Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard rated as one of the league's most respected decision makers

loudnproudcolt

Everyone can argue among us fans about what Ballard did in FA, and his plan going forward, but in the end, what the players say to their Agents has a much larger impact going forward. When Ballard finds the long term pieces he is looking for, I believe he will then use FA to fill in the holes to get over the top, as it should be done. I felt much better about the plan after I read the article. I felt Ballard has shown professionalism since he got here, and I really liked his style, but being trusted by Agents and Players who are working with you might be one of the most important chartacteristics a GM can have going forward in rebuilding the Colts. The link is below, and makes for some interesting reading on who is trusted in the league and who is not!

One note I found most interesting, is where John Elway stands with Players Agents.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/usa-today-poll-washington-redskins-are-the-least-trusted-team-in-the-nfl-and-one-of-the-worst-prepared/

• Like 3

There are a number of fans here who have yet to decide that they like or trust Chris Ballard.

They don't like the decisions he makes,  they like the decisions that other teams make more than the ones Ballard has made.    They have serious issues with them.    And no one is going to change their minds on the issue.

For these people,  they'll wait until the Colts win a Super Bowl before deciding if they like Ballard.    For these people,  if the Colts win the Super Bowl in 2020,  they'd complain that it would've happened sooner if he only had signed free agents in the Spring of 2018.    

For these people,  Balard could call them into a room for a private meeting.    Ballard could tell them every single thing he's done,  and why,  and every single then he didn't do,  and why,   and what his vision is for the team,  and how he hopes to achieve it,  and it still wouldn't be enough.    They'd still be skeptical.

For these people,  God, could tell them,  "Trust Chris Ballard, he knows what he's doing!"   And they still wouldn't change their mind.

It'll be hard to satisfy these people.    Really hard.....

As for the Poll....    remember,  this is a poll of player agents.    I'd be skeptical of any poll about who they like and don't like,  trust and not rust.     These are agents...    not exactly the most reputable people to deal with....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

There are a number of fans here who have yet to decide that they like or trust Chris Ballard.

They don't like the decisions he makes,  they like the decisions that other teams make more than the ones Ballard has made.    They have serious issues with them.    And no one is going to change their minds on the issue.

For these people,  they'll wait until the Colts win a Super Bowl before deciding if they like Ballard.    For these people,  if the Colts win the Super Bowl in 2020,  they'd complain that it would've happened sooner if he only had signed free agents in the Spring of 2018.    

For these people,  Balard could call them into a room for a private meeting.    Ballard could tell them every single thing he's done,  and why,  and every single then he didn't do,  and why,   and what his vision is for the team,  and how he hopes to achieve it,  and it still wouldn't be enough.    They'd still be skeptical.

For these people,  God, could tell them,  "Trust Chris Ballard, he knows what he's doing!"   And they still wouldn't change their mind.

As for the Poll....    remember,  this is a poll of player agents.    I'd be skeptical of any poll about who they like and don't like,  trust and not rust.     These are agents...    not exactly the most reputable people to deal with....

Agreed that they're not the most reputable people to deal with, but these are people who are NOT making a ton of money from Ballard's signings, and I doubt any attempt to blow smoke has any impact on the future.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Is it wrong to be skeptical until the team wins more then 3 games in a season under Ballard?  

I don't dislike him, I don't automatically think he's a bad GM.  I'm not a fan of his overly conservative approach to FA but I know he can't please everyone.

What I find odd is that you treat him like he's already proven himself.  And he hasn't proved diddly squat.  

It's not like I want him fired or anything.  I'm just going to wait til he starts winning some games before I go all trusting that the guy knows what he's doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In this instagram / twitter age everyone wants to label people as soon as possible. Often the labels come too early. "Goff is a bust." "He won GM of the year, he's a really good GM."   

I'm excited to see what CB can do with this historic, franchise-altering draft.  Maybe he's gunna screw it up. But let's give him some time before the dagger come out! Hopefully he brings some playmakers in and actually figures a way to "protect 12"

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Is it wrong to be skeptical until the team wins more then 3 games in a season under Ballard?  

I don't dislike him, I don't automatically think he's a bad GM.  I'm not a fan of his overly conservative approach to FA but I know he can't please everyone.

What I find odd is that you treat him like he's already proven himself.  And he hasn't proved diddly squat.  

It's not like I want him fired or anything.  I'm just going to wait til he starts winning some games before I go all trusting that the guy knows what he's doing.

Valpo.....

