Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Baker Mayfield

TonyHose

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:17 PM, jameszeigler834 said:

The maturity of this guy reminds me a lot of Jonny Manziel.

Indeed. The way he has conducted himself at OU and during the pre-draft run up screams "Danger!" I have a hard time believing Baker is the pick at 1. If anyone seen the video of him getting sacked by those police officers...I don't think he stands a chance getting away from Von Miller and the rest of the NFL. Way too many red flags for me....but it would be the best case scenario for Colts....would increase chances of a top prospect falling to us.

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Indeed. The way he has conducted himself at OU and during the pre-draft run up screams "Danger!" I have a hard time believing Baker is the pick at 1. If anyone seen the video of him getting sacked by those police officers...I don't think he stands a chance getting away from Von Miller and the rest of the NFL. Way too many red flags for me....but it would be the best case scenario for Colts....would increase chances of a top prospect falling to us.

True.

Browns felt they needed more moxie than a QB that projected to the next level better. I am not sure with those long armed DL and fast LBs, Mayfield is going to do much with his legs, has to learn to play in the pocket more. But then, he has always been counted out everywhere he went and proved folks wrong. I will root for him to succeed.

Browns are fricken hilarious, after all the busts at the quarterback position over the years including Manziel, they go ahead and draft Mayfield, im going to go ahead and call it right now Johnny Manziel 2.0! I can't believe they took Mayfield browns are officially the worst franchise in nfl history

On 4/25/2018 at 11:27 PM, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

If we are throwing out our predictions on who will be the best QB in this draft then I'm going to take Lamar Jackson. I think he has the potential to be Mike Vick 2.0.

Vick’s passer rating was horrible. It’s a passing league and always will be. Drew Brees was drafted a full round behind him and the rest is history!

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:31 AM, DarkSuperman said:

Mayfield has bust labeled all over him.

I agree....Dark one.....In fact, I think the Browns made a mistake with BOTH No.1s..

Mayfield and Ward will be good

..but I think Darnold (or Rosen) and Bradley Chubb were the better choices

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree....Dark one.....In fact, I think the Browns made a mistake with BOTH No.1s..

Mayfield and Ward will be good

..but I think Darnold (or Rosen) and Bradley Chubb were the better choices

Mayfield won't bust.

Lol @ Mayfield being Manziel 2.0.  take the time to actually find out about the kid before spouting off nonsense.

Also this is the best move the Browns have made in more than a decade.  Darnold and Allen would have taken them no where. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2018 at 9:21 PM, MPStack said:

Vick’s passer rating was horrible. It’s a passing league and always will be. Drew Brees was drafted a full round behind him and the rest is history!

vick was an mvp runner up to peyton 

5 hours ago, MPStack said:

And?

he was a very good player, just unconventional 

he was also a 4 time pro bowler and won a comeback of the year award.  not the most elite rewards, but his talent made him well worth a first round pick.  

Now the Browns have a QB with moxie and prolific college play that no one knows if it will materialize on the field in the NFL, and 2 WRs that are walking suspensions - Josh Gordon and Antonio Callaway.

Dorsey did make the observation that Mayfield got back on his drops much faster than his QB counterparts thus allowing him to negate his height deficiencies and giving him time to see the field. My biggest concern is that since he is not as elusive as Russell Wilson or as big, he probably won't get those scramble plays easily at the next level and has to resist his tendencies to scramble and play from the pocket more. That muscle memory aspect is going to be hard to erase. 

Heck, Luck, as big as he is built, got plenty of licks when he chose to scramble, so did Cam Newton. Mayfield will not even last as long as those once those licks come in.

8 hours ago, aaron11 said:

he was a very good player, just unconventional 

he was also a 4 time pro bowler and won a comeback of the year award.  not the most elite rewards, but his talent made him well worth a first round pick.  

Pro Bowler is meaningless. Less than a 60% career passer rating and even worse in the playoffs. Most TD passes in a season was 21.  Won two career playoff games. I’d say poor for a 1st overall pick. Just my 2 cents. 

