Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BR Matt Millers latest Mock (3/26) nails it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766224-2018-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-latest-predictions-with-1-month-remaining

Trade back with Bills. Get 12 and 22. Draft Davenport(with Landry, Connor Williams and Derwin James still on the board) and Guice(with Vander Esch, Jaire Alexander, McGlinchey... still on the board) with the picks. The trade is not bad, although I would personally be demanding their 2019 first rather than no. 22. I don't like the picks. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, stitches said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766224-2018-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-latest-predictions-with-1-month-remaining

Trade back with Bills. Get 12 and 22. Draft Davenport(with Landry and Derwin James on the board) and Guice(with Vander Esch, Jaire Alexander, McGlinchey... still on the board) with the picks. The trade is not bad, although I would personally be demanding their 2019 first rather than no. 22. I don't like the picks. 

It would be tons of excitement...followed by instant disappointment. Two 1st round picks...and they end up with a boom-or-bust DE and a RB.

You could have James and Vander Esch after that trade back. The more I read about Vander Esch, the more intrigued I get.

I think SEA, DET, LAR and JAC better be sending Christmas cards to the Colts if the draft fell this way,

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

Trade back with Bills. Get 12 and 22. Draft Davenport(with Landry, Connor Williams and Derwin James still on the board) and Guice(with Vander Esch, Jaire Alexander, McGlinchey... still on the board) with the picks. The trade is not bad, although I would personally be demanding their 2019 first rather than no. 22. I don't like the picks. 

I too would rather next years first, hoping they suck and we can get a top tier defensive lineman.

• Like 2

That isn't good..

I don't like Davenport ANYWHERE in the 1st. They can hype his measurables and potential all they want, but game tape shows he's not ready to play with the grown folks on Sundays.

Guice I could live with at 22, but I think he could be had in the 2nd. 

Two wasted and overdrafted picks in my opinion.

• Like 8

I'd be very disappointed if we trade back and ended up with Davenport and Guice.    And I actually LIKE both players.  

I'd be much more happy with the possiblity of James and Vander Esch....     that would give our defense a big shot of speed, size, skill and physicality that Ballard wants to build with.   

In the 2nd,  take a much needed guard,  and two other top defenders and there are FOUR new defensive players to build with.

In the 3rd,  take that needed RB and in the 4th,  take that needed WR.

By the way,  in my judgement, if Ziggy Ansah can get drafted 5th overall,  then Marcus Davenport can be drafted somewhere in the first round.    Especially in this draft,  which I don't think is all that good,  and where the defensive talent isn't all that great.     I think top-32 is not too soon for Davenport.      And while Guice is also a first round talent on my board,  I don't want to spend a first round pick on him.     Not in this draft.  

Matt Miller mocks?    Not typically a big fan of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

It would tons of excitement...followed by instant disappointment. Two 1st round picks...and they end up with a boom-or-bust DE and a RB.

You could have James and Vander Esch after that trade back. The more I read about Vander Esch, the more intrigued I get.

I think SEA, DET, LAR and JAC better be sending Christmas cards to the Colts if the draft fell this way,

Yup Vander Esch is good!!

1 hour ago, jacksonjalovec said:

I too would rather next years first, hoping they suck and we can get a top tier defensive lineman.

I actually believe Ballard is thinking this way. He is targeting more ammunition for next year if possible. Ed Oliver and Rashan Gary are special players...franchise gamechangers. And there are potentially 3-4 DL players that could be top 10 picks. For someone that prioritizes the DL, he will want in on that.  

Next year could also be why they pass on Chubb and target a different position early. This is a rare class for top ILB talent...I just don't see Ballard passing on taking one of them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd be very disappointed if we trade back and ended up with Davenport and Guice.    And I actually LIKE both players.  

I'd be much more happy with the possiblity of James and Vander Esch....     that would give our defense a big shot of speed, size, skill and physicality that Ballard wants to build with.   

In the 2nd,  take a much needed guard,  and two other top defenders and there are FOUR new defensive players to build with.

In the 3rd,  take that needed RB and in the 4th,  take that needed WR.

By the way,  in my judgement, if Ziggy Ansah can get drafted 5th overall,  then Marcus Davenport can be drafted somewhere in the first round.    Especially in this draft,  which I don't think is all that good,  and where the defensive talent isn't all that great.     I think top-32 is not too soon for Davenport.      And while Guice is also a first round talent on my board,  I don't want to spend a first round pick on him.     Not in this draft.  

