Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Current State of The Colts Roster (March)

BlueShoe

Tremendous job. I know you probably spent a lot of time on this. Just one  point I wanna make. I think for now the guards are kinda set with mewhort and slauson, but doesn't mean we won't take nelson. Honestly this entire draft Imo comes down to what the giants do at 2. If they take a QB, then we have a chance at chubb, Barkley, or Nelson. If they take Chubb or Barkley then both will be off the board after 4 with a chance the broncos take Nelson at 5 if they feel contempt with keenum leaving us in a bind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Tremendous job. I know you probably spent a lot of time on this. Just one  point I wanna make. I think for now the guards are kinda set with mewhort and slauson, but doesn't mean we won't take nelson. Honestly this entire draft Imo comes down to what the giants do at 2. If they take a QB, then we have a chance at chubb, Barkley, or Nelson. If they take Chubb or Barkley then both will be off the board after 4 with a chance the broncos take Nelson at 5 if they feel contempt with keenum leaving us in a bind. 

Thank you for the kind words. I only worry about Mewhort's health. When healthy he is an excellent lineman. 

I agree. The Giants pick will influence how this draft plays out. I still think the Broncos are taking a quarterback - Allen or Mayfield. 

Agreed. Nice summary BlueShoe. 

Also so if we drafted Nelson we take him to be in his dominant spot which is LG

oddly enough (through it has changed a bit w the times of the nfl), the LG position is arguably easier to play and less important than the RG. 

Theres been numerous writeuos as to as to why this is, but suffice it to say fixing our RG position is what I would be most focused on. 

Im not sure how well Nelson would play RG as opposed to LG but it would be interesting to see

ill also say that Mewhort came in as a tackle. He played ok at RT but excelled more at guard. If we did draft Nelson and Nelson and Slauson were to win the starting OGs then I’d love to see Mewhort compete w Good and Haeg and Clark for RT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

oddly enough (through it has changed a bit w the times of the nfl), the LG position is arguably easier to play and less important than the RG. 

Theres been numerous writeuos as to as to why this is, but suffice it to say fixing our RG position is what I would be most focused on. 

Im not sure how well Nelson would play RG as opposed to LG but it would be interesting to see

ill also say that Mewhort came in as a tackle. He played ok at RT but excelled more at guard. If we did draft Nelson and Nelson and Slauson were to winning the starting OGs then I’d love to see Mewhort compete w Good and Haeg and Clark for RT. 

Mewhort actually came in as a Guard not tackle js look it up on google and his draft profile

Very good breakdown.  The only thing I would say is imo we will run more 2 TE's than people think.  Reich is all about a mismatch and switch up.  Having Doyle and Ebron with the ability to own the middle and a mismatch on a nickel will be a huge advantage for us.  You can easily have Ebron bump out like Gronk does a lot.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think he meant when he was in college. He was a tackle.

My bad for not specifying explicitly. Mewhort was a tackle at Ohio state. He came out as a tackle. The colts moved him to guard. Later in 2015 he got a trial at RT and looked like he’d do a decent job. Just not as good as he was at guard previously. 

But yes CR91 hit on what I was getting at. Mewhort came into the draft as a tackle. We chose to move him to guard and he played well there. I still think while he’s a better guard than tackle, if he wasn’t one of our two best guards then he might still be a better RT than the guys he’d be competing against there. 

Thats all I was driving home at. 

Good work.

The biggest hole is obviously LB.  The DL is pretty full, which is why drafting Chubb might not be the best choice.  Maybe Edmunds should be the pick at 6, if his talent warrants it.

Folks on this forum have devalued the WR position for years.  Its the next need.

OL and CB next.  

LB, WR, OL, CB, are the needs, much more so than RB, IMO.

and both starting Ss are returning from major injury.  I think we should draft a S.

Connor Williams played T in college, but would make a nice G.

Edmunds, DB, Williams, WR could/should be the top 4 picks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Free Agency is far from over and the NFL Draft is still more than a month away. We are installing a zone coverage 43 based defense, and our new offense will have a heavy influence from the West Coast offense. Get used to a lot of 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, and 3 WRs). 

With that said, let’s break down the Colts current roster. 

