Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cut Manning, Don't Sit Luck!

Grav

Not saying we can't cut Manning. I'm just saying we can keep him. If he's healthy and the Colts want him the cap is not an issue, particularly with the rookie cap being what it is.

Yes, it's not a cap issue as much as a 'when to play Luck' issue. How about Luck plays when he can beat out Peyton?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Manning fan, so dont think that I am just trying to stir things up, its called being realistic about things guys

If Peyton is able to be Peyton, why would anyone want to get rid of him? The 28 mill is ridiculous, and i thought so even before i knew about the fusion. I think they can work something out..

He wasnt the same player either.. He had lost alot before the 49ers cut him..

You might want to go look at his time with the Raiders...he might not have been as good as he was San Fran but he was still one of the better WR's in the NFL.

Frankly if you want to compare Manning to something I think comparing Rice going to the Raiders would be like Manning going wherever if the Colts don't bring him back. Probably a couple of really good years left and then probably entering the end of his career where he wasn't as good as he once was.

You might want to go look at his time with the Raiders...he might not have been as good as he was San Fran but he was still one of the better WR's in the NFL.

Frankly if you want to compare Manning to something I think comparing Rice going to the Raiders would be like Manning going wherever if the Colts don't bring him back. Probably a couple of really good years left and then probably entering the end of his career where he wasn't as good as he once was.

He still had skills for sure.. The niners were also in cap heck and purged alot of players

Yes, it's not a cap issue as much as a 'when to play Luck' issue. How about Luck plays when he can beat out Peyton?

Lets say we keep Manning and pay him the 28million and Luck DOES beat him out in camp. That is extremely detrimental. It's not even about Luck. What if ANY qb beats out Manning in camp. I know everyone thinks that would never happen but we don't know how Manning will return until gameday.

I firmy believe they will cut Manning and offer him a lesser contract. Then it will be up to Manning if he wants to join the Colts or look elsewhere. There is no way they are paying him that 28million.

He still had skills for sure.. The niners were also in cap heck and purged alot of players

Which goes back to what I first responded to the guy about he said there is always room for a HOF player under the sallary cap. I was sighting Jerry Rice as an example of a time that wasn't true.

Which goes back to what I first responded to the guy about he said there is always room for a HOF player under the sallary cap. I was sighting citing Jerry Rice as an example of a time that wasn't true.

That is true....perhaps it would be more correct for Gonzo to say that there's always room under the salary cap for a HOF player IF you want that HOF player to return to your team.

Lets say we keep Manning and pay him the 28million and Luck DOES beat him out in camp. That is extremely detrimental. It's not even about Luck. What if ANY qb beats out Manning in camp. I know everyone thinks that would never happen but we don't know how Manning will return until gameday.

I firmy believe they will cut Manning and offer him a lesser contract. Then it will be up to Manning if he wants to join the Colts or look elsewhere. There is no way they are paying him that 28million.

Here's my scenario (or my wish list): There will be a negotiation and Peyton will sign with a cap friendly deal as possible, with both parties saving face. That only happen if Peyton is healthy by virtue of the trainers and medical staff determination.

Then, by time camp starts, he's back to Peyton. If it gets that far, I think that there's little doubt who would win the QB competition.

I don't care about the money, it's not coming out of my pocket. And it's not like it's a 28M cut off the cap either.

If Peyton is healthy and can play then we need to keep him! If you already have the best then keep him! As long as they agree on a deal then why does it matter? I say rookies have not earned a right to take over Peytons Place, just my opinion though.

Perhaps we should move forward in time until Luck is capable of playing at a high level in the NFL? If you begin a strict and heavy sleeping pill regimen for the next two years, you will awaken with a full beard and a QB that can get us into the post-season.

Aside from time travel, I suggest we take the middle ground and opt for both.

This is the simplest truth.

For $28MM, you can pay for all 4 years of Luck/RG3, and still have $5MM left over.

For $28MM, you can pay for all 4 years of Luck/RG3, and still have $5MM left over.

