Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Former Saints Dc Williams Faces "bounty" Punishment (((((Merge)))))

pacolts56

I should say not! No one should be given a SB regardless of "what" happened on the field...if they are officially stripped of it that's humiliating enough. I doubt any of the players who played that SB on the losing team would honor that "transfer" of victory to them because of this....if I was a player I'd still say "we lost"...regardless..."we lost". Just my opinion obviously...

I'd feel the same way. Sure, the "official books" may say that we won (and there would be an asterisk by that anyway), but I would still feel as though we lost

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the media is blowing this way out of proportion. players are targeted all the time. im sure when the jets play the pats their first thought is lets knock out tom brady. same thing when peyton plays the texans or w/e. football is a violent game and players will get hurt its part of the game.

Out of proportion....are you crazy?

These are not allegations, this is the result of a league investigation.

There's no way in the world Goodell can let this go.

Do you realize the avalanche of lawsuits the NFL would face if this kind of PROVEN INTENT was met with a slap on the wrist from the league office? It's 2012.... not 1950, and we have 250-300+ lb. guys running 4.9s at each other. There's enough risk in the game without some * coach running bounties.

Mickey Loomis, Sean Payton, Gregg Williams, the players involved and the Saints organization should be absolutely poleaxed for this so no one even thinks about pulling this crap again.

Now, all those players coming out and saying that the Saints play dirty seem to have been on to something

It certainly causes you to take a step back and think about all the accusations, doesn't it? I've never liked the Saints, but I thought Payton was better than this.

It certainly causes you to take a step back and think about all the accusations, doesn't it? I've never liked the Saints, but I thought Payton was better than this.

I think it was Tuck (or someone from the Falcons, can't remember) who first came out and said it and people didn't pay much attention to it. Then Adrian Peterson came out and said it and again, people didn't pay much attention to it, but I was thinking to myself "if one person claims it, they might be wrong, but if multiple people claim it..."

Out of proportion....are you crazy?

These are not allegations, this is the result of a league investigation.

There's no way in the world Goodell can let this go.

Do you realize the avalanche of lawsuits the NFL would face if this kind of PROVEN INTENT was met with a slap on the wrist from the league office? It's 2012.... not 1950, and we have 250-300+ lb. guys running 4.9s at each other. There's enough risk in the game without some * coach running bounties.

Mickey Loomis, Sean Payton, Gregg Williams, the players involved and the Saints organization should be absolutely poleaxed for this so it no one even thinks about pulling this crap again.

your missing my point completely. the only reason the saints are getting punished is because they got caught. this goes on in almost all defenses. late hits, dog piles you name it it happens.

I think it was Tuck (or someone from the Falcons, can't remember) who first came out and said it and people didn't pay much attention to it. Then Adrian Peterson came out and said it and again, people didn't pay much attention to it, but I was thinking to myself "if one person claims it, they might be wrong, but if multiple people claim it..."

What is also interesting is that the Saints players themselves said that they were going to take 'remember me' shots, regardless of whether or not the QB still had the ball, and still no one paid much attention... And this was not long after the Falcons and Vikings accused them of dirty play.

your missing my point completely. the only reason the saints are getting punished is because they got caught. this goes on in almost all defenses. late hits, dog piles you name it it happens.

Okay, no offense intended here at all. What exactly is your opinion about this issue? And when I say that, I mean: What do you think should be done to the Saints?

Also, do you think every team should be investigated or what?

I am not going to say that I honstly believe that Wiliams just started doing this when he got to the Saints but with that said that's where they have the proof he did it. At least right now they don't have proof that he did it with the Redskins (again I am not saying he didn't I am just pointing out they don't have the proof he did it there.). You can't make a team give another team a pick when you don't have proof to back it up beyond saying well he did it at one place there for he must have done it with the Redskins as well. That would be like punishing the Browns because of Spygate because BB was once the head coach there as well.

Also as Dynasty said the league will make the Saints give up picks not make them give them to other teams.

Apparently some redskins have said that he did.

Okay, no offense intended here at all. What exactly is your opinion about this issue? And when I say that, I mean: What do you think should be done to the Saints?

Also, do you think every team should be investigated or what?

i dont agree with the late hits and i would like our players to be safe, but thats impossible. football is a violent and reckless sport. i just dont find it fair that the saints are the only ones getting blame when the majority of defenses do it.

your missing my point completely. the only reason the saints are getting punished is because they got caught. this goes on in almost all defenses.late hits, dog piles you name it it happens.

