Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign CB Acker

Case

What's the problem?  If he sucks, then he won't be on the team.  Simple as that.

If he makes the team, consider that a)  it means he's one of the best 5 cornerbacks on the roster and b)  the professionals evaluating him who, each one of them, are more knowledgable than any 20 people combined on this message board are and who's livelihoods depend on making educated evaluations, have determined he's good enough to warrant a roster spot.

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

if he doesnt perform, ballard can cut him

Again; cheap and depth.... still no play makers or difference makers on either side of the ball.  Not much left out there now and certainly can't get many, if any, immediate ones in the draft.  Not sure what good a big amount of cap space will do the Colts.  Don't care if it is only April, not like these type of players are suddenly coming available in the summer.....  may take 2 or 3 drafts at best... meanwhile Colts stock pile cheap, depth players to fill the roster and sit on 2nd most cap space....

At least my season tickets aren't going to increase.....

• Like 1

So in his 3 years as a starter, his last two in college and redshirt freshman year in the NFL he averaged 50 tackles, 8 pbu and 3 ints.....but everyone is poo pooing on him because he was a depth piece in KC when playing behind established corners on an established defense of a solid playoff team versus the 49ers....?

I'd say those three years were rather productive and perhaps he's due for a Nick Harper or Rashaan Melvin breakout.....?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

So in his 3 years as a starter, his last two in college and redshirt freshman year in the NFL he averaged 50 tackles, 8 pbu and 3 ints.....but everyone is poo pooing on him because he was a depth piece in KC when playing behind established corners on an established defense of a solid playoff team versus the 49ers....?

I'd say those three years were rather productive and perhaps he's due for a Nick Harper or Rashaan Melvin breakout.....?

Your optimism is getting annoying on here(j/k):D...everyone that isn't signed in the first couple of days in Free Agency is a "Camp Body"...please get with the programhaha

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Your optimism is getting annoying on here(j/k):D...everyone that isn't signed in the first couple of days in Free Agency is a "Camp Body"...please get with the programhaha

Dammit...well I guess I'll tone it down....lol

Having said that, I've seen so many players "find it" or "lose it" going to a new team depending on the coaching staff, teammates, scheme, city, etc., etc.....

I don't view anyone as a camp body!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TouchdownMonkey said:

Ballard isn't going to spend a dime until he is certain of Lucks future just my 2cents. Be ready for another year of mediocrity. I really think he should have at least got one quality veteran lineman though, I'm done with Irsay if Luck gets hurt do to our Oline play. Maybe no lineman wanted to come here.

Luck's future has nothing to do with Ballard spending money.

How many times do you have to read Ballard said the Colts are not about one player?  That includes Luck.

Ballard said from day one he was going to build this team through the draft. What about that is hard to understand?

Ballard has done exactly what he said he was going to do and he hasn't done something he said he wasn't going to do.

17 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Slausen was a immediate upgrade over anyone we already had not named Castonzo, Kelly or Mewhort, so I’m not too sure what you’re on about there. Another decent oline pick in the draft and I feel like we’ve vastly improved over anything Luck has fully had at any point so far. Also, I’m fairly certain Ballard and Luck are both sure of Luck’s future, otherwise we wouldn’t have traded down and picked up more 2nd round picks, nor would we be discussing trading down again. 

Yeah but he is a back up player, pretty much on any roster. I understand we need depth. But we need some real talent up front. I hope your right about Lucks, I just don't see it that way yet. If they know Luck is fully ready, then Ballard dropped the ball getting a couple quality free agents. If luck is ready and the promising young talent we have on Defense (Hooker, Wilson, why we let melvin walk i dont understand)we could be competive again with a few veteran aquisitions. When you lose Hankins the 5th best DT against run last year your best acuired free agent is Ebron you dropping the ball in my opinion. All we are doing is signing garbage players no one else wants and calling it competition, and losing half of the few talented players we need. They say Hankins doesn't fit scheme but I don't buy it, he wanted out. What's that say about the what we're building

