Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why does it seem the Colts are anxious to sign a Center

indyagent17

6 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Ryan Jensen? The consensus was he would have played G here. And Pouncey is purely fan speculation. I doubt Ballard is looking for a C. 

The agles LG use to be a C gor the jags thats why its just has to be the best 5 o-line doesn't matter what position tbh Pouncey got a pro bowl when he was guard he pro bowl for both positions js

2 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

He was over drafted and was an injury issue last season....

Actually Kelly was drafted right where he was projected, a mid 1st rounder. 

And yes yes he did have an injury last year. So it'd be nice to have some depth. However, I think the job is still Kelly's . He's yet to allow a sack.

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Actually Kelly was drafted right where he was projected, a mid 1st rounder. 

And yes yes he did have an injury last year. So it'd be nice to have some depth. However, I think the job is still Kelly's . He's yet to allow a sack.

He was projected as a low first to high second....he was a reach.

His no sack rookie year was nice but followed by a no play year...so they even out.  I hope he recovers and shines but never liked the pick from day one.

16 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

People wouldn't stop about Ryan Nelson and now you hear about Pouncey. Did Ryan Kelly move to the moon or something or is he hurt?

People aren't hot for a center.    They're hot for an interior lineman who can play GUARD next to center.    

Jensen could.   But he signed elsewhere.   People are hoping Pouncy could as well, though I don't think that's clear that he can.

People are hot for a name they know and trust to improve the OL.   The names are quickly disappearing.   People are very concerned.

4 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

For the record La Canfora is an *.  We aren’t looking for a new center.  The interior oline is pretty interchangeable.  If they have the agility to pull that’s the only difference between center and guard.

I know but the big deal is that people like la canfora and other people online are saying we're looking for a center and that is the reason for my post in the first place

22 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

If Chris Ballard cuts Ryan Kelly I'm seriously done with this team.

He's not cutting Ryan Kelly. But it would be interesting to watch people here simulatneously try to justify Ballard maing that move...and still say it was a good pick.

3 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

He was over drafted and was an injury issue last season....

Trust me (I know from experience)...very few people are going to agree with you that Kelly was a bad pick...or at the very least a reach. I sure wouldn't mind Darron Lee or Myles Jack right around now. 

We should be interested in signing anyone who can help protect a quarterback. 

We have seemed to struggle with that for some years now. When you stop and look at the amount of QBs we’ve had injured because of it in recent history it gets a little alarming. 

But trust the plan, right?

Trust the plan. 

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

I recall someone speculating, late last year, that a move to guard may prolong Kelly's career.

I don't recall who, or the reasoning, though.

It’s Luck we should look to prolong the career of. The line is as bad as it’s ever been, honestly. He gon die. 

6 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I know but the big deal is that people like la canfora and other people online are saying we're looking for a center and that is the reason for my post in the first place

I would take those comments with certainty.  He’s played guard in college.  I’d love it if we could pick Pouncey up, draft Nelson and another tackle with one of our seconds.  I wouldn’t be supposed to bringing Mewhort back. 

This draft has a lot of good centers that can also play guard or started out as a guard.  We need interior Maulers and I would not put it past Ballard, however to draft Nelson at 6.(Pure guard)  This trade has me excited about protecting Luck and building the defense.

I personally love the 3-4, but am anxious to see how we play the 4-3.  If it is an aggressive D with press coverage and new speed we can keep the offense on the field.  Excited to see the draft and continued Free agency.    Bmc  :coltslogo:

2 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

This draft has a lot of good centers that can also play guard or started out as a guard.  We need interior Maulers and I would not put it past Ballard, however to draft Nelson at 6.(Pure guard)  This trade has me excited about protecting Luck and building the defense.

I personally love the 3-4, but am anxious to see how we play the 4-3.  If it is an aggressive D with press coverage and new speed we can keep the offense on the field.  Excited to see the draft and continued Free agency.    Bmc  :coltslogo:

I agree with you about being anxious to see how we play the 4-3. I’m just hesitant to be sold on it after the many years of getting run over by opposing rb’s. Fingers crossed!!

On 2018-03-17 at 6:30 PM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

His no sack rookie year was nice but followed by a no play year...so they even out.  I hope he recovers and shines but never liked the pick from day one.

