Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Former Saints Dc Williams Faces "bounty" Punishment (((((Merge)))))

pacolts56

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If "spygate" was swept under the rug this will/should be as well, unfortanetly...

Which part was "swept under the rug"? The largest fine for a coach in NFL history? The team fine? The loss of a first round pick?

I think one might make an argument for "not enough", because that's subjective. But Spygate was a big deal, it was all over the media, and the NFL punished the team for it. Maybe we have different definitions, but I don't think that is "swept under the rug".

If "spygate" was swept under the rug this will/should be as well, unfortanetly...

Why should this be swept under the rug? No I disagree to the fullest. They should try their best to right the wrongs, not cover it up like cowards.

Not this time. Goodell is already all over it. Like Rich Eisen tweeted earlier today, "To mix metaphors, it's sort of a hanging curve for the Commish and he's got the bat speed."

Which part was "swept under the rug"? The largest fine for a coach in NFL history? The team fine? The loss of a first round pick?

I think one might make an argument for "not enough", because that's subjective. But Spygate was a big deal, it was all over the media, and the NFL punished the team for it. Maybe we have different definitions, but I don't think that is "swept under the rug".

I don't care to get into a debate over his but if you are OK with the punishment doled out then you are obviously a better man than me?

Certain situations are "example" situations. The NFL is still playing "catch up" with the fans for the lock-out from last year. I think there is 0% chance this will get swept under the rug, and the chances are high this could be used to set an example for future situations like this. Look for the punishments to be strong.

Disgusting. Always knew the Saints were classless. You could see it in their play. One specific play was when all the DBs knocked out and pushed out of bounds the opposing teams receivers on a last second play to try and win the game..

You can just tell they have no class. Everything they do screams scumbag organization. I do feel for the owner though, cuz it sounds like he told them to stop this once he got wind of it, but they didn't listen to the man writing their checks.

Well the Saints won't lose a 1st round pick because they don't have one. . I was just reading an article

the funny part is guess who the Saints traded their 1st round pick to?

(puts on flame shield)

What do you think the penalties should be?

Heres what I would do if I was the commish:

1. Ban the DC,Greg Williams for life from any NFL activities & reimbursh all salary from the time of the incident.

2. Suspend HC Payton for 5 years from any coaching/announcing gigs from the NFL & also reimbursh all salary from time of said incidents.As HC, its his responsibility for what goes down on his team.

3. Take away Lombardi trophy Saints won and give it to Colts. Manning will now have 2 rings cementing his Legact as G.O.A.T.

4. Suspend all contract negotiations between Brees & Saints, forbidding Saints from resigning him.

5.Forfeit 1st & 2nd round picks for the next three drafts.

The NFL needs to come down FAST & HARD on Saints for this.

FJC...Do you remember the '85 Bears..

they were said to have had 'knockout' bountys on the other teams QBs

there's no place for this...

Football has enough head injury problems without headhunters

That was in '85. Things have changed. There were a lot of things going on in football and professional sports that are now not acceptable. This is one of them. And the Saints (and Williams) will probably be made an example of here.

1. Ban the DC,Greg Williams for life from any NFL activities & reimbursh all salary from the time of the incident.

2. Suspend HC Payton for 5 years from any coaching/announcing gigs from the NFL & also reimbursh all salary from time of said incidents.As HC, its his responsibility for what goes down on his team.

3. Take away Lombardi trophy Saints won and give it to Colts. Manning will now have 2 rings cementing his Legact as G.O.A.T.

4. Suspend all contract negotiations between Brees & Saints, forbidding Saints from resigning him.

1. I think Williams will resign before the NFL has a chance to do anything to him

2. 5 years...no way. I see maybe a 6-game suspension for Payton.

3. They might be forced to "vacate" the victory, but it won't be "given" to the Colts.

4. Because of the players union, that will never happen. You can't take away a player's right to open negotiation with a team. Legally that would never stand.

5. 1st and 2nd round picks for 3 years...again, never happen. I can see a 1st round pic gone for maybe 2 years.

And don't forget about the Redskins. Expect it to come down hard on them as well...

