Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Two New Media Stars I think you will Enjoy!

NewColtsFan

I'm shocked at the news that Fox Sports has hired John Fox.    Seems like the most bizarre fit.    Fox Sports is typicall very cutting edge.     And John Fox, is,  well......   not.

That said....

Two new guys for you to watch for that I think you'll really enjoy.

First.....     Steve Smith.    The fomer 5'9" feisty WR from Carolina and Baltimore.   He seemingly played angry with 100 pound chips on his shoulders.    Lots of bad attitude on the field.      Now retired,   he's a delight to listen to.     He was a star the week of the combine.    Lots of fun personality for the NFL Network.  During the 40 yard dash for the RB's,  as Royce Freeman was ripping off some 4.5's,  Smith quipped that defensive players do NOT like trying to tackle Freeman.    That linebackers and Safety's don't like to,  and especially Cornerbacks.   Smith was off-camera,  but you could hear his voice....    and when he said, "Cornerbacks HATE trying to tackle Freeman.   They have to make CAREER BUSINESS DECISIONS when they decide to tackle him!"   you could hear Mike Mayock and Rich Eisen laugh hysterically at the line!   Really fun to listen to.    A really likeable guy.   

Then, right after the combine,  Smith wrote a story for NFL.com about 5 WR's that are under the radar but could be very good pros.    He said who they were and why they were good.    He didn't do the easy and obvious story about who were the five BEST WR's at the combine.    No,  he did five guys you don't know but might soon know really well.    A really good read.

So,  Smith is someone to look for.

As is another former player.   (At least,  I think he's retired?)    Anyone remember Chris Canty?    The giant DL who played about 10 years.    He came from a top academic school,  Virginia.   And he sounds like it.   First,  he has a great voice.    Maybe not James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman.    But a great voice that you want to hear more of.   Second,  he does not speak in cliches like many athletes do.    You may not always agree with him,  but when you listen to him you'll at least think this is a guy who has given the issue/topic some serious thought and he expresses himself well.  So well spoken.   So articulate.   You want to hear more from him.    He was filling-in on the new Golic & Wingo show and he was great to listen to.   I think I read that he also has a radio show in New York City.   But I expect to see him more and more on ESPN.  

I hope both men will be on your radar and you'll give them a good listen.   I think you'll enjoy their professional work.     They may be former jocks,  but these are NOT former dumb jocks.     No,  just the opposite.    Just sharp.    Enjoy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm shocked at the news that Fox Sports has hired John Fox.    Seems like the most bizarre fit.    Fox Sports is typicall very cutting edge.     And John Fox, is,  well......   not.

That said....

First.....     Steve Smith.    The fomer 5'9" feisty WR from Carolina and Baltimore.   He seemingly played angry with 100 pound chips on his shoulders.    Lots of bad attitude on the field.      Now retired,   he's a delight to listen to.     He was a star the week of the combine.    Lots of fun personality.    During the 40 yard dash for the RB's,  as Royce Freeman was ripping off some 4.5's,  Smith quipped that defensive players do NOT like trying to tackle Freeman.    That linebackers and Safety's don't like to,  and especially Cornerbacks.   Smith was off-camera,  but you could hear his voice....    and when he said, "Cornerbacks HATE trying to tackle Freeman.   They have to make CAREER BUSINESS DECISIONS when they come to tackle him!"   you could hear Mike Mayock and Rich Eisen laugh hysterically at the line!   Really fun to listen to.    A really likeable guy.   

Then, right after the combine,  Smith wrote a story for NFL.com about 5 WR's that are under the radar but could be very good pros.    He said who they were and why they were good.    He didn't do the easy and obvious story about who were the five BEST WR's at the combine.    No,  he did five guys you don't know but might soon know really well.    A really good read.

