Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

College Football 2018-19 Thread

Just now, NFLfan said:

So, who will coach Louisville? Any candidates? 

How about P.J. Fleck who coaches the Golden Gophers of Minnesota. I believe he beat Purdue, Wisconsin, and Indiana this year. He has turned around a program just as Brohm did. 

One name I heard was Neal Brown but he has strong UK ties

Barry Odom is another

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't know Neal Brown but I have heard of Odom.

How would you and @RockThatBlue feel about your head coach moving to Louisville? 

Stoops would not go the L and Tyra would not want him(too much bad blood)

Brown is a Boyle County HS(Danville, Ky) grad then played at UK and UMass then was an Assistant at UMass, Troy, Texas Tech and Kentucky

He is the HC at Troy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Stoops would not go the L and Tyra would not want him(too much bad blood)

Brown is a Boyle County HS(Danville, Ky) grad then played at UK and UMass then was an Assistant at UMass, Troy, Texas Tech and Kentucky

He is the HC at Troy

Ah. Okay. I did read about him. Why is he being tied to Louisville? Does he have any connections to Louisville? 

I know almost nothing about Louisvile sports. Why is there bad blood between Tyra and Stoops?

51 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Ah. Okay. I did read about him. Why is he being tied to Louisville? Does he have any connections to Louisville? 

I know almost nothing about Louisvile sports. Why is there bad blood between Tyra and Stoops?

1. Brown is a rising HC star and and O guru

2. The “bad blood” is from the fan bases

11 hours ago, HOZER said:

lol, never heard that one before!!! Hey did you get tickets to the Bowl game yet??? Oh.....that’s right, Purdue denied you once again.........sorry about that, ok Not really!:catfight:

I know, I know, worthless bowl, but still a bowl!!!:thanks:

I'll concede here. School to school smack talk isn't really my thing. I'm more of a realist than a delusional homer fan, but Purdue fans get to talk smack after back to back bucket wins and bowl appearances. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I'll concede here. School to school smack talk isn't really my thing. I'm more of a realist than a delusional homer fan, but Purdue fans get to talk smack after back to back bucket wins and bowl appearances. 

Just some friendly smack talk my friend nothing more....I can assure you I’ve taken my share from both my IU grad sister and my late father in law, as well as countless IU fans! We’re all guilty of being delusional homer fans from time to time. Can’t wait until Jan 19th when men’s basketball plays, first time local product Phinesee plays against the team he should have picked!!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HOZER said:

We’re all guilty of being delusional homer fans from time to time. 

Speak for yourself. :P

(I know, I have nothing to brag about. The last time any one of my teams won a championship was before many of you were born -- 1986)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Here is a kicker to the Brohm Story

Trinity HS in Louisville(Brohm’s Alma Mater) will be closed Thursday after a threat(s) was called in following his decision 

Ridiculous but hilarious at the same time. UL fans are some of the most delusional fans in the country. Watching them in a meltdown has my week made.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Speak for yourself. :P

(I know, I have nothing to brag about. The last time any one of my teams won a championship was before many of you were born -- 1986)

What team was that?

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Ridiculous but hilarious at the same time. UL fans are some of the most delusional fans in the country. Watching them in a meltdown has my week made.

What team was that?

The NY Mets. The Vikings and Stanford football have never won a championship. The Vikings have lost 4 Super Bowls. Stanford has won the Rose Bowl but not a national championship. Stanford once beat Nick Saban 38-0 in a Bowl game when Saban was the head coach of Michigan State. He was a hot coach even then. Everyone expected MSU to win. Back in those days Stanford barely made it to bowl games. The score was shocking.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Sometimes I find it so hard to convince myself sports are not rigged the way this crap plays out sometimes.

It was crazy how Hurts came in to win the game at the end the same way Tua came in to win the championship last year.

You can't write this kinda stuff.

At least there won't be two SEC teams in the playoffs again this year.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It was crazy how Hurts came in to win the game at the end the same way Tua came in to win the championship last year.

You can't write this kinda stuff.

At least there won't be two SEC teams in the playoffs again this year.

Just gonna hope ND wins I'm a Michigan state fan but I will be cheering for anyone not named Alabama 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

2nd best coach in CFB. Bet he does come back to coaching one day though soon (whenever the ND job is open)

My thoughts exactly. I recall that Meyer was almost hired to replace Williamham. He reportedly requested that the academic admission standards for players be eased so that he can recruit more athletic players. He was rebuffed and he apparently decided not to take the job. Now that he sees that ND can still recruit top players, I think he will coach ND whenever the job becomes open. He would be a popular choice. He was an assistant coach on one of ND's previous coaching staffs. (I forgot the head coach's name. He replaced Lou Holtz, I believe.)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

2nd best coach in CFB. Bet he does come back to coaching one day though soon (whenever the ND job is open)

I agree, he was the 2nd best coach in CFB, it's probably between Dabo Sweeny and Kirby Smart now.  Kirk Herbstreit seems to think that he won't take the ND job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I agree, he was the 2nd best coach in CFB, it's probably between Dabo Sweeny and Kirby Smart now.  Kirk Herbstreit seems to think that he won't take the ND job.