6 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Pro Bowler is meaningless. Less than a 60% career passer rating and even worse in the playoffs. Most TD passes in a season was 21.  Won two career playoff games. I’d say poor for a 1st overall pick. Just my 2 cents. 

you are ignoring that he was the best running QB in nfl history, and holds most of the relevant rushing records

so yeah, his passing numbers alone dont look that great 

36 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

his rating and % are not much lower than andrew lucks either 

Luck was never in the conversation! And I beg to differ on completion percentage. 5% more is significant! That’s why unconventional QB are far and few and their self life isn’t long. 

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Luck was never in the conversation! And I beg to differ on completion percentage. 5% more is significant! That’s why unconventional QB are far and few and their self life isn’t long. 

i only brought up luck because he was the #1 pick too and you thought vick's numbers were bad for that spot. add in vick's rushing numbers and things look better

for completion % i see luck at 59.2 and vick at 56.2

When the Browns went with Baker, I was like holy moly man! I was wrong. The Browns can & did indeed screw this up. This is like getting a copy of the final exam a month before & still failing the course. Wasn't a new GM supposed to usher in a new era? How can you go with Mayfield after crashing & burning on Johnny Manziel? Look, I get that they are 2 different field generals & running from the police once doesn't mean that your new QB has substance abuse problems. 

Here's the problem though: When your predecessor was a bust, the front office has to go the extra mile to go with the non controversial safe pick. This isn't even about Baker really, but rather how much agony & punishment does your loyal fanbase deserve? Give them hope man. 

Could Baker turn that organization around? Sure anything is possible, but QB is the 1 spot where being a rebel or daredevil is ill advised. You need calmness, consistency, & an under the radar guy who just wants to master his playbook, win games, & earn your teammates respect. Cleveland has been so dysfunctional for so long that secretly I think that's why Joe Thomas retired. He'd had enough. Why go thru the grind for another disappointing yr no matter how many millions were sitting on the table? Exactly Joe. Exactly. 

Let's say Hue Jackson's record is 5-11 & then he gets the boot. Was the risk worth it? No. I get that Sam Darnold was a risk too, but the difference is this: It's a calculated, smart risk that buys the HC & his staff time...To remain employed, earn a paycheck, & it gives you leverage with your owner to develop the choice that most GMs would have gone with in that situation. 

Now, there's the possibility that Baker is the guy your owner wanted all along, but if they were talked into Baker by the HC & your teams wheels fall off---Everybody strolling the sidelines is screwed & probably dismissed after 1 season. 

Look at what INDY did after the 2011 season. Grigson & Pagano went with Andrew Luck the safer pick vs the flash in the pan RG3. Luck was the safer choice because of who Chewy followed--Peyton Manning & his sturdy frame/body type. That & Andrew could sling the ball around with such ease from any position. If Pags & Grigs had gone with RG3 based solely on his speed & then he got hurt...This coaching regime would have been disbanded & demolished much much sooner. We all know that.

It just bothers me when franchises don't take prolonged down yrs embarrassing yrs into account. You have to know your team's history & respond accordingly given that fact. 

It's why I love Jimmy so much as an owner. He fired Caldwell in short order after 2011 because he knew our team's history & pedigree & went this product on the field is unacceptable we gotta break it up & start over. Know your history as a franchise & act quickly in order to preserve a standard or establish a new era with better standards than pervious decades anyway. That's why this is so troubling to me because the Browns haven't learned a darn thing at the QB spot. Absolutely nuthin'.  

Also, I am a firm believer that pocket passers not scrabblers win rings in this league or at least deep playoff runs. Like the old adage goes, at the NFL level "this game is won from the neck up" vs legs & once new draft prospects learn that--the more successful they are longterm. Darnold not Mayfield was the wiser choice  in my estimation or should have been. Just ask HOF QB Steve Young who won his ring once he learn to beat your adversary from the pocket vs running all the time. 

