Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lorenzo Carter

Hadn't seen really anybody discuss this as a possiblity at WLB or SAM.  

He seems to be more of that type than a pure edge rusher. 

I love the height at 6'6"and he clocked 4.4 at the combine.  Think he's got pretty good athleticism

According to Zierlein on NFL.com he writes:

Carter was a five-star prospect and one of the most heralded players in the nation when he was recruited by Georgia but he never made the impact expected of him as a Bulldog. However, Carter played with increased toughness and confidence this year and his NFL potential began to reassert itself once again. Carter is an outside linebacker in a 3-4 or 4-3 with sideline-to-sideline range and the tools to become a productive edge rusher in sub-packages. He needs to add more bulk, but he is a future NFL starter.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/lorenzo-carter?id=32462018-0002-5601-5036-eb588e2850ea

Do you think he's an option for us at the WLB or SAM?  Or would you not use him that way.

Just had it on mind.

I would play him at WLB for sure.  If he can cover from sideline to sideline than I would like to see he's possible coverage abilities.  He would be a guy that could definitely get some weakside blitz and would add a great element to our new scheme.  Him and Edmunds at MLB and Simon at SAM.  That would not be to bad right there.

I have to admit I have not seen him play too much and didn't really notice him when I watched Georgia but I will say, if I were a GM I would be leary of any player that did not develop during college.  That usually means they are not putting in the effort to get better and if they don't do in college they are not going to do it in the pros.

Just now, DaColts85 said:

I would play him at WLB for sure.  If he can cover from sideline to sideline than I would like to see he's possible coverage abilities.  He would be a guy that could definitely get some weakside blitz and would add a great element to our new scheme.  Him and Edmunds at MLB and Simon at SAM.  That would not be to bad right there.

I thought about him a couple times.  Especially with Eberflus emphsizing speed and Ballard loving guys with size.  Thought I'd bring it up since I didn't see anybody else mention him as a possiblity at all.   I definitely did think about him and Edmunds together a time or two.

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I have to admit I have not seen him play too much and didn't really notice him when I watched Georgia but I will say, if I were a GM I would be leary of any player that did not develop during college.  That usually means they are not putting in the effort to get better and if they don't do in college they are not going to do it in the pros.

I thought the objection from some might be he would be a project or something.  I just don't think he's that great of a pass rusher and maybe that was the issue some.  It might be sort of like Mingo.  I see the Seahawks are starting him at LB in their system and not at DE. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I thought the objection from some might be he would be a project or something.  I just don't think he's that great of a pass rusher and maybe that was the issue some.  It might be sort of like Mingo.  I see the Seahawks are starting him at LB in their system and not at DE.

Sorry my objection did not fit in with the objections you were ready to discuss. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Sorry my objection did not fit in with the objections you were ready to discuss. :)

No I get what you're saying and I'm ok with your perspective.   Just wanted to see where people stood on him.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

No I get what you're saying and I'm ok with your perspective.   Just wanted to see where people stood on him.

Of course it would take more than a report from Lance but if I got from the coaches that he was not a hard worker or didn't do the steps needed to improve his game I would take him off my draft board and maybe put him as a priority free agent.

Going off his measurable thought in a 4-3 zone type D. his best spot may be SAM... tell him on this play hit that gap and let him get to that gap in a hurry.

• Like 1

My question with him has also been his lack of development since coming in as one of the top rated HS players. It's either an issue of poor coaching, lack of effort on his part, or just playing out of position. He's an incredible athlete and hopefully it's the latter of the 3..

17 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm pretty sure he's not that kind of guy. From what I remember reading it was a number of factors that kept him from reaching his potential but that he is a hard worker and team player. 

• Like 1

Could he not play DE in a 4-3? To me he has the size of a 4-3 DE if he adds just a bit more bulk as opposed to a OLB. His length is what tells me he might struggle at OLB. You need fast, fluid, and twitchy players to man those positions and someone as lengthy as Carter I would think would struggle with that more. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I'd like to know why he couldn't play RDE or LDE in our 4-3?

He's 250...   couldn't he grow into a DE?  Put on 10-15 pounds over a year or two?

Thats where my mind goes with Carter.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

What were some of the factors?

I can't remember exactly but I believe he was moved around a lot and he was limited in the beginning because he had to add mass to his frame. 

I don't think he's some knuckle head who didn't put forth any effort. It just didn't work out like most expected. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd like to know why he couldn't play RDE or LDE in our 4-3?

He's 250...   couldn't he grow into a DE?  Put on 10-15 pounds over a year or two?

Thats where my mind goes with Carter.

Thoughts?

Oh most definitely.  If he shows that ability and can learn I would be fine with him on the edge.  He doesn't even need to add much size really.  Just learn technique and moves and use the speed and length.

I think Georgia just from reading a couple small articles and without me going back to watch some more film used Carter similar to Leonard Floyd. The difference is carter doesn't bring as much ability wise as a pass rusher in terms of natural ability that Leonard Floyd came with.   Carter appears to have done everything from standing up as an off ball LB, to edge rushing, covering backs and tight ends.    He is a very good athlete overall.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/3/4/17053060/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-lorenzo-carter-olb-georgia-scouting-report-ny-giants