Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Ballard approach ....Win with least amount BIG NAME players

HOF19

Just now, HOF19 said:

Which is totally OK with me.....As in he says NO to Ndamukong Suh.

Did you have to google his name to find the right spelling? Don't worry, I'd probably do the same. lol

Remind me again at the end of the draft.

We've shown interest in/negotiated with a high number of the big free agents over the past two years.  They just signed elsewhere.  I don't see this as part of Ballard's grand scheme, unless he's practicing to be a bad negotiator.

7 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I think he says no to Suh (if he’s even talked to him) just because of the kind of player he is. He does not have character. 

We need a nasty player on the D though we are known as a finesse team not really physical he would bring a nasty to the DLine

22 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

We need a nasty player on the D though we are known as a finesse team not really physical he would bring a nasty to the DLine

He would no doubt be a nasty player. He’s good, I just don’t respect his dirty plays. There’s no place for that. 

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

He would no doubt be a nasty player. He’s good, I just don’t respect his dirty plays. There’s no place for that. 

I don’t know if Suh has matured, but i can’t remember any instances last season where he was called out for being dirty. And if we did look at him we could certainly put incentives in his contract if he goes a full season without a fine. We need some mean players though. 

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I think Andrew Luck is a big name. I think we would have had more wins.

I think he means with no big names signed in FA. Just prior big names, and guys that develop into big names that are drafted by Ballard. He likes to build through the draft, so to speak.

2 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I don’t know if Suh has matured, but i can’t remember any instances last season where he was called out for being dirty. And if we did look at him we could certainly put incentives in his contract if he goes a full season without a fine. We need some mean players though. 

I don’t think I heard anything either. I guess if he’s changed, I just remember so many of the bad. They’re just easier to think of I guess. 

24 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

He is too old now to do something like that one more instance and he may never get another big payday

@Luck 4 president

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I don’t think I heard anything either. I guess if he’s changed, I just remember so many of the bad. They’re just easier to think of I guess. 

Here's his penalties for last season:

http://www.nflpenalties.com/player/n-suh-miami-dolphins?year=2017

He's tied for the 4th most overall penalties with 13 total. Of that, there's 2 Unnecessary Roughness, 1 Illegal Use of Hands, 1 Facemask, and 1 Roughing the QB. It doesn't steal headlines for the dumb stuff he's done, but being one of the most penalized players in the league doesn't help me want to bring you in for your high asking price. That sack or TFL does us no good if he gives them the yardage back with a penalty the very next play.

10 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

Our you could, draft guys who become big names!

Solid idea, but kinda worrisome when you stop and think that one of our draft picks last year didn’t even make it out of training camp, and actually couldn’t even stay latched on with the Browns, one spent half a season as a healthy scratch even when injuries riddled the position, and then there’s Terrell Basham. 

Excuse me if my confidence in him is a wee bit fuzzy at the moment. 

11 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

Our you could, draft guys who become big names!

2 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Not worth what it would cost at this stage of his career 

2 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think his real approach is to grow his own big names like Polian did.

Yes to all of the above. 

All these conclusions people come up with due to lack of free agent activity for a non-championship ready roster is kinda funny.

If anything, wouldn't Ballard's approach be the opposite? His two previous teams - Bears and Chiefs - were loaded with stars when they were good. 

2 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

All these conclusions people come up with due to lack of free agent activity for a non-championship ready roster is kinda funny.

It's like someone has unleashed a "Blame" virus. Once contracted, the infected must latch onto any conjured scenario regardless of it's realistic validity, in order to validate the victims frustration.....brought on by seizures caused in part through a lack of fantacular fortitude. (Ya...I made that up)

23 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Solid idea, but kinda worrisome when you stop and think that one of our draft picks last year didn’t even make it out of training camp, and actually couldn’t even stay latched on with the Browns, one spent half a season as a healthy scratch even when injuries riddled the position, and then there’s Terrell Basham. 

He missed on one player last year with Banner. That happens to every team.

Basham was drafted knowing he would be a project. He was a 4-3 DE transitioning to 3-4 OLB, who also was adjusting to the huge jump in competition from Ohio to the NFL. I think he was selected with the switch to a 4-3 in mind and will do much better this season back at DE.

4 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

Someone tell Chris Ballard that there is no reward for the team that has the most cap space at the end of the season.

The cap will carry over, so I'm actually not too worried about the FA situation now that this trade has happened. We can build through the draft this year, carry over the cap some, and go for it next year in FA when we add an additional draft that also has an extra 2nd rounder as well. We'll be fine.

7 hours ago, Shive said:

He missed on one player last year with Banner. That happens to every team.

Basham was drafted knowing he would be a project. He was a 4-3 DE transitioning to 3-4 OLB, who also was adjusting to the huge jump in competition from Ohio to the NFL. I think he was selected with the switch to a 4-3 in mind and will do much better this season back at DE.

I don't buy any statement that Ballard made decisions with a switch to a 4-3 in mind. If that were the case, please explain Ballard's biggest FA expenditure on Hankins, who they cut because of a bad scheme fit according to Irsay.

8 hours ago, John Waylon said:

i for one like to see upgrades at most positions each season however we get them, not wait a few years to see if ballards draft picks will turn out to be upgrades. draft picks are a crapshoot, with young proven talent we can compete each season like the pats do not wait a few years for maybe as our qb ages

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think his real approach is to grow his own big names like Polian did.

we will need to be patient for a few years things take time to grow, i like the bb method upgrade any position any way you can, dont write off any season upgrade to win and compete each season

10 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Why did we lose those games that what I thought.

We lost two games due to interceptions at the end of the game. We lost 5 more after having a lead in the 2nd. half.

I doubt that would have happened with Luck of the field.

We could easily have been a 9-7 or a 10-6 team.

15 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I don't believe you could have stomached watching football in the 60s and 70s.

It's NOT the big name players Ballard objects to.     There's no evidence that this is the case.

It's signing players to contracts that will far exceed what the player brings to the team.     Not enough bang for the buck.   Make that mistake enough times and you won't have a very talented team.

Ballard is fine with big name, talented players.    He'd just like to be comfortable with what they're being paid.

Tell me big names that have flourished under the colts? 

Corey Simon? Bust

Laron Landry? Bust

Hakeem Nicks? Bust

Andre Johnson? Bust

Trent Richardson? Major bust

Yea the only way to build a team is with big names :sigh:

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

We lost two games due to interceptions at the end of the game. We lost 5 more after having a lead in the 2nd. half.

I doubt that would have happened with Luck of the field.

We could easily have been a 9-7 or a 10-6 team.

We just saved ourselves from embarrassing defeat in the playoffs cause that's all that would have happened.

20 hours ago, #12. said:

We've shown interest in/negotiated with a high number of the big free agents over the past two years.  They just signed elsewhere.  I don't see this as part of Ballard's grand scheme, unless he's practicing to be a bad negotiator.

He's not a closer...just look at the head coach fiasco