Matt Miller mocks?    Not typically a big fan of them.

I agree regarding this draft. You know it's not a great draft when the best two players are at two of the most devalued positions (LG and RB). I do think there is talent available...it's just not at premium positions.

Which means it's actually a great year to have a top 3 pick (and not need a QB). The lack of elite prospects makes it much easier to trade down (possibly twice) and acquire more current and future value. And it makes it easier to spend an early pick on a position like S (again) or ILB (historically devalued). In this scenario, you get one of the top prospects at both.

• Like 1

I would have taken Landry and Vander Esch. LVE is a plug and play MLB that can be a cornerstone for our defense. Im very high on Landry too. I think with his speed and repertoire of pass rush moves he can have the same type of impact Ngakoue has had for the Jags. They are very similar type players. 

Here's an interesting hypothetical question - lets say you target a future first with a trade back and you get 3 offers - one from Miami, one from Buffalo and one from Arizona. Lets also say that the rest of the value is about equal(for example Arizona might add additional second to make the difference between 12 and 15, etc.

So you have trade offers with about the same current year value, so you practically have to choose whose first rounder to have next year? Who do you think will be the worst team out of those 3? Who will give you the best chance to have additional high draft pick next year? 

Judging from Ballard's previous trade he gained significantly more yet only moved down three spots.  I'm assuming he would seek # 12 & 22, plus a 2nd to move down six more spots.

The #6 in this draft (Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, Allen, Mayfield) is perceived to have franchise cornerstone capabilities, at 12 & 22 not so much.

The way his mock played out is why we shouldn’t trade back. Missed out on Edmunds, Rashaan Evans, Denzel Ward... basically all the gimme picks. Fitzpatrick, the list goes on. Then we get a RB, something we can get later and a decent pass rusher in Davenport. All else fails, take Nelson to 6. Or any other defensive upgrade (Edmunds, Ward, Fitz, R Smith)

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

All right....let's all chant together.......

Keep the 6th!

Keep the 6th!

Keep the 6th!

Keep the 6th!

Keep the 6th!

Keep the 6th!

Amen.   Amen.   Keep the 6th and trade back with one of the 2nd rounders we have I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's an interesting hypothetical question - lets say you target a future first with a trade back and you get 3 offers - one from Miami, one from Buffalo and one from Arizona. Lets also say that the rest of the value is about equal(for example Arizona might add additional second to make the difference between 12 and 15, etc.

So you have trade offers with about the same current year value, so you practically have to choose whose first rounder to have next year? Who do you think will be the worst team out of those 3? Who will give you the best chance to have additional high draft pick next year? 

This is exactly why I fear trading down for the #6 spot.

The only way to do it other than by being overwhelmed with picks this year (i.e. Buffalo throwing 4 picks at us, etc) is to load up for next year. And you are guessing at who is going to be bad.

If forced, I would first rule out Buffalo if all deals were equal. They have a solid foundation and still have picks this year to build upon.

If you twisted my arm I think I take Arizona's pick all things considered.

They are relying on Bradford and Glennon? Their OL has managed to get worse in my opinion despite signing Pugh.

They have so much in flux. Essentially two new starters at OT and a new OG. The OTs leave a lot to be desired too. New head coach. New QBs. A starting QB that can't stay healthy and a backup that couldn't keep the job for a season over Trubisky. They are without both J.Browns at WR and have not replaced them with much of anything. They let Honey Badger walk.

It is close between Miami and Az, but I think in your scenario with all things being equal other than the future 1, I'd most want to have Arizona's #1.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I actually believe Ballard is thinking this way. He is targeting more ammunition for next year if possible. Ed Oliver and Rashan Gary are special players...franchise gamechangers. And there are potentially 3-4 DL players that could be top 10 picks. For someone that prioritizes the DL, he will want in on that.  

Next year could also be why they pass on Chubb and target a different position early. This is a rare class for top ILB talent...I just don't see Ballard passing on taking one of them.

If he wanted Chubb so bad I don't think he would trade down 

I hate this mock. Wouldn't mind the trade but Davenport shouldn't be drafted in the first (not even the second or third but I digress) and I really really like Guice but if we get him I'd prefer top of the 2nd.

I'd take Connor Williams and maybe Vander Esch in this trade and have no regrets. 