Quarterback

We can feel confident that Andrew Luck will be back as all signs are pointing upwards. We know that he will have some rust. The good news is that he should have the entire offseason to re-acclimate himself and the year off was good for his body to heal up. He should be in great shape. 

With Jacoby Brissett, we should feel good about our backup situation. We brought in Brad Kaaya who could be a good addition. I have no idea why Phillip Walker is still with this team. 

Running Back

As it stands today, Marlin Mack is the starting running back. Matt Jones and Robert Turbin are the thumpers. Christine Michael, Josh Ferguson, and George Winn round out the group. 

Running back is certainly an area to target in the upcoming draft. There are a lot of good young backs in this draft and I think we need someone to compliment Mack. I could see us using a running back by committee approach with Mack, Jones, and a draft pick. Jones is 239 pounds and Mack is 210. I believe the compliment is somewhere in between (220-230). 

Obviously Saquon Barkley would be an excellent draft pick, but he will likely be off the board before the 6th overall pick. Both Georgia backs fit the profile (Nick Chubb and Sony Michel). At least one of them are likely to be on the board at 36/37. If we look deeper into the early third round, then possibly Rashaad Penny will be available. If we look even deeper, then Josh Adams might be a good fit.

Wide Receiver

Outside of T.Y. Hilton, Chester Rogers, and Ryan Grant, the Colts receiver corps has a lot of question marks. This team needs more personnel to utilize a base set consisting of three wide receivers. Let’s face it Kolby Listenbee, K.J. Brent, Justice Liggins, Krishawn Hogan, Dres Anderson, DeAndre Smelter, James Wright, Rodney Adams, Seantavius Jones are not what we want to walk into training camp with. 

T.Y. Hilton and Ryan Grant will probably play an interchangeable combination of outside and inside. I believe the Colts need to find another lengthy outside receiver in this draft. Michael Gallup and Courtland Sutton are possible options at 36/37/49. If we look in the third round, then we might find Dante Pettis, Equanimeous St. Brown, or DaeSean Hamilton on the board. Even deeper we could find Cedrick Wilson, J'Mon Moore, Allen Lazard, Jester Weah, Simmie Cobbs Jr., Javon Wims, and so on. 

Tight Ends

I think we are in a decent situation with Jack Doyle, Eric Ebron, and Erik Swoope. Doyle is the multifaceted tight end of the group while Ebron and Swoope are predominantly pass catchers. Darrell Daniels, Ross Travis, Jason Vander Laan, and Mo Alie-Cox round out the tight end group. There will probably be a logjam of talented tight ends in the second round. While it is not a need for the Colts, we cannot rule out a BPA pick in the second or third round. For example, it might be too hard to pass on a Mike Gesicki at 49 overall. 

Offensive Line

I think we should start by reviewing where the Colts offensive line finished in 2017. In the final game of the season, the starting line from left to right was as follows; Anthony Castonzo, Jeremy Vujnovich, Mike Person, Le'Raven Clark, and Joe Haeg. Through some miracle, all five finished the game in the same positions. Castonzo, Vujnovich, Clark, and Haeg are all returning in 2018, while Person is no longer on the team. 

Anthony Castonzo has been our rock since 2011 and Ryan Kelly should return from injury to provide much needed stability at center. Everything else is up-for-grabs. 

Newcomer Matt Slauson is likely to find a guard position to hold down. He was a captain last year with the Chargers before a bicep ended his season early. The 32-year-old journeyman is going into his 10th season, and he can play guard or center. 

Joe Haeg finished the season at right tackle, so I will pencil him in the same spot, for the moment. The remaining starting guard position is a toss-up between Denzelle Good, Le'Raven Clark, Jeremy Vujnovich, Deyshawn Bond, and Jack Mewhort.

I think Mewhort’s one-year deal confirms what we all already thought. I think we can assume from the structure of the contract that both sides (the team and him) are uncertain about his football future. 

Rounding out the offensive line is Anthony Fabiano, Isaiah Williams, Mark Glowinski, and Tyreek Burwell.

It would shock everyone if Ballard and company did not select at least one offensive lineman in the upcoming draft. We have a left tackle, a center, and one guard. At the very least, we need a guard in this draft and possibly an upgrade at right tackle (if one presents itself). 

