Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard interview 11am ET

TKnight24

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I really hope that's not the case. The Colts WR group was weak last season...and it's even worse now...especially long-term.

The Colts still need two WRs. Meredith would be a good get, but he too is nothing more than a question mark with his injury. 

I believe there are starting WRs in rounds 2-3 of this draft. You might be able to get a top 3 WR prospect at that point. For example, Christian Kirk would immediately be the second best WR on this team. 

So I will be pretty disappointed if Ballard passes up WR.

I agree,  he's definetly not done. 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

this draft is very deep on OGs......and I guess regarding Nelson, it'll depend on who's still available at 6.

His mention of starting guards in the second rd. has me thinking if it's between Nelson or Chubb he might take Chubb since the ER class isn't that great. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

His mention of starting guards in the second rd. has me thinking if it's between Nelson or Chubb he might take Chubb since the ER class isn't that great. 

that's very true....either way, we know the Colts should get an elite prospect at 6...whether it be, Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson.

23 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

that's very true....either way, we know the Colts should get an elite prospect at 6...whether it be, Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson.

1. Bring Allen in he just got cut by the jags .... he will bolster our WR core. 

2. If a QB goes 1-3 we have a very GOOD .... 95% chance to grab Chubb! If CB is saying there are good G’s in the second round.

3. If a QB goes 1-4 we are grabbing Chubb 100%. We are filling spots and with his mention of line in second rounds shows to me he’s looking at Barkley or Chubb .... I think Barkley goes #4 personally to browns. 

1. Darnold 

2. If giants don’t trade back they take barkley if not they take a future QB in Rosen/Allen/may

3. Rosen/Allen/may

4. Browns take Barkley 

5. Broncos take Rosen/Allen/may

6. Chubb

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I really think it will be be between Nelson and Chubb or even Barkley if he ends up falling he is just to good to pass up on matter of fact they all three are. I will be slightly disappointed if one of the three are not drafted by the Colts.

54 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Next year's DL class is loaded with pass rushers (edge and interior). For that, I think we might see Ballard go after a special player at another position, like ILB and S.

There is usually isn't two potentially ellite ILBs in a draft...and a great ILB class comes along once every several years (2012, 2007)...and it would be prudent to take advantage. So I think ILB could be his focus...given the importance of the position in the new defensive scheme (Kuechly, Wagner, Urlacher), his experience with having elite ILBs in Urlacher and Derrick Johnson...and the fact that he didn't sign any of the starting ILBs that were available. 

SS is another position that will be very important to this defense (Bob Sanders and John Lynch being examples). And I think he also could really like what Fitzpatrick and James could bring to the defense and the locker room. Though I admit going S back-to-back years would be unusual.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

We spent money in free agency last year.  We are and will likely continue to spend money in free agency this year.  Whether you spend it and land an all-pro like Norwell or add up a few Autry, Sheard, Simon and Ebron-types, it's still being spent.  Sure, it's lower risk, but when you have no game changers, difference makers or blue chip players on your roster, I'm not sure it's wise.  That said, I don't buy that it was a conscious decision on Ballard's part.  The better free agents simply chose other destinations, and this is how you save face.

I think its a combination of the "better" free agents chosing other destinations AND the team not wanting to counter their offers with even more money

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Back to back picks in the 2nd could be used both on Guards but if Mewhort stays, Guard and tackle or Tackle and defensive player 

so many options, I love it 

Yep. I think if Chubb is taken in the first one of those 3 2nd round picks will be best offensive lineman available...reguardless of position. We need help on the outside as much as the inside. I think we focus on the trenches in the first couple rounds ER, DT and Ol.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Ballard said he didn't understand how the local fans felt about new england until the McDaniels saga. Said the Rivalry is back on just popped out

Umm...excuse me?

How does someone taking over as gm of a franchise that had a historic player with historic games against the patriots NOT understand colts fans feelings about New England? 

Just now, Narcosys said:

Umm...excuse me?

How does someone taking over as gm of a franchise that had a historic player with historic games against the patriots NOT understand colts fans feelings about New England? 

he said he underestimated the hatred between the Colts and Patriots. 

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think its a combination of the "better" free agents chosing other destinations AND the team not wanting to counter their offers with even more money

Aside from a couple of guys, can we finally admit that this year's crop of free agents just isn't that good, and next year's is head & shoulders above it as far as talent goes? I know we all wanted Norwell, but do we actually expect him to live up to that contract that he just got from the Jags?