51 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

When the Browns went with Baker, I was like holy moly man! I was wrong. The Browns can & did indeed screw this up. This is like getting a copy of the final exam a month before & still failing the course. Wasn't a new GM supposed to usher in a new era? How can you go with Mayfield after crashing & burning on Johnny Manziel? Look, I get that they are 2 different field generals & running from the police once doesn't mean that your new QB has substance abuse problems.

Baker was the top QB for atleast 6 teams.

He has the talent.

Quit harping on him because he's 6'0"

He will be good, has all the necessary skills to be good

Not to mention Baker is the ONLY quarterback of the top 4 who wanted to played for the Browns.

The Manziel comparions need to go. Watch the film.

16 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Let's say Hue Jackson's record is 5-11 & then he gets the boot. Was the risk worth it? No. I get that Sam Darnold was a risk too, but the difference is this: It's a calculated, smart risk that buys the HC & his staff time...To remain employed, earn a paycheck, & it gives you leverage with your owner to develop the choice that most GMs would have gone with in that situation. 

Now, there's the possibility that Baker is the guy your owner wanted all along, but if they were talked into Baker by the HC & your teams wheels fall off---Everybody strolling the sidelines is screwed & probably dismissed after 1 season. 

Look at what INDY did after the 2011 season. Grigson & Pagano went with Andrew Luck the safer pick vs the flash in the pan RG3. Luck was the safer choice because of who Chewy followed--Peyton Manning & his sturdy frame/body type. That & Andrew could sling the ball around with such ease from any position. If Pags & Grigs had gone with RG3 based solely on his speed & then he got hurt...This coaching regime would have been disbanded & demolished much much sooner. We all know that.

It just bothers me when franchises don't take prolonged down yrs embarrassing yrs into account. You have to know your team's history & respond accordingly given that fact. 

It's why I love Jimmy so much as an owner. He fired Caldwell in short order after 2011 because he knew our team's history & pedigree & went this product on the field is unacceptable we gotta break it up & start over. Know your history as a franchise & act quickly in order to preserve a standard or establish a new era with better standards than pervious decades anyway. That's why this is so troubling to me because the Browns haven't learned a darn thing at the QB spot. Absolutely nuthin'.  

If Hue Hackson is fired after thus year the Browns will hire a HC who believes in Mayfield...

The idea of drafting Baker doesn't become a mistake just because of a change of HC... 

4 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Baker was the top QB for atleast 6 teams.

He has the talent.

He will be good, has all the necessary skills to be good

Not to mention Baker is the ONLY quarterback of the top 4 who wanted to played for the Browns.

That's strange. I don't recall mentioning Mayfield's height once TVT. I never said that Baker wasn't talented. My thesis was this: Given the Browns prolonged history of struggling as a franchise with a less than stellar record, the logical move is to go after the safer more conventional choice--Sam Darnold. 

Please show me where I treated Mayfield unfairly in your eyes. I even said substance abuse issues via Johnny Football doesn't translate into say foreshadowing that Mayfield will fail either. I get that you are rooting for Mayfield to succeed in this league, but I was only taking into account how the Browns needed to hit a homerun at the QB spot & they opted for the risker choice. I even said Baker could turn this organization around. 

Easy there. 

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Hue Hackson is fired after thus year the Browns will hire a HC who believes in Mayfield...

The idea of drafting Baker doesn't become a mistake just because of a change of HC... 

NCF, 

We are friends & I respect your opinion & perspective always. However, the issue isn't whether a QB is retained even with new coaches that may or may not be on the horizon after 2018, but whether Hue Jackson gets to keep his job based on what their record is. It's contingent upon how the owner measures success & Jackson has been in Cleveland awhile now. If Jackson can scrap out say 7 wins this yr, he stays. If not, the Browns are in chaos mode again. 

My post had nothing to do with a QB's retention, but keeping Jackson intact whom I like & landing Darnold, would have proliferated his NFL job security in Ohio. I don't have a good feeling about it. Hue will be gone soon unfortunately. JMO.

