Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck will speak with media tomorrow

TKnight24

15 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I kind of like double speak coach press talk which tells the audience nothing. Yes, I know. I despised Ryan Grigson when he did that because I expect more from a GM to their fanbase. 

I find comfort & familiarity in non answers from my QB. You know like everything is on schedule when they drop cliche jargon on the reports assembled there. 

What would scare me more is if Luck said, "Do you really wanna know where I'm at? Cancel all previous engagements folks we're gonna be here awhile folks. Start brewing some coffee. No decaf. Thanks." 

It's like when you ask a friend or co-worker how they are doing today? We don't want the truth man. Come on. haha 

Once that happens, run for hills! Just joking. 

I hear ya. NFL football is always the same. Every team just spews non answers all day long. Give a 1 hour presser and you still don't know anything more than what you did an hour ago. Impressive really.

• Like 2

And Peyton wasn't the same when he returned.  He had to throw differently.

Its not conspiracy talk or accusation of lying about a return date that some are saying, but when Luck comes out and says that he skipped steps last year it does go against the claim he was taking his time and rehabbing the right way, which I believe is what he and the Colts said he was doing last year.

Everything looks good for his return to normal.  You don't draft a QB with a high pick until you know he can't perform at his previous level or at whatever new level his repaired arm allows.  But I would maybe draft the QB from Princeton, Chad Kanoff, in the 4th or 5th round.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, azcolt said:

Then I guess we just draft a QB next season, huh? This year is one of the rare years with several highly rated qb’s. Take a look at next year. The cupboard is bare. Of course there is always 2020 or 2021. No one is calling Luck a liar, but no one is calling him a doctor or a seer either. Unless flag football is in his future the fact he can’t even throw a football makes any prediction that he will be ok to be drilled by mean 300 pound men five months from now seem a little shaky. But feel free to be a believer because faith seems to be as useful as further medical care at this point.

The several highly rated QBs this year are over rated.

Having listened to the audio this morning, here are my reasons for being upbeat about where we are:

1. Andrew is back towards "football size". Holder posted a tweet saying his sources are telling him that Luck has been "killing it" in the gym and he looks like he could bench a small car.  If his shoulder was still in bother, he would not be smashing up the gym like he appears to be.  The shoulder must be stronger.

2. Luck said there is a timetable.  This is a key change to the rhetoric last year of "wait and see" that we heard continually.  There is a clear plan and they are working the plan with dates in mind, although Luck said he wasn't sharing them at this time but he was fully aiming to be involved in training camp.

3. Luck is being more open.  He was open about perhaps being to blame for some of the delay last year and that he was pushing too hard, which we have not heard from him before.  This may be projecting on my part, but you only get that reflective when you are nearing the end of a process.

I admit I was also one of the positive group last year, but I genuinely feel like we start game 1 with Luck under center, but I understand many will not be satisfied until they see him throw in a game-like scenario (OTA's, pre season, etc), and is understandable after last year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Oh no, didn't think you were ganging up on me lol. Your probably the most respectful poster here. Certainly NOT like some others that I won't mention who and are on Ignore lol.

As far as affording to paying Luck, a rookie, and Brissett. The only one making any money is Luck. And he will get paid whether he's playing or not.

I'm not a doctor so I don't really know how resilient knees & shoulders are. But I kinda thought that many players careers were cut short on knee issues and I know Bert Jones career was way too short with a bad shoulder.

I don't know if Luck's doctor was competent or not. In fact I don't even know if it's public knowledge yet on who his doctor was. Like his trainer who he went to Europe with it's unknown who he is. As far as listening to his doctors in recovery phrase he said he missed steps and rushed coming back.

And I didn't say I was ready to throw Luck away. Drafting a highly rated QB in a deep QB Draft class is a INSURANCE POLICY for this ORGANIZATION GOUNG FORWARD incase Luck's shoulder doesn't/can't stay healthy. We may not be in position to get a quality QB in the near future if we need one. This was a good season to get one with Luck's health in question.

If this is your idea of a highly rated QB class you have been paying too much attention to the media.

I wish I had Eric Ebron’s confidence regarding this shoulder. haha Andrew will most definitely be back...sometime...My guess is by training camp he’ll be throwing real footballs.

I’m getting 2-4 emails about buying season tickets PER DAY. They never did that in the past to my knowledge. Just for the conspiracy theorists out there. :peek:

6 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

The part that is cloudy to me is that Luck's apparently been throwing balls that are heavier than footballs, but not actually throwing footballs. 

