Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why does it seem the Colts are anxious to sign a Center

indyagent17

23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I understand that. But there is nothing to do about it till we see how long it will take.

There is no quick gratification in rebuilding a team.

I understand it is tough.  

The thing with Luck is that he can make a mediocre team have a decent record.    That's why I would have liked to see Ballard do more in free agency while still building through the draft.   Not even Luck could get this current team to 10 wins.  

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

I understand it is tough.  

The thing with Luck is that he can make a mediocre team have a decent record.    That's why I would have liked to see Ballard do more in free agency while still building through the draft.   Not even Luck could get this current team to 10 wins.  

the current team is actually really bad.  defense was bad last year and we let two of our best players go.  we need to add multiple starters on the line and line backers.

on offense, the oline is as bad as ever. skill positions are weak outside of ty

i dont like how we are going to rely on rookies for so much

38 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the current team is actually really bad.  defense was bad last year and we let two of our best players go.  we need to add multiple starters on the line and line backers.

on offense, the oline is as bad as ever. skill positions are weak outside of ty

i dont like how we are going to rely on rookies for so much

Yeah, we are a couple years away from competing.   We are way too thin at almost every position.   WR really worries me.  

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:38 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry,  but this is a complete misunderstanding....

In one of our later posts here,  you provide two links and one says rounds 1-2 and the other says mid-1 to high 2.

Mid first is in the teens.   Ryan Kelly was drafted at 18.

And still....   the write-ups are just the write-ups of people who do this on-line.   Some are good and some are less good.

The ONLY evaluations that count are the the ones made by the 32 NFL teams.    And NONE of the 32 look alike.

Some might've had Kelly graded in the Mid-First.    Some might have him in the low first.   And some might've had him in the high second.     One of the things that is a trueism of the draft...    any draft in any sport is that everyone sees the same thing differently.     Seriously,  they're not operating from some master list that everyone uses.    32 teams,  32 different Big Boards where players are listed in order of preference.

Ryan Kelly was not only the top Center of the draft,  he was one of the top Center's drafted in the last few years leading up to his draft. 

Kelly performed like a first round pick his first year.    His second year was mostly lost to injury.     I don't think the Colts have any regrets with the decision to draft him.    I'm not sure why you're arguing Kelly was a reach when the evidence you provided doesn't really say that?

I am unsure what you are reading as both links provided have him as a cusp 2nd round talent?  18 isn't cusp 2nd round?  He was a reach and anyone who thinks that a top 20 pick is worthy of a Center or Guard is only fooling themselves as impact positions should be chosen in this range....

I also find it funny that some people are willing to give Kelly, and to a greater degree Anderson, a pass for their injuries...but were unwilling to give Moncrief the same, and he provided much more to Indy?  Not saying you my Friend but some do just that...

Anyway, sorry for the late reply as this is my busy season building homes down here in south Florida, I hope you are well?

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:27 AM, rockywoj said:

My recollection differs with your recollection of Kelly’s projected selection spot.  I clearly remember him being projected as a mid first round selection.  Not once do I recall any reputable projections having him fall to the 2nd round.  I still think of him as the perfect melding of need with BPA.  The injury problems of last year are unfortunate, but do not change my endorsement of him being the correct pick.

We usually seem to be agreement on things, so I am still always surprised that we disagree on the priority of building the OL with premium picks.  I advocate building from the trenches out and I simply don’t see my opinion on that changing.

I provided links and appreciate your opinion....we just differ and that is okay.  I just don't think a top 20 pick should be used on a Center or Guard...but what do I know, I build homes for a living, not pro football teams:D