Ballard's team won 4 games last year,  not 3,  but I know what you're trying to say....

Here's the problem....    the team won 4 games WITHOUT Andrew Luck.   And typically the people here who don't like Ballard refuse to take that into consideration.     Do you think the Colts win 4 games last year if Luck was healthy and played all 16 games?     Of course not.     Maybe they win 7, or 8, or 9?     Now, how does Ballard's first year look?

You think he's done "diddly squat."     I think he's done a ton.   I loved his handling of free agency in 2017.    I loved the discipline he showed when he let guys like Hankins and Poe come to the facility and leave WITHOUT a contract.   He did that with others too.   And it worked with Hankins,  who later came back for a better deal for the team.

And I loved what Ballard did with his first draft.   I thought he was a real pro.

And while I didn't love his handling of the free agency this year,  I understand he had a plan and executed it.   And that Irsay supported it.    At any time,  Irsay could've said to spend more money and he didn't and Ballard didn't.

And I appreciated that he handled Pagano with great respect and supported him the best he could. 

And I love the moves he's made for this year's draft.   He's handled himself like a man with a plan.

Ballard is a pro.   And the rest of the NFL knows it,  even if some of the fan base doesn't.

You don't think Ballard has done much.    I think he's done a lot....     we see this very differently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

Agreed that they're not the most reputable people to deal with, but these are people who are NOT making a ton of money from Ballard's signings, and I doubt any attempt to blow smoke has any impact on the future.

My comment about agents has nothing to do with Ballard.    It has more to do with the view of Elway and the view of any GM frankly.    Ballard's got a very good reputation around the NFL.    I suspect he's got a good one with agents,  but I don't know...

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You are painting with a broad brush but not hitting yourself.   There is no difference in the people who are questioning Ballards moves (or lack of) and those who are blindly supporting him.  

I have no issue if fans question his moves.   That's part of being a fan.   Personally, I have liked most of his moves the past year or so.   Bringing in cheap talent who are young and strong with something to prove.   Put us in a good cap position.  I don't like that he doesn't seem willing to sign many with proven talent (I hope he proves me wrong and gets CJ Anderson in here).   

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

You are painting with a broad brush but not hitting yourself.   There is no difference in the people who are questioning Ballards moves (or lack of) and those who are blindly supporting him.  

I have no issue if fans question his moves.   That's part of being a fan.   Personally, I have liked most of his moves the past year or so.   Bringing in cheap talent who are young and strong with something to prove.   Put us in a good cap position.  I don't like that he doesn't seem willing to sign many with proven talent (I hope he proves me wrong and gets CJ Anderson in here).   

Look back up the thread just a few posts for my response to Valpo.

I am NOT blindly supporting Ballard as you suggest.   My post breaks down my reasons.    And there are more reasons that I chose not to use because of length..

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You mean like this guy?

NFL.com did one of these recently. They didn't rank anyone who was hired after 2016, except retreads Gettleman, Dorsey and Hurney.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000927154/article/gm-power-rankings-howie-roseman-kevin-colbert-among-best

And that makes sense to me, and I might have cut out anyone hired after 2015. It's kind of ridiculous to try to rank or judge a GM 15 months into the job, when there's no track record of his ability to identify talent, work the draft, make good decisions in free agency, handle the cap, or run a team in general, including handling personalities and building a culture.

Ryan Grigson won Exec of the Year in his first season. Not saying he didn't deserve it -- I think he had an outstanding first season -- but he didn't wind up being a good GM. He failed in a lot of ways by the time he got fired. And that took five years to happen.

I think everyone loved the Niners draft last year, and was ready to crown John Lynch as the next great GM. A year later, Solomon Thomas might be a bust and Reuben Foster is a disaster. 

Three years ago, John Elway was the greatest dude in the league. Now, he's scrambling, failing on multiple QBs. 

One year ago, Les Snead was on the hot seat and had just blown the #1 pick + everything they gave up to move up to #1 on Jared Goff. Now -- ironically also premature -- the Rams are being crowned as SB contenders.

If it takes three years to judge a draft class, shouldn't it take at least that long to judge a GM? Sure, there are some moves that can immediately be viewed as successful, and some that are immediately obvious as being mistakes. For the most part, though, it makes sense to just wait and see how things shake out. Instead, the common reaction is to lambaste someone the minute they do something we disagree with or don't understand. Like people ready to push Chris Ballard in front of a moving train because he wasn't signing free agents two days before free agency started.