I think you misinterpreted what I said or I was somehow ambitious in nature. I thought I was straight forward. Clearly, I wasn't. Life goes on...The goal is to make the right selection for once for that suffering fanbase & I don't believe the correct QB decision was made. 

20 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

NCF, 

We are friends & I respect your opinion & perspective always. However, the issue isn't whether a QB is retained even with new coaches that may or may not be on the horizon after 2018, but whether Hue Jackson gets to keep his job based on what their record is. It's contingent upon how the owner measures success & Jackson has been in Cleveland awhile now. If Jackson can scrap out say 7 wins this yr, he stays. If not, the Browns are in chaos mode again. 

My post had nothing to do with a QB's retention, but keeping Jackson intact whom I like & landing Darnold, would have proliferated his NFL job security in Ohio. I don't have a good feeling about it. Hue will be gone soon unfortunately. JMO.

I think you misinterpreted what I said or I was somehow ambitious in nature. I thought I was straight forward. Clearly, I wasn't. Life goes on...The goal is to make the right selection for once for that suffering fanbase & I don't believe the correct QB decision was made. 

SW....

You may be right...   or not...

But Dorsey, the new GM, could've fired Hue at the end of the last season and brought in "his own guy"...   whoever that might be...    instead, Dorsey kept Jackson and is giving him another chance...

Beyond that...   life in the NFL is often not fair.   If Jackson is eventually let go, he will only have served three years of his contract.   So the Browns will lay the remaining time...  another year or two... So Jackson won't be hurting for money...  

And he likely won't have a problem getting another job...  he had a good reputation as an OC...   that's in part why Dorsey is keeping him, to work with Mayfield.  

So all is not lost for Jackson even if he doesn't last in Cleveland...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tvturner said:

2 additional points: 

1. Considering that I watched Russell Wilson play at Camp Randall at UW-Madison as a grad student & win games being only 5 ft. 11 inches tall. I find that unwarranted criticism amusing. Not your fault of course. I just chuckled at that line. Not you personally; just the remark. I think you got upset at somebody else & channelled your anger in the wrong direction. No worries. 

2. I wasn't comparing either QB directly only mentioning that when Baker's predecessor flamed out--It would behoove the Browns organization to be extremely cautious & confident about their next field general. Simple as that. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

SW....

You may be right...   or not...

But Dorsey, the new GM, could've fired Hue at the end of the last season and brought in "his own guy"...   whoever that might be...    instead, Dorsey kept Jackson and is giving him another chance...

Beyond that...   life in the NFL is often not fair.   If Jackson is eventually let go, he will only have served three years of his contract.   So the Browns will lay the remaining time...  another year or two... So Jackson won't be hurting for money...  

And he likely won't have a problem getting another job...  he had a good reputation as an OC...   that's in part why Dorsey is keeping him, to work with Mayfield.  

So all is not lost for Jackson even if he doesn't last in Cleveland...

That's a very compelling point my friend. As smart as Hue is, whatever happens. He'll land on his feet. 

I just want Jackson to succeed in Cleveland because I like the guy, admire his football IQ, & his reputation would go through the roof if he made the Browns respectable & not a joke anymore. 

Plus, it bothers me when black coaches get fired faster than white coaches typically do as they implement their football program. I'd like to see Jackson on the same level as LeBron James. Win in a place starving for credibility among it's sporting peers. I'm not demanding a ring just props as a franchise. Someone has to shatter this football curse right? 

Nice chatting with you as always NCF. 

• Like 1

On April 26, 2018 at 4:13 AM, krunk said:

Because I want Chubb. I only care about trading back if we don't get Chubb.

I do wonder what the collective forum reaction was when Denver got Chubb & Nelson fell to us/INDY. 

Were they satisfied like going on a blind date with a person who is an unexpected knockout or more like somebody with "a nice personality?" 

Were they elated or indifferent about Nelson like being hungry, but nothing in your frig looks very appetizing. 

I loved the Nelson pick because as Rich Eisen said "Indianapolis is happy because Luck will remain upright now." haha

We were all thinking it man. 

