Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Former Saints Dc Williams Faces "bounty" Punishment (((((Merge)))))

pacolts56

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the media is blowing this way out of proportion. players are targeted all the time. im sure when the jets play the pats their first thought is lets knock out tom brady. same thing when peyton plays the texans or w/e. football is a violent game and players will get hurt its part of the game.

So you are okay with this?

So you are okay with this?

no. this is a horrible thing, but this goes on in every team. the saints are just the only team that were exposed. even former players are admitting they would get incentives for their performance

no. this is a horrible thing, but this goes on in every team. the saints are just the only team that were exposed. even former players are admitting they would get incentives for their performance

Performance. Meaning Interceptions and forced fumbles. Not injuring other players.

Performance. Meaning Interceptions and forced fumbles. Not injuring other players.

you really expect them to admit they were getting paid to hurt people. the whole mind set of a defensive player is to hurt people

you really expect them to admit they were getting paid to hurt people. the whole mind set of a defensive player is to hurt people

How many of them get extra money when they give a guy a concussion or break his ankle?

Maybe. Maybe not. There's no way to prove it or disprove it,

and thats my point. you cant say its not happening. people are jumping on the saints because they got caught, but refuse to acknowledge that most defenses probably do it as well and just havent been caught. the league will make an example of the saints and you'll never hear of a another team doing what the saints did and thats a real shame.

and thats my point. you cant say its not happening. people are jumping on the saints because they got caught, but refuse to acknowledge that most defenses probably do it as well and just havent been caught. the league will make an example of the saints and you'll never hear of a another team doing what the saints did and thats a real shame.

Innocent until proven guilty. IMO

And you can't say that they are.

You could be taking illegal drugs right now. So I'm going to claim that you are. I can't disprove it, and it would be *ic to claim that you are without any proof whatsoever, but I'll claim it anyway.

That's what you're saying.

And you can't say that they are.

You could be taking illegal drugs right now. So I'm going to claim that you are. I can't disprove it, and it would be *ic to claim that you are without any proof whatsoever, but I'll claim it anyway.

That's what you're saying.

no thats not what im saying. players have even come out and said they have done this. one former player even said this is a tradition in the nfl.

Guys, I have to admit... I'm actually Cooper Manning. I've been spying on this forum for a while now. Don't say I'm wrong because you can't prove it.

But, I'm Cooper Manning.....

Add Buffalo to the list.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article747663.ece

During his time as Buffalo Bills head coach, Gregg Williams promoted cash bonuses for delivering hits that seriously injured opponents, former safety Coy Wire told The Buffalo News.

"There was financial compensation," Wire said.

Three other defensive players from that era, speaking to The News on condition of anonymity, confirmed that a bounty system existed during Williams' time with the Bills. Two of those players said cash bonuses were paid for "knockout shots" that sent opponents out of games.

The NFL needs to suspend Gregg Williams indefinitely on Monday and then ban him after the take stock in what was done in New Orleans, Washington, Buffalo, Tennessee and Jacksonville.

That tickes me off even more now that the hit Peyton took from Washington may have been a bounty placed by Greg Williams. I mean playing hard and to the whistle and getting a good clean hit on someone is fine. But intentionally trying, and getting paid, for taking out players......

Isn't that also some kind of an infringement on the Salary Cap? Paying people undocumented moneys on game day performance (unnecessarily rough hits).

At the time that play happened I felt it was a dirty intentional hit. This news about Greg Williams doesn't surprise me one bit.

Are you saying that NFL players wouldn't have hit Peyton without that bounty?

The bounty is despicable, and will be punished, but NFL players want to hit the QB no matter what.

There is a big difference from a "hit" and the way Peyton got jacked up on that play.

There is a big difference from a "hit" and the way Peyton got jacked up on that play.

The thing that has always bothered me about that play was that there was no flag for roughing the passer. Yet in the same game before the Manning hit Freeney got his first sack of the season taken away for barely brushing Brunell's helmet. I understand what Freeney did was against the rules and I have no issue with the Freeney flag but if you are giong to call the ticky tack on Freeney how on earth do you not call that hit on Peyton?

