Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jordan Howard Trade Rumors

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

If they would do that, hell to the yeah.

You would have to ask yourself first, is Jordan Howard worth losing out on both Chubb and Nelson at 8? Because I doubt they would still be there. 

It might make a trade down with Buffalo easier though. Barring any other trades, the QBs available at 6 and 8 shouldn't be different. 

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

You would have to ask yourself first, is Jordan Howard worth losing out on both Chubb and Nelson at 8? Because I doubt they would still be there. 

It might make a trade down with Buffalo easier though. Barring any other trades, the QBs available at 6 and 8 shouldn't be different. 

I would say yes but ONLY because you are then getting TWO starters to help your already depleted roster.  I wouldn't even rule out that one of the "big 3" would still be there depending on how many QB's go early, but even if not you could still get a quality player such as Smith, Edmunds, James, etc. that could help your club AND get your bell-cow RB (who is still pretty young BTW).

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He's a RB.  It's a lowly position and short shelf life. We need our draft picks for OL & Defense.

We can get a rb in 7th rd. or UDFA.

haha

I agree EXCEPT you aren't giving up any draft picks, you're just moving down 2 spots and still in the top 10.  And I agree, good quality RB's can be had in the middle to later rounds.  Just look at Howard himself who was a 5th rounder.  BUT, this guy has only played two years, he has over 2,400 rushing yards and 15 TD's, and he's just 23 years old.  He's still got some mileage left in his tank.  If the average RB shelf life is 5 years then you still get 3 more quality years out of him, and I would take that just to move back only 2 measly spots and not give up anything else.  Yes, you could always try to find another Jordan Howard in the 5th round, but that is a crapshoot at best.  With Howard, you already KNOW what you are getting.  Just my 2.

4 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I agree EXCEPT you aren't giving up any draft picks, you're just moving down 2 spots and still in the top 10.  And I agree, good quality RB's can be had in the middle to later rounds.  Just look at Howard himself who was a 5th rounder.  BUT, this guy has only played two years, he has over 2,400 rushing yards and 15 TD's, and he's just 23 years old.  He's still got some mileage left in his tank.  If the average RB shelf life is 5 years then you still get 3 more quality years out of him, and I would take that just to move back only 2 measly spots and not give up anything else.  Yes, you could always try to find another Jordan Howard in the 5th round, but that is a crapshoot at best.  With Howard, you already KNOW what you are getting.  Just my 2.

I was being sarcastic without putting in the sarcasm emoji lol.

If there is no trade partner at #6 to get a haul then yes you consider. But if there isn't a trade partner that probably means the Top 4 QB's are gone and that probably means two of three in group of Barkley, Chubb, and Nelson are there at #6. Is Howard worth losing out on one of them? I wouldn't think so.

Probably the best scenario would be trading a 4th or 5th for him OR SWAPPING our 3rd for their 4th or something along those lines.

But he's a Beast and would be a good compliment to Mack.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Thoughts on trading pick 6 for pick 8 and Howard?

Look, we’re not trading out of pick 6 before on draft day when we know what have been taking and is still available at that point. I think Ballard want to see what Giants do before he takes any phone calls.

No to a move from 6 to 8 to get Howard. That pick could prove to be far more valuable on draft day. Either because a game changing player is available or because the QB follies have created a great trade opportunity. Trading a later round pick for him sounds  much better. 

This is really interesting.  He's not the greatest receiver out of the backfield, but he's gone for more than 1100 yards in both seasons in the league and averaged more than 4 yards a carry in both seasons.  At 23 years old, he still has plenty of good football ahead of him.  I certainly wouldn't want to trade the 6th overall pick away for him, but if he's available for a 4th or 5th rounder, I'd kick the tires

No way I'm trading out of #6 before draft day unless I get a similar package to what BUFF, MIA, or ARIZ would give.  I think a RB like Howard could be had later in this draft. 

He's good.  I'd like to have him.  But he's not worth much in terms of draft pick.

Honestly, there's a good chance Howard will be better as an RB than Barkley or most of the RB's in this draft class. Moving from 6 to 8 to get a top 10 RB at worst is a pretty solid deal. We've had a lot of trouble getting a top RB, and it's clearly an area of need. To move down from 6 to 8 to get Howard, I would do that unless Nelson specifically was there at 6. If he's gone, then I do the trade every time.

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Hold on everybody..