To the OP, this being a poll of people in the business, based on their respect for decision makers, I get it. But I don't care what people think of the Colts GM, I just care whether he gets the job done. And we can't even legitimately talk about that for probably another couple years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That is FLIPPING HYSTERICAL!!    :spit:

I have never heard of this guy before...   that is classic!

Thanks for sharing this!     

It's funny to go to Twitter and just search "FireBallard," some of them have aged SO horribly, like this one from last year right after Hooker was selected...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Can we give Ballard at least 3 seasons worth of Drafts before we judge and a healthy Luck. The man has been here 1 year without our franchise QB and some people think he stinks already. I mean really? Grigson was Great quickly but he should've been with Luck thrown at him lmao. After the Luck Draft he was awful.

• Thanks 2

This post is for @Steamboat Shaun ...

Stop!    You're killing me!!      :lol:

Hey....    we all have opinions...   and we're all entitled to them....   

But over time, we can all see how the decisions Ballard makes work out.  Hopefully, the vast majority of his decisions are hits with very few misses.

It really is a bottom line business...   very results oriented...   improve...   get better... then win..   win a lot...   and finally, win it all...    Then do it all again...

(Sorry...   I don't mean to be Capt. Obvious!).   :thmup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Question his moves by all means, I have no issues with that. I wouldn't have minded seeing him break the bank for Norwell, but he didn't, and life goes on. I'd rather have that happen than sign a guy to a massive deal that he'll never live up to, like many of Grigson's free agents. What annoys me is that there are people who think he should be fired today, literally, 7 days before the draft, his first with his own staff in place. That drives me nuts.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But over time, we can all see how the decisions Ballard makes work out.  Hopefully, the vast majority of his decisions are hits with very few misses.

It really is a bottom line business...   very results oriented...   improve...   get better... then win..   win a lot...   and finally, win it all...    Then do it all again...

I always give GM's and Coaches at least 3 years. You have too IMO. People can say Grigs went 11-5 in year 1 but he had Luck, Ballard didn't in year 1.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This post is for @Steamboat Shaun ...

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and I'm entitled to think those opinions are insane.

21 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Question his moves by all means, I have no issues with that. I wouldn't have minded seeing him break the bank for Norwell, but he didn't, and life goes on. I'd rather have that happen than sign a guy to a massive deal that he'll never live up to, like many of Grigson's free agents. What annoys me is that there are people who think he should be fired today, literally, 7 days before the draft, his first with his own staff in place. That drives me nuts.

Perhaps I have been missing them, but I haven't really seen anyone calling for him to be fired yet.   I have seen many more give him a pass until we wait and see what happens in the future.  There is sense to that since he hasn't been here long and we don't know how the team will perform in the next few seasons.   However, I can't fault people for being disappointed in the moves he makes.   Everyone has their own opinions on what the team needs.  

3 hours ago, Myles said:

The thing is we don't know what he offered the higher priced free agents. Rumor has it he did make offers but had a line on what he would pay for their service.

What you call cheap talent is an insult to those Ballard did sign. Reasonable contracts are not considered cheap. Letting those players earn their pay is smart.

Do you over spend in your personal life? Why should Ballard with the Colts money because you think he should?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Valpo.....

Ballard's team won 4 games last year,  not 3,  but I know what you're trying to say....

Here's the problem....    the team won 4 games WITHOUT Andrew Luck.   And typically the people here who don't like Ballard refuse to take that into consideration.     Do you think the Colts win 4 games last year if Luck was healthy and played all 16 games?     Of course not.     Maybe they win 7, or 8, or 9?     Now, how does Ballard's first year look?

You think he's done "diddly squat."     I think he's done a ton.   I loved his handling of free agency in 2017.    I loved the discipline he showed when he let guys like Hankins and Poe come to the facility and leave WITHOUT a contract.   He did that with others too.   And it worked with Hankins,  who later came back for a better deal for the team.

And I loved what Ballard did with his first draft.   I thought he was a real pro.

And while I didn't love his handling of the free agency this year,  I understand he had a plan and executed it.   And that Irsay supported it.    At any time,  Irsay could've said to spend more money and he didn't and Ballard didn't.

And I appreciated that he handled Pagano with great respect and supported him the best he could. 

And I love the moves he's made for this year's draft.   He's handled himself like a man with a plan.

Ballard is a pro.   And the rest of the NFL knows it,  even if some of the fan base doesn't.

You don't think Ballard has done much.    I think he's done a lot....     we see this very differently.

