Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Even if we don't make the playoffs this season, it can still be successful if...

colt18

Luck is healthy and the young players improve...  Indy doesn't need to make the playoffs this season for it to be encouraging, I'd say.

The real measure, in my eyes, will have to do with coaching... If we have found the staff who can develop talent on both sides of the ball and call plays/make adjustments on Sundays, then I'm a happy camper, regardless of 2018 w/l record. 

I'm not expecting 11 wins... Record-wise, I'd be pretty encouraged by 8-8 with the way the schedule looks. We are a very young team that lacks talent atm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Andrew Luck plays all 16 games and improves 

Marlon Mack improves in pass protection and has more than 700 yards rushing on the season

Colts don’t get smoked by :flyingelvis: this time around. At least lose by no more 14. Tired of getting blown out by them

T.Y. Hilton reclaims his receiving title 

Clayton Geathers plays all 16 games 

Malik Hooker plays all 16 games and leads the league in interceptions 

The offensive line doesn’t kill Andrew Luck

Especially agree about the offensive line.

I'll also add that the D does a better job in 3rd downs.  I believe we were the worst (or very close to it) on 3rd down conversions last year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Especially agree about the offensive line.

I'll also add that the D does a better job in 3rd downs.  I believe we were the worst (or very close to it) on 3rd down conversions last year.

Not too worried about the defense cause having a healthy Andrew changes the game

Defense was good against the run, just need a pass rush. Made plays in games but gassed out towards the end cause offense stalled out a lot

Luck changes that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Marlon Mack improves in pass protection and has more than 700 yards rushing on the season

Colts don’t get smoked by :flyingelvis: this time around. At least lose by no more 14. Tired of getting blown out by them

Still need OL nasty enough to protect him

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Not too worried about the defense cause having a healthy Andrew changes the game

Defense was good against the run, just need a pass rush. Made plays in games but gassed out towards the end cause offense stalled out a lot

Luck changes that

I agree the pass rush was the major issue, but we lost our D anchor (Hankins) and we're switching to a Tampa2 style D this year.  I remember it being a "bend, don't break" type of D and unless the new staff has a way of stopping those  under routes we will give up field position like crazy.

Hope I'm wrong, but we desperately need cover LB's.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CamMo said:

Andrew Luck stays in tact all season. If Luck can come back healthy and look good throwing TDS, it’s a win in my book.

Good point CMO. We need to see Luck in the huddle for 16 weeks before we worry about the Pats. 

Yes, I know there are no huddles in the league anymore just up tempo offenses. I miss huddles though, but I digress. 

59 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Luck is healthy and the young players improve...  Indy doesn't need to make the playoffs this season for it to be encouraging, I'd say.

The real measure, in my eyes, will have to do with coaching... If we have found the staff who can develop talent on both sides of the ball and call plays/make adjustments on Sundays, then I'm a happy camper, regardless of 2018 w/l record. 

I'm not expecting 11 wins... Record-wise, I'd be pretty encouraged by 8-8 with the way the schedule looks. We are a very young team that lacks talent atm.

This

14 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

We don't see play calling like this

It's all fun & games until somebody goes for the jugular baby. haha Sorry Chuck, but MKH is a truth teller man. 

Off Topic Side note: Forum member BOTT was right when he asked the question: Why does the NFL require fans to go to the You Tube link inside their video to see game footage? Seems counterproductive if your goal is to increase fan expose of your product on a global scale doesn't it? Drives me nuts. Carry on...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Luck changes that

We had a healthy Andrew Luck in 2016...  he started 15 of 16 games and enjoyed one of his best seasons.

And the defense still finshed 31st...    in everything...  points, yards, rushing and passing.   You name it.

Remember we're not running the same defense as we've been.   So Ballard is going to bring in a ton of new guys over the next 2-3 years to run tbe new defense.

New administration...   new coaches...  new players...   new schemes...   new everything.

If we can avoid becoming one of the most injured teams in the league this year, Luck plays 16 games, Hooker, Wilson, Basham and Mack all continue to improve while staying healthy. Ballard blows the draft out of the water. 

If these things ^ happen i would be so thrilled about our season and we can definitely start thinking about playoffs next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

We don't see play calling like this

I'll never understand anyone that could defend the previous coaching regime after this playcall, lol.

Not only do we call a horrible fake punt against a stout defense with plenty of time left on the clock, we do this with a fake center who never practiced the play....SMH 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I'll never understand anyone that could defend the previous coaching regime after this playcall, lol.

Not only do we call a horrible fake punt against a stout defense with plenty of time left on the clock, we do this with a fake center who never practiced the play....SMH 

An * snapped the ball. What else do you have.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Great post.  Couldn't agree more.  TBH, I'm still on the fence with Reich. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

We had a healthy Andrew Luck in 2016...  he started 15 of 16 games and enjoyed one of his best seasons.

And the defense still finshed 31st...      So Ballard is going to bring in a ton of new guys over the next 2-3 years to run tbe new defense.

The major transformation for the defense began in 2017 and was much improved in 2017.

Of the 26 defensive players on the Colts roster in Sept of 2016, Only 6 players remain. 20 defenders are gone including 10 starters.  

The defense was much better last year. That's one reason why I think the Colts will be a better team this year than many people think. Of course the defense needs more upgrading, but Ballard accomplished a lot in his first year.

3 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

No offense but would you be okay with 8-8 if Pagano was still here?

If the Colts don’t make the playoffs, I’d be disappointed. 

3 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

If these all will happen, there's zero chance the Colts wont make the playoffs. :)

4 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I just gotta say that fake punt game the Colts lost by 7. The last time we faced them we lost by 7

1 hour ago, egg said:

The major transformation for the defense began in 2017 and was much improved in 2017.

Of the 26 defensive players on the Colts roster in Sept of 2016, Only 6 players remain. 20 defenders are gone including 10 starters.  

The defense was much better last year. That's one reason why I think the Colts will be a better team this year than many people think. Of course the defense needs more upgrading, but Ballard accomplished a lot in his first year.

The Defense lost good starters from last year like Melvin and Hankins. V. Davis but he was injured and waived anyway. But also lost Mingo who was good depth.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, egg said:

Thanks....    I appreciate the info....   but where i'd differ is saying that Ballard accomplished a lot for his first year.   Many of his move years were to stop the bleeding the first year.     But signings like Hankins and Sheard and Simon and a number of others were more geared for 2017,  but not much beyond.

I don't think Chris Ballard is building a 4-3 defense with the idea of Sheard and Simon being the long-term solutions at DE.

So,  from the 2017 draft,  you have two pretty safe starters....   Hooker and Wilson and a half-starter,  Hairston.   He's the nickle slot to I consider him a half-starter since he's not a 3-down player.       Bashamn MAY turn into something.   Maybe.     Same with Stewart,  same with Walker.    But those guys are still question marks.

This is year Two of the rebuild.   I expect Ballard to try for at least 3 more starters on his defense...  hopefully more,  but that's not a guarantee.     And then more starters next year.

2017 was a nice start,  but we've got a long way to go....     I expect an improved defense this year,   but the defense in 2020 is going to look a lot different than what we put on the field in 2018.

6 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

If all this happens do you really not see us at least making playoffs a healthy and protected luck will get you the division title easy plus a nasty and HEALTHY safety duo that's 11-12 win team

9 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Last time we played them we only lost by 7.

11 hours ago, lance_m8 said:

If all this happens do you really not see us at least making playoffs a healthy and protected luck will get you the division title easy plus a nasty and HEALTHY safety duo that's 11-12 win team

I had the same thought after reading that list - that looks like a playoff team resume right there!