Sounds fine to me. It would take either one of those boys 4 years to do what Manning can in one year, so........sounds like a good deal.

Totally agree, that's why L1 is a better than a broken RG3.....

4 days to go. +5 hrs for me....

Thursday is it.

At that time, I wonder how many "I told you so" threads will spring up as whatever side tries to gloat about their prophetic knowledge of all things Manning?

When I'm proven right I'm going to sit quietly and thumb my nose at the monitor. IF I am proven wrong (yea right, like thats gonna happen) I'll sit quietly and thumb my nose at the monitor.

Thursday is it.

At that time, I wonder how many "I told you so" threads will spring up as whatever side tries to gloat about their prophetic knowledge of all things Manning?

When I'm proven right I'm going to sit quietly and thumb my nose at the monitor. IF I am proven wrong (yea right, like thats gonna happen) I'll sit quietly and thumb my nose at the monitor.

I can't even remember what we are trying to prove anymore......is it 'we should fire Polian' or Caldwell? Is that it?

Right then lets be brutal, Colts need to cut Manning whatever and start Luck. Andrew Luck does'nt need to sit a year or 2 it will not be of any any benefit to him. Yes Rodgers blah blah blah but he was not as ready as Luck is now. If you sit Luck for a couple of years it will be a total waste! Didn't Manning himself say that the best way to learn is to play. Sorry but its time to move on

Great idea, lets take a top 3 (if not the best by the time he retires) quarterback cut him and start a rookie.

Thursday is it.

Well, I've said before that I think Peyton will restructure or he will be cut. One thing I have personally guaranteed is that he will not get his 28 million dollar bonus. Im still of the opinion that it makes absolutely no sense for Manning or the Colts for him to remain here. I think his best chance for another championship is somewhere other than Indy and I think deep down Manning knows that. I don't care about being right or wrong, I just want all this nonsense to stop and it can't come soon enough for me.

I can't even remember what we are trying to prove anymore......is it 'we should fire Polian' or Caldwell? Is that it?

No. I think we're trying to argue a case for whether or not Painter should start this Sunday?

Remember those days? Good times!

Well, I've said before that I think Peyton will restructure or he will be cut. One thing I have personally guaranteed is that he will not get his 28 million dollar bonus. Im still of the opinion that it makes absolutely no sense for Manning or the Colts for him to remain here. I think his best chance for another championship is somewhere other than Indy and I think deep down Manning knows that. I don't care about being right or wrong, I just want all this nonsense to stop and it can't come soon enough for me.

I believe he will restructure and the thinking on the colts side is to part ways with Manning after 2 years to allow Luck to step-up.

Great idea, lets take a top 3 (if not the best by the time he retires) quarterback cut him and start a rookie.

Mate, the guy is not healthy and he is getting paid way too much for somebody is injury prone, if he wants to re-struct his contratct then fine great but we have to look to the future now.

Right then lets be brutal, Colts need to cut Manning whatever and start Luck. Andrew Luck does'nt need to sit a year or 2 it will not be of any any benefit to him. Yes Rodgers blah blah blah but he was not as ready as Luck is now. If you sit Luck for a couple of years it will be a total waste! Didn't Manning himself say that the best way to learn is to play. Sorry but its time to move on

This is a serious question.

Do you think a rookie Luck is better than Manning?

Mate, the guy is not healthy and he is getting paid way too much for somebody is injury prone, if he wants to re-struct his contratct then fine great but we have to look to the future now.

Manning is injury prone? Nevermind I thought there could be a serious discussion in this thread but I see now that is not possible.

I agree, it would be a waste.

trade him

This is a serious question.

Do you think a rookie Luck is better than Manning?

Serious answers:

History:

1) In 2010, no. I think PM was better than Luck. This is pre-surgery PM, even though Luck was putting up big performances to get his team to a BCS bowl game.

2) In 2011, yes, I think PM was not able to play, and Luck was putting up big performances to get his team to a BCS bowl game.