Why not just throw footballs? Is the motion that different? 

P.S. I'm not a doctor. 

I noticed that too.  I think it may relate to something Irsay said months ago, a lot of it is between his ears, mental.  Anything other than throwing footballs is rehab, preparation. If he feels some discomfort, that's not a HUGE problem, because its till rehab. When he starts throwing football's, that's his profession, that's what he does.  If he feels even the slightest discomfort after throwing a football, then he might panic.

I think its about doing whatever it takes, as long as it takes, to make sure that when he starts throwing footballs everything seems normal at that time. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All the people being skeptical blows my mind. Andrew looks 100% better now than he did back in December. When he spoke today he looked happy and sounded optimistic. Maybe he is in on the conspiracy to sell tickets :sarcasm: lmao. Geez give the silliness a break. If he was actually done the Colts would've never traded their 3rd pick because they would need a QB. If the people think what the Colts say is nonsense then find another team to root for, that simple. 

Well said. I think too many on this sight listen to Dakich too much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

The part that is cloudy to me is that Luck's apparently been throwing balls that are heavier than footballs, but not actually throwing footballs. 

P.S. I'm not a doctor. 

The Colts really need to know if Luck can throw a football in the next two weeks.

If they know he is unable to throw, maybe it would change how the team goes about the draft.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

P.S. I'm not a doctor. 

probably something to do with strength training.  Kind of like shooting a Bow with an arrow versus "dry firing" a Bow.  Dry firing is releasing the string without an arrow.  It causes the strings to stretch in weird ways. Throwing the heavier balls, shorter distances lets the ligaments gain strength and stability. At least that's my understanding of it coming off an a rotator cuff tear myself. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

The Colts really need to know if Luck can throw a football in the next two weeks.

If they know he is unable to throw, maybe it would change how the team goes about the draft.

Like theyve said, Andrew has said, he's throwing footballs, just not NFL sized ones.  So he's likely throwing the smaller High school/junior high sized balls. Possibly even weighted ones. 

1 hour ago, DarkSuperman said:

I had trouble issues last year (Nothing that required surgery) and let me tell you that workout out became nearly impossible. The fact that he had surgery and is now that jacked is a very good sign that his shoulder surgery and rehab went well.

Truth! 

When my shoulder hurts, benching is out, and obviously shoulder day is out.

Luck getting to the size he is can't be just dieting. He's gotta be working out. 

33 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Here is yet another long, drawn out, video which gives us  little hope for Lucks return.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/10/colts-paid-the-price-for-letting-andrew-luck-play-hurt/#comments

I watched the video,  it was fairly optimistic.   Sure they don't know when or if Luck will return, but they did say they thought the Colts are heading in the right direction.   Simms noted that Luck looks stronger.   They are just of the mindset that they need to see Luck throw, which is understandable considering the circumstances. 

Last year I fully expected Luck wouldn’t play a snap even before the regular season started. While disappointed...I wasn’t surprised.  The Colts were acting too secretive and there seemed to be too many similarities to how they handled the Manning injury.  Ultimately I was shown to be correct in my expectations.

However, this year...I expect Andrew will see the field.  I believe what he is saying and appreciate how much he has opened himself up in regards to this. Make no mistake...it’s hard for him to be this vulnerable. I believe he made some mistakes along the way but has learned from them and is close to being able to get back into action.  So the vibe I’m getting is that he will play.  That said...I also expect him to struggle on the field as he tries to find his way again.  He will take some lumps.  But ultimately, if patient the Colts should have a few more years of good Luck down the road. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Like theyve said, Andrew has said, he's throwing footballs, just not NFL sized ones.  So he's likely throwing the smaller High school/junior high sized balls. Possibly even weighted ones. 

Whatever, but way the team has handled Lucks situation over the past two years I have very low confidence in his full return.

As insurance, I am hoping we acquire another QB to compete with Brissett. Maybe through the draft.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Apparently the balls are the size of a softball.

The latest article from Doyel:

...“How small is that football you’re throwing?” I’m asking Luck, and now I’m raising my hands and putting them together to show him a football the size of softball. “When I was a little kid I had a plastic one about that size …”

“There you go,” Luck says, cutting me off.

Really?

“Yeah.”

A little plastic one, I repeat.