As is another former player.   (At least,  I think he's retired?)    Anyone remember Chris Canty?    The giant DL who played about 10 years.    He came from a top academic school,  Virginia.    And he sounds like it.     First,  he has a great voice.    Maybe not James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman.    But a great voice that you want to hear more of.    Second,  he does not speak in cliches like many athletes do.    You may not always agree with him,  but when you listen to him you'll at least think this is a guy who has given the issue/topic some serious thought and he expresses himself so well.    So well spoken.    So articulate.     You want to hear more from him.     He was filling-in on the new Golic & Wingo show and he was great to listen to.   I think I read that he also has a radio show in New York City.    But I expect to see him more and more on ESPN.  

I hope both men will be on your radar and you'll give them a good listen.    I think you'll enjoy their professional work.     They may be former jocks,  but these are NOT former dumb jocks.     No,  just the opposite.    Just sharp.    Enjoy!

Wow, you go out of your way to slam Fox?  It's not like he is going to be a game announcer or a main host.  Where did all the animosity come from? Just curious.  

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wow, you go out of your way to slam Fox?  It's not like he is going to be a game announcer or a main host.  Where did all the animosity come from? Just curious.  

Huh?   

Animosity?     What the.....???

All I said was that he's not exactly cutting edge and that he seemed a poor fit with Fox Sports.   He does.

Hey...   he'll probably do fine.   I'm sure they tested him and he did well.   But Fox seems more corporate and diplomatic.   Fox Sports seems more cutting edge and looking to appeal to a younger demographic.   Didn't strike me as a natural fit.   There's no animosity here.   Just professional observations.

That's all.    Nothing more.    Really. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   

All I said was that he's not exactly cutting edge and that he seemed a poor fit with Fox Sports.   He does.

Hey...   he'll probably do fine.   I'm sure they tested him and he did well.   But Fox seems more corporate and diplomatic.   Fox Sports seems more cutting edge and looking to appeal to a younger demographic.   Didn't strike me as a natural fit.   There's no animosity here.   Just professional observations.

Well maybe animosity was not the correct word to use but I think you get my meaning. Maybe pessimistic or negative would have been a better use?

Look, I don't have a clue as to what Fox is going to bring but he has a small limited roll in what he will be doing. Pre judgments should be reserved. What you seen in his press conferences or when a mic was stuck in his face are totally different than in a controlled set. That's the only point I was attempting to make.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That said....

First.....     Steve Smith.    The fomer 5'9" feisty WR from Carolina and Baltimore.   He seemingly played angry with 100 pound chips on his shoulders.    Lots of bad attitude on the field.      Now retired,   he's a delight to listen to.     He was a star the week of the combine.    Lots of fun personality.    During the 40 yard dash for the RB's,  as Royce Freeman was ripping off some 4.5's,  Smith quipped that defensive players do NOT like trying to tackle Freeman.    That linebackers and Safety's don't like to,  and especially Cornerbacks.   Smith was off-camera,  but you could hear his voice....    and when he said, "Cornerbacks HATE trying to tackle Freeman.   They have to make CAREER BUSINESS DECISIONS when they come to tackle him!"   you could hear Mike Mayock and Rich Eisen laugh hysterically at the line!   Really fun to listen to.    A really likeable guy.   

As is another former player.   (At least,  I think he's retired?)    Anyone remember Chris Canty?    The giant DL who played about 10 years.    He came from a top academic school,  Virginia.    And he sounds like it.     First,  he has a great voice.    Maybe not James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman.    But a great voice that you want to hear more of.    Second,  he does not speak in cliches like many athletes do.    You may not always agree with him,  but when you listen to him you'll at least think this is a guy who has given the issue/topic some serious thought and he expresses himself so well.    So well spoken.    So articulate.     You want to hear more from him.     He was filling-in on the new Golic & Wingo show and he was great to listen to.   I think I read that he also has a radio show in New York City.    But I expect to see him more and more on ESPN.  

I hope both men will be on your radar and you'll give them a good listen.    I think you'll enjoy their professional work.     They may be former jocks,  but these are NOT former dumb jocks.     No,  just the opposite.    Just sharp.    Enjoy!

I really like Steve Smith, his "Football Life" was a great watch too.