While I have no doubt they would've taken a dirty shot at Manning if they had the chance in the SB, they should not give the win to us because there was no dirty play. It would be a empty championship.

Now if they strip the title and don't award it to anyone, I can get behind that.

There's no way that other teams can be compensated for this, if you're expecting anything of the sort then you're gonna be pretty upset when it doesn't happen. The Saints will be punished and punished strongly for this. You have a commish that has made player safety his priority and this story comes out and slaps him in the face. IMO the spygate penalties for the Pats will be at least doubled for the Saints.

Speaking of spygate and sweeping it under the rug. The NFL couldn't burn those tapes fast enough, and while the penalties were deemed harsh by some, to others it wasn't enough. They very easily could have stripped titles or at the very least put an * next to them, like baseball does with it's tainted stats. The NFL didn't want a permanent black eye over it so they tried to move it along as quickly as possible and down play the importance of the tapes. The only people that think spygate was no big deal is the Pats fans.

i think the media is blowing this way out of proportion. players are targeted all the time. im sure when the jets play the pats their first thought is lets knock out tom brady. same thing when peyton plays the texans or w/e. football is a violent game and players will get hurt its part of the game.

The Colts will not..and should not get draft picks for something that happened 6 seasons ago. If the NFL starts going that far back why not go all the way to every team who ever had a player injured playing against a Greg Williams coached defense?

Now punishing the Saints, which the investigation actually involves, makes sense. Suspend and heavily fine the staff and maybe dock some lower round draft picks for a season or two would make sense to me if the findings hold up.

While I have no doubt they would've taken a dirty shot at Manning if they had the chance in the SB, they should not give the win to us because there was no dirty play. It would be a empty championship.

Now if they strip the title and don't award it to anyone, I can get behind that.

No title is going to be stripped...there is no way to prove if any unfair advantage was gained or what influence it might have had on games. They will be punished for the action, as they should, and people will move on and life will continue after.

It's despicable, but overall, the Saints aren't even at the top of the league for illegal hits. Warner has said that the hit on him was legal so he can't get too mad at it. I don't think the punishment will be as severe as mentioned above. No way they forfeit their championship. I think Payton will be suspended for a few games - not for 5 years. Williams might have to be fired even though he's with a different team now.

This is where Peyton's neck injury is assumed to have started. This story could develop VERY quickly, and in a VERY large way. Look for Williams to resign soon. And look for the Colts to be compensated with some kind of draft pics from the Redskins; if not this year, definitely next year.

I would agree with this part only if A.) There is proof that that is the play that injured him. B.) It would have happened in the past 2 seasons.

1. I think Williams will resign before the NFL has a chance to do anything to him

2. 5 years...no way. I see maybe a 6-game suspension for Payton.

3. They might be forced to "vacate" the victory, but it won't be "given" to the Colts.

4. Because of the players union, that will never happen. You can't take away a player's right to open negotiation with a team. Legally that would never stand.

5. 1st and 2nd round picks for 3 years...again, never happen. I can see a 1st round pic gone for maybe 2 years.

And don't forget about the Redskins. Expect it to come down hard on them as well...

Ok your looking at it from a logical point while I was looking at it as REVENGE for spoiling our 2nd title under Manning. Also I want to add they should change their official name to the Saints with no capital a.

The Colts will not..and should not get draft picks for something that happened 6 seasons ago. If the NFL starts going that far back why not go all the way to every team who ever had a player injured playing against a Greg Williams coached defense?

Now punishing the Saints, which the investigation actually involves, makes sense. Suspend and heavily fine the staff and maybe dock some lower round draft picks for a season or two would make sense to me if the findings hold up.

As far as going back to 2006, it's called investigation. If players see this blowing up in a major way, there might be some former players that decide to talk. Believe me, focus is currently on the Saints, but quickly it's developing into looking at Williams' full past...including the Redskins, Jaguars, etc. If they see a trend, investigate, and find that players, management and ownership were fully aware of the program even back in '06, then yes...I can see the Skins and Snyder getting nailed on this as well with strong sanctions.