13 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I do wonder what the collective forum reaction was when Denver got Chubb & Nelson fell to us/INDY. 

Were they satisfied like going on a blind date with a person who is an unexpected knockout or more like somebody with "a nice personality?" 

Were they elated or indifferent about Nelson like being hungry, but nothing in your frig looks very appetizing. 

I loved the Nelson pick because as Rich Eisen said "Indianapolis is happy because Luck will remain upright now." haha

We were all thinking it man. 

I wanted Barkley 1st but knew he would be gone, but Nelson was my 2nd choice so I am very happy. I had Chubb 3rd on my Colts board. Chubb will be Good but I think guys like Barkley and Nelson will be Great. Chubb will have a huge luxury playing along side Von Miller so he may even have a Great Rookie Season but I would've took Nelson even had Chubb been available. I am about protecting #12 before we build a Great Defense. He gets injured again we are toast.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Some things I found out about Dorsey and his #1 draft choice--

Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL

** Was asked a question today -Mayfield doesn't fit Hue Jackson's archetype at QB, how do you think he feels? My answer: Hue is being asked to win with the players they give him. If he cant do that, he wont be around to complain about Baker being 6'1" anyway. **

Dorsey didn't hire Jackson, and this looks like a HC audition for Hue.  Win with my players or c. u.

Appears Dorsey may well have another HC on his radar as well. It's a business.

Cleveland Browns general manager John Dorsey has reportedly known for six weeks whom he would select No. 1 overall in the NFL draft Thursday night, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

Steve Wyche @wyche89

I just reported @nflnetwork that Head Coach Hue Jackson is fully in the loop with the @Browns draft plans. He has seen the final draft board as have the coordinators, some personnel staffers and ownership, which has signed off on everything.

Question for you, Darnold has a high turnover rate.  Cleveland plays outdoors, in nasty conditions, notably the 2nd half of the season. Good, safe combo?  Also, Tyrod Taylor is the starting QB this year (Drew Stanton on the roster too).  I can see Mayfield taking over by mid to late October, though.

Also, I am a firm believer that pocket passers not scrabblers win rings in this league or at least deep playoff runs. Like the old adage goes, at the NFL level "this game is won from the neck up" vs legs & once new draft prospects learn that--the more successful they are longterm. Darnold not Mayfield was the wiser choice  in my estimation or should have been. Just ask HOF QB Steve Young who won his ring once he learn to beat your adversary from the pocket vs running all the time. 

Critics compare him to Manziel (which I don't see)

Proponents compare him top Russell Wilson (which I also don't see)

He can make all the NFL throws
Mayfield's elusiveness in the pocket is more like Alex Smith (who is deceptively good at that!), not RGIII, and looks downfield to pass, not just tuck and run
Mayfield had led the NCAA in passer rating under pressure in 2015, 2016, and 2017. That number was produced in hefty sample sizes of 164 dropbacks under pressure in 2015, 113 in 2016, and 129 in 2017

But-
Small hands at 9.25" (as does Case Keenum)
Operates (like most college QB's) from a spread offense scheme. Needs time to learn to operate under center (Tyrod starts)

Dorsey isn't playing it safe, he's taking the guy he thinks will give his team the best chance to win.  He has been around a long time, and knows his paycheck and resume` depend upon Mayfield's performance.  We'll know by the and of next year.

8 hours ago, southwest1 said:

When the Browns went with Baker, I was like holy moly man! I was wrong. The Browns can & did indeed screw this up. This is like getting a copy of the final exam a month before & still failing the course. Wasn't a new GM supposed to usher in a new era? How can you go with Mayfield after crashing & burning on Johnny Manziel?

The answer is here!  Darnold 'was' #1 on their board... until...

Here you go SW1 -

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/exec-tells-how-mayfield-changed-browns-mind-on-darnold/ar-AAwz18G

This proves it is not just talent and tape in the NFL

9 hours ago, southwest1 said:

SW... Mayfield is not Manziel... Not even close.  And Mayfield got drunk one night... He never did it again.  Acting like these 2 players are even in the same stratosphere is rediculous.  