Quenton Nelson is the best offensive lineman in the upcoming NFL draft and he could be there at 6 overall. Plugging him into our lineup would be a tremendous upgrade at either guard position. There will likely be a logjam of excellent interior offensive lineman in the second round. Isaiah Wynn, Billy Price, or James Daniels could be options at 36/37/49. If we look in the third round then we might find Frank Ragnow, Braden Smith, or Austin Corbett. 

There might not be an elite tackle in this draft, but there are several very good prospects. Mike McGlinchey will probably be off the board before the second round. However, there is a chance for Kolton Miller, Connor Williams, or Tyrell Crosby to be available at 36/37/49. Other Day 2 possibilities are Brian O'Neill, Geron Christian, Martinas Rankin, Desmond Harrison, Jamarco Jones, and Chukwuma Okorafor.

Defensive Line

The Colts are moving from a 34-base defense to a 43-base defense. If the season started today then, Henry Anderson, Al Woods, Hassan Ridgeway, and Grover Stewart would man the inside of the line. Denico Autry, Jabaal Sheard, John Simon, and Tarell Basham would man the outside. 

I am not sure where Margus Hunt would have a role. If he makes the team then it’s possible he could play a situational role along with his massive special team’s abilities. Rounding out the rest of the defensive line is Anthony Johnson, Johnathan Calvin, Caraun Reid, Joey Mbu, Josh Perry, and Arthur Miley.

We will absolutely look to improve the pass rush through the draft. Bradley Chubb would be the big name at number 6 overall. However, the Colts might find value in the second round with Arden Key, Sam Hubbard, or Lorenzo Carter at 36/37/49. Possible 3rd and 4th round candidates are Josh Sweat, Rasheem Green, Duke Ejiofor, Kemoko Turay, Chad Thomas, Tyquan Lewis, Hercules Mata'afa, Jalyn Holmes, and Kylie Fitts.

Linebackers

We desperately need 43 base off-ball linebackers. I don’t think Antonio Morrison is a good fit for a 43 zone defense. He is a two-down thumper and it just doesn't make any sense for him to be on this roster. Best case scenario he plays SAM. I just don’t see it though. 

If the season started today then I think Anthony Walker would be our MIKE, Jeremiah George would be our WILL, and Darnell Sankey would be our SAM. We have little-to-no depth. Jermaine Grace and Tyrell Adams round out the linebacking corps. 

While Anthony Walker is a possible mainstay, I believe a discussion could be made to upgrade any of the three linebacking positions.

This draft certainly fits the linebacker needs of the Colts. I currently have 8 off-ball linebackers ranked in the top 63, and that is far from the normal. Tremaine Edmunds is in the discussion at 6 overall. Leighton Vander Esch, Rashaan Evans, Uchenna Nwosu, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Darius Leonard, and Malik Jefferson are all in the discussion at 36/37/49.

Cornerbacks

Nate Hairston predominantly played inside in last year’s 34-man scheme, but I think he will flourish outside in the new zone coverage defense. Quincy Wilson and Hairston will man the outside. Chris Milton, Pierre Desir, D.J. White, Kenny Moore II round out the current corners on the roster. 

It is likely for the Colts to look at corner in the upcoming draft. Possible fits for the new scheme include (but not limited to) Jaire Alexander, Duke Dawson, M.J. Stewart and J.C. Jackson. 

Safety

If healthy then Clayton Geathers and Malik Hooker are the starters. Matthias Farley and T.J. Green will provide good depth with Ronald Martin the final safety on the current roster. It is not likely for the Colts to draft a safety, but if the right player falls then anything is possible. 

Nice job! What is your mock draft?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great write-up! 

I just had a few things to point out:

- John Simon will most likely play a linebacker position as he isn't big enough to play 4-3 DE. Sheard is a perfect fit for the 4-3 DE

- I am not so sure about Hairston on the outside. In all likelihood we have Desir and Wilson on the outside and maybe a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick in the room to push for a starting position. Hairston has shown a nice niche playing slot corner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Free Agency is far from over and the NFL Draft is still more than a month away. We are installing a zone coverage 43 based defense, and our new offense will have a heavy influence from the West Coast offense. Get used to a lot of 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, and 3 WRs). 

