Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could the Colts Parlay a 2nd rounder for Irving?

6 hours ago, krunk said:

Athletically speaking I agree and I want the kid based on that. However second round picks which is what Dallas is asking need to have somewhat clean off the field profiles. I have some concern over his decision making. The PED suspension, someone mention a prior domestic abuse case somewhere. Along with that is missing games due to injury. That is going to give Ballard some pause. Hopefully they feel comfortable because he looks like a game changer to me. It gives me concern that Dallas had concern over giving him a long term deal mostly over injuries.

Here’s the article I read that mentions the domestic violence (point 8) and the school incident is point 7. He definitely has the tools and CB should be familiar with him from KC. Our DC should know him a bit more to hopefully fill them in all.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2018/03/04/10-things-know-cowboys-dl-david-irving-including-tumultuous-past-dikembe-mutombo-comparison

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Struggled to get to the QB?

7 sacks last year.      Struggled?

In 8 games and 7 sacks !   He missed last 4 with a concussion.  Dallas fans and writers were surprised they didn't put a 1st. rd. tender on him which certainly would have kept him there.  But a 2nd?  They are very worried right now.  Especially with our release of Hankins.   We can easily acquire him and Dallas can't match.  And we have the Eberflus connection again and Irving is only 24.  I think there is a very high probability we sign him. 

Wouldn't doubt if we trade down again and add another 2nd.

If you have the cap space and extra picks, why not?  Take a chance.  It's pretty clear we're having trouble attracting free agents, so you have to be creative.

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

In 8 games and 7 sacks !   He missed last 4 with a concussion.  Dallas fans and writers were surprised they didn't put a 1st. rd. tender on him which certainly would have kept him there.  But a 2nd?  They are very worried right now.  Especially with our release of Hankins.   We can easily acquire him and Dallas can't match.  And we have the Eberflus connection again and Irving is only 24.  I think there is a very high probability we sign him. 

I'm a little confused...

Is the tender on Irving, does that give the Cowboys our second round pick?   Pick 36?     

Ir or is it simply a matter of the right to match which they either will or they won't depending on the dollar figure?

If it's match or not match, then....   ok.

But if it's pick 36 for this guy?   Well...  then I'm not so sure....?    He's not clean.   He's got baggage.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm a little confused...

Is the tender on Irving, does that give the Cowboys our second round pick?   Pick 36?     

Ir or is it simply a matter of the right to match which they either will or they won't depending on the dollar figure?

But if it's pick 36 for this guy?   Well...  then I'm not so sure....?    He's not clean.   He's got baggage.

It's the right to match and if they don't match they get our pick. What I don't get is whether we can choose which of the second rounders we should give them. 

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm a little confused...

If they don't match they get our original 2nd. pick. Pick 36.  Don't worry we won't do it unless they think he is worth it and the money.  I trust Ballard and Eberflus here. I think he could be a future star.  Many experts thought he should have received a 1st. rd. tender and Dallas gambled with a 2nd.  Now they're sweating!  Remember Lawrence didn't get going right away and now look at him with a franchise tag.  And we still have pick 37 etc.  I would be surprised if we are not looking into this especially with the quick departure of Hankins right after the trade.  Ballard has a plan right?  We can only guess what it is. 

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If they don't match they get our original 2nd. pick. Pick 36.  Don't worry we won't do it unless they think he is worth it and the money.  I trust Ballard and Eberflus here. I think he could be a future star.  Many experts thought he should have received a 1st. rd. tender and Dallas gambled with a 2nd.  Now they're sweating!  Remember Lawrence didn't get going right away and now look at him with a franchise tag.  And we still have pick 37 etc.  I would be surprised if we are not looking into this especially with the quick departure of Hankins right after the trade.  Ballard has a plan right?  We can only guess what it is. 

Are we sure that they get our original pick or can we choose which one? 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Unfortunately I read they get our original.  It would be nice if the article was wrong but the author seemed to know what he was talking about.  

Yeah... I don't think I'd do that. I think I would rather have Hurst or Bryan at the top of the second than Irving. This is having in mind salary considerations and the stage of development of the roster. 