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TouchdownMonkey said:

Yeah but he is a back up player, pretty much on any roster. I understand we need depth. But we need some real talent up front. I hope your right about Lucks, I just don't see it that way yet. If they know Luck is fully ready, then Ballard dropped the ball getting a couple quality free agents. If luck is ready and the promising young talent we have on Defense (Hooker, Wilson, why we let melvin walk i dont understand)we could be competive again with a few veteran aquisitions. When you lose Hankins the 5th best DT against run last year your best acuired free agent is Ebron you dropping the ball in my opinion. All we are doing is signing garbage players no one else wants and calling it competition, and losing half of the few talented players we need. They say Hankins doesn't fit scheme but I don't buy it, he wanted out. What's that say about the what we're building

If we wanted to keep Hankins, but he wanted out, we would have just said too bad... you're under contract so you're playing for us.

You don't cut someone just because they might've thrown a hussy fit. The real question is why didn't we trade Hankins....? Surely we could've at least gotten a 5th or 6th for him... at the very least. It doesn't pass the smell test to me because he still hasn't been signed. There's something more to that story than we all know...

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

How many times do you have to read Ballard said the Colts are not about one player?  That includes Luck.

Ballard said from day one he was going to build this team through the draft. What about that is hard to understand?

Ballard has done exactly what he said he was going to do and he hasn't done something he said he wasn't going to do.

Wow you seem unreasonably upset about his opinion. Couple questions for you since youre obviously in Ballards head....

1. What are the salary cap ramifications if Luck cannot play and has to be released this year or next? (I get that's speculation but you're confident enough in Ballards thinking to chastise a forum member then you should know his thoughts here too)

2. Ballard is "building though the draft" but has made offers to high end free agents that didn't agree to the Colts terms and didn't sign here. Correct? And he signed some big name players - Eric Ebron being one. correct?  <---seems like more than just building through the draft but you're Ballard and were not.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Wow you seem unreasonably upset about his opinion. Couple questions for you since youre obviously in Ballards head....

1. What are the salary cap ramifications if Luck cannot play and has to be released this year or next? (I get that's speculation but you're confident enough in Ballards thinking to chastise a forum member then you should know his thoughts here too)

2. Ballard is "building though the draft" but has made offers to high end free agents that didn't agree to the Colts terms and didn't sign here. Correct? And he signed some big name players - Eric Ebron being one. correct?  <---seems like more than just building through the draft but you're Ballard and were not.

1- If Luck cant play then insurance will pay his contract

2-Don't believe everything you hear.

I am not upset about anything at all. Just because I listen and so far what Ballard has said holds true. Now if you want to use Ebron as an example feel free because he is not an expensive sign for his background.

Because I use a straight forward style of saying what I have to say, don't take it personal. So your half attempt to insult me with your comment about me being Ballard means zero.

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

1- If Luck cant play then insurance will pay his contract

2-Don't believe everything you hear.

I am not upset about anything at all. Just because I listen and so far what Ballard has said holds true. Now if you want to use Ebron as an example feel free because he is not an expensive sign for his background.

Because I use a straight forward style of saying what I have to say, don't take it personal. So your half attempt to insult me with your comment about me being Ballard means zero.

You're saying there are no salary cap implications if Luck is released in the next year or two because insurance will shield the cap from that? 

36 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

You're saying there are no salary cap implications if Luck is released in the next year or two because insurance will shield the cap from that? 

It all depends on if the contract is guaranteed against injury. If not the player get 50% of the amount guaranteed in the contract. If the contract is settled by an injury it's off the books.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:08 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

Living in KC I've seen quite a few chiefs games the past few years and he gets picked on quite a bit. He plays soft and pensive, does not have good awareness, doesn't make many plays when the ball is in the air.

I'm not sure why Ballard signed him.

Sorry to hear that but not surprised honestly as most of our free agent additions have been underwhelming this off-season. Just add another to the list of depth signings. Colts will live and die by how well Ballard drafts. 

