Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck will not be throwing at minicamp

coltsfanatic89

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What?!?

He could easily be making great progress, but because he's not ready week one THAT makes him finished?!?    Huh?   Why?

Its just week one.    He might be ready week 3 or 6 or 9....   whatever...    there's no magic formula that says week one he's fine and week 2 or later and he's finished....

Full disclosure, I totally expect Luck to be ready for week 1 without any complications or setbacks, I want to make sure I get that out there. I believe Ballard when he says Luck's really close, and when I see the recent pictures of Luck, I'm even more optimistic about his return.

But in regards to my gut feeling on if he's not ready by week 1... If he'd had a 2nd procedure, then I'd understand that him being ready week 1 would very much be in question, but he never had that additional surgery, so if he's STILL not ready to play by September 9, we're looking at almost 2 years recovery time for a surgery with an average recovery time of 9 - 12 months. That, in my mind, is reason to assume the injury is far worse than we knew or ever realized, and that he may be finished.

And I'm also just echoing the thoughts of Will Carroll, who lives in Indy and specializes in sports injuries:

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Full disclosure, I totally expect Luck to be ready for week 1 without any complications or setbacks, I want to make sure I get that out there. I believe Ballard when he says Luck's really close, and when I see the recent pictures of Luck, I'm even more optimistic about his return.

But in regards to my gut feeling on if he's not ready by week 1... If he'd had a 2nd procedure, then I'd understand that him being ready week 1 would very much be in question, but he never had that additional surgery, so if he's STILL not ready to play by September 9, we're looking at almost 2 years recovery time for a surgery with an average recovery time of 9 - 12 months. That, in my mind, is reason to assume the injury is far worse than we knew or ever realized, and that he may be finished.

And I'm also just echoing the thoughts of Will Carroll, who lives in Indy and specializes in sports injuries:

Well...   I can state confidently that there is no great QB for next year's draft...   so there is no QB to tank for...

And I'm not talking about having ANY set back...   im saying he's making progress...   good progress...   he's just not quite there just yet...  he's close, but not quite ready to take over just yet...

As for Will Carroll..   I don't know who he is....   but no "injury expert" should say something like that...    there's too much uncertainty with the nature of injuries and how people recover...   I seriously question anyone who would make that statement.

The date is arbitrary...   it's the start of the season...   and for the Colts, it's not a meaningful season.   The most important thing is the health of Luck.   So if he's ready in October instead of September, I'm fine.   If it's November and not September, I'm fine.   I don't care about September 9...   it's just a date to me.  As long as he's making progress and hasn't stalled out, then I think we're good.  

Now if there's a setback, THAT'S another story....  THEN we have a serious problem.....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   I can't state confidently that there is no great QB for next year's draft...   so there is no QB to tank for...

And I'm not talking about having ANY set back...   im saying he's making progress...   good progress...   he's just not quite there just yet...  he's close, but not quite ready to take over just yet...

As for Will Carroll..   I don't know who he is....   but no "injury expert" should say something like that...    there's too much uncertainty with the nature of injuries and how people recover...   I seriously question anyone who would make that statement.

The date is arbitrary...   it's the start of the season...   and for the Colts, it's not a meaningful season.   The most important thing is the health of Luck.   So if he's ready in October instead of September, I'm fine.   If it's November and not September, I'm fine.   I don't care about September 9...   it's just a date to me.  As long as he's making progress and hasn't stalled out, then I think we're good.  

Now if there's a setback, THAT'S another story....  THEN we have a serious problem.....

As far as it not being an "important" season, I think in regards to Andrew Luck, it's very important. Ballard knows it, Irsay knows it, Luck knows it, the fans know it. But like I said, I feel like he's very close, like a month away from throwing again close. And I fully believe Ballard when he says that if a setback were going to happen, it would've by now.

And Will Carroll is a pretty well respected guy who works in sports medicine, & his living in Indy has given him some unique insight into the Luck situation that the average fan doesn't typically have access to, so I thought I'd share his thoughts. He thinks Luck will be ready, but he feels like in the unlikely event that he isn't ready by September 9, it's because something went very wrong, like career-threatening wrong.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Ive now gone back and looked at the two twitter accounts...

Who is LandryNoMatterWhat...?   Luke Dunleavy?    Who is he and why do you care about his opinion?    As far as I can tell,  he's just a guy with an opinion.    Why does his opinion have any weight!

As for Will Carroll...   he writes about sports injuries.   He WRITES about them. He's not a doctor or any other type of medical professional...  not a therapist...   he writes about injuries....    sorry...   that does not make him an injury expert, even if he calls himself one....

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

As far as it not being an "important" season, I think in regards to Andrew Luck, it's very important. Ballard knows it, Irsay knows it, Luck knows it, the fans know it. But like I said, I feel like he's very close, like a month away from throwing again close. And I fully believe Ballard when he says that if a setback were going to happen, it would've by now.