You are defending the indefensible...there is no quantitative defense of Ballard.  Nor should there be.  He was brought here to do his own thing, and he is doing it.  It will either work or it won't.  I love what Ballard is doing.  All of it.  But only because I think it will work.  It may not.  I say all that having admitted elsewhere that I dislike the defense he is is installing.  I still think it will work.

But, Ballard is still indefensible.  There is nothing to defend.  People only have the opportunity to choose a positive or negative opinion based on what they like or don't like and what they think will or won't work.

You can't even defend Ballard by the winning of 4 games without Luck.  His predecessor won 5 games without Luck in 2015.  Such quantitative logic excludes too many variables.  None of it matters.  Yet.

2 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

You are defending the indefensible...there is no quantitative defense of Ballard.  Nor should there be.  He was brought here to do his own thing, and he is doing it.  It will either work or it won't.  I love what Ballard is doing.  All of it.  But only because I think it will work.  It may not.  I say all that having admitted elsewhere that I dislike the defense he is is installing.  I still think it will work.

But, Ballard is still indefensible.  There is nothing to defend.  People only have the opportunity to choose a positive or negative opinion based on what they like or don't like and what they think will or won't work.

You can't even defend Ballard by the winning of 4 games without Luck.  His predecessor won 5 games without Luck in 2015.  Such quantitative logic excludes too many variables.  None of it matters.  Yet.

Sorry...   strangest post I've ever read from you.

"Defending the indefensible"..,?    I think you're badly over-thinking this... 

Completely unnecessary...

5 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Why should anyone be judged after 1 season is the point I think most people are making.

Ballard wants to “build through the draft”. The reason for not signing large FAs is because he will need that cap space for the home grown, drafted player 2 years from now. He wants to draft his guys and keep them. The more guys we draft, the more expensive this team is going to be, the more cap he is going to need. I have no quarrel with the way he is doing it. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What you call cheap talent is an insult to those Ballard did sign. Reasonable contracts are not considered cheap. Letting those players earn their pay is smart.

Do you over spend in your personal life? Why should Ballard with the Colts money because you think he should?

Cheap is not an insult.   It is accurate to what I said I liked that Ballard did.  

Yes, I occasionally over spend in my personal life.  I could have put in a cheaper boiler, but I spent the extra money for a better quality one because I consider it an important piece.  

CHEAP

(of an item for sale) low in price; worth more than its cost.

synonyms:

inexpensive, low-priced, low-cost, economical, competitive, affordable, reasonable,

Lol, if it's way too early to say he's doing a bad job, isn't it also too early to say he's doing a good job? 

Especially when so far our record is 4-12 with him in charge.

By the end of this season we will have a better idea of his 'rebuilding' formula. By the end of 2019 we will have a lot more results to see if we're heading in right direction or not.

• Like 3

I like what Ballard is doing, he isn't going out spending a butt load of money free agents and using the draft to build a team. I do have a couple concerns though which one will probably contradict what I just said.....

1) He should have fired Pagano last year. I can't remember if it were Irsay who retained him or Ballard but both Pagano and Grigson should have been gone together. 

2) With how the offensive line has been the last couple of years, I thought Ballard should have signed a proven offensive lineman who could start right away (Norwell) instead of signing for depth. but this topic is still up in the air for me until Post Draft. 

Nothing to the point to where I say I don't like him or what he is doing. He has a vision on how he wants this team to be, and I think eventually he will get the colts there. in 2 or 3 years, would be a better opportunity to give better judgement on. I have heard multiple times on TV, from other colts fans here in the Dallas area say Grigson had a better first year in the draft than Ballard did, my response is always, Grigson fell into a gold mine his first year, with Luck, Hilton, Fleener, Allen with their first four picks. After that, he didn't do much, he got Kelly and Mewhort. BUT he will always be known for trading a first rounder for one of the biggest busts in NFL history. built one of the worst defenses in the NFL as well. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

BUT he will always be known for trading a first rounder for one of the biggest busts in NFL history.

Yeah, Grigson might have been able to keep the ship on course if he had used that 1st pick wisely.

Trent Richardson was basically a direct hit on our battleship...

UJsytUn.gif

As long as Ballard is collecting picks instead of trading them away, we should hopefully be fine.  :thmup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Cheap is not an insult.   It is accurate to what I said I liked that Ballard did.  

Yes, I occasionally over spend in my personal life.  I could have put in a cheaper boiler, but I spent the extra money for a better quality one because I consider it an important piece.  