Last September, Cindy Boren of the Washington Post wrote an article in which ex-Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy put the start of Peyton Manning's longstanding neck injuries and surgeries at a game between the Colts and the Redskins on October 22, 2006. On one play, Manning was given a "high-low" hit by defensive linemen Andre Carter and Phillip Daniels.

Those types of hits, in which two defensive players aim for different halves of an offensive player's body, are among the most dangerous in football.

After the play, Manning lay on the ground for a brief time, got up, and as Dungy told Peter King of SI.com and NBC Sports last September, shook his right arm "as if trying to get the feeling back in it."

From Boren's story

]"Earlier in the game," Dungy said, "I'm outraged that there was a flag for roughing-the-passer on Dwight Freeney for just grazing the quarterback's helmet. So I'm yelling at the ref [scott Green], 'Where's the flag! Where's the flag!' And I don't yell much, but I did then. So I didn't notice Peyton calling timeout and being shaken up. Peyton came to the sideline and said to [backup] Jim Sorgi, 'Jim, start warming up.' As the timeout went on, he said to us, 'I can stay in, but we need to run the ball here.' "

"Then we sort of forgot about it at halftime, and Peyton seemed fine," Dungy said. "He lit it up in the second half. He was on fire [throwing for 244 yards and three touchdowns]. But that's the year we started cutting back on his throws at practice. I'm not putting two plus two together. I just figure he's getting older and he needs some time off, he's made enough throws. But now, as I look back on it, there's no doubt in my mind that this was the start of his neck problems."

"The guy wouldn't let go of my head," Manning said after the game of Daniels, who was fined $5,000 by the NFL for the hit. "I looked at my helmet to see if my head was in it."

Matt Bowen of the National Football Post and the Chicago Tribune.

Bowen played strong safety in the NFL for seven years, and he's now one of the better Xs-and-Os analysts in the business. He played for Williams in 2004 and 2005, and

wrote this in the Tribune about Williams' system, among other things

The cash was kept stashed away at the team facility, in safe hands. After coaches reviewed Sunday's film, we paid it back out. Our accountability, governed by our accounting.

That's right. We got paid for big hits, clean hits by the rule book.

Money came in for more than watching a guy leave the field. We earned extra for interceptions, sacks and forced fumbles. If the till wasn't paid out, we just rolled it over.

Money jumped in the playoffs. A bigger stage equaled more coin. Instead of a few hundred dollars, now you got a thousand, maybe more, depending on the player.

That's the truth. I can't sugarcoat this. It was a system we all bought into.

I ate it up

"If that meant playing through the whistle or going low on a tackle, I did it," Bowen went on to write, perhaps explaining the conflict between the way players feel -- the way they think they have to feel -- when they're in the game and after they retire.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/dungy-gregg-willi...

Video of hit, originaly by firejimcaldwell, on 02 March 2012 - 05:52 PM, : , comment # 47 in http://forums.colts....ge/page__st__40

My Comment

Personally I have seen other closeups of this before in other videos making it look much worse as angle was from behind Peyton & lower to ground , with head being snapped back high as being hit low but watch the entire video as they repeat the hit a few times and check out Peytons head being snapped back, and at video start him grabbing the arm lying on the ground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nBxHse5s74&feature=player_embedded

It was technically legal, but totally unnecessary. Here is the video for anyone who doesn't remember it.

That looks like it was on purpose IMO

I totally agree, was just saying considered legal, surely wasn't Justified in my view either

& the video I saw from a higher angle showing the throw, the hit, The player running back with the IT and the hit made it seem much worse , Man was the Defensive player really running up to a slower moving Warner and just driving the hit into him and warner wasnt going to make that tackle to me

I believe its posted elsewhere on a forum

you want just to say majority then? you think ray lewis when goes after a qb or rb or wr that hes not looking to hurt someone? james harrison almost always tries to kill someone.

Cheap-assed shots made by PUNKS. If you're not man enough to play the game legit, get out. And you can quote me to them.

Couldn't you say the same thing for spygate? I mean the one MAIN difference is all the former coaches came out and said as much. This is a BIG deal because the NFL has made a BIG deal on player safety and this all but spits in the commish face on it. 9doesnt help the Saints been skating on thin ice for a few yrs either.)