Quarterback

We can feel confident that Andrew Luck will be back as all signs are pointing upwards. We know that he will have some rust. The good news is that he should have the entire offseason to re-acclimate himself and the year off was good for his body to heal up. He should be in great shape. 

With Jacoby Brissett, we should feel good about our backup situation. We brought in Brad Kaaya who could be a good addition. I have no idea why Phillip Walker is still with this team. 

Running Back

As it stands today, Marlin Mack is the starting running back. Matt Jones and Robert Turbin are the thumpers. Christine Michael, Josh Ferguson, and George Winn round out the group. 

Running back is certainly an area to target in the upcoming draft. There are a lot of good young backs in this draft and I think we need someone to compliment Mack. I could see us using a running back by committee approach with Mack, Jones, and a draft pick. Jones is 239 pounds and Mack is 210. I believe the compliment is somewhere in between (220-230). 

Obviously Saquon Barkley would be an excellent draft pick, but he will likely be off the board before the 6th overall pick. Both Georgia backs fit the profile (Nick Chubb and Sony Michel). At least one of them are likely to be on the board at 36/37. If we look deeper into the early third round, then possibly Rashaad Penny will be available. If we look even deeper, then Josh Adams might be a good fit.

Wide Receiver

Outside of T.Y. Hilton, Chester Rogers, and Ryan Grant, the Colts receiver corps has a lot of question marks. This team needs more personnel to utilize a base set consisting of three wide receivers. Let’s face it Kolby Listenbee, K.J. Brent, Justice Liggins, Krishawn Hogan, Dres Anderson, DeAndre Smelter, James Wright, Rodney Adams, Seantavius Jones are not what we want to walk into training camp with. 

T.Y. Hilton and Ryan Grant will probably play an interchangeable combination of outside and inside. I believe the Colts need to find another lengthy outside receiver in this draft. Michael Gallup and Courtland Sutton are possible options at 36/37/49. If we look in the third round, then we might find Dante Pettis, Equanimeous St. Brown, or DaeSean Hamilton on the board. Even deeper we could find Cedrick Wilson, J'Mon Moore, Allen Lazard, Jester Weah, Simmie Cobbs Jr., Javon Wims, and so on. 

Tight Ends

I think we are in a decent situation with Jack Doyle, Eric Ebron, and Erik Swoope. Doyle is the multifaceted tight end of the group while Ebron and Swoope are predominantly pass catchers. Darrell Daniels, Ross Travis, Jason Vander Laan, and Mo Alie-Cox round out the tight end group. There will probably be a logjam of talented tight ends in the second round. While it is not a need for the Colts, we cannot rule out a BPA pick in the second or third round. For example, it might be too hard to pass on a Mike Gesicki at 49 overall. 

Offensive Line

I think we should start by reviewing where the Colts offensive line finished in 2017. In the final game of the season, the starting line from left to right was as follows; Anthony Castonzo, Jeremy Vujnovich, Mike Person, Le'Raven Clark, and Joe Haeg. Through some miracle, all five finished the game in the same positions. Castonzo, Vujnovich, Clark, and Haeg are all returning in 2018, while Person is no longer on the team. 

Anthony Castonzo has been our rock since 2011 and Ryan Kelly should return from injury to provide much needed stability at center. Everything else is up-for-grabs. 

Newcomer Matt Slauson is likely to find a guard position to hold down. He was a captain last year with the Chargers before a bicep ended his season early. The 32-year-old journeyman is going into his 10th season, and he can play guard or center. 

Joe Haeg finished the season at right tackle, so I will pencil him in the same spot, for the moment. The remaining starting guard position is a toss-up between Denzelle Good, Le'Raven Clark, Jeremy Vujnovich, Deyshawn Bond, and Jack Mewhort.

I think Mewhort’s one-year deal confirms what we all already thought. I think we can assume from the structure of the contract that both sides (the team and him) are uncertain about his football future. 

Rounding out the offensive line is Anthony Fabiano, Isaiah Williams, Mark Glowinski, and Tyreek Burwell.

It would shock everyone if Ballard and company did not select at least one offensive lineman in the upcoming draft. We have a left tackle, a center, and one guard. At the very least, we need a guard in this draft and possibly an upgrade at right tackle (if one presents itself). 