On 12/04/2018 at 9:27 AM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

The vast majority of guys signed in the first couple of days of FA were 'Camp Bodies' also--some with mind blowing salaries

On April 11, 2018 at 6:27 PM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

1 hour ago, crestmount said:

The vast majority of guys signed in the first couple of days of FA were 'Camp Bodies' also--some with mind blowing salaries

Crestmount, 

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you know that RR7 was simply being sarcastic for comedic effect right? He was just breaking the ice with Scott Pennock as a new poster & making him feel welcome.

I'm not disputing your point CMT. Just saying that humor is just humor that's all. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2018 at 2:46 AM, crazycolt1 said:

It is understandably hard for fans to accept that the Colts will not be contenders for 3 more years.  I think most fans prefer to have their teams built through the draft.  When you are as thin as the Colts are, and with so many holes to fill, it is a long process to build through the draft.  

• Like 1

On 4/11/2018 at 7:18 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

I think depth is important, but Acker does not seem, to me, to be quality depth which I think is more important than cheap depth.

On paper, he has more starts and overall better stats than Desir, so I like the signing at first glance. Scheme fit should also be factored in, as he might be much better in a zone defense than playing press man coverage.

On 4/12/2018 at 12:46 AM, crazycolt1 said:

This 1000 times. People either thought Ballard was lying when he said he was going to be picky in free agency, or they just completely ignored him altogether. Either way, he's been very transparent as to what his approach was going to be, so anyone who's complaining just hasn't been paying attention.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Crestmount, 

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you know that RR7 was simply being sarcastic for comedic effect right? He was just breaking the ice with Scott Pennock as a new poster & making him feel welcome.

I'm not disputing your point CMT. Just saying that humor is just humor that's all. 

Thanks man, anyone who didn't get the sarcasm is too stupid to even converse with...lmao!

5 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Is sarcasm is new to you?

I loved your original line: :Please get with program." Translation: Must I do all the heavy lifting around here?

You're the best @TheRustonRifle#7! :lol:

It reminds of that Monty Python scene in The Meaning Of Life when John Cleese as the human sexuality instructor says "Will you kindly wake up. This is for your benefit not mine. I really don't want to have to start all over again." LOL! 

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I loved your original line: :Please get with program." Translation: Must I do all the heavy lifting around here?

You're the best @TheRustonRifle#7! :lol:

It reminds of that Monty Python scene in The Meaning Of Life when John Cleese as the human sexuality instructor says "Will you kindly wake up. This is for your benefit not mine. I really don't want to have to start all over again." LOL! 

You know how much I appreciate you man!  I really wasn't even angry at the blatant failure of the obvious, but had to point it out....you owe me a PM, Brother!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Thanks man, anyone who didn't get the sarcasm is too stupid to even converse with...lmao!

I read ya man. Crestmount is a good guy & we all have brain lapses every now & then, but I was like dude it was satire man. You even said JK & did laugh symbols. 

I don't know. I'll be nice, but really? I know I don't wanna alienate anybody. My biggest strength & liability is I can't mask my true emotions. I can't hide anything visually. CMT is alright. But yeah, what happened last night with that response was eyebrow raising bro. Absolutely. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:42 AM, Myles said:

The Colts have to fill spots.   Acker is good size and fairly young.  

I agree...you need a lot of depth in the secondary....and that's where special teams players come from.

You also have to have faith in the ability of your coaches to take young players and make them a little bit better.

Its a good (and as you say, low cost) pickup

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I read ya man. Crestmount is a good guy & we all have brain lapses every now & then, but I was like dude it was satire man. You even said JK & did laugh symbols. 

I don't know. I'll be nice, but really? I know I don't wanna alienate anybody. My biggest strength & liability is I can't mask my true emotions. I can't hide anything visually. CMT is alright. But yeah, what happened last night with that response was eyebrow raising bro. Absolutely. 