“I don’t know if it’s plastic,” he says. “Might be a little nicer than that. Yeah, little ones and weighted balls and” – he pauses – “I don’t think you need to get into the minutiae.”

Yeah we do, I’m telling him. Do your hands. Show us the football.

Luck, just the nicest guy in the world, does it. He cups his hands the size of a softball.

That’s what he’s throwing. Is that bad news? Could be, but here’s some good news: Luck is big, and he’s ripped...

OR978oyL_bigger.jpgGregg DoyelVerified account @GreggDoyelStar 21h21 hours ago
Andrew Luck is more comfortable throwing big literary references than big footballs. What did his news conference reveal Monday? Not much. But it was so much fun.

5 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

P.S. I'm not a doctor. 

But you play one on TV right? ;-)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Having listened to the audio this morning, here are my reasons for being upbeat about where we are:

1. Andrew is back towards "football size". Holder posted a tweet saying his sources are telling him that Luck has been "killing it" in the gym and he looks like he could bench a small car.  If his shoulder was still in bother, he would not be smashing up the gym like he appears to be.  The shoulder must be stronger.

2. Luck said there is a timetable.  This is a key change to the rhetoric last year of "wait and see" that we heard continually.  There is a clear plan and they are working the plan with dates in mind, although Luck said he wasn't sharing them at this time but he was fully aiming to be involved in training camp.

3. Luck is being more open.  He was open about perhaps being to blame for some of the delay last year and that he was pushing too hard, which we have not heard from him before.  This may be projecting on my part, but you only get that reflective when you are nearing the end of a process.

I admit I was also one of the positive group last year, but I genuinely feel like we start game 1 with Luck under center, but I understand many will not be satisfied until they see him throw in a game-like scenario (OTA's, pre season, etc), and is understandable after last year. 

You say he was pushing too hard, i see him saying that he skipped steps. Meaning he took it for granted and DID NOT do all the necessary work last year.
  Boy oh boy!

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

You say he was pushing too hard, i see him saying that he skipped steps. Meaning he took it for granted and DID NOT do all the necessary work last year.
  Boy oh boy!

Skipping steps, to me, means going too fast.  Pushing too hard......like climbing a flight of stairs, skipping steps is an attempt to reach the top faster.  I don't read Luck's statements as entitlement or laziness, quite the opposite in fact.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Throwing a football and bench pressing is total different. There's more rotation of muscles and ligaments when throwing a ball. Your not really isolating one area when bench pressing ( using a lot of different muscles). Throwing your using faster twitch muslces. Also if he's throwing objects other than footballs, I'd like to know at what speed. If it's soft toss, your still not getting that torque in the shoulder joints, muscles, etc. So the weight lifting and throwing objects doesn't mean much to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Throwing a football and bench pressing is total different. There's more rotation of muscles and ligaments when throwing a ball. Your not really isolating one area when bench pressing ( using a lot of different muscles). Throwing your using faster twitch muslces. Also if he's throwing objects other than footballs, I'd like to know at what speed. If it's soft toss, your still not getting that torque in the shoulder joints, muscles, etc. So the weight lifting and throwing objects doesn't mean much to me. 

Just out of curiosity have you ever heard of HIPAA? 

5 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

Skipping steps, to me, means going too fast.  Pushing too hard......like climbing a flight of stairs, skipping steps is an attempt to reach the top faster.  I don't read Luck's statements as entitlement or laziness, quite the opposite in fact.

Remember....    this is BBZ....    his default position is to the negative...   especially when it comes to Luck...

On April 10, 2018 at 4:37 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Oh no, didn't think you were ganging up on me lol. Your probably the most respectful poster here. Certainly NOT like some others that I won't mention who and are on Ignore lol.

As far as affording to paying Luck, a rookie, and Brissett. The only one making any money is Luck. And he will get paid whether he's playing or not.

I'm not a doctor so I don't really know how resilient knees & shoulders are. But I kinda thought that many players careers were cut short on knee issues and I know Bert Jones career was way too short with a bad shoulder.

I don't know if Luck's doctor was competent or not. In fact I don't even know if it's public knowledge yet on who his doctor was. Like his trainer who he went to Europe with it's unknown who he is. As far as listening to his doctors in recovery phrase he said he missed steps and rushed coming back.