Quenton Nelson is the best offensive lineman in the upcoming NFL draft and he could be there at 6 overall. Plugging him into our lineup would be a tremendous upgrade at either guard position. There will likely be a logjam of excellent interior offensive lineman in the second round. Isaiah Wynn, Billy Price, or James Daniels could be options at 36/37/49. If we look in the third round then we might find Frank Ragnow, Braden Smith, or Austin Corbett. 

There might not be an elite tackle in this draft, but there are several very good prospects. Mike McGlinchey will probably be off the board before the second round. However, there is a chance for Kolton Miller, Connor Williams, or Tyrell Crosby to be available at 36/37/49. Other Day 2 possibilities are Brian O'Neill, Geron Christian, Martinas Rankin, Desmond Harrison, Jamarco Jones, and Chukwuma Okorafor.

Defensive Line

The Colts are moving from a 34-base defense to a 43-base defense. If the season started today then, Henry Anderson, Al Woods, Hassan Ridgeway, and Grover Stewart would man the inside of the line. Denico Autry, Jabaal Sheard, John Simon, and Tarell Basham would man the outside. 

I am not sure where Margus Hunt would have a role. If he makes the team then it’s possible he could play a situational role along with his massive special team’s abilities. Rounding out the rest of the defensive line is Anthony Johnson, Johnathan Calvin, Caraun Reid, Joey Mbu, Josh Perry, and Arthur Miley.

We will absolutely look to improve the pass rush through the draft. Bradley Chubb would be the big name at number 6 overall. However, the Colts might find value in the second round with Arden Key, Sam Hubbard, or Lorenzo Carter at 36/37/49. Possible 3rd and 4th round candidates are Josh Sweat, Rasheem Green, Duke Ejiofor, Kemoko Turay, Chad Thomas, Tyquan Lewis, Hercules Mata'afa, Jalyn Holmes, and Kylie Fitts.

Linebackers

We desperately need 43 base off-ball linebackers. I don’t think Antonio Morrison is a good fit for a 43 zone defense. He is a two-down thumper and it just doesn't make any sense for him to be on this roster. Best case scenario he plays SAM. I just don’t see it though. 

If the season started today then I think Anthony Walker would be our MIKE, Jeremiah George would be our WILL, and Darnell Sankey would be our SAM. We have little-to-no depth. Jermaine Grace and Tyrell Adams round out the linebacking corps. 

While Anthony Walker is a possible mainstay, I believe a discussion could be made to upgrade any of the three linebacking positions.

This draft certainly fits the linebacker needs of the Colts. I currently have 8 off-ball linebackers ranked in the top 63, and that is far from the normal. Tremaine Edmunds is in the discussion at 6 overall. Leighton Vander Esch, Rashaan Evans, Uchenna Nwosu, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Darius Leonard, and Malik Jefferson are all in the discussion at 36/37/49.

Cornerbacks

Nate Hairston predominantly played inside in last year’s 34-man scheme, but I think he will flourish outside in the new zone coverage defense. Quincy Wilson and Hairston will man the outside. Chris Milton, Pierre Desir, D.J. White, Kenny Moore II round out the current corners on the roster. 

It is likely for the Colts to look at corner in the upcoming draft. Possible fits for the new scheme include (but not limited to) Jaire Alexander, Duke Dawson, M.J. Stewart and J.C. Jackson. 

Safety

If healthy then Clayton Geathers and Malik Hooker are the starters. Matthias Farley and T.J. Green will provide good depth with Ronald Martin the final safety on the current roster. It is not likely for the Colts to draft a safety, but if the right player falls then anything is possible. 

5 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Quarterback

Running Back

Wide Receiver

Tight Ends

Offensive Line

Defensive Line

Linebackers

Cornerbacks

Safety

what a post, gets my vote for post of the year

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

My bad for not specifying explicitly. Mewhort was a tackle at Ohio state. He came out as a tackle. The colts moved him to guard. Later in 2015 he got a trial at RT and looked like he’d do a decent job. Just not as good as he was at guard previously. 

But yes CR91 hit on what I was getting at. Mewhort came into the draft as a tackle. We chose to move him to guard and he played well there. I still think while he’s a better guard than tackle, if he wasn’t one of our two best guards then he might still be a better RT than the guys he’d be competing against there. 

Thats all I was driving home at. 