CHEAP

(of an item for sale) low in price; worth more than its cost.

synonyms:

inexpensive, low-priced, low-cost, economical, competitive, affordable, reasonable,

I was referring to the players point of view.

• Like 1

What I find completely maddening is how so many people ranted and raved about how terrible Grigson's approach to FA was with overspending for sub-par talents. You finally have a GM that refuses to do this, shows patience in building a roster with a sound foundation, and that he actually has a plan and a vision for this team. The response? You want him to spend like Grigson. :wall:

I've learned that there are people on this forum that get it and understand how a consistently contending roster is built, an then there's the people that don't and subscribe to the Dan Snyder/Madden Football approach. Ballard's approach may not be flashy, but I truly believe if he's able to do well in the draft this year and next, this will be a REALLY talented roster, aside from Luck, which we haven't had in decades. The Eagles lost arguably the 2 most important guys on their team in Wentz and Jason Peters (LT), among a few other starters, and still won the SB. That is a testament to having a well built team with talent across the roster and great depth.

I'm ok with those that haven't bought in just yet. We all have our thresholds of trust, with some being more willing to give the benefit of the doubt and others more skeptical. Just don't outright bash the guy because you set your own expectations for what you wanted him to do and were let down.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Shive said:

What I find completely maddening is how so many people ranted and raved about how terrible Grigson's approach to FA was with overspending for sub-par talents. You finally have a GM that refuses to do this, shows patience in building a roster with a sound foundation, and that he actually has a plan and a vision for this team. The response? You want him to spend like Grigson. :wall:

I haven't seen that by many, if any, on here.   If someone would have liked him to open the wallet for Norwell, I don't think that equals that they don't like what he has done.  

41 minutes ago, Myles said:

I haven't seen that by many, if any, on here.   If someone would have liked him to open the wallet for Norwell, I don't think that equals that they don't like what he has done.  

I don't think that was the point that Shive was trying to make.

It's more the point of Ballard getting bashed for what he hasn't done more than what he has done.

With the history of a lot of forum members it seems no matter what is done they will always find fault.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think that was the point that Shive was trying to make.

It's more the point of Ballard getting bashed for what he hasn't done more than what he has done.

With the history of a lot of forum members it seems no matter what is done they will always find fault.

I think it is understandable when a person doesn't agree with everything a GM does.   In fact, I would wonder about fans who blindly agree with anything a GM does.   We are fans and we like to share our own ideas.   We'll be proven right or wrong at a later date. 

Like I had said, I think Ballard has done a great job.   However, I would have liked to see him open the wallet a little more and sign a proven player or 2.   I'm really hoping that CJ Anderson is the person at this time.  

I can admit when I am wrong though.   I was totally supportive of the Trent Richardson trade.    He had almost 1000 yards rushing on a bad Browns team.   He was only a year or so removed from a great college career.   That gave the Colts the 1st and 3rd draft picks from 2012.     Boy was I wrong.  

No GM is going to hit 100%.   Ballard is no exception, but I don't think he will ever get down to the Grigson level.  

I also think that many fans are afraid of the Luck window closing.   He's a beat up QB who will be 29 when the season starts.  

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Can we give Ballard at least 3 seasons worth of Drafts before we judge and a healthy Luck. The man has been here 1 year without our franchise QB and some people think he stinks already. I mean really? Grigson was Great quickly but he should've been with Luck thrown at him lmao. After the Luck Draft he was awful.

That's fine, but I'm not going to treat him like he's a great GM until he's gone and won games.

I don't have a negative view of him either other then my objections to his overly conservative FA approach.  

I just fine your criticisms odd because you seem to be willing to go and defend his approach as though you have full confidence in him when any confidence in him has not yet been warranted.  

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Valpo.....

In the long run its going to be about the W's and L's.  

On the indivudal moves I think the trade with the Jets was a great trade with only the slight conscern that he could have potentially held out for more if he waited til draft day.  But I'm not going to beat him up too much over that as it's a complete unknown.

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

That's fine, but I'm not going to treat him like he's a great GM until he's gone and won games.

I don't have a negative view of him either other then my objections to his overly conservative FA approach.  

I just fine your criticisms odd because you seem to be willing to go and defend his approach as though you have full confidence in him when any confidence in him has not yet been warranted.  

I am defending him because he hasn't had a chance yet to show us his plan. After 3 years if we aren't winning than I will be in line to be critical of him. I think it's too early to doubt him is all I am saying. Even if we aren't .500 or better this season I will still cut him slack. In fairness he needs 3 years of Drafts to show what he's made of.