Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peter King Floats a Colts Trade Idea....

So, in today's MMQB,  he says he believes the Colts want to do a deal with Buffalo..

But here's where he gets creative...     The Bills not only have two 2's,  they also have two 3's...   pick 65 and 97...

King thinks Ballard might actually PREFER asking for 12,  and Buffalo's two 2's and the Bills other three...   pick 97.     A 4-for-1 deal.    The points pretty much work out.

But that would give the Colts FIVE 2's and TWO 3's...     and that might be appealing to both the Colts and the Bills who would still have pick 22 and 65 plus pick 6 trading up.

Win-win for both sides.....

Very Interesting....

I still think Ballard wants to do a deal with SOMEONE that would give the Colts a pick or picks in 2019....    so we'll see if that unfolds during the draft....

• Like 2

Agreed.  I don't think he would want 5 2s in one draft.  Lots of chances to get some great talent, but I think he would prefer to have the picks spread out over 2018 and 2019.  It's a better strategy should some of these players become stars and enter their  2nd contract. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

OK, but then who falls to us at 12?  Anybody elite?

Be real in answers... who are the 11 that come off first...

4 QBs, Chubb, Nelson, and Barkley are all almost a guarantee to go top 10. Smith, Edmunds, Ward, Fitzpatrick, James, Vea will be the next ones off the board imo. So 2 from that list will for sure be there at 12.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

If I had the choice I would rank the options like this with the Bills like this:

1. #12+next year's first

2. #12+this idea with multiple day 2 picks

3. #12+#22

And BTW I don't hate even no. 3 depending on who's there at 6. 

Ya I agree. Getting a 2019 first could pay huge dividends if the team we trade with does terrible. Look at the browns and Texans trade from last year that landed them the #4 pick this year. 

On the one hand, I get the idea behind moving down for more draft ammo that can be applied next year. Here's what makes me leery though. What other franchise is known for stockpiling picks? Cleveland & Hue Jackson. Sometimes, more is just more. I guess I have grown accustom to the fact that INDY seldom moves from their draft locations in previous seasons & I took comfort in the fact that our philosophy typically was stay where you're at & grab the BPA sitting there. 

I get the notion that we have so many holes to fill that massaging our position & dropping down makes sense with other willing team partners, but at a certain point, a bunch of 2's & 3's from Buffalo doesn't exactly trip my trigger man. Give us at least one 1. 

Ballard will make this move & I'm fine with it even though I was hoping for a shot at Nelson. Chicago will probably grab him anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So, in today's MMQB,  he says he believes the Colts want to do a deal with Buffalo..

But here's where he gets creative...     The Bills not only have two 2's,  they also have two 3's...   pick 65 and 97...

King thinks Ballard might actually PREFER asking for 12,  and Buffalo's two 2's and the Bills other three...   pick 97.     A 4-for-1 deal.    The points pretty much work out.

But that would give the Colts FIVE 2's and TWO 3's...     and that might be appealing to both the Colts and the Bills who would still have pick 22 and 65 plus pick 6 trading up.

Very Interesting....

I still think Ballard wants to do a deal with SOMEONE that would give the Colts a pick or picks in 2019....    so we'll see if that unfolds during the draft....

Has Peter King been reading this forum again?  haha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

On the one hand, I get the idea behind moving down for more draft ammo that can be applied next year. Here's what makes me leery though. What other franchise is known for stockpiling picks? Cleveland & Hue Jackson. Sometimes, more is just more. I guess I have grown accustom to the fact that INDY seldom moves from their draft locations in previous seasons & I took comfort in the fact that our philosophy typically was stay where you're at & grab the BPA sitting there. 

I get the notion that we have so many holes to fill that massaging our position & dropping down makes sense with other willing team partners, but at a certain point, a bunch of 2's & 3's from Buffalo doesn't exactly trip my trigger man. Give us at least one 1. 

Ballard will make this move & I'm fine with it even though I was hoping for a shot at Nelson. Chicago will probably grab him anyway. 

Ditto.... I don't understand picks in the 2nd & 3rd rounds being preferred over pick #22?

I would hope for #12, #22, and all the 2nd rounders you can talk them out of.

• Like 1

I like this trade proposal better than getting 22 or a 1 next year.  This year, the talent dropoff from pick 20 to 50 isn't that great IMO, so having 5 picks in the 2nd would be great.

If we drop to pick 12, I think the pick should be McGlinchey over Ward.  Any offensive scheme needs a lockdown tackle, but a zone corner defensive scheme can get corners below pick 12.

If we get Buffalo's 12 and 22 instead of the 2nds, I like McGlinchey then Rashaad Evans for MIKE.  We could get Darius Leonard in round 2 or 3 for SAM and Shaq Griffen in round 4 or 5 for WILL.  That would be a very active group of LBs.

9 hours ago, wig said:

If I'm trading with Buffalo, I want 12, a 2nd and their first next year. The next year first being key because I think they'll be really bad. 

you think they will be bad? they were a playoff team.  i think they will be fine if they hit on this QB

the team that i think will be bad is the dolphins, their pick could end up higher than the 6 we have now.   of course they might be reluctant to trade it for that reason too

I would think ANY trade down would have to include some kind of pick in 2019.  Remember, this isn't the only draft that is going to rebuild this team.  He's looking ahead.  He already got one 2nd round pick for next year and I would think he would want to continue that theme.  I'm thinking a 2nd next year would need to be included to make a deal happen.

9 hours ago, southwest1 said:

New England has a history of doing this as well. 

Ballard stated that they have 8 players non QB that they have rated very closely.  Which would signal to me that they think the player they get at 12 would be very similar to the player they get at 6 from an impact standpoint.  If he can get additional picks and still get a premier player then great.  This could all be smoke though and they stay at 6.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I like this trade proposal better than getting 22 or a 1 next year.  This year, the talent dropoff from pick 20 to 50 isn't that great IMO, so having 5 picks in the 2nd would be great.