My memory was that Jack was too slow for tackle, and needed constant help there.  And that was before the last couple year's knee injuries.  I admire Jack and wish him well, but doubt he makes it thru the season. My prayer is that he can still walk in his old age..?

My memory also was that Haeg played much better at Left Tackle backing up Anthony than Right Tackle or Right Guard.  Obviously, he can't beat out Anthony. I believe Joe is a better tackle than Denzelle Good, but Good is probably a better guard.  Pencil in Joe as a backup tackle, and get a better one in the draft or FA to start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, masnerj said:

Great write-up! 

- John Simon will most likely play a linebacker position as he isn't big enough to play 4-3 DE. Sheard is a perfect fit for the 4-3 DE

- I am not so sure about Hairston on the outside. In all likelihood we have Desir and Wilson on the outside and maybe a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick in the room to push for a starting position. Hairston has shown a nice niche playing slot corner.

That's incorrect. He's 6'3 260'ish. He's nothing but a DE in this system and I'm glad he'll be back playing in his natural position.

Very nice write-up, its obvious that our team is lacking talent in almost every position. We need to nail this draft and next years draft, have Luck play a full season and remain healthy and hopefully we can think about making a run in the next couple years  (Luck is on contract through 2021). Not that i care very much about power rankings but for anyone who does, we are now ranked #32 below the 0-17 Browns. apparently due to being so quiet in FA. :lol:

• Thanks 1

A little premature to analyze a depth chart before the draft, OTS’s, & training camp.  We may release guys you’ve penciled in as starters & 4-5 draftees may start.  We may pick up some other teams’ cutdowns.  My guess is you’ve listed maybe 50% of the final 53.  It did indicate areas of concern, but we aren’t coaches who will see who fits which positions, etc.  

As of right now, the colts have the worst roster in the entire league.

We dont know the status of Andrew Luck, and without him, we have a depleted roster with more holes than a suisse cheese.

If Andrew Luck is back, and he can regain his strength and play like in year one and two of his NFL career, where he made everyone around him better than they really were, then we suddenly have a way different team/ roster.

Without Luck, T.Y Hilton is our only player with star power.

But after the draft and after the first game with Luck under center, we know how bad or good this roster is. 

• Like 2

nfl.com had us dead last in their post free agency power rankings.  id put us above Cleveland with luck healthy, but probably not anyone else

texans were bad but if we assume luck will be healthy, then we should assume watson, watt and co will be too

this isn't a quick fix roster sure you can have some rookies show out and some good fortune of health will allow some other players to come back and show out. But fundamentally there's a culture and philosophy change taking place. Its exciting to build through the draft build with young talent on the upswing. I'd like to see more players with some dog in them on both sides of the ball there are soooo many talented players in this draft if you get the right fits the team could start to see the change a lot quicker.

I’ve been preaching about the LB situation for months. That’s possibly the sketchiest position group on the whole roster. We didn’t get to get a long enough look at Walker to know what we have in him. Morrison is one of the worst players on the roster and was a Pagano style player. 

15 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

That's incorrect. He's 6'3 260'ish. He's nothing but a DE in this system and I'm glad he'll be back playing in his natural position.

I still disagree. Once we get into the organized offseason activities and training camp, you'll see that he will be playing a non-middle linebacker role.

our roster has been  degraded so far in free agency as we lost some players and could not sign any impact players. o-line does not look improved and i hate for rookie draft picks to be in front of luck, if ballard drafts well we may get some starters after they develop in a few years. this is a slow way to built a team and i will have to be content with a losing record for a few years. i like the way bb builds a team better with both free agents and the draft, it works for the pats. jax seems to be using the pats method of building now and as a result are contenders

8 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

our roster has been  degraded so far in free agency as we lost some players and could not sign any impact players. o-line does not look improved and i hate for rookie draft picks to be in front of luck, if ballard drafts well we may get some starters after they develop in a few years. this is a slow way to built a team and i will have to be content with a losing record for a few years. i like the way bb builds a team better with both free agents and the draft, it works for the pats. jax seems to be using the pats method of building now and as a result are contenders

A few years?  Nah, we will be competitive this year and contend in the following year.

You say you like the way BB builds a team? Well that is the blueprint Ballard is using.

Don't over pay for players and pick the players that fit into your system. Part of the process is cutting dead weight.