How could a 2-time 1,000-yard rusher not be a fit in ANY pro offense...?

true, though he's not the best in the passing game so not sure if that will be a big deal in the type of offense they'll be running now.

If we traded for Howard and ended up with Nelson, I’d say it was possibly the most ingenious strategy ever in the draft. 

Ballard already got us 2 2nd rounders for this year and the one next year. It remains to be seen if this rumor runs true or not. 

After losing Carlos Hyde, I would be surprised if the 49ers do not pounce on it.

With the success of later round backs like Kareem Hunt, Jordan Howard himself, I doubt any team is willing to part with more than a 5th rounder for a position of high attrition.

10 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Hold on everybody..

How could a 2-time 1,000-yard rusher not be a fit in ANY pro offense...?

Because he's a Frank Gore hard running straight line guy.  Nick Chubb this year.  Probably many others we never heard of later. 

Not sure Ballard wants that type of RB, or else he may have just re-upped on Gore again for one year and not leave a hole at the RB position. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

If we traded for Howard and ended up with Nelson, I’d say it was possibly the most ingenious strategy ever in the draft. 

Ballard already got us 2 2nd rounders for this year and the one next year. It remains to be seen if this rumor runs true or not. 

The thing is...I think CHI only makes this deal to move up and ensure they get Nelson. They need an OG and Nelson played his college ball nearby...seems like a perfect fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

After losing Carlos Hyde, I would be surprised if the 49ers do not pounce on it.

With the success of later round backs like Kareem Hunt, Jordan Howard himself, I doubt any team is willing to part with more than a 5th rounder for a position of high attrition.

I don't think Shanahan would make a run at Howard. He is similar to Hyde...who they let walk.

Look at last season, SF drafted Joe Williams (5'11" 210 lbs, 4.41 40 yard dash) and signed UDFA Matt Breida (5'11" 190 lbs 4.37 40 yard dash)...who got a lot of work in the latter part of the season. I think Shanahan has a type of RB. If he wants a change of pace, he has Juszczyk.

Hmmm...I like Howard and I like that he played his ball nearby in Bloomington. I still wonder what Grigs was doing when both Howard and (especially) Coleman were playing an hour away from Indy.

But I want the Colts to win the trade. So I think I would take Howard, #8 and #39 for #6 and #67. The Colts don't lose any picks and basically get Howard for free (according to the trade value chart). That gives the Colts an upgrade at RB and possibly a future comp pick...and buy some time to address RB longer term. 

For the Bears, instead of some meh late round pick for Howard, the Bears get immediate value by ensuring they get their guy at #6 (Nelson). They do lose out on an early 2nd round pick, but they get an early 3rd round pick, which they don't have this year. The Bears get their guy in the 1st round and still have another solid day two pick. That's not bad, considering they really have no leverage at this point.

That would give the Colts three picks in the 33-40 range, which would be awesome. They could easily turn one of those into another day three pick (for example, SF has #59 and #70) and end up with 5 day two picks. 

Howard reminds me of a shiftier Legarrette Blount.  If Blount fit Phillys offense I see no reason why Howard couldn't fit in what Reich is implementing here in Indy.   Not sure if we are even interested but I don't think him fitting is an issue.  Don't think Blount had great hands either.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Thoughts on trading pick 6 for pick 8 and Howard?

Nope at best I would offer a 4th round pick. This is a good Running back draft so, I wouldn't give up much and since they want to get rid of him, I would low ball them

• Like 3

6 hours ago, shastamasta said:

The thing is...I think CHI only makes this deal to move up and ensure they get Nelson. They need an OG and Nelson played his college ball nearby...seems like a perfect fit.

I guess it would still be possible to get Chubb, but if not, there are other elite talents to take as well. 

8 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I don't think Shanahan would make a run at Howard. He is similar to Hyde...who they let walk.

Look at last season, SF drafted Joe Williams (5'11" 210 lbs, 4.41 40 yard dash) and signed UDFA Matt Breida (5'11" 190 lbs 4.37 40 yard dash)...who got a lot of work in the latter part of the season. I think Shanahan has a type of RB. If he wants a change of pace, he has Juszczyk.

Shanahan loves speed which Howard doesn't have but Howard is a great fit in outside zone running teams which Shanahan prefers and in which Howard had success with the Bears. He has better vision and patience than Hyde who wasn't ideal fit.