I will take the "high road" then my Friend.....life is short and we all could use friends.

6 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

You know how much I appreciate you man!  I really wasn't even angry at the blatant failure of the obvious, but had to point it out....you owe me a PM, Brother!

Thanks man. You're right I do owe you a PM. I liked your ZZ Top selections too as well as your Jackson Browne stuff for NFLfan in the Status Update section. You know your s**t RR7, by bleep I mean both music & football. 

It's definitely a mutual admiration society brother. No question. 

You're right though. I need to just get off my caboose & shot you a PM. Along with Lollygagger8, Jay Kirk, & NFLfan while I'm at it. Not this weekend though maybe by Tuesday I'll get the ball rolling. I'm in a tunes state of mind at the moment. 

On 4/11/2018 at 6:08 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

Living in KC I've seen quite a few chiefs games the past few years and he gets picked on quite a bit. He plays soft and pensive, does not have good awareness, doesn't make many plays when the ball is in the air.

I'm not sure why Ballard signed him.

He sounds perfect for us!

On 4/11/2018 at 9:15 AM, Myles said:

Cheap depth.    Ballard has proven to do very well adding young depth to the team for little money.   We are just waiting to see if he can add good quality starters by opening the wallet a little bit.  

All Ballard has proven so far is a 4-12 record,,, nothing more.  Not sure why he has so much credit with folks. I am not anti Ballard, but I am also not giving him credit for anything he hasn't done. Not sure why anyone else is beyond wishful thinking.  Last years draft picks haven't proven anything yet, beyond being injury prone so far. Sure, we all hope they'll improve but I don't see any proof of anything. Ironically his best signing got cut due to scheme change, but it seems like we should at least have gotten something for him in trade.  I gave him a pass year one, but he hasn't built up an ounce of slack beyond being neutral year one. If he flops this year he is squarely in Grigson territory. Grigs scored with his first draft even if you remove Luck from it. Even with our young free safety who missed over half the season, his first draft did not produce a Hilton or the two tight ends.  So lets wait and see before we all blindly offer up "in Ballard we trust" because I heard plenty of "in Grigson we trust" claims to fall for all that baseless rhetoric again.  He may be great or he may flop, but so far he's neither. 

On 4/11/2018 at 3:04 PM, Old Colt said:

Again; cheap and depth.... still no play makers or difference makers on either side of the ball.  Not much left out there now and certainly can't get many, if any, immediate ones in the draft.  Not sure what good a big amount of cap space will do the Colts.  Don't care if it is only April, not like these type of players are suddenly coming available in the summer.....  may take 2 or 3 drafts at best... meanwhile Colts stock pile cheap, depth players to fill the roster and sit on 2nd most cap space....

At least my season tickets aren't going to increase.....

Yeah, I can see your point. I am fine with not breaking the bank on old players, but could they really not find one clear starter in FA? Ebron is the highlight and his track record is underwhelming and Stafford is a solid QB.  Ebron will pair with our starting TE, but wasn't there a starting defender worthy of signing in the entire FA field? Do they really need to save up cap space for whatever is left after the draft and people cut in training camps? Maybe every starter level FA was overpriced and unworthy of our 4-12 team, but I bet some of them do in fact play up or beyond their contracts on other teams. Meanwhile....  PS: we did sign a way over the hill guard/center so it isn't ALL about signing youth now is it?

• Like 1

On 4/11/2018 at 12:42 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Honestly those numbers are good 50 tackles a year as a CB is good. Certainly Ballard knows him he might excel in a cover 2 scheme if he a good tackler! At the very least he's a warm body for  competition!

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

By signing Cirini as FS and cutting ties with Acker this could also mean that over the weekend the coaching staff really liked what they saw out of the 3 undrafted rookies - Jackson, Durr and Toliver.

I think they liked what they saw from some of the rookies but it doesn't even have to be "really liked..."  it could just be they thought they would get the same type of production as they would from Ackers.

• Like 1