Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

any possible chance this happens

I think the only givens are that the Browns take their favorite QB at 1, and the Jets take a QB at 3.

If I'm an NFL team, in need of a QB, I'm trying to avoid a situation where you feel you need to take Rosen.

As good of a QB as he MAY be, his personality scares me (just based on what you all state about him).

I dont think this is going to happen, many people believe the Browns are locked in for a Qb at 1 but I think they will take Barkley, then even if the Giants and Jets take a Qb then the Browns still get one of the 4 touted quarterbacks and their running back for years to come. If the Browns do go quarterback then the Giants I would have to think almost guatanteed draft Barkley and try to make another run with Eli. So I think Barkley falling to us is almost out of the realm of possibilities,  but crazier things have happened 

17 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Browns Darnold

Giants Chubb

Jets Rosen

Bills Allen (Trade up with Browns)

Broncos Mayfield 

Colts Barkley 

If Browns trade down I'm thinking they select Denzel Ward at 12 or best available DB.

It could happen .... but it could also go like this

1 darnold

2 nelson

3 rosen

4 barkley 

5 mayfield

6 chubb

40 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I dont think this is going to happen, many people believe the Browns are locked in for a Qb at 1 but I think they will take Barkley, then even if the Giants and Jets take a Qb then the Browns still get one of the 4 touted quarterbacks and their running back for years to come. If the Browns do go quarterback then the Giants I would have to think almost guatanteed draft Barkley and try to make another run with Eli. So I think Barkley falling to us is almost out of the realm of possibilities,  but crazier things have happened 

This could happen if the Browns think all the QB's are equal, but I have to think there is one (or two) that they value above the rest. Seems strange that the Browns would just say "we'll wait until pick 4 and take whoever the other teams leave us." Anything could happen, though.

36 minutes ago, coltsva said:

This could happen if the Browns think all the QB's are equal, but I have to think there is one (or two) that they value above the rest. Seems strange that the Browns would just say "we'll wait until pick 4 and take whoever the other teams leave us." Anything could happen, though.

One could argue that they see Barkley as a superior player to all the quarterbacks and that they are equal enough to choose from who is available at 4. Regarding the OP original post, even if quarterbacks go 1,2,3, how could the Browns pass on the best player in the draft at 4, and if for some crazy reason or just cause they are the Browns and they don't take him Elway will go BPA with the 5th pick. 

6 hours ago, krunk said:

And Barkley isn't a great prospect?

He is. He's better than most of them. My feelings about drafting Barkley(this high) have everything to do with the value of the RB position and very little to do with the player himself. 

37 minutes ago, stitches said:

He is. He's better than most of them. My feelings about drafting Barkley(this high) have everything to do with the value of the RB position and very little to do with the player himself. 

I'm mostly with you.

I've been saying for months that with another very good class of RB's, I don't want to draft one until our pick at the top of the 4th round.     But I'm now of the view that the guys I want most --- Penny, Chubb and Freeman --- will be gone by then.   So, I'm willing to use a pick at the top of the 3rd to get that power back.

That said,  if Ballard doesn't like his options and he's sitting there at 6 and the way the draft has fallen has Barkely sitting there for us,   if Ballard wants him,  then I'm OK with the Colts taking him.    I won't love it,  but I'll live with it.

And I think of it this way.....    how often does the TOP player in the draft last until the 6th pick?    Gotta believe the answer is somewhere between....  "not very often"  and "never."    I think it's hard to get too worked up against taking the Consensus Best Player in the Draft with the 6th pick.  

I supported the Rams taking Gurley at 10.     I supported the Cowboys taking Zeke at 4.   And the Jags with Fournette at 4.    And even, to a lesser degree,  the Panthers taking McCaffrey at 8.    That's four top RB's in the top-10.

So, if we take Barkley at 6,  will I love it?    No.    But I won't complain too loudly here either...    

Just wanted to offer another perspective to consider.........

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm mostly with you.

I've been saying for months that with another very good class of RB's, I don't want to draft one until our pick at the top of the 4th round.     But I'm now of the view that the guys I want most --- Penny, Chubb and Freeman --- will be gone by then.   So, I'm willing to use a pick at the top of the 3rd to get that power back.

That said,  if Ballard doesn't like his options and he's sitting there at 6 and the way the draft has fallen has Barkely sitting there for us,   if Ballard wants him,  then I'm OK with the Colts taking him.    I won't love it,  but I'll live with it.

And I think of it this way.....    how often does the TOP player in the draft last until the 6th pick?    Gotta believe the answer is somewhere between....  "not very often"  and "never."    I think it's hard to get too worked up against taking the Consensus Best Player in the Draft with the 6th pick.  

I supported the Rams taking Gurley at 10.     I supported the Cowboys taking Zeke at 4.   And the Jags with Fournette at 4.    And even, to a lesser degree,  the Panthers taking McCaffrey at 8.    That's four top RB's in the top-10.

So, if we take Barkley at 6,  will I love it?    No.    But I won't complain too loudly here either...    

Just wanted to offer another perspective to consider.........

I'm pretty much right there with you on this.  I normally don't like taking a RB that high, especially with so many good ones being drafted in the middle rounds in the last few drafts.  I just think the value in those middle rounds is better than high first.  BUT, Barkley is a specimen.  Hes different.  Not only does he show well on tape, he was off the charts at the combine which only backed up how good all the scouts think he will be.  So although it's not my dream scenario, or even my 2nd best, if both Chubb and Nelson are off the board, and we don't have any suitable trade partner, I could live with taking Barkley at 6.  Would I love it?  No.  Would I be mad about it?  Nope.  I also think if we do that we need to be committed even moreso to building the OL, most likely starting in round 2.