Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts declined trade overtures for QB Jacoby Brissett

1 minute ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Luck is fine oh boy Brad Kaaya Yuppie??:spit: He could lead us to the promise land?

Ugh...... 

Back Up?

Just checking to see if there is a brain up there old boy 

14 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I was glad to hear this...it suggests that other teas Jacoby as valuable and it shows him that we have confidence in him if we need him.

Plus...I didn't want to trade him.. When you get a good, low-cost backup, you don't look to trade him until he's about to become a high-cost backup

That strategy didn't work out to well for the Pats and JG.  They could have gotten a 1st. for him if they moved sooner. The way I look at it is that it's better to trade him when he is in demand, like now, and he has a cheap contract for the acquiring team. If he works out great for them and they deal with resigning him.  If he doesn't it only cost them a pick.  A lot of things could go south in two years regarding his playing time or performance or injury.  And if he's healthy  we have to decide to pay him or let him hit FA  or trade him.  The advantage goes to the acquiring team and we have to settle for a lower pick like the Pats did for JG.  Heck even the Pats might want him back.  I don't think he will come cheap like some seem to believe. Two suitors already and now we have put the word out.  It's called posturing.  It appears like we now trying to create another trade opportunity.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

A reminder...   the Philadelphia Eagles just won the Super Bowl with their back-up quarterback.    Something NO ONE predicted was even possible.

I'm not saying Brissett is as good as Nick Foles.  I'm only saying having a good back up is very important to any NFL team.    The Colts have a good  back up on a cheap rookie contract with two more years to go.    We need Brissett this year.   We can still trade him next year if we want.

The Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, Redskins, Colts and Rams all won a Super Bowl with their back up QBs. I think there are other teams but those are the ones I can think of right now. Keep the kid. He will only get better.  We need talent on our roster. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Alex22 said:

Ugh...... 

Back Up?

Just checking to see if there is a brain up there old boy 

I know we haven't even seen Kaaya throw a pass in a Colts uniform?? I think I will wait on anointing him the backup just yet. Wondering if there is a brain out there.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I know we haven't even seen Kaaya throw a pass in a Colts uniform?? I think I will wait on anointing him the backup just yet. Wondering if there is a brain out there.

An inside source told me he saw Kaaya throwing and looking good while doing it. 

Believes Kaaya has potential to be an average NFL starter. 

1 minute ago, Alex22 said:

I believe what I see, in games!! We we all see come  pre season. Kaaya had better hope so because will the Colts carry 3 QB's probably not, Bressett isn't going anywhere, and the Colts like the I believe like Phillip Walker as well. Kaaya will have his hands full just to be the #3 guy and make the team let alone be #2 behind Luck.

5 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

Watched him a lot in college . He was inconsistent.  But had all the tools .Should have stayed at Miami for development.  They would have at least made the CFP. 

Just now, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I believe what I see, in games!! We will all see come  pre season. Kaaya had better hope so because will the Colts carry 3 QB's probably not, Bressett isn't going anywhere, and the Colts like the I believe like Phillip Walker as well. Kaaya will have his hands full just to be the #3 guy and make the team let alone be #2 behind Luck.

4 hours ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Have to imagine trading him would hurt our market for trading down in the first.

100%

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I actually have said this here before that I think we should trade Brisett now when he has value as long as we feel Luck is going to be ready.  I have always preferred a veteran backup if Luck is healthy and especially if we improve the OL which I clearly believe will happen this year.  If they really feel Luck is going to be fine the best time to do it would be now when his performance last year is fresh in everybody's mind.  The fact that a few offers have been made makes my point.  I originally thought Buffalo could have been one of the teams until they traded Tyrod and are now moving up. If their quest to move up blows up somehow he could still be an option for them.  I actually thought the Eagles would have been a team too if they traded Foles for some great picks and they acquire Brisett as their backup and give us their 1st actually sort of a 2nd.  Lots of possibilities.  Brisett is a proven young starter unlike some of these QB's that these teams are going to reach for.  If he doesn't play this year he value will decline from where it is now IMO. 