And Will Carroll is a pretty well respected guy who works in sports medicine, & his living in Indy has given him some unique insight into the Luck situation that the average fan doesn't typically have access to, so I thought I'd share his thoughts. He thinks Luck will be ready, but he feels like in the unlikely event that he isn't ready by September 9, it's because something went very wrong, like career-threatening wrong.

If the argument is if he's not ready in September 9 then there's been a serious setback then I don't think the Colts will able to hide that.

But I wouldn't be surprised if around Sept 1 Ballard announces that Luck is close --- very close --- but he'll need a little more time to be 100 percent ready and they think that will be soon.  But until he's 100 percent Luck won't start.   That will not surprise me...

Hopefully Luck will be ready for the start of the season...   but I won't worry until Ballard says or does something that tells me to worry... 

Ballard may never live down his chance to get a potential star qb while gambling that the king of Nerfball ever plays at a competent level again. Nearly May and still not throwing footballs? Defensive linemen and linebackers will be licking their chops if/when he finally makes his next appearance in a tackle football game.

" He isn't going to skip a step"....." We feel good about where he (Luck) is in the  process"...... It's been a ridiculous amount of time since Luck has thrown a football. I think the Colts are just crossing their fingers hoping Luck can throw. I think we are going to find out that he can't. We are going to end up rolling with Brisket again and drafting a qb next year.

18 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I think this is another way of saying why worry about things you can't control, which are great words to live by.

Yeah that wasn't my best English lol.

To that point, I'm not wasting a single bit of mental energy worrying about if Luck plays or not.  It's out of my hands and whatever will be, will be.

46 minutes ago, Jaric said:

Yeah that wasn't my best English lol.

To that point, I'm not wasting a single bit of mental energy worrying about if Luck plays or not.  It's out of my hands and whatever will be, will be.

Yeah, I used to fret over this stuff.  Playoff losses haunted me for days if not weeks.  Then I became a parent to daughter who needed two open-heart surgeries before her 2nd birthday.  That quickly illustrates what is important and this stuff ain't it. She's fine now and loves pestering the ever-loving hell out of her lil' brother.

I sincerely hope Luck is back to health.  Colts' Sundays are better with him.  But like you, I won't spend a second worrying about it.  

• Like 5

Im not buying into Luck not playing.  I beleive he is going to be fine at the start of the season and get better each week.  However, if he is not i would prefer to build a great defense and have jacoby for a while.  I think he can grow leaps and bounds given a chance.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:12 PM, JColts72 said:

He has been fine since jimmy said so himself in 2017. Are some Colt fans that naive here. Luck cannot throw a nerf. Wait for tc, wait for wk 1, wait until mid season. Waiting is over.

19 hours ago, azcolt said:

Ballard may never live down his chance to get a potential star qb while gambling that the king of Nerfball ever plays at a competent level again. Nearly May and still not throwing footballs? Defensive linemen and linebackers will be licking their chops if/when he finally makes his next appearance in a tackle football game.

• Like 4

On 4/24/2018 at 4:07 PM, loudnproudcolt said:

His last interview, he was very adamant and very clear. I am staying with the plan, and I will be ready to go when camp begins. He won't be throwing in any organized colt's activities until training camp begins. I would imagine we will get few updates until Training Camp also, so get ready for all the "sky is falling" pieces sure to follow in the media.

The fact we are not drafting a QB, and traded down still tells you all you need to know. Luck is on schedule, but he plans to take every small step necessary so he will be 100 percent by camp!

It tells me that Ballard staked his job on Andrew's return to form this year.  Not staying put and drafting a top tier QB prospect (Darnold!) is baffling.  After all, the trade was made before all the latest round of wishful thinking.  Unless Andrew suffers a different injury, there will be absolutely NO excuse for his not starting and playing reasonably well sometime during this season.

17 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Im not buying into Luck not playing.  I beleive he is going to be fine at the start of the season and get better each week.  However, if he is not i would prefer to build a great defense and have jacoby for a while.  I think he can grow leaps and bounds given a chance.

Assuming Andrew doesn't go, we can all watch Darnold to see if you're right.  The Jets stink, so any significant success that Darnold has this year or next will be compared to Brissett's efforts.  I think the difference will be very apparent.

• 8 months later...
On 4/26/2018 at 12:25 AM, azcolt said:

On 4/26/2018 at 1:07 AM, Patrick Miller said:

" He isn't going to skip a step"....." We feel good about where he (Luck) is in the  process"...... It's been a ridiculous amount of time since Luck has thrown a football. I think the Colts are just crossing their fingers hoping Luck can throw. I think we are going to find out that he can't. We are going to end up rolling with Brisket again and drafting a qb next year.

685d63c091739c08df91fbc8375ae119.jpg