Herbie did seem pretty sure that Urb wouldn't return to coaching but I have my doubts since he is only 54. Maybe two years off and we'll seem him on the sidelines again.

1 hour ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Herbie did seem pretty sure that Urb wouldn't return to coaching but I have my doubts since he is only 54. Maybe two years off and we'll seem him on the sidelines again.

No one thought he'd return to coaching after leaving Florida either.  I have my own thoughts on this.  I think he was asked to retire from OSU.  No proof of course, jmo.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:43 AM, HOZER said:

Just some friendly smack talk my friend nothing more....I can assure you I’ve taken my share from both my IU grad sister and my late father in law, as well as countless IU fans! We’re all guilty of being delusional homer fans from time to time. Can’t wait until Jan 19th when men’s basketball plays, first time local product Phinesee plays against the team he should have picked!!!

He played well last night. Not sure the Eastern plan is working out for Purdue. They definitely could use Robert at the point. He is going to be a very very nice player for us for the next 4 years. That should be a good hard fought game as per usual. B1G is going to be a tough conference this year. Lots of good teams that can beat anyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gramz said:

No one thought he'd return to coaching after leaving Florida either.  I have my own thoughts on this.  I think he was asked to retire from OSU.  No proof of course, jmo.

My prediction....give it two or 3 years and if Chip Kelly leaves ND.....they come calling.

18 hours ago, dgambill said:

He played well last night. Not sure the Eastern plan is working out for Purdue. They definitely could use Robert at the point. He is going to be a very very nice player for us for the next 4 years. That should be a good hard fought game as per usual. B1G is going to be a tough conference this year. Lots of good teams that can beat anyone.

Looks like IU really hit big with Phinisee. And I agree the B1G is going to be as tough as ever this season. There really are no pushovers anymore. Even the traditional bottom feeders of the conference are very solid now.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, Matthew Gilbert said:

Looks like IU really hit big with Phinisee. And I agree the B1G is going to be as tough as ever this season. There really are no pushovers anymore. Even the traditional bottom feeders of the conference are very solid now.

Indeed....you have to win your home games and steal some road win where you can. On any given night anyone can be beat. I mean Michigan just waxed Purdue and then Northwestern just about pulled the upset. B1G winner will probably have 4 conference losses I would guess minimum. I think we get 8 into the tournament this year. (Mich, MSU, Wis, OSU, IU, PU, Maryland, and one of Neb/Iowa/NW)

14 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Congrats to Josh Allen winning almost every defensive award there is. Best UK defender since Art Still for sure. He also said he will play in UKs bowl game. Awesome stuff. Hard to believe he was only a 2 star with one other offer from Monmouth.

That's great. I hope he enjoys much success in the NFL.

When I think of college football, I don't think of 4-5 star players coming from my area -- New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut area. But so many do come from here. Allen was in high school in Montclair, NJ where my sister and her family used to live. (That is the city where the MN Vikings owners are from.) 

Here is an article on Allen.

Monmouth Coach Remembers Josh Allen, the One Who Got Away

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

That's great. I hope he enjoys much success in the NFL.

When I think of college football, I don't think of 4-5 star players coming from my area -- New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut area. But so many do come from here. Allen was in high school in Montclair, NJ where my sister and her family used to live. (That is the city where the MN Vikings owners are from.) 

Here is an article on Allen.

Monmouth Coach Remembers Josh Allen, the One Who Got Away

Awesome stuff. Thanks for that. Kid is about to become a millionaire.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Congrats to Josh Allen winning almost every defensive award there is. Best UK defender since Art Still for sure. He also said he will play in UKs bowl game. Awesome stuff. Hard to believe he was only a 2 star with one other offer from Monmouth.

Allen also had offers from Alabama A&M, Buffalo, Hawaii, and Kansas ( Not exactly football powerhouses). Rutgers also wanted him but I think they only offered a "preferred walk-on" chance. Allen also put on 50 lbs. while at UK, which certainly doesn't happen a lot but every strength and conditioning coach is faced with that task with certain players. Nonetheless, hats off to Allen on a great season and great career at UK. He'll likely be a top 10 pick and I like his chances at having a successful NFL career.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Allen also had offers from Alabama A&M, Buffalo, Hawaii, and Kansas ( Not exactly football powerhouses). Rutgers also wanted him but I think they only offered a "preferred walk-on" chance. Allen also put on 50 lbs. while at UK, which certainly doesn't happen a lot but every strength and conditioning coach is faced with that task with certain players. Nonetheless, hats off to Allen on a great season and great career at UK. He'll likely be a top 10 pick and I like his chances at having a successful NFL career.

I was hoping the Colts could've had a shot at drafting him before that 5 game winning streak lol. Lord knows we could use a pass rusher (though I think Turay could end up decent)