If we traded down to 12 and took Landry there, I would literally throw up on the TV while watching the draft. Probably about 5 options that have a realistic chance of being there that are much better. I'd take Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Denzel Ward, Vita Vea, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and probably a couple offensive players that aren't even Nelson or Barkley over Landry. Landry would be a massive reach/need pick at that point. Only thing worse at 12 would be Davenport. Vander Esch at 22 is at least somewhat respectable in a weak LB class.

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If we traded down to 12 and took Landry there, I would literally throw up on the TV while watching the draft. Probably about 5 options that have a realistic chance of being there that are much better. I'd take Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Denzel Ward, Vita Vea, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and probably a couple offensive players that aren't even Nelson or Barkley over Landry. Landry would be a massive reach/need pick at that point. Only thing worse at 12 would be Davenport. Vander Esch at 22 is at least somewhat respectable in a weak LB class.

Weak LB class? This is one of the best LB classes in recent memory. 

Also Landry is not a reach at 12. I have him my top 10. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Weak LB class? This is one of the best LB classes in recent memory. 

Also Landry is not a reach at 12. I have him my top 10. 

We'll have to disagree on this one. I honestly don't see much of anything LB wise I like outside of the 1st round except for maybe Josey Jewell. That's why I avoided LBers completely in my mock. Landry to me is a 2nd round guy. If we get him at the top of the 2nd, great. If not, no big deal. I would be upset if he was chosen at 12 in that scenario, and I don't know what I'd do if we took him at 6, but I'm not worried about that. Literally a nice 2nd tier wave of non QB talent, and Landry isn't close to it IMO.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We'll have to disagree on this one. I honestly don't see much of anything LB wise I like outside of the 1st round except for maybe Josey Jewell. That's why I avoided LBers completely in my mock. Landry to me is a 2nd round guy. If we get him at the top of the 2nd, great. If not, no big deal. I would be upset if he was chosen at 12 in that scenario, and I don't know what I'd do if we took him at 6, but I'm not worried about that. Literally a nice 2nd tier wave of non QB talent, and Landry isn't close to it IMO.

Also when I say I don't see much of anything outside the 1st round LB wise, I think guys like Rashaan Evans and Vander Esch are 1st round guys, and I wouldn't mind Landry in the top of the 2nd. It's just a top heavy draft at LB to me.

On 3/26/2018 at 12:54 PM, richard pallo said:

BR Matt Millers latest mock(3/26) nails it for the Colts.  And it is exactly what I think could happen.  I don't know how to post it but it shouldn't be too hard to find.  I'd be thrilled if this happens for all the reasons he outlined. 

Except for the munir factor if CB has stated that he’s bees to be blown away by an offer... 12 and 22 ok you’ve got my attention... what else oh well throw in a third... CB hard pass... I’ve said it since we moved back to six.  To make it worth it in my eyes to drop another six spots I’d want both seconds too. 

On 3/27/2018 at 12:37 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I have to strongly disagree. 

This is the best linebacker class I’ve seen in at least a decade... maybe 2 decades. 

Landry has exceptional talent. He was hurt last year so his numbers were down. He is like Guice, in that we have to scout him with the 2016 tape in order to see his upside. 

On 3/26/2018 at 4:35 PM, FalseStart said:

Not a fan of the picks... Buffalo would need to sweeten the deal with another 2nd in 2019. would prefer Guice in the 2nd. No Davenport. 

I think Buffalo would have to give us both 2018 firsts and the 2019 first. 

I believe it would take that much for Ballard to even consider moving back again. 

3 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Except for the munir factor if CB has stated that he’s bees to be blown away by an offer... 12 and 22 ok you’ve got my attention... what else oh well throw in a third... CB hard pass... I’ve said it since we moved back to six.  To make it worth it in my eyes to drop another six spots I’d want both seconds too. 

Maybe CB will be blown away by these picks.  Who knows. I have seen other projected trades with the Bills that only gives us no. 12  and a second or third and maybe a future.  If he can squeeze more than those two that would be gravy. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I have to strongly disagree. 

This is the best linebacker class I’ve seen in at least a decade... maybe 2 decades. 

Landry has exceptional talent. He was hurt last year so his numbers were down. He is like Guice, in that we have to scout him with the 2016 tape in order to see his upside. 

I think you are a top 2 poster on this forum and one of the top draft gurus, so I respect your opinion heavily. However, nothing excites me beyond the first round. I see Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Leighton Vander Esch, and Rashaan Evans in the first. After that, I'm just not very excited. Josey Jewell impressed me, but I want someone in the top 37 picks (our first 3 picks) if they fall, or just punt the position.

• Thanks 1