Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ex QB Jim Miller hits panic button

Wow! Listening to Mills and P.K. do mock draft #4 on Moving the Chains.  Miller has Ballard calling Gettleman, and trading our next year #1 and this year #37 to swap form 6 to 2 !!  Then he has Ballard select Baker Mayfield!

Miller was a QB with Bears and had multiple shoulder surgeries to make his shoulder separation good, but he blew out his hip just as surgery number 3 finally got his arm right, so his career was over.  Never got to use his new arm in a game again. He is not very hopeful it seems, and is even more adamant than me ( I want White Lauletta-if there, or Falk in round 3) to improve the QB situation.

Those with SiriusXM radio All Access can listen to it once it gets put up in the on demand area (probably tomorrow sometime.

Our fans do not realize how concerned everyone outside the circle city is, and don't trust Lucks's words and are miffed about the secrecy and lack of decent info.

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Wow! Listening to Mills and P.K. do mock draft #4 on Moving the Chains.  Miller has Ballard calling Gettleman, and trading our next year #1 and this year #37 to swap form 6 to 2 !!  Then he has Ballard select Baker Mayfield!

Miller was a QB with Bears and had multiple shoulder surgeries to make his shoulder separation good, but he blew out his hip just as surgery number 3 finally got his arm right, so his career was over.  Never got to use his new arm in a game again. He is not very hopeful it seems, and is even more adamant than me ( I want White Lauletta-if there, or Falk in round 3) to improve the QB situation.

Those with SiriusXM radio All Access can listen to it once it gets put up in the on demand area (probably tomorrow sometime.

Our fans do not realize how concerned everyone outside the circle city is, and don't trust Lucks's words and are miffed about the secrecy and lack of decent info.

Moving the Chains is my favorite show on NFL Radio.

Miller is a good host and sets up former Jets GM Pat Kirwin very well.   Kirwin is the STAR of the show.

That said....

Jim Miller, while a very nice man and a good host, is just not very smart.   He's a poor analyst.   Doesn't follow things close enough and comes up with nonsense like this.

Let me ask this...  after trading down and collecting a great haul,  he now thinks we're going to trade back up?   He thinks there's new information for Ballard to do a 180 and reverse course?

Dear God!

This guy has seen Kevin Costner's Draft Day way, WAY too many times.   That's not how the real world works.

Uuuuggh!     :facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Miller is a good host and sets up former Jets GM Pat Kirwin very well.   Kirwin is the STAR of the show.

That said....

Jim Miller, while a very nice man and a good host, is just not very smart.   He's a poor analyst.   Doesn't follow things close enough and comes up with nonsense like this.

Let me ask this...  after trading down and collecting a great haul,  he now thinks we're going to trade back up?   He thinks there's new information for Ballard to do a 180 and reverse course?

Dear God!

This guy has seen Kevin Costner's Draft Day way, WAY too many times.   That's not how the real world works.

I could not believe it myself, but Pat didn't chastise him about it either, surprisingly!  I'm comfortable with spending one draft choice in round 3 on a QB.  With each passing day without good news from Luck's camp, I get leery and don't want Kaaya as my QB if Brissett gets hurt.

I wonder what plays from the playbook Reich Sirriani installs soon, since AL, JB, and BK are all different types of QB's?

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

So we trade down from 3 to 6 only to trade up to 2. Right Jim....right! Sheer genius that Jim Miller.

I think that means he finally believes Luck will suffer the same fate as him, won't be able to go this year and will need more surgery/rehab on the shoulder before he can play again.  That's has to be his motivation. No other excuse.

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

I think that means he finally believes Luck will suffer the same fate as him, won't be able to go this year and will need more surgery/rehab on the shoulder before he can play again.  That's has to be his motivation. No other excuse.

Of course it does, he thinks since he got a raw deal in life, it has to happen to somebody else in order for him to feel some sort of validation. If the Colts were planning on taking a QB, they would have stuck at 3 and just taken one.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Sounds like Miller took too many shots to the head over the years...