Future projection:

3) In 2012, unsure. I think PM, rehabbing aggressively from his injury represents a big unknown, while Luck's transition to the NFL is also an unknown.

4) In 2013, yes, I think as PM ages (37) and Luck improves beyond his rookie year, Luck will be better.

5) In 2014, yes, I think as PM ages (38) and Luck improves, Luck will be better.

6) In 2015, yes, I think as PM ages (38) and Luck improves, Luck will be better.

7) In 2016, yes, I think as PM ages (39) and Luck improves, Luck will be better.

8) In 2017, yes, I think as PM ages (40) and Luck improves, Luck will be better.

9) In 2018, yes, I think as PM ages (41) and Luck improves, Luck will be better.

10) In 2019, yes, I think as PM ages (42) and Luck improves, Luck will be better.

11) In 2020, yes, I think as PM ages (43) and Luck improves, Luck will be better.

etc.

Injury prone?? did you really just say peyton is injury prone??

Serious answers:

History:

1) In 2010, no. I think PM was better than Luck. This is pre-surgery PM, even though Luck was putting up big performances to get his team to a BCS bowl game.

2) In 2011, yes, I think PM was not able to play, and Luck was putting up big performances to get his team to a BCS bowl game.

Future projection:

3) In 2012, unsure. I think PM, rehabbing aggressively from his injury represents a big unknown, while Luck's transition to the NFL is also an unknown.

4) In 2013, yes, I think as PM ages (37) and Luck improves beyond his rookie year, Luck will be better.

5) In 2014, yes, I think as PM ages (38) and Luck improves, Luck will be better.

6) In 2015, yes, I think as PM ages (38) and Luck improves, Luck will be better.

7) In 2016, yes, I think as PM ages (39) and Luck improves, Luck will be better.

8) In 2017, yes, I think as PM ages (40) and Luck improves, Luck will be better.

9) In 2018, yes, I think as PM ages (41) and Luck improves, Luck will be better.

10) In 2019, yes, I think as PM ages (42) and Luck improves, Luck will be better.

11) In 2020, yes, I think as PM ages (43) and Luck improves, Luck will be better.

etc.

Wow, he put up bug numbers in the PAC 12.. So did Ryan Leaf.. How did that turn out?

Leaf had a talented team. Luck had scrubs.

It doesnt really matter.. My point is there have been plenty of guys who put up big numbers in college and flop in the NFL.. Using his college numbers as a way to compare him peyton isnt relevant.

he wasn't healthy the last few months but he is much better now and improving daily according to the reports recently. At least he keeps us winning while Luck learns the difference between playing there (college) and playing here (NFL).

Here's what I think:

From what we've seen in the past, making a guy like Luck sit on the bench isn't a bad idea, it actually could be better for the Colts down the line. Young and Rodgers, two QBs that were in exact situation as Luck, said that sitting behind their HOF QB made them a better QB and it was invaluable time for them. If sitting Luck makes him reach his full potential, then sit him until Manning retires. If Manning is gone, the Colts will still have a rookie QB coming in, and odds are, he won't be putting up elite QB numbers, so lets bring back our elite QB and milk him for everything he's got and then let our rested backup come in and have an immediate impact. If Luck plays now, he won't have the same impact that Manning has.

Bottomline, the Colts have a better chance of winning with Manning. So play him until he retires then let Luck play.

Coffee - do you think that really matters now?

Personally, I don't really believe that is a relevant question at this point.

To the poster or for the Colts? My question was only to the poster; not related to what I think the Colts should or what I think they will do.

Luck is a much better prospect than Leaf.

Luck rates higher than Leaf rated, or even PM rated as a draft prospect.

Rating means very little until you prove something in the NFL. There have been alot of "cant miss" prospects fall on their face in the NFL.

Serious answers:

History:

Even with Manning's injury he had as many NFL wins as Luck so that really doesn't mean anything.
Future projection:

etc.

That's nice, but it's really nothing more than speculation, it's not really a serious answer. You have no idea if Luck will improve any year nor if Luck will be better than a 43 year old Manning.