Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Walker Jr.

TKnight24

I had high hopes for Walker when he was drafted. But I was not overly impressed with Walker during preseason.

He didn't get many opportunities to play defense during the regular season (maybe blame Pagano)?

And as I remember, he played a bit more during the end of last years disappointing regular season.

Still I did not see enough to believe Walker will take the starting spot.

I really hope he comes out flying this year, and as someone has said above... "clean slate"

To me the MLB position has been for many years... (since perhaps Mike Curtis?)... the single most area this team has lacked quality at.

Every year I hope we find a new player to fill the void, yet the Colts never do.

Now in 2018, I would like to see us finally draft a dominating MLB.

Most here don't think Roquan Smith is a fit for the middle position, I however do.

Leighton Vanderesch from Boise State, Rashaan Evens Alabama round out the top of an excellent group...

also, Josey Jewell, the MLB from Iowa, looks like a very good prospect and is a pure MLB.

although not a prototypical middle lb...  Wisconsin's Jack Cichy's tape is undeniably outstanding.

https://www.landof10.com/wisconsin/2018-nfl-draft-wisconsin-football-jack-cichy-scout

I think Walker should, and will,  be given every opportunity to earn the starting spot.

And personaly, I feel John Simon should be tried at MLB during camp, where he may flourish.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Seeing this made me think again. I think Walker could very well be starting next season barring injury. What do you guys think? He’s 22 right now, will be 23 on August 8th. Was really good at Northwestern 

:colts:

Was solid to finish last season too. Lots of room for improvement I actually think he fits this defense a lot better than the 3-4.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Seeing this made me think again. I think Walker could very well be starting next season barring injury. What do you guys think? He’s 22 right now, will be 23 on August 8th. Was really good at Northwestern 

:colts:

I'm high on Walker being a starting LB for us. I think this defense will benefit him. That said we are all suckers for workout pics lol.....oh look....dang the guy is working hard and going to knock it out this year. lol I mean he could have just taken a picture drinking a beer and sitting in a lawn chair and we would have been up in arms. Funny how the framing of the optics matters so much lol.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I'm high on Walker being a starting LB for us. I think this defense will benefit him. That said we are all suckers for workout pics lol.....oh look....dang the guy is working hard and going to knock it out this year. lol I mean he could have just taken a picture drinking a beer and sitting in a lawn chair and we would have been up in arms. Funny how the framing of the optics matters so much lol.

If he’s drinking a beer in the off-season I’m cool with that

If he drunk said beer then proceeded to drive then that’s when I have an issue. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Obviously if he was drinking he shouldn't be driving. I just meant we see guy working out and we go...yeah!! he's improving! as opposed to guy relaxing but saying the same thing and we go....well we better see it on the field! That's all I meant....we are so suckers for workout pics lol...guy must be working hard. Even myself...I get caught up in it too lol.

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

If he was smoking cigarettes at any time during the year, I'd have a problem with that.

5 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I had high hopes for Walker when he was drafted. But I was not overly impressed with Walker during preseason.

He didn't get many opportunities to play defense during the regular season (maybe blame Pagano)?

And as I remember, he played a bit more during the end of last years disappointing regular season.

Still I did not see enough to believe Walker will take the starting spot.

I really hope he comes out flying this year, and as someone has said above... "clean slate"

To me the MLB position has been for many years... (since perhaps Mike Curtis?)... the single most area this team has lacked quality at.

Every year I hope we find a new player to fill the void, yet the Colts never do.

Now in 2018, I would like to see us finally draft a dominating MLB.

Most here don't think Roquan Smith is a fit for the middle position, I however do.

Leighton Vanderesch from Boise State, Rashaan Evens Alabama round out the top of an excellent group...

also, Josey Jewell, the MLB from Iowa, looks like a very good prospect and is a pure MLB.

although not a prototypical middle lb...  Wisconsin's Jack Cichy's tape is undeniably outstanding.

https://www.landof10.com/wisconsin/2018-nfl-draft-wisconsin-football-jack-cichy-scout

I think Walker should, and will,  be given every opportunity to earn the starting spot.

And personaly, I feel John Simon should be tried at MLB during camp, where he may flourish.

Good post. I like some of those prospects you've mentioned. I really like Josey Jewell but I'm a sucker for Iowa players. To the bolded: Sure we do. It's just that they never pan out so we have to find another the following year.

I saw flashes out of him last year, mostly on special teams. Do I think he can be the Mike in the base defense, yes but probably not the long term one. Let's say for S's and G's we draft Roquan Smith in the 1st and Malik Jefferson in the 2nd/3rd. Smith is your WILL, Walker the MIKE, and Jefferson the SAM. I think that's a LB corps you can get by with until you can land a stud MIKE.

8 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Appreciate the Badger recognition/profile 59C. Thank you. Indy tends to go after Midwestern prospects a lot.  

17 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If Walker is our starting mlb then that means our offseason didn't go so well.