Incentives for performance is different thant "intently injure" and if you argue that..well I have no words.

This sports is violent enought while played within the rules, there is no room for this criminal behavior. As a fan, I want to see healthy playes making great plays, I don't want to see superstars injured because there was a "bounty" put on them.

when Williams left Redskins New DC officially ended bounty system

A "bounty" system that Gregg Williams allegedly instituted during his Redskins tenure ended after Greg Blache replaced him as defensive coordinator, two unnamed players

told The Washington Post

Williams, who ran coach Joe Gibbs' defense from 2004 through 2007, was let go in January 2008. The two players told The Post that Blache didn't approve of Williams' "bounty" program and discontinued it before the start of the 2008 season.

Blache, who served as defensive line coach under Williams, declined to discuss the situation when reached by The Post on Saturday.

NEW WRINKLE

According to The Post's report, Williams listed prices on opposing players' heads,

paying out extra if the defender knew the player or had gone to college with him ( wow more to take out a friend )

The Post previously reported that the NFL will investigate the allegations made by five Redskins players and a former coach that Williams

operated a "pay for performance" system

similar to the one

the league revealed he administered

from 2009 to 2011 with the

New Orleans Saints

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8275f12a/article/report-blache-halted-bounty-system-in-dc-after-williams-exit

Daniels now as admits to bounty system when Redskins hit Manning

In Washington they were known as “kill shots,” and though neither Phillip Daniels nor Andre Carter ended Peyton Manning’s day, someone had to earn a bonus when

Manning was essentially folded in half

during a game in Indianapolis in 2006. The play is almost disturbing to watch.

Carter hammers Manning from the left side while Daniels,

who admitted to being part of a bounty program by telephone to The Post on Friday night, gets him high — right in Manning’s neck. Many Colts fans fear Manning’s neck was never the same after that play.

Some had a queasy feeling in their stomach when

defensive coordinator Gregg Williams

Others, afraid for their jobs, kept their mouths shut.

But some, such as Matt Bowen, felt a euphoric rush, as if the ante of a dangerous sport had been impossibly upped, as if, in some primeval way, even more of the game’s rawness had been exposed,

“It’s an ugly tradition,” Bowen, a former safety under Williams in 2004 and 2005 in Washington said by telephone Saturday afternoon. “I’m not proud of it.

I don't see the penalty on the Saints being worse than the Pats for Spygate. The Pats were caught cheating, and not to diminish what the Saints did, but I find cheating worse than paying players to do something that (sadly) happens in the game all the time. Still, I could see the punishment being the same. Loss of a first rounder and a huge fine.

Now, individually, Williams needs to be punished severely. I would say a year's suspension. You need to encourage other coaches to avoid such things. Maybe if they lose a year in the NFL, it'll put a stop to it.

I don't see the penalty on the Saints being worse than the Pats for Spygate. The Pats were caught cheating, and not to diminish what the Saints did, but I find cheating worse than paying players to do something that (sadly) happens in the game all the time. Still, I could see the punishment being the same. Loss of a first rounder and a huge fine.

Now, individually, Williams needs to be punished severely. I would say a year's suspension. You need to encourage other coaches to avoid such things. Maybe if they lose a year in the NFL, it'll put a stop to it.

The thing is that they were told to stop it by the league and kept on doing it anyway. I think it probably happens to a certain degree with most teams, but when it involves asking players to intentionally injure, when it comes directly from the coaches, and when everyone ignores direct orders to knock it off, it's pretty darn serious.

I think sean Payton will end up with a suspension by the time it's all done.

1st off these bounties were to take players out which depending on the player could effect the NFL bottom line (say it was Brady/Manning/Peterson etc). Second what will make the Saints punishment a lot WORSE than the Spygate is simple they lied to the Commish and if there is on thing the commish hates is being lied to just ask Michael Vick. So they will lose draft PICKS huge fines and I expect suspensions without pay.

Always knew Williams was shady and Saints have always been a dirty team.

This just makes it official.

How did you get this picture of my cat, Smokie? Maybe she is using her on computer and is posting herself. If this is your cat he or she seems identical to Smokie.