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's pretty common knowledge that they're the NFL dumping ground for large, dead money contracts, so I'd be surprised if they weren't the first team that he called.

and they're in salary cap hell. they were sitting at just 350,000 OVER the cap 2 weeks ago. They couldnt afford it, even after the Suh release, they're not gonna want to spend half the savings from releasing Suh on one player

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Aside from a couple of guys, can we finally admit that this year's crop of free agents just isn't that good, and next year's is head & shoulders above it as far as talent goes? I know we all wanted Norwell, but do we actually expect him to live up to that contract that he just got from the Jags?

next year, with our roll over from this year, we'll be looking at over 100 milion in cap space I bet.  Currently forecasted to have 83 million for next year NOT counting roll over

2 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

I call bull. He knew what he was saying/doing.

Lol that's what I said. How do you not grasp the gravity of the rivalry for a team you are managing?! Whether not understanding or underestimating, how do you not?

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

speaking of the jags, as of right now... for 2019, they'll be 29 million OVER the cap!

I expect Ballard to stay where he is at 6. It would be highly unlikely that Barkley, Nelson, and Chubb are all gone from there considering the QBs in this draft and the teams that are targeting qbs. For sure....Browns, Jets, Bills, Arizona and teams that are likely...Denver, Giants, and dark horse like Miami, Cincy, LAC, Pitt. With those odds 3-4 are pretty sure to come off the board this year given the crop we have. I'd love to land a stud LB but I think those go in the first. Considering we have back to back picks in the second....very seldom do teams draft back to back that early. I'd expect him to field a lot of calls and look to move back and get an additional 3rd where there will still be some value left. I think OL/DT will have a lot of value on the board early in the second and we should target those positions then. Just my hunch....but a that 37 pick I think gets moved.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard has mentioned a deep O line (or was it just Guards) in this draft before, so I guarantee that we pick at least one guard, and probably as high as round two now. 

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I really hope that's not the case. The Colts WR group was weak last season...and it's even worse now...especially long-term.

The Colts still need two WRs. Meredith would be a good get, but he too is nothing more than a question mark with his injury. 

I believe there are starting WRs in rounds 2-3 of this draft. You might be able to get a top 3 WR prospect at that point. For example, Christian Kirk would immediately be the second best WR on this team. 

So I will be pretty disappointed if Ballard passes up WR.

He basically said Grant would be great as our #3, but we'd be okay if he was our #2.  Certainly did not imply we would not address the position, I think he's just saying we could survive as is if it comes to that.

15 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Really?

He said he wanted Melvin back just before FA but couldn't agree on money.

Could be that he wanted him back, he wasn’t a pure scheme fit and would only bring him back for a certain price tag. I mean 6.5 ain’t a lot for a starting cb who performed like he did last year but if CB is concerned over scheme, why would you pay full price for a guy who may not fit? A lower cost let’s see if you fit price tag would make sense for the team, not as much for the player. Of course, CB could be just performing GM talk and just speaking to make us fans know he hears them and he is staying engaged. 

18 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

He basically said Grant would be great as our #3, but we'd be okay if he was our #2.  Certainly did not imply we would not address the position, I think he's just saying we could survive as is if it comes to that.

Hilton-grant-Rodgers is not a survivable group of receivers. We need to draft at least one WR if not two. Usually takes 2-3 years for receivers to hit their stride. So draft a couple now.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Something he said stood out to me. He said there are Guards in rounds 2-4 that can start right away. I think we may get two of them in that range this year. Will do a mock in a bit with two Guards in that range.

Interesting.  Does that mean not taking Nelson in the first? Perhaps it’s going to be Chubb or a trade back.  This is a deep draft for offensive linemen so it would make some sense. 

51 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Umm...excuse me?

Guess he figured all that died when we released Peyton.  He figured wrong. 

1 hour ago, Aaron86 said:

I really think it will be be between Nelson and Chubb or even Barkley if he ends up falling he is just to good to pass up on matter of fact they all three are. I will be slightly disappointed if one of the three are not drafted by the Colts.

IMO I don't think you will be disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Guess he figured all that died when we released Peyton.  He figured wrong. 

To be honest it did die off for a little while. But then the whole “it’s all Colts fans fault for Deflategate, waaah waah wah...” b.s. started up. And then of course the banner ridicule. McDaniels was just the tip of the iceberg.

Can’t stand that organization and their bratty entitled fans. 

1 minute ago, DraftMaster said:

Who is Burns? You mean Hurns...

Sorry, I am typing one handed. I got a serious dog bite on my right hand and I am right handed.

Pit bull bites not only are ugly but just the force of the bite bruises the bones deep down inside.