Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cut Manning, Don't Sit Luck!

Grav

I said it before I will say it again.

Harbaugh was an average QB. We took a gamble on Peyton and it paid off. Peyton was definitely gonna become average at the least.

Right now we are gambling with replacing a superstar HOF'er who is ticked off and had 4 more elite years left.

So, yeah, not the same thing.

PM did not play one single game last season because of his multiple neck surgeries, from which he is still rehabilitating, such that we still don't know if he can throw at an NFL level yet. We can take a gamble on Luck, and it may pay off. Andrew will definitely be at least an average QB, that can throw at an NFL level.

Right now we are gambling with replacing a FHOFer that has uncertain ability, and unsure longevity. I think it is a good gamble.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck has to become a star or a superstar. Anything less is a bust.

Would you be happy if Luck turns out to be just average?

Yes, if Luck turns out to be average, that would certainly be better than having a QB whose arm is uncertain to be able to throw at the NFL level.

Yes, if Luck turns out to be average, that would certainly be better than having a QB whose arm is uncertain to be able to throw at the NFL level.

he is cleared to play by the doctors who performed the operations. 100% healthy.

I can care less what the Colts doctors say, they did not do the operation, they have 0 clue.

he is cleared to play by the doctors who performed the operations. 100% healthy.

I can care less what the Colts doctors say, they did not do the operation, they have 0 clue.

LOL. Then you have no idea what you are talking about, or what the doctors who did the spinal fusion were talking about. You see, there is a difference between given medical clearance to go out on the field and be able to take a football tackle and being able to throw the ball at an NFL level.

The spinal fusion that PM underwent was to fuse his C7 vertebrae to alleviate the pressure and the resultant damage it had on the nerve that innervated his throwing arm's triceps. The spinal fusion was successful, and the bones have fused, alleviating the pressure. However, the damaged nerve still need to regenerate. The doctors who performed the spinal fusion did not say anything about the nerve regenerating,

Overrated. I can't say it any plainer than that.

He played nothing but bad defenses and did not lead the country statistically doing so.

cant wait till he is starting next year, just knowing that you are sizzling in your seat in anger.

Here's what I think:

From what we've seen in the past, making a guy like Luck sit on the bench isn't a bad idea, it actually could be better for the Colts down the line. Young and Rodgers, two QBs that were in exact situation as Luck, said that sitting behind their HOF QB made them a better QB and it was invaluable time for them. If sitting Luck makes him reach his full potential, then sit him until Manning retires. If Manning is gone, the Colts will still have a rookie QB coming in, and odds are, he won't be putting up elite QB numbers, so lets bring back our elite QB and milk him for everything he's got and then let our rested backup come in and have an immediate impact. If Luck plays now, he won't have the same impact that Manning has.

Bottomline, the Colts have a better chance of winning with Manning. So play him until he retires then let Luck play.

the thing is Rodgers and Luck were not in an exact same position. Rodgers was not ready, Luck is at a better level than Rodgers was leaving college

Injury prone?? did you really just say peyton is injury prone??

Manning is injury prone? Nevermind I thought there could be a serious discussion in this thread but I see now that is not possible.

Injury prone was the wrong word to use, with the uncertainty over his current health is what I

should have said

oh and we are on page 3 and the OP has not even one poster that "liked" your post. Phallacy doesnt get likes.

Mate since when is the point of posting on here to make sure somebody likes your post, this is a forum for people's own opinions or personal views, nobody has to agree with anything, when i signed up it wasn't to get a 'like this" after every post, it was to give my opinion and own views.

Just for the record I am a huge Manning and Colts fan, I only want whats best for the franchise, we need to move on and I believe thats whats going to happen.

So nobody call me out for not being a Manning fan etc... disgusting the way some of you are saying that kind of stuff, I like Manning but first of all I am a COLTS fan and I want whats best for our franchise to move on.

Ummm, I love Captain Comeback, but at no point in his career was he the QB that Peyton IS..

So, tell me if you can, what is the QB that PM is right now? Can he throw the ball at NFL level? Can he throw the ball better than 49er Coach Harbaugh right now?

From my information, we don't know.

So, tell me if you can, what is the QB that PM is right now? Can he throw the ball at NFL level? Can he throw the ball better than 49er Coach Harbaugh right now?

Yes he can.. Anyone want to bet against it?? He willl be putting up pro bowl numbers somewhere next year..

I see. And on what information do you base this besides your wishful hopes?

I saw a video of him throwing a couple days ago.. His arm strength was never his best asset. His ability to read defenses and react is. Unless he had a 6th procedure that included a frontal lobotomy, he will be just fine..

I saw a video of him throwing a couple days ago.. His arm strength was never his best asset. His ability to read defenses and react is. Unless he had a 6th procedure that included a frontal lobotomy, he will be just fine..

just read this from another forum,

"Personally I don't see how they can justify taking the cap hit on a 36 year old coming off 4 surgeries, over a year without playing a snap, and 30 seconds of grainy tape from Duke University. Well they can't.

