Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Baker Mayfield in the mix for #1 pick to Browns

There's a lot of QB rumors going around right now.  Honestly Mayfield wouldn't shock me.  Something special about him to me. The Browns staff and GM showed a lot of interest in him early in the process.  I don't really care about his height.  Kids got a good arm on him.  He's very accurate, protects the football, hell of a competitor and he knows what he's doing within the scheme that he plays. He understands mentally what's going on.   I could see him being like a more mobile Drew Brees on this level.  Maturity might be a bit of an issue, but I don't think it's Johnny Manziel level stuff.

It's funny because Mayfield checks all these boxes Dorsey listed below:

The only thing I care about is, do guys win?" Dorsey said. "Does he have accuracy? Does he have a strong arm? Can he throw the ball in the red zone in tight windows? Can he drive the ball? At the end of the game, does he win? That's what I look for."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23301572/baker-mayfield-definitely-conversation-cleveland-browns-no-1-pick

Hopefully they pull the trigger on B.Mayfield and open up the chance of Colts selecting Barkley/Chubb or Nelson.

FYI Colts fans, Our current roster really doesn't have anyone special minus 1 or 2 players. We need special aka Pro Bowlers asap. And Adam V is 75 y/o.

I.E. Jags have Calais Campbell, LB Jack, CB Ramsey, RB Fournette, DT Marcell Dareus  (off the top of my head)

Colts have TY, Luck (when healthy), and...maybe Hooker/Mack (as in special players). We have to get realistic with our roster and add difference makers.

Side note: We need to come out of this draft with a solid DT/DE. We have no difference makers on the DL (Audry is new) and DE Anderson is often injured. If you don't control the LOS you will lose against PATS, Steelers every year!

1 hour ago, krunk said:

There's a lot of QB rumors going around right now.  Honestly Mayfield wouldn't shock me.  Something special about him to me. The Browns staff and GM showed a lot of interest in him early in the process.  I don't really care about his height.  Kids got a good arm on him.  He's very accurate, protects the football, hell of a competitor and he knows what he's doing within the scheme that he plays. He understands mentally what's going on.   I could see him being like a more mobile Drew Brees on this level.  Maturity might be a bit of an issue, but I don't think it's Johnny Manziel level stuff.

Yep. Mayfield wouldn't surpise me either. I think CLE has a specific offensive scheme they are going to be implementing...hence the Hyde signing and trades for Landry and Taylor. Mayfield's mobility, abiilty to throw on the run and his accuracy on short-intermediate passing will play very nicely within it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yep. Mayfield wouldn't surpise me either. I think CLE has a specific offensive scheme they are going to be implementing...hence the Hyde signing and trades for Landry and Taylor. Mayfield's mobility, abiilty to throw on the run and his accuracy on short-intermediate passing will play very nicely within it. 

Yeah I wouldn't rule him out.   Love his competitive spirit, very strong.

2 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23301572/baker-mayfield-definitely-conversation-cleveland-browns-no-1-pick

This is probably just predraft smoke but this would be great if it is true. 

1 mayfield 

2 barkley

3 darnold

4 trade - allen

5 nelson/rosen

6 chubb/Nelson - depending on 5. 

This is could be the top 6 ..... if chubb, Nelson and Barkley are gone and there a bunch of QB’s left colts trade back for a huge randsom. 

1 mayfield

2 chubb/barkley

3 darnold

4 barkley/Chubb

5 Nelson 

6 trade out 

I watched the video of him getting arrested....I'd pass....he went down like a sack of potatoes. Those cops lit him up lol!....Well he was already lit up but you catch my drift. Put me in the not a fan category of Mayfield. He is short, not overly fast (like RW), incredibly arrogant, immature, doesn't have a huge arm. Don't get me wrong....doesn't mean he couldn't be good....sometimes lightning strikes....but he fits the Manziel mold imo more than the Brees/Brady mold.

Actually I'd love for him to go #1...then see Cleveland use #4 on Allen or another qb and watch him cry and complain. He wouldn't even visit with the Bears because they took Tribisky last year and ignored the Chargers basically because they were too far down the draft board. Guy would deserve it.

3 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Only if Barkley makes it to 4

The only player that would make the Browns select at No.4, after a QB at No.1, over Chubb would be Barkley, IMO. 

The Giants are the singular swing of a draft pick in this draft in the Top 10. If they go QB, lots of dominoes fall. Maybe they are guarding their like for Mayfield and keeping it close to the vest.

• Like 1