chopping block, I feel better about Hue's longterm future now. Stability is not something Cleveland has been known for. Hopefully, that stereotype or stand operating procedure is now changing for the better. 

Question for you, Darnold has a high turnover rate.  Cleveland plays outdoors, in nasty conditions, notably the 2nd half of the season. Good, safe combo?  Also, Tyrod Taylor is the starting QB this year (Drew Stanton on the roster too).  I can see Mayfield taking over by mid to late October, though.

Turnovers are certainly a red flag. No argument there. Often times, this problem stems from either a throwing motion issue, misreading opposing secondaries, or failing to look off safeties & DBs with your eyes as a QB. That & learning what an open WR, TE, or RB on a check down throw looks like in the NFL as opposed to college. Sam will be fine once he receives the proper instruction & mentorship from his QB coach & veterans breaking down film. It's all about the speed & tempo of the NFL & getting the game to slow down. Aaron Rodgers wasn't the elite field general he is now when he was drafted either. Darnold will be fine. 

Critics compare him to Manziel (which I don't see)

Proponents compare him top Russell Wilson (which I also don't see)

I agree on both counts. He's not Johnny Football & He's nowhere near as elite as RW is or will probably become. 

He can make all the NFL throws
Mayfield's elusiveness in the pocket is more like Alex Smith (who is deceptively good at that!), not RGIII, and looks downfield to pass, not just tuck and run
Mayfield had led the NCAA in passer rating under pressure in 2015, 2016, and 2017. That number was produced in hefty sample sizes of 164 dropbacks under pressure in 2015, 113 in 2016, and 129 in 2017

Baker Mayfield will learn really quick that to win regularly in this league you stay where your protection is & only scramble when your pocket collapses. I do agree that Mayfield does a nice job of keeping his head up on the move. He needs to watch tape on Drew Brees. 

But-
Small hands at 9.25" (as does Case Keenum)
Operates (like most college QB's) from a spread offense scheme. Needs time to learn to operate under center (Tyrod starts)

Ah, the size matters debate. Is this a Presidential debate again? Just kidding! I have heard the argument that large hands & long fingers prevent the ball from being fumbled in rain, snow, or just bad weather in general. I don't really buy it. I get the logic behind it & that it's an accurate claim. But, all I care about is making the right read & moving the chains. 

Dorsey isn't playing it safe, he's taking the guy he thinks will give his team the best chance to win.  He has been around a long time, and knows his paycheck and resume` depend upon Mayfield's performance.  We'll know by the and of next year.

Dorsey is definitely a risk taker. No argument there. All any GM can really go on is gut anyway. Yes, I know medical records, game tape, & drill measurables can only tell a front office so much. Baptism by NFL fire is the only thing that matters now. Eventually, 1 Browns QB plunge has to pay off right? LOL! Tim will tell as you say CBFL. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

You forgot highly intelligent...  but I digress.

Sam Darnold isn't exactly intellectually challenged either. 

Hmmm... won NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors -- the first time a rookie QB ever won that award in his first game?  He beat out both Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson for Offense ROY, by almost 3-1 voting margin over each?

Given the draft picks Washington gave up to acquire RG3, anything less than at least a SB appearance is considered too high a price to pay & a failure in the annals of NFL history in my book. Individual accolades to me mean nothing. You are either a made man or SB Champion or you are not. Harsh I know, but my standards are extremely high. 

Then he succumbed to the 'run first' QB injury disease we all predicted?  Injuries hurt his career,  and looking at Luck last year, and so far this year... well... glass houses and stuff.

I will grant you that. RG3 had no idea how to slide which didn't help his NFL longevity. It was nice to see the Ravens give him a 2nd chance even as a backup. Availability or health is the most important commodity in this league no doubt. 

You get that... an opinion.  For John Dorsey, it's his life, job, and resume.  He cares not what you or I think, but what the W-L column shows at seasons end.  For a 1-31 team, more than 1 win is a major advancement.

Yes, John Dorsey is trying to bring respectability to the Browns. A tall order. I do wonder if Sam secretly said to himself, "I bought this Brown tie for nuthin'? Thanks a lot Cleveland." 

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, DarkSuperman said:

I believe the Browns just drafted two guys who will eventually be busts.

In regard to Mayfield I agree but I will give Ward a year or two to determine that. The only reason I'm not saying that about Mayfield is because he has already shown off the field and on the field maturity issues.