No I'm not.

And ALL GMs, head coaches and DCs of those team's defenses know of, participate in and encourage a bounty system...is that what you're saying?

Because if you're accurate... and I highly doubt that.... then NFL owners better buckle up and lawyer up,

They, and perhaps the league itself, would take major financial hits in court for this kind of thing.... and they should.

No I'm not.

And ALL GMs, head coaches and DCs of those team's defenses know of, participate in and encourage a bounty system...is that what you're saying?

Because if you're accurate... and I highly doubt that.... then NFL owners better buckle up and lawyer up,

They, and perhaps the league itself, would take major financial hits in court for this kind of thing.... and they should.

teams will do whatever it takes to get an upper hand on another team. every team has secrets some just are never known my the public

What is also interesting is that the Saints players themselves said that they were going to take 'remember me' shots, regardless of whether or not the QB still had the ball, and still no one paid much attention... And this was not long after the Falcons and Vikings accused them of dirty play.

Yeah. So I think the league was going to be more stringent in the Super Bowl (especially after the beating they gave Favre), but I don't remember any late hits or anything from that game

Yeah. So I think the league was going to be more stringent in the Super Bowl (especially after the beating they gave Favre), but I don't remember any late hits or anything from that game

There was an illegal block in the back on the pick-six.

When the Pats put up 52-7 on the Redskins in their 16-0 regular season, they said Belichick had a dislike for Gregg Williams big time.

Wonder where the roots of the dislike came from, did they work together at some point in time or were they division rivals sometime?

When the Pats put up 52-7 on the Redskins in their 16-0 regular season, they said Belichick had a dislike for Gregg Williams big time.

Wonder where the roots of the dislike came from, did they work together at some point in time or were they division rivals sometime?

Only thing I know that relates them is from '01-03 Williams was the HC of the Bills.

Yep

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82759301/article/williams-reportedly-had-pay-for-play-system-as-skins-dc?module=HP11_breaking_news

The Washington Post reported Friday, after interviewing four players who played under Williams, that Williams operated a similar program when he was defensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins.

I don't think the point is the late hit, per se. With the way rules are written today to favor the QBs, it is almost impossible for defensive players not to commit some amount of "late hits" in every game. The main point is that Greg Williams, a LONG time assistant and former head coach in the league, knowingly flaunted the league rules and violated the CBA agreement by providing these payments/incentives. Every team he has been with...Oilers/Titans, Jaguars, Redskins, and now the Saints...have had a reputation of bounty payments. And with the Jaguars during his tenure, his defense had developed a reputation of stepping across the line of "dirty hits" many times. Not only did he allow the bounty program, he actually paid into it as a management member of the team. When he was told specifically to stop by the GM, he did not.

I think Williams will be made an example by Goodell, and the punishment will be severe.

Are you referring to the one on Peyton?

I think he is. I am just glad no one leveled Peyton like they did with Kurt Warner, maybe someone from the league did let them know that it cannot happen to Peyton. Kurt Warner, even if it might be a legal hit, he was blindsided and I have seen players just push out QBs in harms way (like they did with Peyton) but not level the QB like they did with Warner.

It will take more than that. I am going to guess they have some kinda tape either audio or video to prove the saints one. If some players say yeah he did this all it takes is another one to say no he didn't for it become he said vs he said.

Like I said I am not buying that he didn't do it with the Redskins I am just saying they don't have the proof for it like they do with the Saints or if they do they haven't presented it yet.

Then even if they do they still aren't going to give us a Saints draft pick for it. If they did that other teams are going to say they should get a pick too because you can't say one player is more important than others in the league even though we all know they are.

I think he is. I am just glad no one leveled Peyton like they did with Kurt Warner, maybe someone from the league did let them know that it cannot happen to Peyton. Kurt Warner, even if it might be a legal hit, he was blindsided and I have seen players just push out QBs in harms way (like they did with Peyton) but not level the QB like they did with Warner.

The thing was that there wasn't even a need to really hit Warner like that. If I'm not mistaken the Saints already had about a 28+ pt lead when he threw the interception and it was in the 4th quarter.

Ban the broadcasting of the Saint's 'America's Game' video for eternity.

Strip Brees of all his nick names.

Really, I heard that Philip Daniels had endorsed Gregg's tactics.

At least that's the way they reported it here in Chicago.

Philips payed for the Bears for a short period of time.