Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could the Colts Parlay a 2nd rounder for Irving?

Was just reading the twitter feed of Matt Fisher, some sports writer in the Dallas area, that is speculating that the Colts now have enough picks in the 2nd round, and of course the cap to Tender Irving somewhere in or above the $10mil a year range, and Dallas wouldn't/couldn't match it.....so we would have to give up our 2nd round (36?) overall with a contract Irving would except and Dallas wouldn't match.....that 10 mil+ would be a little easier to swallow after gaining back 8.5 from Hankins deal.......

I don't know how I feel about that deal, but it was interesting none the less to think about it.

Here is a story I found on it to from another writer:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/3/17/17134804/could-the-colts-jets-trade-mean-indy-will-pursue-david-irving

22 minutes ago, Crunked said:

Was just reading the twitter feed of Matt Fisher, some sports writer in the Dallas area, that is speculating that the Colts now have enough picks in the 2nd round, and of course the cap to Tender Irving somewhere in or above the $10mil a year range, and Dallas wouldn't/couldn't match it.....so we would have to give up our 2nd round (36?) overall with a contract Irving would except and Dallas wouldn't match.....that 10 mil+ would be a little easier to swallow after gaining back 8.5 from Hankins deal.......

I don't know how I feel about that deal, but it was interesting none the less to think about it.

Here is a story I found on it to from another writer:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/3/17/17134804/could-the-colts-jets-trade-mean-indy-will-pursue-david-irving

If Ballard spent the time to get those picks he wont get rid of one of them to get a guy from the Cowboys who I believe struggled to get to the QB anyway.

The gloom is heavier than anticipated on this journey tonight.....no worries, I got fog lights....

This guy has nothing but upside in terms of generating pass rush from the DT position....is younger than Hankins (reaching there cause they are both young) ....come on cheer up, Ballard has to spend that bank on somebody, only so many snow cones you can buy with 72 + mil. cheddar....

14 minutes ago, Crunked said:

The gloom is heavier than anticipated on this journey tonight.....no worries, I got fog lights....

This guy has nothing but upside in terms of generating pass rush from the DT position....is younger than Hankins (reaching there cause they are both young) ....come on cheer up, Ballard has to spend that bank on somebody, only so many snow cones you can buy with 72 + mil. cheddar....

He does have character concerns like a domestic violence charge and theft/destruction of property when playing at Iowa. Hopefully a talent like Jaire Alexander, Vander Esche, or Billy Price is selected with the pick instead.

He does have off field bumps for sure....waived by KC picked up by Dallas, so Ballard and Eberflues should both have an understanding of his issues and if they can be dealt with or overcome.....I am just skimming the edges of the blanket and make sense/fill the hole created by the Hankins release....

Not a fan. He has off-field issues and was surspended for PEDS. And you only get him for one year before he hits FA...at which point he will cost a ton to keep. And if he doesn't play well, you wasted an early pick. 

If Ballard isn't willing to give up a future 2nd round pick for Marcus Peters, then I can't see why he would give up one this year for Irving.

36 minutes ago, Crunked said:

OK....    thanks for sharing.    Appreciate it.    He seems great.

I don't know what Dallas would want for him.     But here's the deal....    this class of DT's is actually very good.   One of the few defensive strengths of this draft.    So, Ballard may be in a good spot to draft one or more if he wants.

Beyond that,  I'd have no idea.....

And hard for me to believe Dallas would let him get away.....

4 minutes ago, Crunked said:

He does have off field bumps for sure....waived by KC picked up by Dallas, so Ballard and Eberflues should both have an understanding of his issues and if they can be dealt with or overcome.....I am just skimming the edges of the blanket and make sense/fill the hole created by the Hankins release....

Yeah, definitely going to have to figure out who is going to fill this 4-3 line now. I wonder if Maurice Hurst is going to drop a little due to the medical and could fall to our second pick. He would be the perfect 3 tech if his medical is okay.

32 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

If Ballard spent the time to get those picks he wont get rid of one of them to get a guy from the Cowboys who I believe struggled to get to the QB anyway.

Struggled to get to the QB?

7 sacks last year.      Struggled?

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

OK....    thanks for sharing.    Appreciate it.    He seems great.

I don't know what Dallas would want for him.     But here's the deal....    this class of DT's is actually very good.   One of the few defensive strengths of this draft.    So, Ballard may be in a good spot to draft one or more if he wants.

Beyond that,  I'd have no idea.....

And hard for me to believe Dallas would let him get away.....

He is a RFA that they placed a 2nd round tender on......again just trying to connect the KC-Dallas-Hankins release dots with a possible motive, as stated by others he does have some off field issues which may be too big to overcome, and I do understand there are some good possibilities in the draft as well....again he just had more than one connection Ballard at KC and Eberfleus (GOOD LORD how do you spell his name) at Dallas, and is a 24 year old DT.

