Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Holder: Colts will emphasize zone blocking in the new offense(implications for Nelson and other good and bad fits)

I'm posting this here since it is relevant to our draft. Nelson is more of a power-blocking guard and if there is any weakness(relative - it's still not bad, but it's not one of his strong attributes) in his game it's his pulling game that zone blocking schemes depend a lot on. 

Holder also posted this:

With all that said, I wonder if Nelson drops on our board simply because of not being a great fit with the system? 

In this case players you need to watch for that actually fit more of a zone-blocking scheme (this is not an exhaustive list of course)

Connor Williams,

Isaiah Wynn,

James Daniels,

Billy Price,

Braden Smith,

Wyatt Teller,

Colby Gossett,

Tyrell Crosby,

Kolton Miller... 

Honestly I don’t see nelson being drafted by the colts .... CB loves the talent of linemen and is more then happy finding them in the second round as he has stated. If Chubb or barkley aren’t there at 6 I’m pretty sure we trade back EVEN if Nelson is there. 

31 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

Honestly I don’t see nelson being drafted by the colts .... CB loves the talent of linemen and is more then happy finding them in the second round as he has stated. If Chubb or barkley aren’t there at 6 I’m pretty sure we trade back EVEN if Nelson is there. 

This place is going to be so much fun when Nelson is on the board and Ballard trades back or takes a LB/DB instead.

• Like 6

I think anyone who thinks we should pass on Nelson because he's better at power blocking than zone should have their head seriously examined...

And that would include Chris Ballard (assuming he believes such nonsense..)

I appreciate this is the week for crazy talk, but this would indeed be crazy..

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

This place is going to be so much fun when Nelson is on the board and Ballard trades back or takes a LB/DB instead.

Taking Nelson at 6 is/was never going to happen.  Not sure why so many ever considered it.  Ballard will take Smith if its between Nelson and him.

43 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Taking Nelson at 6 is/was never going to happen.  Not sure why so many ever considered it.  Ballard will take Smith if its between Nelson and him.

I’m not sure that was always true but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the way the Colts are now leaning. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think anyone who thinks we should pass on Nelson because he's better at power blocking than zone should have their head seriously examined...

I agree Nelson will fit in a zone blocking scheme just fine.  Especially since "pulling" is a zone block scheme is not the old school pulling around the tackle and heading upfield to get the LB, it's usually more pulling and taking the DE just outside the tackle.

That being said, I don't think the Colts take Nelson if he is there at #6.  Reading between the lines when he said starting guards can be found in rounds 2-4 I take as meaning he is not going to spend a 1st round pick on a guard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just two more days and all this non-sense goes away. I don't even care anymore....it's all white noise until the draft actually happens. It's been fun to speculate but there is no reason to worry about it now....what will happen will happen and hopefully Ballard and company do a good job and help this team take a big step in getting better in 2018.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I agree Nelson will fit in a zone blocking scheme just fine.  Especially since "pulling" is a zone block scheme is not the old school pulling around the tackle and heading upfield to get the LB, it's usually more pulling and taking the DE just outside the tackle.

That being said, I don't think the Colts take Nelson if he is there at #6.  Reading between the lines when he said starting guards can be found in rounds 2-4 I take as meaning he is not going to spend a 1st round pick on a guard.

Yup...   that's my read of the tea leaves as well...   and I'm fine with that.   

This is is a strong class of interior lineman..   as long as we get one in R 2 or 3, I'm good...   it doesn't have to be Nelson or bust for me...

• Like 2

I'm afraid Ballard will not draft the immediate starter caliber lineman we need to get a good running game going... Not saying Nelson is the only solution, but I'd hate for us to pass on him and watch guys like Wynn and Hernandez come off the board in the 1st and all of a sudden there to be only developmental type of players left (even if they are talented). There really aren't that many day 1 starters on the O-line in this draft imo, even if there are some exciting guys in the class who aren't. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think you pass on him because of it, but you certainly have to include it in you consideration. I don't know how heavy you weigh it, maybe not very, but of course you include it in your thought process. 

31 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't think you pass on him because of it, but you certainly have to include it in you consideration. I don't know how heavy you weigh it, maybe not very, but of course you include it in your thought process. 

I want to be clear....

I'm totally fine if we do not draft Nelson.  

I get that there are very good guards available in R's 2 and 3.   And the one we take will likely start in week 1.   And I'm fine with that.

I just think if you're looking for a reason NOT to draft Nelson,  using the,  he's better in power blocking than zone blocking is just over-thinking things.   The best reason is we can take a difference maker on defense and still get a very good guard in the next round or two...   and that's legitimate...   and I'm fine with that....

You don't need to look for a reason....    there are legitmate reasons that are reasonable...

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I want to be clear....

I'm totally fine if we do not draft Nelson.  

I get that there are very good guards available in R's 2 and 3.   And the one we take will likely start in week 1.   And I'm fine with that.

I just think if you're looking for a reason NOT to draft Nelson,  using the,  he's better in power blocking than zone blocking is just over-thinking things.   The best reason is we can take a difference maker on defense and still get a very good guard in the next round or two...   and that's legitimate...   and I'm fine with that....

You don't need to look for a reason....    there are legitmate reasons that are reasonable...

I am still holding out slight hope that we would take Nelson. I have a feeling it may be false hope, but I am hoping nonetheless.

The way I see it, yes there is depth at interior OL. No there isn't ideal depth at pass rusher. But Chubb will likely be gone.

I am not sure if the depth at LB is better than interior OL or on par.

That said, Jonathan Cooper is the last OG (and only one in my memory) that went super high. I think he went 7th or so. And Nelson to me looks waaaaay better as a prospect.

I like Smith and Edmunds. I am good with either of them. I think I slightly prefer Smith, but that is neither here no there. Either way, I cannot think of many non-rushing LBs that went in the top-6 or so. As i said in another thread i think the last one was maybe Aaron Curry. He looked like a can't miss generational prospect at the time and we know that did not work out well lol.

I hope that we don't pass up Nelson for Smith or Edmunds. But currently all signs indicate we likely will.

I wonder how much of that is smoke and mirrors in lying season and how much is true.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FalseStart said:

I enjoy the gamesmanship / misdirection that is going on with the GM interviews... Anyone want to guess which team makes the first fubar selection?

I'm going to say the Bears....I just have no confidence in the direction they are going. I want to root for them because they are my dad's team...and I'm sentimental...but I'm just not confident in what they do. I really feel like Nelson will be there for them (true he may go to TB but some reason I think they pick Ward) and I get the feeling they do something bone headed and pick a safety or corner instead...or like Calvin Ridley or something. So for me its Chi, Mia, or Cin will do something bone headed....but hey...if the Jets take Mayfield then they would be the first to do something dumb since they are higher up. Normally I would say Cleveland but I think they are getting it together.