My recollection differs with your recollection of Kelly’s projected selection spot.  I clearly remember him being projected as a mid first round selection.  Not once do I recall any reputable projections having him fall to the 2nd round.  I still think of him as the perfect melding of need with BPA.  The injury problems of last year are unfortunate, but do not change my endorsement of him being the correct pick.

We usually seem to be agreement on things, so I am still always surprised that we disagree on the priority of building the OL with premium picks.  I advocate building from the trenches out and I simply don’t see my opinion on that changing.

11 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

We aren’t anxious to sign anyone and that’s obvious by our lack of signings. We are anxious to penny pinch

Nice of you to jump to conclusions when you have yet to see what Ballards plans are.

If you think by signing a couple of over priced free agents would bring this team closer to winning you are mistaken.

It is obvious what Ballard is doing. He is purging players not wanted and starting from the ground up. This is exactly what happens when there is a total changing of the coaching staff. This is also what happens when the GM is finally in complete control.

This is exactly what Irsay hired him to do. Build this team the right way. Free agent band aids is not the answer.

On 3/17/2018 at 5:30 PM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I'm sorry,  but this is a complete misunderstanding....

In one of our later posts here,  you provide two links and one says rounds 1-2 and the other says mid-1 to high 2.

Mid first is in the teens.   Ryan Kelly was drafted at 18.

And still....   the write-ups are just the write-ups of people who do this on-line.   Some are good and some are less good.

The ONLY evaluations that count are the the ones made by the 32 NFL teams.    And NONE of the 32 look alike.

Some might've had Kelly graded in the Mid-First.    Some might have him in the low first.   And some might've had him in the high second.     One of the things that is a trueism of the draft...    any draft in any sport is that everyone sees the same thing differently.     Seriously,  they're not operating from some master list that everyone uses.    32 teams,  32 different Big Boards where players are listed in order of preference.

Ryan Kelly was not only the top Center of the draft,  he was one of the top Center's drafted in the last few years leading up to his draft. 

Kelly performed like a first round pick his first year.    His second year was mostly lost to injury.     I don't think the Colts have any regrets with the decision to draft him.    I'm not sure why you're arguing Kelly was a reach when the evidence you provided doesn't really say that?

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Nice of you to jump to conclusions when you have yet to see what Ballards plans are.

If you think by signing a couple of over priced free agents would bring this team closer to winning you are mistaken.

It is obvious what Ballard is doing. He is purging players not wanted and starting from the ground up. This is exactly what happens when there is a total changing of the coaching staff. This is also what happens when the GM is finally in complete control.

This is exactly what Irsay hired him to do. Build this team the right way. Free agent band aids is not the answer.

Overpriced based on what? Who are you to say someone is overpriced? Your QB has been destroyed year after year, so you need to pay up to protect him

7 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Overpriced based on what? Who are you to say someone is overpriced? Your QB has been destroyed year after year, so you need to pay up to protect him

What you are forgetting is Ballard said this team is not about one player. He is building for the future. The only way to do that is from the ground up. Like it or not that is exactly what is happening.

After looking at the roster IMO we get all of out players back from injury we are not as bad as some say. What O-linemen we have will have another year under their belts and play better.

If this team is as bad as what some think then why was It all Pagano's fault? Supposedly it was all scheme? Right?

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What you are forgetting is Ballard said this team is not about one player. He is building for the future. The only way to do that is from the ground up. Like it or not that is exactly what is happening.

After looking at the roster IMO we get all of out players back from injury we are not as bad as some say. What O-linemen we have will have another year under their belts and play better.

If this team is as bad as what some think then why was It all Pagano's fault? Supposedly it was all scheme? Right?

I disagree.   I think the team is just a shell.   Lacking skill at most positions.    Nearly no depth anywhere.   I hope a draft full of picks like we have this year gives Ballard what he needs to build this team for the future.   Unfortunately, that means Luck will be over 30 by the time the team can compete.   Fans don't like to wait it out.  

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   I think the team is just a shell.   Lacking skill at most positions.    Nearly no depth anywhere.   I hope a draft full of picks like we have this year gives Ballard what he needs to build this team for the future.   Unfortunately, that means Luck will be over 30 by the time the team can compete.   Fans don't like to wait it out.  

I understand that. But there is nothing to do about it till we see how long it will take.

There is no quick gratification in rebuilding a team.