Isn't Brissett controllable through end of this year? Why would we not just wait a year and draft a qb next year if stuff didn't work out? Brissett IMO would be better than any rookie qb this year. Long term yes I would have to go get another qb but for this year there is no rush to give up on Luck/Brissett. Perhaps next year when Brissett is a free agent I might take a qb in rd 2 or something and develop a good back up for Luck (I think this is a must...he isn't Peyton...he isn't going to play 15 straight years without coming out) so we will need a good one down the road...but nothing tells me we should give up on Jacoby this year if we have to roll with him. On top of we had the 3rd pick....why would we move back if we wanted a qb?

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That said....

Dear God!

I seriously doubt Ballard trades back had he not think Luck was coming back. Unless the intention is to stick with Brisset. 

Then comes back to Luck. The guy is extremely smart, a fricken engineer. If he knew he wasn't able to come back he would have already left the sport and move on instead of handcuffing the Colts. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Isn't Brissett controllable through end of this year? Why would we not just wait a year and draft a qb next year if stuff didn't work out? Brissett IMO would be better than any rookie qb this year. Long term yes I would have to go get another qb but for this year there is no rush to give up on Luck/Brissett. Perhaps next year when Brissett is a free agent I might take a qb in rd 2 or something and develop a good back up for Luck (I think this is a must...he isn't Peyton...he isn't going to play 15 straight years without coming out) so we will need a good one down the road...but nothing tells me we should give up on Jacoby this year if we have to roll with him. On top of we had the 3rd pick....why would we move back if we wanted a qb?

Brissett is controllable thru next year.

2019!

So next year he's either Luck's backup or he's trade bait.

Win-win for the Colts.

• Thanks 1

They have done several mocks on MTC.... I think at this point they are just doing crazy things to drive conversation. Didn't PK do something crazy (not as crazy as this, but...) with the Giants in a past mock? 

I think at this point they are running out of ways to make the mock drafts different/interesting. 

36 minutes ago, esmort said:

They have done several mocks on MTC.... I think at this point they are just doing crazy things to drive conversation. Didn't PK do something crazy (not as crazy as this, but...) with the Giants in a past mock? 

I think at this point they are running out of ways to make the mock drafts different/interesting. 

Yeah....    they're doing mocks every Friday.

A few weeks ago Kirwin had the Giants trade down from 2 to 9...   then trade back up with the Colts at 6.

Not crazy...   but not likely either.   They're trying to make each mock completely different from the other.   Sometimes they work a little too hard to do that.

• Like 1

Jim Miller made that pick just for fun, to change things up in the mock.  He was basically joking and it was obvious.  I can’t believe all the people taking it seriously. <roll eyes>

Wait for their final mock the day before the draft for their dead serious mock.

2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Jim Miller made that pick just for fun, to change things up in the mock.  He was basically joking and it was obvious.  I can’t believe all the people taking it seriously. <roll eyes>

Because we obviously didn't listen to it so we have no way of knowing that

46 minutes ago, TheMose said:

Because we obviously didn't listen to it so we have no way of knowing that

I did listen to it and it was completely and indisputably tongue in cheek, playing to all the people panicked because Luck hasn’t yet been throwing footballs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I could not believe it myself, but Pat didn't chastise him about it either, surprisingly!  I'm comfortable with spending one draft choice in round 3 on a QB.  With each passing day without good news from Luck's camp, I get leery and don't want Kaaya as my QB if Brissett gets hurt.

I wonder what plays from the playbook Reich Sirriani installs soon, since AL, JB, and BK are all different types of QB's?

How about, instead of worrying about our third string quarterback, we build up the rest of the team.  That way, no matter who is starting, they won’t be forced to carry the team.  Don’t waste picks on luxuries that will spend the season on the bench when we can improve the players we send out on the field.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Superman said:

To put it mildly, this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life. 

2 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Get this, later in the show, an NFL scout (current!) called in to the show and gave kudos to Jim Miller for his choice!! If they are doing this as a joke, they went a long way out of the way to get it done. PK later in the show called it a 'controversial' pick, too.