If we drop to pick 12, I think the pick should be McGlinchey over Ward.  Any offensive scheme needs a lockdown tackle, but a zone corner defensive scheme can get corners below pick 12.

If we get Buffalo's 12 and 22 instead of the 2nds, I like McGlinchey then Rashaad Evans for MIKE.  We could get Darius Leonard in round 2 or 3 for SAM and Shaq Griffen in round 4 or 5 for WILL.  That would be a very active group of LBs.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  My guess would be that the Colts view the players from 20 on very similarly and would like as many picks during that section as possible.

10 hours ago, stitches said:

If I had the choice I would rank the options with the Bills like this:

1. #12+next year's first

2. #12+this idea with multiple day 2 picks

3. #12+#22

And BTW I don't hate even no. 3 depending on who's there at 6. 

If I could get two of their day two picks (a 2nd and a 3rd round pick) AND next year's 1st...sign me up.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Very Interesting....

If Buffalo is the trade partner (if there is actually a trade) I would rather have 12 and 22 and whatever else Ballard can get.  They can still move back in the draft with that 22nd pick if they are so inclined and get an offer they can't refuse.  I imagine someone moving up to get the 22nd pick would net a day 2 pick or two plus a # 1 next year.  That would be a great haul.

And if they decide to keep # 22, it means Indy has that 5th year option.

• Like 1

I've heard enough trade talks and mocked trades between the Colts and Bills to the point I want to throat punch a puppy.  Like, it's the magic words that send me into a trance and I just go slugging on puppies throats.  I love puppies and if you love puppies, you'll stop forcing me to want to punch their throats.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I would prefer number 1 next year but I see no reason Buffalo would do that. They have plenty of stockpiled talent in this draft there is no reason to push out the pick into next years draft in their eyes. I think they would find a different trading partner. To me this scenario makes a lot of sense to Buffalo as they get to keep both 1st rd picks and one of their second rounds. I know we need a lot of help but that many picks is overkill.....UNLESS your going to trade back up. We could easily do that with 36 and a third to get back into the first rd anyways....so then we still have these 2nd rds and additional 3rd now. Heck we may even then be able to trade up a couple times and still end up with the same amount of picks. I agree. The extra picks would be more beneficial...I don't think we use them all on players but I do think we use them to move up the board with those two early 2nd round picks possibly. We would have a lot of ammo. Either way the picks would be valuable. If we miss our target at 6 and we think we can still land a difference maker (and I could see either of those LBs as that at 12) we could move back. Draft night will certainly be exciting!

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

you think they will be bad? they were a playoff team.  i think they will be fine if they hit on this QB

the team that i think will be bad is the dolphins, their pick could end up higher than the 6 we have now.   of course they might be reluctant to trade it for that reason too

they were a bad playoff team, lost pretty much their entire offensive line and will be looking at a rookie QB.  yeah, i think they'll be bad.

12 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

OK, but then who falls to us at 12?  Anybody elite?

Be real in answers... who are the 11 that come off first...

This is the problem with falling back to 12 to me. 

Davenport?  Landry?  Reach a bit for McGlinchey?  I don't necessarily agree with what Ballard has said, which was there were 8 to 10 non-QB elite talents in this draft. 

That said, it would be hard to argue that the picks gained wouldn't benefit the Colts far more than one player at 3 or 6. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wig said:

they were a bad playoff team, lost pretty much their entire offensive line and will be looking at a rookie QB.  yeah, i think they'll be bad.

fair enough. 

just thought i would point out the dolphins lost most of their good players too and they were worse in the first place

I am not a patient person by nature...but next year's draft class is loaded with DL players. So if the Cotls can get an extra 1st round pick next year (somehow) in lieu of another pick this year, I can't imagine they turn it down in most scenarios. And if I was Ballard, inside my binder would be an entire section titled "how to get Rashan Gary to become a Colt."

Ideally, the Colts can somehow get another two day two picks AND a future 1st. And I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard's asking price includes something close to that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Ditto.... I don't understand picks in the 2nd & 3rd rounds being preferred over pick #22?

I would hope for #12, #22, and all the 2nd rounders you can talk them out of.

Beautifully stated LJ. You actually articulated my confusion over an array of 2's & 3's better than I did. A few days before the draft & it feels like every organization is playing a shell game. No team or GM is honest at this point. It's all smoke & mirrors man. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dilger85 said:

New England has a history of doing this as well. 

Ballard stated that they have 8 players non QB that they have rated very closely.  Which would signal to me that they think the player they get at 12 would be very similar to the player they get at 6 from an impact standpoint.  If he can get additional picks and still get a premier player then great.  This could all be smoke though and they stay at 6.

Yeah, I do remember Ballard saying that too. The 8 players we really are going after & think we can get later on by moving down & the biggest bang for our buck so to speak. 

Yes, NE does like to accumulate picks that is true they do. Although, the need to find Brady's eventual replacement.  Therefore, they will grab a QB this draft. 

I know right? There's always a degree of GM deception when Ballard & others interact with the media late in April. Nobody can trust anything said right now. It's like the courtship phase in a relationship. Nobody tells the truth in that stage either--The man or the woman. One party wants to get physical & the other party wants a shiny rock & praise from her tribe of fellow female sisters in arms. Enough said. 

• Like 1

12 and 22 easily

to me vea would be the worst scenario at 12 but more likely then not one of the other 8 premier players will be available. Any one of James ward fitz smith or edmunds sounds great to me with picking up the 22 

Hernandez or vander esch at 22 or anyone that falls really. 

Unless it goes 4 qb and Barkley before us trading down with buffalo seems too perfect