You can still see that fire in him as well, like the clip of him telling Irvin he was gonna whoop him next time he saw him because Irvin made a comment about Smith's clothes.  Everyone else was laughing and Smith's eyes were ice cold! haha

I admit I don't know much about the other guy but will look out for him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That said....

I like Canty a lot -- very intelligent guy indeed. I hear him a lot on weekends, but he has a radio show in NY called "Humpty and Canty" on weekdays during which I am at work. I am unable to listen to that show unless I have the day off. (Humpty is former NY Islanders Goalie Rick Dipietro). 

I am not a big fan of Steve Smith. He seems like too much of a loud mouth.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I like Canty a lot -- very intelligent guy indeed. I hear him a lot on weekends, but he has a radio show in NY called "Humpty and Canty" on weekdays during which I am at work. I am unable to listen to that show unless I have the day off. (Humpty is former NY Inslanders Goalie Rick Dipietro). 

I am not a big fan of Steve Smith. He seems like too much of a loud mouth.

I've only heard a bit of both of them but they both did a good job from what I heard. Smith wasn't too over the top like his on field persona.

So are you going to change your profile pic to Cousins...or Simien lol. At least you can still follow Teddy in NY although I'm afraid he is going to get stuck behind guys for another year. I wish he went to a better situation.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I've only heard a bit of both of them but they both did a good job from what I heard. Smith wasn't too over the top like his on field persona.

So are you going to change your profile pic to Cousins...or Simien lol. At least you can still follow Teddy in NY although I'm afraid he is going to get stuck behind guys for another year. I wish he went to a better situation.

I tried to change my profile pic about a week ago, but instead, I accidentally changed the background picture. I could not reverse the change. I was disappointed because I liked the background pic I had. I will change the avatar eventually but it won't be a picture of a player.

As for Teddy, he may not play again, but I hope I'm wrong. It sounds like the knee is worse than we all thought.  Both he and the GM made comments in the last few days that left everyone wondering if his knee is well enough to allow him to play.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   

I was listening to the "around the NFL" podcast and they described Fox as a life of the party type when in social situations.  Who would have thought....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I tried to change my profile pic about a week ago, but instead, I accidentally changed the background picture. I could not reverse the change. I was disappointed because I liked the background pic I had. I will change the avatar eventually but it won't be a picture of a player.

As for Teddy, he may not play again, but I hope I'm wrong. It sounds like the knee is worse than we all thought.  Both he and the GM made comments in the last few days that left everyone wondering if his knee is well enough to allow him to play.

Oh...dang I hadn't heard that. Makes a lot of sense why they didn't keep him in Minnesota then. I wondered why they didn't at least re-sign him to back up Cousins. Hate to hear that!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh...dang I hadn't heard that. Makes a lot of sense why they didn't keep him in Minnesota then. I wondered why they didn't at least re-sign him to back up Cousins. Hate to hear that!

Zimmer wanted Teddy back but he said the medical staff did not feel comfortable with the knee.

Quote:

“Well, I thought he was doing good in practice. The reports I’d get back from the medical people weren’t as positive as I was,” Zimmer said Tuesday at the NFL annual meetings.

“That’s kind of how it came down. They said his knee wasn’t — they saw there was some recovery he needed to do. But when I watched him in practice, he moved well. I didn’t see limitations, but from what I was told, there were some.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2018/03/27/mike-zimmer-vikings-medical-staff-worried-teddy-bridgewater-knee/461535002/

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

What, no Captain Kirk Avatar? By the way today is Matt Harvey's Birthday :thmup:

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

I was listening to the "around the NFL" podcast and they described Fox as a life of the party type when in social situations.  Who would have thought....

Great!     Love it!     Hey, I'd love to be wrong here.     I have nothing against the guy.   As I said in a previous post, I'm sure Fox Sports tested him and he did great. I based my opinion on what he had exhibited in media interviews while he was a head coach.    I never saw much personality there.    If he's got it, (and apparently he does) then great for him.

As you said....   Who knew?!?