Which actually so far it hasn't lol.

But we still have the upcoming draft.

True, unless he made a real jump.  George played better, but he has more experience.

i wouldn’t say our offseason hasn’t gone well, it’s just not noteworthy.  Those little pieces may be the building blocks we need.  Time will tell.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I can definitely see Walker transitioning to SAM in a 4-3 Zone coverage type D.  I don't think he has the drop coverage ability to play MIKE or WILL but he can fill that gap on the strong and cover the flats.

I'm not sure he can't be a MIKE as well as a SAM. We'll see I guess. Either way though, this has been a good thread to discuss a player whom I believe has been overlooked by many as we discuss the Colts' future starting LBs. I think he'll surprise people with his jump in performance this year. I can see Walker, Simon, and hopefully one of our prized rookies being the starting 3. 

Despite his limited usage last year, I believe he will be a productive starter in this 4-3 Cover 3/2 hybrid defense. His tape at NW screams sideline to sideline speed plus coverage ability....

He unnecessarily bulked up for his senior year and the NFL.....if he's spent the off-season properly adjusting his playing weight he'll be a year two breakout candidate!

On 4/12/2018 at 11:08 AM, 1959Colts said:

hes mostly played defensive end and rush linebacker in college and the pros

i dont think hes played off the ball at all and hes going to be 28 next season 

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

hes mostly played defensive end and rush linebacker in college and the pros

i dont think hes played off the ball at all and hes going to be 28 next season 

Not only at DE, but I think Simon was listed as a DT while at Ohio State.

I realize its a bit of a reach, but I think if we fail to acquire a better option, trying him at MLB could be worth a try?

I'm not the only one who sees this possibility...

Here is an older post from a ravens blog:

Should the Ravens consider moving John Simon to middle linebacker?

With plenty of depth at outside linebacker, John Harbaugh may want to move the 2nd year linebacker inside

...Harbaugh was complimentary of Simon's pass rushing "knack" and even applauded him for dropping into coverage, which was something he didn't do while in college Ohio State...

...Just as I did a year ago, I still believe Simon should get a shot at middle linebacker. In the nicest way possible, Simon should be considered a meathead. He's extremely intimidating and if his NFL career doesn't work out for him, he'd be a great character in professional wrestling. Standing at 6-2 with 260 pounds of muscle, he could be the physical presence in the middle of the field that the Ravens lacked last season...

...It's at least worth a shot.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2014/4/17/5622022/should-the-ravens-consider-moving-john-simon-to-middle-linebacker

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, coltsfansince65 said:

Good post. I like some of those prospects you've mentioned. I really like Josey Jewell but I'm a sucker for Iowa players. To the bolded: Sure we do. It's just that they never pan out so we have to find another the following year.

I've gained a greater appreciation for Jewell the more clips I've watch. Very smart and instictive football player. And he's fundamentally sound at what he does. Would have no problem adding him to the mix.

• Like 1

People are going to disagree with me but i actually think hes a better player than Vander Esch. Vander Esch is on the ground a lot and gets driven out of plays as a result of taking on blocks with his shoulders instead of using his hands and squaring up. A lot of Vander Esch value is coming from athletic traits such as his height and speed. I dont think Jewell should be drafted in the second round, but i am saying he may be a better ball player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

People are going to disagree with me but i actually think hes a better player than Vander Esch. Vander Esch is on the ground a lot and gets driven out of plays as a result of taking on blocks with his shoulders instead of using his hands and squaring up. A lot of Vander Esch value is coming from athletic traits such as his height and speed. I dont think Jewell should be drafted in the second round, but i am saying he may be a better ball player.

I think people fall in love with LVE's size and upside, which is why hes being projected so high. Jewell is definitely a better football player than LVE and way underrated in coverage. He's not Smith or Edmunds, but he's solid..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shive said:

I think people fall in love with LVE's size and upside, which is why hes being projected so high. Jewell is definitely a better football player than LVE and way underrated in coverage. He's not Smith or Edmunds, but he's solid..

I think he's got Roquan like instincts but on a lesser athlete.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, krunk said:

An astute observation. I do not disagree.

9 hours ago, krunk said:

Krunk usually usually agree with you, but not on this one.

I like Walker he's got a shot depends on who's drafted by the Colts! I like his upside and leadership potential. MAYBE another Gary Brackett? Last year got to camp late becuase of school, when he did play late in the season he wasn't  stellar but improved every week he played. He's smart doesn't make the same mistakes over and over again like Morrison.

8 hours ago, krunk said:

Seems Jewell improved his 40 time from the combine at his pro day. Got the time down to 4.68 according to reports. I can see more of the Sean Lee projections some gave him

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/football/2018/03/26/josey-jewell-iowa-hawkeyes-pro-day-nfl-draft/460213002/

That’s actually big considering his combine time was in the 4.8 range. Plus Walker ran a 4.64. He might go back on the draft board. 

Walker might be a starter at Sam though.