I wonder how many people around the country took it as a joke? I doubt many.  and not a single caller from Indy or an Indy fan to confront him on the pick either.  (I was floating in my swimming pool, phoe not close)

18 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Get this, later in the show, an NFL scout (current!) called in to the show and gave kudos to Jim Miller for his choice!! If they are doing this as a joke, they went a long way out of the way to get it done. PK later in the show called it a 'controversial' pick, too.

I wonder how many people around the country took it as a joke? I doubt many.  and not a single caller from Indy or an Indy fan to confront him on the pick either.  (I was floating in my swimming pool, phoe not close)

IF the Colts needed a QB, the NFL scout & Jim Miller might be right, it would be a good move.  However, it plays completely contrary to EVERYTHING the Colts and Luck have been saying. 

By saying as a “joke” I mean, tongue in cheek, Jim Miller assumed a worst case scenario (that Luck cannot play in 2018 nor likely beyond), so then given that assumption, the trade back up was the chosen path, to get a replacement QB in Baker Mayfield.   It was PURELY an if “A”, then “B” play on things.  

19 hours ago, rockywoj said:

IF the Colts needed a QB, the NFL scout & Jim Miller might be right, it would be a good move.  However, it plays completely contrary to EVERYTHING the Colts and Luck have been saying. 

Yes, but we all heard that last year too.  Nobody buys it, the want action, not words.

By saying as a “joke” I mean, tongue in cheek, Jim Miller assumed a worst case scenario (that Luck cannot play in 2018 nor likely beyond), so then given that assumption, the trade back up was the chosen path, to get a replacement QB in Baker Mayfield.   It was PURELY an if “A”, then “B” play on things.  

One thing we know, and it was the case last year, and will be at least as much this year.  Once Luck begins to throw 'real Duke's' in rehab, it will at least 3 months before we know if he will be ok, or suffers another setback.  He even mention he 'hopes' to get to training camp with no governor (restrictions I assume)

Then he won't tell anyone when he will throw-

“There is a timetable, but I’m not going to share it with you guys."

So it will be hard to tell when the 3 month period is up as well.  Then he makes a statement like my kids did when they were trying to get my to buy into their story... using the very, very term in front of the bill of goods being offered up, LOL

“Again, I’m very, very confident and very, very optimistic that I’m going to be absolutely fine and come back better than I was,”

But doesn't commit to 'when'.  We all want him to be ready, we all hope he is ready.  But none of us knows if he will truly be ready, until the time comes. And that for certain is not predictable right now.

This is why everybody else but the majority of the Colts fan base is worried.

Moving the Chain is my favorite football talk show. period. Radio or TV. That said, the idea makes zero sense. Why would we do the trading back only to move back up? You can tell Jim just kind of had an idea that he wanted to stir the pot by having the Colts take a QB early. Both are known for having a bit of fun in their mock drafts, especially Jim, but this is a bit much. haha. Kinda throws off the whole draft when you throw out a homer so early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

p500_28942.jpg

I really don't see this happening and even if we don't have Luck I see no need to hit the panic button. I was impressed with Jacoby last year considering the limited time he had last year to learn the system and the poor offensive play calling we had. I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I think JB could be a very good NFL starting QB. With a full offseason and improved play calling I think we would be just fine. Of course I would prefer healthy Andrew Luck, but I think we have a good alternative if AL isn't ready to go.

On 4/13/2018 at 3:36 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

I saw his mock and I think it made me dumber from looking at just the first two picks.... I didn’t even make it last 2...

14 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I saw his mock and I think it made me dumber from looking at just the first two picks.... I didn’t even make it last 2...

In the last (there have been more than 1 form these two recently) mock, Mills and PK alternated picks, unless picks were traded... which there was.

Stll... Mills ... whats up with Colts getting a QB after having already traded down?  Not a single Colt fan understands.  Of course we guess it is a combo of creating a stir on the air, and also that maybe he really believes Luck will suffer the fate he did with his shoulder surgeries.  Who knows for sure.