And I didn't say I was ready to throw Luck away. Drafting a highly rated QB in a deep QB Draft class is a INSURANCE POLICY for this ORGANIZATION GOUNG FORWARD incase Luck's shoulder doesn't/can't stay healthy. We may not be in position to get a quality QB in the near future if we need one. This was a good season to get one with Luck's health in question.

Thank you LJ for the kind words on my behalf. :hat:

You are right. Luck is the only QB on our roster making substantial money that is true & yes, you didn't say that Luck's NFL career is essentially over. I shouldn't have leaped to that conclusion. I will concede that point. 

I get your concern about drafting some insurance just in case Luck, for whatever reason, experiences some sort of setback. But, let's say for the sake of argument that we do draft another QB to cover our bases; wouldn't the money spent on another field general perhaps inhibit the ability to sign say another LB or pass rusher on the roster even if a 3rd QB was on a rookie wage scale? Or God forbid--the rookie is lighting it up & we find ourselves in a QB controversy down the line ala Drew Brees/Philip Rivers back in San Diego way back when....

Given that I've had surgeries on my knees & shoulder, I'm pretty confident that Luck will be fine even with some range of motion limitations now. True, the punishment an athlete takes in professional football is vastly different then say a private citizen on a daily basis. No argument there. 

I know all INDY fans wanna make the playoffs & not endure another trying season again. I get it. Believe me, I'm right there with ya. Trust me. We still have some growing pains to endure yet, but the Colts will return to prominence eventually. 

The one thing I will agree with you on in this: This yrs class of QBs is far greater than next yrs class would be. Ballard seems confident that Luck will be under center this season so, I don't anticipate him selecting a QB this April. Time will tell I guess. 

17 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

To the topic....I am less confident in a full recovery than I was before this press conference.  Hope I am wrong...

Hey there RR7, 

I'm watching Luck's press conference right now. A reporter just asked Chewy if he can understand the fans frustration that he isn't throwing footballs yet? Andrew gets it. 

The thing I would say is this: I always remember what HOF TE Shannon Sharpe says on "Undisputed" a lot. Basically, fans expect you to play as well or greater then when you when down from injury. If you're out there, they expect flawlessness on the field. Translation: It doesn't scare me at all that he hasn't throw a ball yet. Talk to me in August man. I don't get preoccupied with timetables not this early. People can take issue with the steps or the process as an excuse if they want. Just remember, fans expect perfection on the field & if Luck needs this time for rehab take it. Just be throwing balls no later than say August 12th or 15th. 

I'm not that worried brother. 

• Thanks 1

I actually found Luck's presser reassuring. His shoulder & literary jokes were funny man. I also like that he refused to talk about hypothetical situations, last yrs comments, & just focus in on what he can control right now. Why do some fans act like he delivered his own eulogy man?Nobody died man chill. All is not lost folks.

Okay, his remarks about "the journey" may have seemed odd perhaps, but to me, he's referring back to how much he missed playing ball & nothing is gonna jeopardize him from returning to the field even if it means tedious hoops to jump through. 

I found what he said very candid & reassuring actually. He's clearly in a good place or mindset right now. I'm pretty good at reading body language. Luck isn't hiding anything. He's right where he should be in April. 

Also, Luck's face is like a book. If things were catastrophic medically, he couldn't pull the wool over on any fans eyes. I'm the same way, I can't lie to save my caboose either. There goes my career in politics. LOL! I like that about Luck. He's a straight shooter & will always be one for the rest of his life man. 

33 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Video by NBC Sports Medicine Analyst Mike Ryan, a long-time NFL athletic trainer on possibly why Lucks recovery is taking so long.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/11/teams-need-to-be-able-to-keep-players-from-skipping-rehab-steps/

Great post! Thanks for the link 59 Colts. :thmup:

I loved the last portion of the interview where the trainer talked about how athletes fear that their career might be over after surgery so they might not be receptive to advice & precautionary measures initially. That is right on the money man! When you have to re-lean things you used to take for granted, it scares the crap out of you. Like what am I if I can't make a living playing ball anymore? What if that's it, I'm done? 

That's why I'm grateful that my stepmother taught me early on, your occupation doesn't define you. That's not who you are. Your profession & your personality are 2 drastically different things. 

I'm not sure I buy that Luck was a bad patient. You don't earn a Master's degree in Architecture by failing to listen & follow directions. Andrew just knew as the face of the franchise this team is toast if he's not out there on game day & he's right--We are. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Hey there RR7, 

I'm watching Luck's press conference right now. A reporter just asked Chewy if he can understand the fans frustration that he isn't throwing footballs yet? Andrew gets it. 

