Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My fear of Tremaine Edmunds

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd consider it....    I just don't know if I'd accept it...

In my rusty trap that I call a mind, I can see Arizona;s pick next year being in the top 10.

Usually rookie QBs have stinky first years.......

Early first, early 2nd...........  Extra 2nd this year......

Not saying its gonna happen, but MAN that would be a dang HAUL

And help the Colts to actually put some talent on the field..... quicker

Thank you. I actually wonder how many people have actually watched Edmunds tape. Anyone who has watched him knows that he’s a beast in the run game who already has good instincts. He routinely anticipates where the ball is going and meets a lot of RBs immediately after the handoff. That’s why he has 33 career TFLs. Anyone who says he doesn’t have instincts or that they’re poor, hasn’t watched any tape.

I hate when people accuse others of not watching tape because they disagree.  I've watched every available play of Edmunds and to say he has good instincts is crazy in my mind.  They aren't Malik Jefferson bad but they're honestly not that far off.  Of course he has splash plays and production against the run, he's always attacking the line of scrimmage whether its actually a run or not.  He's a guesser, so naturally he'll guess correctly half the time and look amazing.  This is why there is no consistency to his game, he is not an instinctual player in the least at the moment.  If you are taking him you are banking on him to develop his instincts, which is a very dangerous game to play.  Being 19 does not make that any less true.  

This is not to say he does not have many redeeming qualities, because he does.  But I just don't get how someone can argue he has good instincts at this point in time.

10 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

In my rusty trap that I call a mind, I can see Arizona;s pick next year being in the top 10.

Usually rookie QBs have stinky first years.......

Early first, early 2nd...........  Extra 2nd this year......

Not saying its gonna happen, but MAN that would be a dang HAUL

And help the Colts to actually put some talent on the field..... quicker

Arizona's quarterback next year is NOT going to be a rookie.   They signed Sam Bradford and another experienced backup when Bradford inevitably gets hurt.

If the Cardinals trade up, whoever they take, odds are they will sit on the bench...   perhaps the whole season and I wouldn't think before December....

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Arizona's quarterback next year is NOT going to be a rookie.   They signed Sam Bradford and another experienced backup when Bradford inevitably gets hurt.

If the Cardinals trade up, whoever they take, odds are they will sit on the bench...   perhaps the whole season and I wouldn't think before December....

You may be right (or not :) ) ......  I DONT see them getting better, at the least, aging star WR, lost

one of their best DBs.....

Sam Bradford has lost all his shine......   

It will still PROBABLY be a worse pick then this year......

But who knows

My crystal ball just clouded up again...........

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

You may be right (or not :) ) ......  I DONT see them getting better, at the least, aging star WR, lost

Sam Bradford has lost all his shine......   

It will still PROBABLY be a worse pick then this year......

But who knows

My crystal ball just clouded up again...........

Bradford got a very big deal...  I think it's $20 million for this year...   they're not paying him that kind of money not to play. He'll start until he can't...

It'll be a long strange year for the Cards...

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Bradford got a very big deal...  I think it's $20 million for this year...   they're not paying him that kind of money not to play. He'll start until he can't...

Sorry to further cloud up that crystal ball of yours, but the Cardinals have a solid O-line and they’re getting back one of the best weapons in the NFL in David Johnson. Bradford just needs to keep teams honest.

People seem to have forgotten about Johnson.

On 4/7/2018 at 7:22 PM, Clem-Dog said:

I fear he could be the next Coryatt.  Hard to know for sure.

An injury risk?  He wasnt a bad pick - he was very productive.  When healthy.  Coryatt is an easy target now but people forget he had really good years before he got hurt.  Nobody can predict injuries. It’s no different than saying Emtman was a bad pick.  No, he was the exact right pick who simply had horrific injury luck.   And as it turned out, no player at the top of that 92 draft was really exceptional and I don’t believe there is a single hall of famer from that entire draft either - yet.  A bad year for the Colts to have the top two picks.  But I’d argue the Colts have had worse drafts.  82 was worse.  And cost them far more long term then taking Coryatt at #2.  

I prefer Smith over Edmunds but I think Edmunds will do just fine.  The “off my draft board” talk after watching the Clemson highlights is comical to me.  But to each their own.  You know why he guessed a lot at Va Tech?  Because he could.  Because Old Dominion and Virginia and Duke stink.  Because he was the best athlete on the field in most games and he was allowed to do some of those things by the coaching staff who knew he could physically beat most players at the point of attack and make plays.  That’s no different then a ton of college kids.  The best are extended more freedom than the less talented.  Do you really think that Bud Foster, who has been one of the best DC’s in this generation of coaches would allow such undisciplined, forward leaning, early commitments if he didn’t want it?  You won’t get better coaching then Foster at the college level.  Edmunds was given a ton of freedom.  And at 19, he guessed wrong some.  But he also made a ton of plays.  You can teach playing linebacker at a pro level.  You can’t make Smith grow more to shed blockers easier.  I get why Edmunds is the #1 LB on most draftniks boards. 

He will get even better coaching and play within a much more structured and disciplined system in the pros.  Like all prospects, the evaluation is based on how you envision him in your scheme, not in Va Tech’s or some other teams D.  And your interviews and due diligence tell you if he will be able to learn, be committed, be a pro.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem with Bradford is not that he cannot play... I actually like him when playing. The problem with him has always been his ability to stay on the field. He has a degenerative knee condition that has already reared its ugly head on multiple occasions and cut his season short last year and when he came back he looked like he didn't trust his knee anymore. We'll see but how surprised would you be if Bradford plays less than 8 games next season? I think Arizona actually has the chance to be bad next year. I don't love their talent across the board. They have some blue chip talent, but they also have aging players and unimpressive offense.