Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat Williams needs to come to the Colts for Vet. Min.

GoColts00

yes we need dbs and linebackers

Our linebackers are not really that bad. The squad is better than it's been most of the last few years anyway. At least we don't have anyone like Gilbert "Where am I and what am I doing" Gardner or Freddie "Do something interesting for once" Keiaho. Brackett is Brackett, Angerer is definitely an up and coming player, and while Sims probably was drafted too high in the top 10, he did rack up a ton of tackles for Detroit - and frankly, our linebackers racking up more tackles than our safeties would be an improvement at this point. Connor looks promising. We maybe could use some depth at LB (resign Hagler?), but they're not that bad.

Additionally, I would hope that the d-line improvments make our LBs look better by comparison. Any LB unit would look worse when the RB has three choices of which hole to hit and two free blockers in the second level by the time he takes the handoff.

we have signed too many after no one else wanted them. then we let our young guys go to tenn or jax

Clint Session was not worth 6 million/year, especially since he was hurt last season anyway, and if you're referring to Thornton and Peterson, I think that ship sailed a while back. I'd much rather have a guy like Sims, who has a higher ceiling and is about the same age as Session, for a much cheaper, 1-year contract, than Session for 30 million over 5 years. That's a preposterous amount of money for someone with Clint Session's skill set. heck, I don't think we're paying Sims, Anderson, and Harris combined much more than Session is getting paid - and they all have no-risk, 1-year contracts.

No thx. I would love to see us target some DBs though. Lacey is getting burned already in camp *sigh*

Indy Nick, you seem pretty cool for the most part, and you make some good posts too. But everyday I read at least one post from you about how much Lacey sucks and how desperately we need to get a DB to play ahead of him. I understand your concern, and I myself wouldn't be opposed to us signing another starting CB to play ahead of him. Anything that strengthens the team, I'm in favor of. But Lacey isn't going to be as much of a liability this year as you seem to be anticipating. I know I've already said this in response to your posts numerous times, but Lacey is gonna make some big plays for us this year. I got a really strong hunch about it. Sure, he might get beat here and there from time to time, but most CBs do, unless you're talking about Revis or Deon Sanders. I'm confident he's going to show alot of improvement, and I'm calling it that he's gonna lead our team in INTs this year.

We have 9 defensive linemen who will most likely make the 53 man roster now. No way we need another. Was worth a shot before signing Harris, but since signing Harris we've got the better chance for success. Not to mention the reports coming out of camp saying Nevis is really lighting it up...

No thx. I would love to see us target some DBs though. Lacey is getting burned already in camp *sigh*

You really think there is a DB out there now who is worth a deuce and would be a starter? If they get anyone it would be for DB # 3 or 4.

Indy Nick, you seem pretty cool for the most part, and you make some good posts too. But everyday I read at least one post from you about how much Lacey sucks and how desperately we need to get a DB to play ahead of him. I understand your concern, and I myself wouldn't be opposed to us signing another starting CB to play ahead of him. Anything that strengthens the team, I'm in favor of. But Lacey isn't going to be as much of a liability this year as you seem to be anticipating. I know I've already said this in response to your posts numerous times, but Lacey is gonna make some big plays for us this year. I got a really strong hunch about it. Sure, he might get beat here and there from time to time, but most CBs do, unless you're talking about Revis or Deon Sanders. I'm confident he's going to show alot of improvement, and I'm calling it that he's gonna lead our team in INTs this year.

Obviously you feel more optimistic about Lacey than I do but that's just speculation at this point in time and we will see what happens in Sept. I hope he does well, but quite frankly I would like to resign Hayden. We have some money, he knows the system, and quite frankly we have no experienced depth with our DBs. That is what scares me. We always have an under-sized but fast defense. That makes us prone for injury. I fear the day when we have to go up against a solid offense with rookies trying to defend their veteran receivers. I feel the DB situation is our only weakness on the team, and I still feel the issue can be addressed before the season starts.

We don't have a nose, but it's basically the position that AJ plays.

I don't know much about Williams status, why is he available?

I think he wants a championship and he doesn't think thats going to happen with the Vikings this year.

while the term nose tackle is generally associated with the 3-4 D, the 4-3 D has an Under Tackle & Nose Tackle

I think he wants a championship and he doesn't think thats going to happen with the Vikings this year.

while the term nose tackle is generally associated with the 3-4 D, the 4-3 D has an Under Tackle & Nose Tackle

True, however, the 4-3 NT and the 3-4 NT aren't entirely analogous in size requirements or skill sets.

Plus, in a scheme like the Colts' Cover-2, it's possibly more important to have DTs who can disrupt the line than DTs who take up a ton of space. That's why Tommie Harris made the Bears' rush defense so good for those years - sure, he's under 300, but he could mess up blocking schemes and get in the backfield quick to blow up the play. That's what I'm hoping Nevis can do as well.

No, no he doesn't. I don't want a 38 year old, situational DT just for his leadership. He likely wouldn't be that effective, and he definitely wouldn't be that good for 16 games + January.

So you would not take a 38 year old fat * to stop the run? I guess our smallish DT's getting blow off the ball the past few years has grown on you? heck all Pat Will would have to do is just hold his ground and he would be a huge help.

He would help any team for run stopping purposes only. But, he is 38 and I am sure he will want some cheez to play another year..... and not vet min. type cheddar.

But I think Indy's DL will be fine regardless.