BB does not sign high dollar free agents and trades the players who require high dollar contracts. You have to have a base in place before a system can work. That Is what Ballard is attempting to do.  

• Like 2

On 3/24/2018 at 3:13 PM, TomDiggs said:

ill also say that Mewhort came in as a tackle. He played ok at RT but excelled more at guard. If we did draft Nelson and Nelson and Slauson were to win the starting OGs then I’d love to see Mewhort compete w Good and Haeg and Clark for RT. 

Great point and I am glad you brought this up....as this is something that no one has mentioned. LG, even in this day and age, is not has highly valued as RG. And Nelson excelled at LG. So this hurts his  positional value even more.

It's likely that he could move to RG...but are you going to risk a top 6 pick to find out? And what if he is just a good, not great RG? 

Also, let's look at a relevant example. In Reich's offense at PHI, they invested heavily into the RG position by signing Brooks. At LG, they signed journeyman Wisniewski to a cheap deal. 

Norwell was also a LG, so I am curious to what they planned with him or what they had offered.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2018 at 4:03 PM, DougDew said:

Good work.

The biggest hole is obviously LB.  The DL is pretty full, which is why drafting Chubb might not be the best choice.  Maybe Edmunds should be the pick at 6, if his talent warrants it.

Folks on this forum have devalued the WR position for years.  Its the next need.

OL and CB next.  

LB, WR, OL, CB, are the needs, much more so than RB, IMO.

and both starting Ss are returning from major injury.  I think we should draft a S.

Connor Williams played T in college, but would make a nice G.

Edmunds, DB, Williams, WR could/should be the top 4 picks. 

I want Edmunds as well. He is not without risk, but the upside is huge...higher than any non-QB outside of Nelson...and his impact would be greater. He could be the lynchpin to the entire defense. 

I also agree that the need for WR is being underestimated around here. The fact that the WR market exploded to the point that teams are paying what they are (including $5M to a bottom-roster WR) screams for the need to draft one early...and possibly even double dip (if they can get more picks). I like Ballard bringing in several UDFAs to compete (especially if they can get one to be a multi-year WR4/WR5), but they need better talent...and they especially need long-term talent (Grant has a one-year deal, Hilton is getting older, Rogers only has two years).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, masnerj said:

I still disagree. Once we get into the organized offseason activities and training camp, you'll see that he will be playing a non-middle linebacker role.

He won't be a MLB...he will a strong-side OLB...they will want to use strength in run defense and to take on blockers. I am sure they will also utilize his pass rushing at opportune times.

He might leave the field depending on certian sub packages...but he will have a big role with the defense.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2018 at 12:39 PM, BlueShoe said:

Offensive Line

Defensive Line

Linebackers

Cornerbacks

Safety

Nice post -- I trimmed some to comment.  With the addition of Ebron, I think we'll see a lot of 2 TE, 1 RB, 2 WR packages.  We could certainly stand to add another WR if we are going to be playing a lot of 3 WR packages (seems to me like Grant and Rodgers are both better suited to be #3-4 WRs than #2s, but I suppose we can get away with them as 2-3 for a season as we rebuild in other areas).

OL, I think Slauson and Mewhort are both signed as depth guys with hopes of having them start (injury history and/or age don't lead me to believe either of these guys is already going to be penciled in as a starter).  The nice thing with our OL is we have multiple players with versatility... with AC and Kelly (healthy) we have very solid players at LT and C.  Mewhort can play both G positions, Slauson can play C or G (I tend to think the hope is he's a back-up to both positions and a guy who can provide some vet leadership).  Haeg can play across the line, and Good and Clark can play G or T.  If we are healthy, and if some of the young guys develop we may not be that far off on the OL... that said, I sure hope we address this to some extent in the draft.

DL.  I still tend to think Simon will be at OLB and maybe switch to DE on 3rd down packages... I won't be shocked if Basham and Sheard also play some OLB (though I think Sheard and Basham are better suited for DE).  I also won't be shocked to see Anderson move inside and outside on the DL.  

On 3/24/2018 at 12:58 PM, CR91 said:

Mewhort is questionable with his health and Slauson is older and coming off season ending injury.  I would be pretty uncomfortable going into the season with them 'set' as our Gs... I think with Slauson being able to play C and G, we signed him hopefully for depth/leadership (with potential to start, rather than as a set starter with potential to provide good depth as a back-up).