Jimmy G sat for years despite teams wanting to trade for him and they still managed to get a 2nd for him. AJ McCarron was said to have had offers for high draft picks and all he's done is ride the bench. Brissett's value won't fall if he's on the bench for a season. Teams know what he brings to the table. Like it was said above, trading him now would actually hurt the trade value for our #6 pick. Once the draft is over, there may be a team or two that weren't able to get their guys in the draft and will offer up even more to get Brissett. It's a good move for us to keep him for now with Luck's uncertainty and to help trade value.

1 hour ago, Alex22 said:

Best time is after the draft in the lead up to the season when teams go into panic mode ala Sam Bradford for a first round pick 

Also, this.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I was glad to hear this...it suggests that other teams view Jacoby as valuable and it shows him that we have confidence in him if we need him.

Plus...I didn't want to trade him.. When you get a good, low-cost backup, you don't look to trade him until he's about to become a high-cost backup

Yes, I agree!

16 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

The Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, Redskins, Colts and Rams all won a Super Bowl with their back up QBs. I think there are other teams but those are the ones I can think of right now. Keep the kid. He will only get better.  We need talent on our roster. 

Giants.

On 3/26/2018 at 6:08 PM, 1959Colts said:

I am not sold on Brissett, even as the backup.

Really? I feel like most of his struggles last year were due to not having enough time to learn the playbook, and absolutely terrible playcalling by our coaching staff. I don't want him starting any games this year for obvious reasons, but I have to think Reich could get the most out of Brissett if it ever came down to that.

• Like 1

I'd personally like to keep Brissett as a backup cuz he proved far more valuable to us than what we actually got him for. If he cant net us atleast a 2nd round pick I'd keep him. The guy is a competent quarterback and can play in this league I mean we all saw what Scott Tolzien could do!!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Really? I feel like most of his struggles last year were due to not having enough time to learn the playbook, and absolutely terrible playcalling by our coaching staff. I don't want him starting any games this year for obvious reasons, but I have to think Reich could get the most out of Brissett if it ever came down to that.

I hope you are right. I hated how indecisive he was to throw the ball and ended up holding on to it too long.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

I hope you are right. I hated how indecisive he was to throw the ball and ended up holding on to it too long.

It was his first full season as an NFL starter, so naturally he looked like a rookie in certain situations. I wouldn't judge him too hard on last year considering all the circumstances that led to him even being in Indy in the first place.

• Like 1

If you think about it The Jets paid us a lot for the 3rd. pick and that was a relatively small jump up.   There are reports they did not even approach the Giants for whatever reason.  If the Bills are going to move up from further back at 12 the price would be enormous to get at 4.  It gets a little better with the Broncos and Colts pick.  Kipers latest mock, FWIW ,has 4 QB's going in the 1st. 5.   Three gone even before the Bills get an opportunity to trade at 4 5 or 6.  If the guy they really want is one of those 1st. 3 they might decide not to move up at all.  They might go to plan B.  If they were one of those two teams inquiring about Brisett as a fall back we could pick at 6 and trade him to them for 22.  They would have Brisett and McCarron to battle it out.  They would still have their 12th and all of their picks.  It would become a cost benefit analysis for them.  They know Brisett can be a young starter with experience and upside vs. the cost to get a 4th. rookie QB off the board.  I think he could be one of their options and they might have been one of the teams kicking the tires. The possibilities are endless.  Time will tell of course. 

This is assuming if Luck will be ready to play this year or if he has another setback and possibly be done. So what does the QB pool look like for next year, And how would the colts approach it during this draft to next year draft. So lets say for the sake of argument luck is done and Brissett is your QB do you look at this year QB pool or next year QB pool in the draft and hope the new coaching staff can make this team a better one through this year draft and better coaching and play calling can get them through this year. So after one year under pagano to me does not define this QB that coaching staff was the worse. they could not get the best out of their players and the play calling was horrendous. So before we start trading away lets see what is up with the franchise QB and his progression, Heck who knows Luck might have to play backup for a while I know people wont like that but it could be.