The thing I would say is this: I always remember what HOF TE Shannon Sharpe says on "Undisputed" a lot. Basically, fans expect you to play as well or greater then when you when down from injury. If you're out there, they expect flawlessness on the field. Translation: It doesn't scare me at all that he hasn't throw a ball yet. Talk to me in August man. I don't get preoccupied with timetables not this early. People can take issue with the steps or the process as an excuse if they want. Just remember, fans expect perfection on the field & if Luck needs this time for rehab take it. Just be throwing balls no later than say August 12th or 15th. 

I'm not that worried brother. 

Don't you think that if Luck only starts to throw football's Aug 12 - 15...

That he would end up missing half the season?

I believe Luck needs to begin throwing much sooner if he is to start week1

• Like 1

Interesting that first.....there always has to be blame levied when something doesn't go as planned. Second, the blame is often aimed at those who are already negative figures in that persons mind. Case in point, if you don't like our former coach Pagano, it was his fault for letting Luck play, encouraging Luck to play or even forcing him to play. Similar to Mr. Irsay, but with the added caveat of manipulating opinions to drive ticket sales. 

Is it possible that the person you like (um...that would be Luck for most of you), has finally admitted that his own feelings of guilt and denial led him to not be truthful to the team physicians, coaches, and so on.....and played when he shouldn't have. That the medicals showed inconclusive and luck said he was fine and getting better? That he felt responsibility to the fan base to push through his own pain? And that those people who wanted to hear good news about their very important QB passed that info on to you? And that added even more pressure to Andrews plate? How hard must that have been for him to fall from that lofty perch? I am reminded of a great quote form the late Frank Herbert...

“Here lies a toppled god.
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

I vehemently reject the idea that anyone....ANYONE in the organization tried to coerce Andrew into returning before he was ready as. He is an amazing young man, but we may have witnessed a very human, and not so perfect side of himself. He has spoken quite openly now, of how he will be a better person and teammate. He just did some growing. Regardless of how he throws the football moving forward, good on you, Andrew. You are openly showing others how to shoulder(not a pun) a likely costly mistake in full public, and are demonstrating severe patience in the process. He is already a better person. He could probably use some encouragement, and positive vibes from the fans, who have truly enjoyed his hard work so far with this team.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Don't you think that if Luck only starts to throw football's Aug 12 - 15... That he would end up missing half the season? I think he needs to begin throwing much sooner if Luck is to start week1

I suspect that Luck will be throwing by mid July so, I don't see it as a problem personally 59C. 

My August example is just a worst case scenario. Luck will be getting reps will before then my friend. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

“Here lies a toppled god.the late Frank Herbert...
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

I vehemently reject the idea that anyone....ANYONE in the organization tried to coerce Andrew into returning before he was ready as. He is an amazing young man, but we may have witnessed a very human, and not so perfect side of himself. He has spoken quite openly now, of how he will be a better person and teammate. He just did some growing. Regardless of how he throws the football moving forward, good on you, Andrew. You are openly showing others how to shoulder(not a pun) a likely costly mistake in full public, and are demonstrating severe patience in the process. He is already a better person. He could probably use some encouragement, and positive vibes from the fans, who have truly enjoyed his hard work so far with this team.

Nice post. I whole heartedly agree with the bolded part. Ticks me off though when he have a snarky newspaper reporter harassing him at his news conference and a jerk radio guy calling him and the whole FO a bunch of "liars" on his radio show. Time to try to come together but I guess some just like the negative side of things.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Great post! Thanks for the link 59 Colts. :thmup:

I loved the last portion of the interview where the trainer talked about how athletes fear that their career might be over after surgery so they might not be receptive to advice & precautionary measures initially. That is right on the money man! When you have to re-lean things you used to take for granted, it scares the crap out of you. Like what am I if I can't make a living playing ball anymore? What if that's it, I'm done? 

That's why I'm grateful that my stepmother taught me early on, your occupation doesn't define you. That's not who you are. Your profession & your personality are 2 drastically different things. 

I'm not sure I buy that Luck was a bad patient. You don't earn a Master's degree in Architecture by failing to listen & follow directions. Andrew just knew as the face of the franchise this team is toast if he's not out there on game day & he's right--We are. 

Just shows that Andrew is human, that's all.

• Like 1