2 hours ago, Indy Fan said:

He does have character concerns like a domestic violence charge and theft/destruction of property when playing at Iowa. Hopefully a talent like Jaire Alexander, Vander Esche, or Billy Price is selected with the pick instead.

Speaking of things...I keep confusing Leighton Vanderesche with Kyle Vandenbosch, LOL.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who?

Who is Irving?

Odds are...  whoever it is, Ballard us not giving up one of his 2nd round picks for.

Do your research on him. I had to bring myself up to speed. 6'7" 290 7 sacks from DT in 2017. 24-25 years old

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

Do your research on him. I had to bring myself up to speed. 6'7" 290 7 sacks from DT in 2017. 24-25 years old

Thanks, k...   I did...

He's good on the field and appears to have had trouble off the field.

Plus, in this year's draft class, DT is a very good position.    Not sure I see Ballard willing to give up a 2 to take someone he might find in the draft. 

But as as I said in another post tonight,  I've been wrong plenty the last 7-10 days...    it's exhausting.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks, k...   I did...

Plus, in this year's draft class, DT is a very good position.    Not sure I see Ballard willing to give up a 2 to take someone he might find in the draft. 

But as as I said in another post tonight,  I've been wrong plenty the last 7-10 days...    it's exhausting.

The off field stuff and some injury history is the sticking point. I dont think there's many 6'7" 3 techs in this draft that get after the QB the way he does. Not only that but he plays some DE as well. Not many if any guys like that in this draft.

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks, k...   I did...

Worth pointing out that he was an UDFA for the Chiefs in 2015 when Ballard was there.

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

The off field stuff and some injury history is the sticking point. I dont think there's many 6'7" 3 techs in this draft that get after the QB the way he does. Not only that but he plays some DE as well. Not many if any guys like that in this draft.

Mo Hurst is the premier 3tech inside penetrator in the draft it seems. I don't know if he would last until the second round if he gets cleared medically. Taven Bryan is the other high potential 3tech, he's mostly potential and athleticism though, would need to be coached up hard. His production was very much questionable in college, even though he did cause a lot of disruption and has obvious athletic talent. Rasheem Green is the third one I can think of. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Watch it happen Krunk the kids 24 he had sacks in 8 games coming off great play in the post season the year prior. Our DC knows if he straight or not.  We mysteriousl  cut Hankins. Why? Well well well and to boot he was originally signed as an UDFA  by KC  in 2015. Wasn't CB there in 2015 hmmm Dallas grabbed him from their PS. This is what I expect from Ballard. He just has to find a number he and Irving like that Dallas doesn't 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Hankins was 3yrs 27M? That might do it. If Chubb is there at 6 we have the beginning of a nasty pass rush. I really think we make a serious run at him. Ballard is at least somewhat familiar with him and Eberflus knows him well. If he says he's straight and if anyone has that info it's Eberflus then it's a go. I think there's evidence that endorsement has been made. There won't be anyone in the second like this kid or the first for that matter. 

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

Hankins was 3yrs 27M? That might do it. If Chubb is there at 6 we have the beginning of a nasty pass rush. I really think we make a serious run at him. Ballard is at least somewhat familiar with him and Eberflus knows him well. If he says he's straight and if anyone has that info it's Eberflus then it's a go. I think there's evidence that endorsement has been made. There won't be anyone in the second like this kid or the first for that matter. 

Athletically speaking I agree and I want the kid based on that. However second round picks which is what Dallas is asking need to have somewhat clean off the field profiles. I have some concern over his decision making. The PED suspension, someone mention a prior domestic abuse case somewhere. Along with that is missing games due to injury. That is going to give Ballard some pause. Hopefully they feel comfortable because he looks like a game changer to me. It gives me concern that Dallas had concern over giving him a long term deal mostly over injuries.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Mo Hurst is the premier 3tech inside penetrator in the draft it seems. I don't know if he would last until the second round if he gets cleared medically. Taven Bryan is the other high potential 3tech, he's mostly potential and athleticism though, would need to be coached up hard. His production was very much questionable in college, even though he did cause a lot of disruption and has obvious athletic talent. Rasheem Green is the third one I can think of. 

I think that heart issue may drop him to the 3rd even. Hes also short and perceived as not scheme versatile.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

i dont think either of them has to tools Irving is working with.

8 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Why would you write that?  It just shows that you have no idea who he is.

Look it is just as likely not to happen as it is.....I was just trying to find a CB wrinkle in him not signing big name FA, but somehow still making a splash in FA.......and again putting a bow into why he released Hankins that explained better the move......cause a good young DT that doesn't fit scheme is better than no DT at all.....So my thoughts then turned to one of 2 scenario's: we are targeting a DT early in the draft based on our board.....or Ballard see's someone that is "possible" to acquire from some other team.......since the draft is still a long way away.......and there is way too much speculation on what any one player coming out of college is worth.....I went the other way and looked for a front office connection to a young up and come-r and found Irving.....just thought it would make for interesting dialog on the board.