13 minutes ago, Archangel said:

This is assuming if Luck will be ready to play this year or if he has another setback and possibly be done. So what does the QB pool look like for next year, And how would the colts approach it during this draft to next year draft. So lets say for the sake of argument luck is done and Brissett is your QB do you look at this year QB pool or next year QB pool in the draft and hope the new coaching staff can make this team a better one through this year draft and better coaching and play calling can get them through this year. So after one year under pagano to me does not define this QB that coaching staff was the worse. they could not get the best out of their players and the play calling was horrendous. So before we start trading away lets see what is up with the franchise QB and his progression, Heck who knows Luck might have to play backup for a while I know people wont like that but it could be.

Obviously this is all hypothetical.

If Luck was truly done, they will take this season to evaluate Brissett in Reich's system and then go from there. The focus now is to build up a strong foundation of players and then plug the QB back in (whether that is Luck or someone else).

But in that scenario, depending on how Brissett performs, I think they will either look to address starting QB or a legit backup QB (if they believe Brissett is the guy) next offseason...with the former being much more likely (especially once Reich sees Brissett's lack of touch on short passes).

While drafting a QB is typically ideal, it's very difficult. So I would expect the Colts to explore all avenues, especially with all of the cap space they have.

So I think Foles becomes plan A, B and C. The stars align quite well for that. He hits FA next offseason, the Colts have tons of cap space, Reich loves him, he is still young enough to play well for at least half a decade...and he would help the Colts stay within that three-year window. One call to Foles' agent during this season and I think the Colts would be in a good position...especially after several teams address QB in this draft.

And PHI isn't trading him to a team without his approval. He's earned at least that much...and he will choose where he plays next. So if PHI wanted to trade him, it could be arranged where the Colts compensate PHI in some way for the trouble (nothing crazy like what has been discussed). But given Wentz' recovery, I think Foles stays in PHI this season.

That said, I hope Luck is back and we don't have to go through the process of getting another QB. I really want to see what he can do with Reich.

Depends upon what they where offered.  

I wouldn't let him go for anything less then a 3rd.  So if some team was calling me offering their 6th for Brissett, easily a hard pass.

But if they are offering a 2nd for him, then I'd be kind of mad they didn't take it. 

On 3/26/2018 at 7:24 PM, Alex22 said:

Was it Foles? Or was that Eagles team just the best in the league? 

Foles has a lot of tape out there and his stint with the Rams shows he may not be a great QB without a great team and coach  

Foles is not a great qb but he’s a great system quarterback. He’s shown he can excel with the Eagles.

Colts have no reason to trade Brissett for less than a 2nd Rd pick. If/ when he made it to FA, he would net us a 3rd Rd Comp pick.

We can trade him to NE for a couple 1st when TB12 goes down for good. :dunno:

On 3/28/2018 at 4:30 PM, richard pallo said:

If you think about it The Jets paid us a lot for the 3rd. pick and that was a relatively small jump up.   There are reports they did not even approach the Giants for whatever reason.  If the Bills are going to move up from further back at 12 the price would be enormous to get at 4.  It gets a little better with the Broncos and Colts pick.  Kipers latest mock, FWIW ,has 4 QB's going in the 1st. 5.   Three gone even before the Bills get an opportunity to trade at 4 5 or 6.  If the guy they really want is one of those 1st. 3 they might decide not to move up at all.  They might go to plan B.  If they were one of those two teams inquiring about Brisett as a fall back we could pick at 6 and trade him to them for 22.  They would have Brisett and McCarron to battle it out.  They would still have their 12th and all of their picks.  It would become a cost benefit analysis for them.  They know Brisett can be a young starter with experience and upside vs. the cost to get a 4th. rookie QB off the board.  I think he could be one of their options and they might have been one of the teams kicking the tires. The possibilities are endless.  Time will tell of course. 

I agree and a very good idea. If we could get there 22nd for Bissett if I was Ballard I'd be all over that. 

On 3/28/2018 at 11:12 AM, Grind Hard said:

I'd personally like to keep Brissett as a backup cuz he proved far more valuable to us than what we actually got him for. If he cant net us atleast a 2nd round pick I'd keep him. The guy is a competent quarterback and can play in this league I mean we all saw what Scott Tolzien could do!!

Don't cut Tolzein short. If he played the Full season, I think he could have got us the #1 Overall Pick!