Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign mewhort

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

two starting guards for 4.5mil.  CB is a business man for sure.

Is very cap friendly that is for certain.

But both are question marks.  Slauson had a torn Biceps last year and is 32.  Mewhort has spent a lot of time injured in the last 2 years.

But the OL certainly looks a lot better then it did a few days ago.  

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Is very cap friendly that is for certain.

But both are question marks.  Slauson had a torn Biceps last year and is 32.  Mewhort has spent a lot of time injured in the last 2 years.

But the OL certainly looks a lot better then it did a few days ago.  

Any player you sign is a question mark.  Norwell could get hurt day one of training camp.  That being said I do see what you are saying. These guys are stop gaps/prove it deals.  You hope they stay healthy obviously and draft some guys.  If the draft picks take the spots, you have little money to worry about.

15 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Any player you sign is a question mark.  Norwell could get hurt day one of training camp.  That being said I do see what you are saying. These guys are stop gaps/prove it deals.  You hope they stay healthy obviously and draft some guys.  If the draft picks take the spots, you have little money to worry about.

Some guys are bigger question marks then others.  

Norwell could get hurt on day one of training camp and that would be unlucky because he's been pretty reliable previously.

Mewhort getting hurt however would be predictable.  

Slauson I don't know his overall injury history but I'm more concerned about a 32 year old bouncing back from a torn biceps and being able to play at a high level again.  Given his age and his previous injury he could just go out there and suck. 

Don't get me wrong, OL looks better.  But the reason these guys where so cheap is because of how big of question marks they are.   

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Some guys are bigger question marks then others.  

Norwell could get hurt on day one of training camp and that would be unlucky because he's been pretty reliable previously.

Mewhort getting hurt however would be predictable.  

Slauson I don't know his overall injury history but I'm more concerned about a 32 year old bouncing back from a torn biceps and being able to play at a high level again.  Given his age and his previous injury he could just go out there and suck. 

Don't get me wrong, OL looks better.  But the reason these guys where so cheap is because of how big of question marks they are.   

Oh I agree completely.  Jack did not have a big market at all.  Slauson probably didn't either.  Ballard sees a quick patch and then you can still draft a guy in the mid rounds to learn from them.  Jack still has hope and maybe he stays healthy and earns another longer contract.  Truly is a prove-it deal for him.  I still hope we grab at least 2 OL guys in the draft.  Hopefully another guy or two in FA as well.  We need depth for sure.

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Oh I agree completely.  Jack did not have a big market at all.  Slauson probably didn't either.  Ballard sees a quick patch and then you can still draft a guy in the mid rounds to learn from them.  Jack still has hope and maybe he stays healthy and earns another longer contract.  Truly is a prove-it deal for him.  I still hope we grab at least 2 OL guys in the draft.  Hopefully another guy or two in FA as well.  We need depth for sure.

I covered this in another thread but I'm a believer that if we draft someone like Nelson we can rotate Mewhort over to RT.  When he got pulled back to guard previously it wasn't because he was playing bad but because the guys we had there where getting Luck killed. 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I covered this in another thread but I'm a believer that if we draft someone like Nelson we can rotate Mewhort over to RT.  When he got pulled back to guard previously it wasn't because he was playing bad but because the guys we had there where getting Luck killed. 

Yea I agree.  I think he would be our best option or at least would win that spot over Haeg and Good.  Nelson would be solid as well.  I could see us grabbing someone like Price and then Braden Smith with a 2nd and 3rd.  Get two young guys that can sure up the interior for the future.  You still have Jack playing RT and Slauson either plays and teaches or is depth.

On 3/22/2018 at 10:19 AM, DaColts85 said:

Yea I agree.  I think he would be our best option or at least would win that spot over Haeg and Good.  Nelson would be solid as well.  I could see us grabbing someone like Price and then Braden Smith with a 2nd and 3rd.  Get two young guys that can sure up the interior for the future.  You still have Jack playing RT and Slauson either plays and teaches or is depth.

I'm sure Slauson will at least start the season.  A guy like Nelson might be ready to go on day 1.  But some of the 2nd round guys could probably use a little bit of time, maybe half the season or so to break into the roll and learn the ropes a bit. 

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

I'm sure Slauson will at least start the season.  A guy like Nelson might be ready to go on day 1.  But some of the 2nd round guys could probably use a little bit of time, maybe half the season or so to break into the roll and learn the ropes a bit. 

I would be fine with either scenario.  If a rookie is starting it is hopefully because they are outplaying the others and not just based on injuries.  I see Slauson having enough in the tank to give us stability this year for sure.  I will say though a few 2nd rounders I can see being good enough to possibly slide in day 1.  Billy Price, Isiah Wynne, and Hernandez if they are there and we grab them.  Regardless the competition has to be there.