On 3/24/2018 at 1:20 PM, Indy1996 said:

Mewhort actually came in as a Guard not tackle js look it up on google and his draft profile

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/jack-mewhort?id=2543744

Mewhort played T his last  year in college... his draft profile suggests he is a T.   I think he could have been a decent RT, but tend to think his injuries will limit him to G moving forward.

On 3/24/2018 at 3:20 PM, masnerj said:

Great write-up! 

I agree with you on Simon and Sheard... highly doubt all 3 of Simon, Sheard, Basham are exclusively used as DEs.

I think the CB position is still up for grabs.  Hairston could excel outside or inside.  I think TJ Green will be seen getting work in pre-season as outside CB and Nickel CB, as well.  He's got the athletic ability, if he can just get his football IQ/reaction speed to his real-life speed, he could be nice in a cover 2 D.

21 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Very nice write-up, its obvious that our team is lacking talent in almost every position. We need to nail this draft and next years draft, have Luck play a full season and remain healthy and hopefully we can think about making a run in the next couple years  (Luck is on contract through 2021). Not that i care very much about power rankings but for anyone who does, we are now ranked #32 below the 0-17 Browns. apparently due to being so quiet in FA. :lol:

Other than LB, if the roster we had could stay healthy, I think they'd be pretty darn good with our starting units.  Unfortunately, some guys I think could be stars haven't been able to stay healthy in their young career (Hooker, Geathers, Kelly, Mewhort, Anderson, and to some extent Wilson though he sounded like character issues were just as heavily involved as injury issues).  More unfortunately, we have very little depth across the board and some unknowns in key areas (e.g., can Sheard/Basham/Autry/etc. step up as pass rushers in our new scheme?  is Luck really going to be back at 100%?).  I like Ballard's approach in trading back to acquire more picks... we should be able to at least nab 2-3 starters and some quality depth with 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.

I can’t imagine anyone seriously stating that we can be confident Luck will be back and in “great shape” this season — and even if he is back, we have no idea if he will still be an elite qb. Of course, the Colts are expressing optimism as they were a year ago. Ticket sales still matter. 

With him him at close to 100% we could be above .500. Without him, we’ll have a chance to draft his replacement next year.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, azcolt said:

I can’t imagine anyone seriously stating that we can be confident Luck will be back and in “great shape” this season — and even if he is back, we have no idea if he will still be an elite qb. Of course, the Colts are expressing optimism as they were a year ago. Ticket sales still matter. 

With him him at close to 100% we could be above .500. Without him, we’ll have a chance to draft his replacement next year.

Luck is going to be back.

If Ballard wasn't sure he was going to be back he wouldn't have traded out of the 3rd spot.

First off, nice write up Blue shoe!

As others have said and I agree, LB is the biggest weakness on the team! Then followed by WR. 

Can LB Tremaine Edmunds cover though? I like his upside as a prospect and is an athletic freak. Edmunds has the size to be a DE.  I like that Edmunds can virtually line up at any LB spot. He kinda reminds me of LB Donte Hightower of New England. 

I think SS Derwin James would be a good fit for our team too. He is versatile enough to play slot corner, weak side linebacker, and of course strong safety. He has elite quickness, speed, and athleticism. I think he is better served playing near the line of scrimmage much like former Colt Bob Sanders and former Redskin Sean Taylor. 

I hope WR Courtland Sutton falls to us in the second round. We need a big WR across from T.Y. That and another big body along with TE Eric Ebron would be a plus in the red zone. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Luck is going to be back.

If Ballard wasn't sure he was going to be back he wouldn't have traded out of the 3rd spot.

Being back is one thing, being back to his old form is another.   I think he'll be able to perform close to what he was at.   i think we have to protect him though.  

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

Being back is one thing, being back to his old form is another.   I think he'll be able to perform close to what he was at.   i think we have to protect him though.  

No doubt our QB needs protection.

One thing that Ballard said that I just can't get of my mind is what he said about Brissett. His exact words were Brissett was traded for the future. I honestly believe what he said. So if Luck is not going to be his old self we will be rolling with Brissett.