Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What will make this draft a success? POLL

How Many draft picks Start?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How Many picks have to be starters for this draft to be a succesful one?

• 5 (or more) it's gotta be a historic haul
    • 4 gotta be the best dang draft I ever did see
    • 3 if most of our 1st and second rounders make the field year 1 I'm good
    • 2 or less, thats probably about average and I'm ok with that
    • As long as the commish gets boo'ed every time he hits the podium I'm set

The Colts have a lot of holes to fill, no doubt we may still add a player from here and there leading up to the draft, but with 4 picks in the first two rounds alone, and thinking back on Quincy Wilson this last year I started thinking how many draft picks will be on the field this year just due to need vs. actual ability made me want to see what everyone thinks would be deemed a successful draft.

So the poll question is based on how many will be legit starters vs. some who will make the field probably before they are ready just out of need. I don't have any stats but I have to believe the average is probably around 70% of 1st and 2nd rounders usually are legit starters out of the gate, so my mind says best case scenario is that we get 3-4 legit starters out of the mess...more than that will be GM of the year level what say you?

Just now, aaron11 said:

i said three

too many rookie starters could be a bad thing.  why i was hoping for more action in free agency 

aaron, I am right there with you....I wasn't in the go nutz with the cap camp but I thought we could add some more (john simon level) roster fill to go with the draft this year.....I guess the way CB has approached it will be better long term, but the suck level now is elevated lol

One should be a gimme, the first round pick should automatically be a starter this year since were in the top 6. 

Then hopefully 1 or 2 of the 2nd rounders can start, then maybe a starter  or rotational player in the backend. That would be a great draft.

i said 3 though. 

Ideally with 4 top 50 picks, if we can grab 2 day one starters (I'm thinking a guard in the second coupled with whoever we take in the first), I'd consider pretty good. Long term, if we grab anywhere more than 4 starters in one draft, that'd be awesome.

I'm also excited to see the growth of our second year players. Quincy Wilson specifically is a guy who I think can become a number 1 corner. Plus Hooker, who's a stud and Hairston. Hopefully Walker and Basham can show us something too.

If we can get 3 day 1 starters to make some type of impact I will be happy.  After a few years I would hope for maybe 4 or 5 of them though.  I still see 3 if not 4 being an impact from his first draft.  Hooker, Wilson, Hairston, and Mack.  If you can get Stewart and Basham building into the new scheme you might get a little more.  This draft should be a little better since we have coaches in place that hopefully will be here for a long time.  

17 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

If we can get 3 day 1 starters to make some type of impact I will be happy.  After a few years I would hope for maybe 4 or 5 of them though.  I still see 3 if not 4 being an impact from his first draft.  Hooker, Wilson, Hairston, and Mack.  If you can get Stewart and Basham building into the new scheme you might get a little more.  This draft should be a little better since we have coaches in place that hopefully will be here for a long time.  

Man I hope your right, that is my sentiment, its the one thing about relying heavily on the draft and not hedging your bet with at least a little FA, the draft can be a bit of a crap shoot in terms of what happens with the transition to the pro level. Ballard has deployed a lot of new peeps and technology, to ensure the surprises are minimized, but nothing is guaranteed.

On 3/24/2018 at 5:15 AM, Crunked said:

The Colts have a lot of holes to fill, no doubt we may still add a player from here and there leading up to the draft, but with 4 picks in the first two rounds alone, and thinking back on Quincy Wilson this last year I started thinking how many draft picks will be on the field this year just due to need vs. actual ability made me want to see what everyone thinks would be deemed a successful draft.

So the poll question is based on how many will be legit starters vs. some who will make the field probably before they are ready just out of need. I don't have any stats but I have to believe the average is probably around 70% of 1st and 2nd rounders usually are legit starters out of the gate, so my mind says best case scenario is that we get 3-4 legit starters out of the mess...more than that will be GM of the year level what say you?

If we get Chubb and address our Oline in the second round I’m good.

It's hard to quantify... I chose 4 because I'd expect our 1st and 2nd round picks to all start by year two or they weren't successful picks... 

The reason it is difficult is that if any of them become elite or pro bowl level, it becomes easier to dismiss an underachieving pick... Especially if an elite guy is a 2nd or 3rd round pick... 

In general, though, I'd say that we have to get 4 starters (at least) to call this a successful draft... As it stands, we will be picking 4 players in the first two rounds and it stands to reason that ALL of these guys should develop into starting caliber NFL players. Anything less is a bad pick... Really, I'd like to see our 3rd and 4th round picks be able to start ( by year 2, depending on their positions) considering how many spots should be up for grabs.

I won't say that the draft wasn't a success over a fourth round pick, but the level of competition at some positions will be pitiful this year at TC. Imagine how easy it will be for linebackers to make the 53... It's not far fetched to imagine a late round pick or an UDFA earning one of those starting spots. 

All these positions are up for grabs: G x2, RT, RB, WR2/3, CB, DT x2, DE, LB x3, SS. That’s more than half the starting spots available. Some are more glaring than others, but they can all easily be upgraded. I would expect most of our draft picks in the first 4 rounds at those positions to start. There’s no way we go into the season with Mewhort, slausen, and haeg all starting on the line and Morrison and friends starting at LB. 

say we go chubb DE, Hernandez G, Evans LB, Price G, chubb RB, Warner LB in our first 4 rounds. All those guys are clear upgrades from what we currently have and would likely all start. 

If we we only get 3 starters with the picks we have then “build through the draft” is never going to work. 

Every pick has to make the Pro Bowl this year. I expect whoever we take at 6 to win Rookie of the Year and to be in the MVP race. I also expect us to at minimum to make the AFC Championship Game. I would say Super Bowl but I don't want to be unrealistic. :sarcasm:

Really, I would like to see us pick up at least 3 starters in this draft. I think it would be amazing if all our picks this season actually made the final roster and found a way to contribute this season (special teams, rotational depth).