And leadership is a big part of the QB spot and Mayfield has that.  The kid has been constantly second guessed and has constantly proved everyone wrong. 

• Thanks 2

As the dust settles from the draft more and more sports persons are saying the Browns screwed up royally with the Mayfield pick Darnold is emerging as the best of the QB rookies- time will tell. The ESPN Cleveland radio guy said the Cleveland fans are hating the first pick and with so many goof ups in the past, why gamble in any form of the word?

On May 1, 2018 at 8:08 AM, Surge89 said:

SW... Mayfield is not Manziel... Not even close.  And Mayfield got drunk one night... He never did it again.  Acting like these 2 players are even in the same stratosphere is rediculous.  

And leadership is a big part of the QB spot and Mayfield has that.  The kid has been constantly second guessed and has constantly proved everyone wrong. 

You obviously didn't read any of my posts correctly or engage in critical thinking beyond the surface S89. I wasn't comparing either player at all. It wasn't a direct comparison at all. My point was this: Given the dismal history of the Browns beyond a decade, the only logical choice to go with the safest option with the #1 draft pick. Why can't people comprehend this? You can disagree with the need to select Darnold over Mayfield all you want that's perfectly fine. Did I bring about anybody's arrest record once? Nope. 

I don't mean to come across as short, curse, crass, or arrogant here, but for the life of me I can't figure out why so many people keep inferring an argument or comparison I never made in the first place. It's got nothing to do with athleticism, film study, football IQ, criminal records, or a championship drive to win in either Baker or Sam. 

It's all about the history of this franchise, it's yrs of losing, & making the safest selection possible because the fans have been tormented & tortured enough. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. I'm wrong a lot. It's all about the best franchise fit & somebody better equipped to handle lean yrs early. That's Sam not Baker IMO especially for Cleveland & her fanbase who has been disappointed so long that they don't think winning consistently is part of their vocabulary over the long haul. 

On May 1, 2018 at 7:34 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

The answer is here!  Darnold 'was' #1 on their board... until...

Here you go SW1 -

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/exec-tells-how-mayfield-changed-browns-mind-on-darnold/ar-AAwz18G

This proves it is not just talent and tape in the NFL

" Baker blew me away. Highly, highly intelligent. Highly competitive."

Show me 1 person who made it to the NFL that played in college who isn't driven or competitive CBFL? Motivations can differ like why the game interests various athletes like money, fame, women, rings, or a HOF career that can serve as a stepping stone to acting roles on TV or in Hollywood. 

All that article proved is that GMs, scouts, & talent evaluators can change their minds about NFL draft prospects. Not exactly deep or all that profound or earth shattering to me actually. 

RG3 was supposed to change the RedSkins fortunes too & we all know how that turned out don't we? 

Look, it's nothing personal. I get that you were just displaying a link that explained why Cleveland went in a different direction. I still think the Browns made a colossal mistake. So be it CBFL. 

On May 1, 2018 at 2:10 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wanted Barkley 1st but knew he would be gone, but Nelson was my 2nd choice so I am very happy. I had Chubb 3rd on my Colts board. Chubb will be Good but I think guys like Barkley and Nelson will be Great. Chubb will have a huge luxury playing along side Von Miller so he may even have a Great Rookie Season but I would've took Nelson even had Chubb been available. I am about protecting #12 before we build a Great Defense. He gets injured again we are toast.

Yeah, good assessment there CBE. It's pretty much who are rooted for in stages too. Barkley would take pressure off Luck & reduce his number of hits by not having to throw bombs so much. Then, I went Chubb can make opposing QBs uncomfortable & increase turnovers for us, & finally, I went Nelson is a superior guard who generates massive holes so, when he fell to us I was like Merry Christmas baby. I like it! 

Yep, gotta protect Chewbacca at all costs. Nelson is the ultimate insurance policy no doubt. Thanks for your feedback man. I always appreciate whatever you have to say. :thmup:

• Like 1