Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Freeney set to retire as Colt


Recommended Posts

Zac Keefer (or anyone else that could answer this) - OK, so I'm all in on retiring #93, but other players have worn #93 since Freeney left; but no one has worn #88 for 7 or 8 years & no one has worn #87 for 3 years, but neither #'s have been "retired".  What's the scoop on this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CopenhagenColt said:

Mathis/Freeney was fun. Man we had a good team back then.

We had a Great team back then. A little history:

From 2002-2010: Colts were 109-35 in the Regular Season, were 9-8 in the playoffs with 3 Final 4's, 2 SB Apps, and a SB win. That is 9 seasons of greatness, this is why some fans are spoiled rotten lmao 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I ever saw another pass rusher get to the quarterback faster as often as he did. When Freeney beat guys he was an absolute blur.

 

I think my favorite sack was in the New Orleans Super Bowl we lost. It was really ironic. As usual that year, we had pulled starters out of late season games to protect ourselves from gettin injured. Then, on one of the LAST freakin plays against the Jets in the AFC Championship game, Freeney hurt his ankle bad --- tore a ligament. 

We weren't sure, even with the 2 week rest, that he was going to be able to play in the Super Bowl. But he taped it up and played. Early in the game, Saints driving, Freeney just BULLRUSHES the OT in front of him and with one hand rips Brees down.

I still think if Dwight had been healthy in that game, we would have gotten a couple more stops and won.

Best Colt DE I've ever personally seen.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the best pass rushers to ever play the game. It was always such a pleasure to see Freeney and Mathis rush the QB every Sunday. The spin move is something I will always remember. So happy he is retiring with the Colts.

 

Let's not waste any time and get him into the Ring of Honor ASAP.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Gigc said:

I don't think I ever saw another pass rusher get to the quarterback faster as often as he did. When Freeney beat guys he was an absolute blur.

 

I think my favorite sack was in the New Orleans Super Bowl we lost. It was really ironic. As usual that year, we had pulled starters out of late season games to protect ourselves from gettin injured. Then, on one of the LAST freakin plays against the Jets in the AFC Championship game, Freeney hurt his ankle bad --- tore a ligament. 

We weren't sure, even with the 2 week rest, that he was going to be able to play in the Super Bowl. But he taped it up and played. Early in the game, Saints driving, Freeney just BULLRUSHES the OT in front of him and with one hand rips Brees down.

I still think if Dwight had been healthy in that game, we would have gotten a couple more stops and won.

Best Colt DE I've ever personally seen.

Had he been healthy, we would've won the SB. That was the difference.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Gigc said:

I don't think I ever saw another pass rusher get to the quarterback faster as often as he did. When Freeney beat guys he was an absolute blur.

 

I think my favorite sack was in the New Orleans Super Bowl we lost. It was really ironic. As usual that year, we had pulled starters out of late season games to protect ourselves from gettin injured. Then, on one of the LAST freakin plays against the Jets in the AFC Championship game, Freeney hurt his ankle bad --- tore a ligament. 

We weren't sure, even with the 2 week rest, that he was going to be able to play in the Super Bowl. But he taped it up and played. Early in the game, Saints driving, Freeney just BULLRUSHES the OT in front of him and with one hand rips Brees down.

I still think if Dwight had been healthy in that game, we would have gotten a couple more stops and won.

Best Colt DE I've ever personally seen.

Nicely said. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oddly enough I was thinking about him the other day wondering whether he would retire or not. 

 

The fact he would do it as a Colt is a bit surprising given how Pagano and Grigson dumped him. And he went to a bunch of other teams afterwards but his career was best here obviously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah after that happened I went from laughing to walking out of the room lmao 

I know. I knew when it happened it was the game changer. It's like the wind went out of the Colts the rest of the game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We had a Great team back then. A little history:

From 2002-2010: Colts were 109-35 in the Regular Season, were 9-8 in the playoffs with 3 Final 4's, 2 SB Apps, and a SB win. That is 9 seasons of greatness, this is why some fans are spoiled rotten lmao 

Don't you miss the 'wake me up in January' attitude we used to have? Or the great starts we always had? Always rattling off to 9,10,11 wins real quick into every season.

 

We are lucky to have seen that run. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, IinD said:

Don't you miss the 'wake me up in January' attitude we used to have? Or the great starts we always had? Always rattling off to 9,10,11 wins real quick into every season.

 

We are lucky to have seen that run. 

 

Yeah I miss it badly. That 9 season stretch of 109-35 in the Regular Season from 2002-2010, 2 SB Apps, and SB win was so incredible. When we did lose, I was shocked actually as I was even taking wins for granted every week lmao 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • There IS another possibility. Let’s say your scenario plays out just as suggested:  the Colts draft a LT who isn’t quite ready ( 2nd rounder ); Tevi opens the season as the starter; BUT, Tevi proves to be a turnstile. What to do? Big Q to the rescue. In a pinch, why not? You do it until your rookie is ready for the full time job and fill in at LG with one of the backups like Pinter. The opposition to moving Q to LT is far less convincing if Plan A has bombed. 
    • That is why he wants to leave, you are making it about something else.  You are the one out in left field here   The coaching situation is one small part of this, not the whole story by a long shot The coach they hired is black , it isn't about race
    • Well if you are going to use stats to make a point, yes it is important how they are measured. So now that you aren't using them I'm guessing my point on separation stat was true.   -My last post on the subject
    • I'm thinking the reason these Watson topics get locked is because the conversation starts veering into opinions about matters that are not relevant.  In this case, what Easterby is or isn't, and therefore by extension what HOU is or isn't by their employment of him.  Your opinion is determined by whatever lens you own, not proven facts.  Apparently, the locker room and NFL have a diverse set of lenses whereby some things are bigger deals to some players and not such a big deal to others.   It seems some support Watson holding out for a trade because their lens shows them that HOU is bad for the reasons of Easterby and McNair.    So they are supporting Watson holding out for a trade, but, its for different reason than Watson has expressed.   That's why I was wondering why irrelevant topics are being brought into a discussion about Watson and the reasons motivating a trade.  His reasons need to be understood because they would carry on to another owner.  Its not about the reasons we think he should want one, or the reasons why JJWatt thinks he should want one.    Watson's reasons are clearly about EB.  And if Watson is linking Bienemy to a violation of the Rooney Rule, the Rooney Rule has been around for about 15 years and the Texans have complied.  Its almost like he's taken a 3 minute look at the EB situation and expressed a public hot take conclusion without even knowing the Texans record of complying with the Rooney Rule.            
    • I agree what did most pundits say that we had the most complete roster in football last season.  Why, because Ballard built that through the draft for the most part and it hasn't put the team in salary cap hell like many other teams that don't even have the roster that we have so the credit goes to Ballard. 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...