If he stays healthy and out of trouble, he's worth the #36.  Boom potential.  The guy could have had 12-14 sacks last year.  If Buffalo or Miami call, I'm trading down again, so I would have no problem spending a #2.  It's worth the risk, and you certainly have the cap space.

As I have said before Irving has so much upside it's too much to ignore. As we know there have been plenty busts in the draft and in every round.  He has shown he can play . If it were me I would give him a very good contract to assure his signing but protections built in in case he messes up again with a suspension.  Players mature at different times and seeing a lucrative contract out there that could be entirely jeopardized by one stupid mistake is one huge motivator.  It would be for me anyway.  Eberflus should know him and his potential very well.  I have to trust Ballard and Eberflus here.  If satisfied they know how to put a contract together and his agent should be expecting some protections.  I think there is a deadline to tender an offer.  Something like April 20th. I believe.  If they feel good about where he is I would do it.  It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out either way. 

16 hours ago, Indy Fan said:

He does have character concerns like a domestic violence charge and theft/destruction of property when playing at Iowa. Hopefully a talent like Jaire Alexander, Vander Esche, or Billy Price is selected with the pick instead.

yup he does and I am not discounting that, but I am taking a Marcus Peters approach.....he was on KC when ballard was there he was on Dallas when (insert correct spelling of our DC here)  was there, the FO and coaching staff should know if he is a thumbs up or down.......they don't share their take with me, so as a fan I just say "hey what about fill in the blank" lol

5 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

We don't need to give up a pick to get him just give an offer sheet and see if the cowboys can match it

a second round tender on a RFA means well....you have to give up a second rounder if the boys don't match your offer.....its been a loooooooong time since we had good players so its easy to forgive the oversite lol

It would have to be the Colts 2nd round pick.

However, it has been done in the past where a team trades the player for less than the tender. 

So theoretically, we could engage in trade discussions and offer them say our 2nd round pick in the 40's.

The Patriots did that with Wes Welker, they were going to offer poison pill deal, but instead called and offered a trade.

http://archive.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/10/17/patriots_pounced_fast_to_grab_welker/

Happened a few other times. Just saying there are other options for us to take.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Struggled to get to the QB?

7 sacks last year.      Struggled?

You knew that stat OR did you do do a quick web search? 

I'm guessing the latter. In fact in your first response in this thread you never heard of Irving. Now your insulting James for saying he struggled to get to the qb..... Lol

You really enjoy the internet and going to Stat sites, don't you?

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

You knew that stat OR did you do do a quick web search? 

I'm guessing the latter. In fact in your first response in this thread you never heard of Irving. Now your insulting James for saying he struggled to get to the qb..... Lol

You really enjoy the internet and going to Stat sites.

He is  a player that would be unknown to most to be fair but I subsequently posted some follow up info based on the general lack of knowledge to bring everyone up to speed.......he had an injury at the end of the year, and a PED suspension at the start of the year so he only played 8 games, but had 7 sacks in the 8 games.....as bonus fun if you watch the video I posted made former Colts RT look like he shouldn't be in the NFL (sound familiar lol) again this is me looking for a way to connect the dots in FA............

27 minutes ago, w87r said:

However, it has been done in the past where a team trades the player for less than the tender. 

So theoretically, we could engage in trade discussions and offer them say our 2nd round pick in the 40's.

The Patriots did that with Wes Welker, they were going to offer poison pill deal, but instead called and offered a trade.

http://archive.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/10/17/patriots_pounced_fast_to_grab_welker/

Happened a few other times. Just saying there are other options for us to take

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Happened a few other times. Just saying there are other options for us to take.

I suppose anything is possible but the most common scenario is for a player to sign an offer sheet and the team makes it decision.  It sounds like the only reason for the trade was to avoid bad blood and not have to use the poison pill.  That was a decade ago.  I think the league has changed a lot since then.  

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah, I agree completely(how rfa tenders more often than not work). I'm just saying there is other potential options. There has been other instances since then, that was what just popped in my head immediately.

The Pats, in that scenario actually gave up more compensation than the tender. They gave up an extra 7th round pick, I think they did that was because they thought the Dolphins might match.

Bad blood? I'm not sure that's something the Pats care about.