We all love Peyton but the past is the past. Every team with an all time great qb has had to move on and now its's our turn. Though Skipp Bayless would have you believe otherwise. Not drafting Luck and starting to build the team around him for the next 10-15 years would be madness."

what needs to be pointed out is that its a 30 second tape, how did Payton feel after throwing 30 - 40 times?? how did he feel the day after? Is he able to throw 30 to 40 times, all we saw was a 30 second tape

So you base your conclusion that PM is back at his pre-injury level from watching a video of someone (not confirmed as PM) in a white #18 jersey throw the ball 4 times.

I see.

I hope Mr. Irsay does better due diligence.

So you base your conclusion that PM is back at his pre-injury level from watching a video of someone (not confirmed as PM) in a white #18 jersey throw the ball 4 times.

I see.

I hope Mr. Irsay does better due diligence.

And im sure he will, but im willing to bet some serious chedder Peyton will be playing week 1 with someone, i just hope the Colts dont play that team this year..

Don't cut Peyton. If he's not going to be a part of the Colts system anymore, get something for him. He proved in his video that he can still throw the deep ball: Miami is interesed in him: shop him as a trade prospect, and then contact Miami's front office and offer them Peyton for their 1st round pick. If they refuse; offer Arizona Peyton + a 5th round pick for Fitzgerald. If you're parting with Peyton Manning; get some compesation value for him.

Right then lets be brutal, Colts need to cut Manning whatever and start Luck. Andrew Luck does'nt need to sit a year or 2 it will not be of any any benefit to him. Yes Rodgers blah blah blah but he was not as ready as Luck is now. If you sit Luck for a couple of years it will be a total waste! Didn't Manning himself say that the best way to learn is to play. Sorry but its time to move on

It is the best way to learn. But getting sacked 50 times a year is not. How about...and i know this may seem ridiculous to some people.. we start the best QB in the league, and let the rookie hold the clipboard for 2-3 years. As you all say we got 12 years of Luck QBing the Colts (if he lives up to the hype) why force him into the lineup and watch him struggle with a mediocre team. No sorry a horrible team because remember if Peyton goes, so to does Garcon, Reggie, Saturday will retire and Mathis will have more reason to test FA. Holding the clipboard doesnt take years away from his career. Again as you all say Peyton only has a few more years, but those few years could be the greatest yet at best and at the least will be "Peyton Manning" type years. We can go through this rebuilding phase and still be contenders if we have Peyton, but with Luck our rebuilding phase will look like the typical rebuilding phase. How many other franchise's get this opportunity? Why blow it by letting either of these guys slip through our fingers.

Answer is simple. Sign Peyton, draft Luck. Done. We dont have to trade the pick, we dont have to cut manning. We can have the best QB in the league starting and the best prospect learning. Anything else is just a blatant foolish decision. Period.

Right then lets be brutal, Colts need to cut Manning whatever and start Luck. Andrew Luck does'nt need to sit a year or 2 it will not be of any any benefit to him. Yes Rodgers blah blah blah but he was not as ready as Luck is now. If you sit Luck for a couple of years it will be a total waste! Didn't Manning himself say that the best way to learn is to play. Sorry but its time to move on

Cut Manning and the Colts are out of Luck. As a Peyton fan, I say cut him so he has the opportunity to play for a good team.

Don't cut Peyton. If you're going to part ways with him; get some value out of the deal. Peyton is still worth a first round draft pick; if simply for his knowledge of the game.

They cant trade him if they dont pay the 28 mill bonus..

Duke University has confirmed that the video was of Peyton throwing. It does not prove he can last 30-40 snaps but does prove he is progressing. We all know Peyton is the hardest working player in the NFL. He is not going to stop. He has how many months left? I'm not worried about him playing at all, just want it to be for the Colts. I know we probably won't have him. I understand the reasons but it doesn't mean I have to agree or like it. I wish they would come up with a deal to have him and Luck. Let Peyton play out his last days as a Colt. Doesn't he deserve to end his career in his stadium. Doesn't he deserve to be at home with all us fans giving him a standing ovation for everything he has done?

That's what Im saying..K-girl

IN 2015..Luck will be better than Peyton Manning.

But I want to win next year..and rookies need time to adjust...

For decades //rookie QBs sat on the bench and nobody said 'boo'

Its better for the Colts if Manning is the QB next September and its better for Luck if he watches the first season.

Mark please stop

this has been discussed a million times

Only 1 QB taken #1 overall has ever sat in the SB ERA (Carson Palmer). You can't just say 'rookie QB' because that could be a 6th rounder or the 1st overall pick. I don't think Luck is a 6th rounder. I like your posts but not when they aren't accurate.

no. YOU don't know.

Obviously Peyton knows something. he would have retired already if he thought what you think.

And im sure he will, but im willing to bet some serious chedder Peyton will be playing week 1 with someone, i just hope the Colts dont play that team this year..

right on the money..

I will never get tired of saying this. If he knew he can't play no more he would have retired already.