Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis Colts trade #3 overall pick to New York Jets (merge)

TKnight24

1 minute ago, Freenyfan102 said:

With any other team we would have gotten there next year 1st round. We know the Jets are not going to do well this year. At least fleece them and take there next year 1 round too. Nope we take their second round.

No team was going to make a trade like that. This isn't Madden.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Watch it the Browns don't get the QB they wanted So they trade down oh idk the Buccaneers guess who get e DE and guess who gets hosed again.

I'm not sure that is getting hosed, the Colts would still be getting a top talent.   The Browns can get whatever QB they want, they have the first pick in the draft.

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You and I are thinking the same way...   so I'd like to share a possible trade for the Colts...

We're on the clock at six and the phone rings..    and it's Buffalo...  Ballard doesn't ask for their two ones...   but instead asks for their two 2's this year and their 2 next year as well.    

This would give the Colts FIVE 2's this year and THREE 2's next year.

How does that Colts rebuild look now?

As long as we are still getting the 12th overall pick plus these picks, I would be ecstatic about this!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fritz is not a strong safety...   he's a free safety...    I don't see us starting two free safeties.

If we stay...  its Chubb or Nelson or perhaps Edmunds.

OR....

We might trade back one more time and collect more Day 2 picks this year and maybe next.

Fitz would move all around...play CB in small nickel and S in big nickel (with Geathers/Fairley as the 3rd S). And he would play SS in the base defense. 

I badly want to add another dynamic S to this team. It would give the Colts an identity on defense. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Instead? Why not do both? Unless you know you will hit on all 7 of them...which no GM does.

I think he will do both..He is letting everyone else run out of bullets..Then he will be there with a pile of money to snag the diamonds..He will get double the haul of talent for same price..The 1 guy he needs to splurge on is Suh..I see what he is doing now and it's brilliant! He is playing Chess when everyone else is playing checkers..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Good trade yeah BUT what if the Bills match it then offer a 2019 first?  Why would this already be a committed trade with so much time remaining before the draft????    Someone might one up it then the Colts look like an $&@@@*. 

Because Ballard doesn't want to trade that far back on one deal.

We just received three high picks moving down three spots.   The Colts might still trade back again and pick up THREE MORE high draft picks.

End up at 12 and get many more draft picks.....

Just now, BOTT said:

Yes. More likely he looks at guard with the 2nd round picks.

That's what I'm thinking. Have nothing to base it on though.

There will be quality guards in the 2nd round, but players like Chubb, Edmunds, Davenport, Ward, Fitzpatrick. Hard to pass on those.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

We just received three high picks moving down three spots.   The Colts might still trade back again and pick up THREE MORE high draft picks.

The only way I could see something like that happening is using the draft picks and maybe something for next year for a trade for a current player. Doubtful, but that's the only possible way I see this happening.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

Yes. More likely he looks at guard with the 2nd round picks.

I think offense is going to be the them of day two. That is where the value of interior OL and skill positions lie. RB, WR and interior OL. And if he can somehow get another pick or two, I wouldn't be surprised if TE was on that list.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Fitz would move all around...play CB in small nickel and S in big nickel (with Geathers/Fairley as the 3rd S). And he would play SS in the base defense. 

I badly want to add another dynamic S to this team. It would give the Colts an identity on defense. 

Colts new identity would be to give up my yard on defense from the run and the pass since it does not have a pass rush and great corners.

6 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

His approach to Free Agency is Crap and Producing nothing but crap. Where there online that protect Andrew luck. Where at least a cover line backer or the Corner we need or at least a good DE nope nowhere to be found

Well it's his approach and he is the GM of the Colts not you.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yessir..You see it!

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Fitz is a blue chip talent..Cant go wrong wherever you decide to play him..He can fill the Melvin hole or play with Hooker and it'll be Interception city..I would take him with a smile on my face if Nelson isn't there..

I’d take him over Nelson.  Mostly because I think you can’t get very good guards later 

• Like 1

I believe the colts have a plan, Not something I thought before ballard, Hopefully we will protect our qb with this draft, If Luck is healthy he wont be for long with our current o-line,For that matter no qb will be safe.Please pick what we need not best available unless its o-line!  

7 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

Honestly I think we could get both #1s and both #2s. The bills might be desperate enough to do this if Allen,Rosen or mayfield are still available.

I agree. And it’s possible that such an offer might well be made. The Bills would have to give a lot less than they would to the Giants for the #2. But the 12 and 22 pick along with their top 2nd round pick would be necessary, along with a 2 in 2019. You’re likely giving up the potential pick of Chubb or Nelson, perhaps even Barkley, to deal with the Bills, though. Not sure it’s worth it. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah, what do you think about trading up to 4th pick with the Browns now so we can still get Chubb?

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

I think he will do both..He is letting everyone else run out of bullets..Then he will be there with a pile of money to snag the diamonds..He will get double the haul of talent for same price..The 1 guy he needs to splurge on is Suh..

I think he will want to give himself some flexibility on draft day. I can't imagine he won't bring in at least one LB at some point. I also wouldn't rule out a trade of a mid-lat pick for a guy who has years of control...especially now that Ballard has extra early picks.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That would be insane, but genius.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think offense is going to be the them of day two. That is where the value of interior OL and skill positions lie. RB, WR and interior OL. And if he can somehow get another pick or two, I wouldn't be surprised if TE was on that list.

I'm hoping for zero skill position players in rounds 1&2 lol

You have to figure the top 6 players taken now and what this means for the Colts.

Cle - Arnold

NY - Barkley

NYJ - Josh Allen 

Cle - Chubb

Denver - Will it be a qb or Nelson....that's the question I think.

Indy - Nelson if he's there...trade down with a Mayfield lover if he's not. I can't see them taking Fitzpatrick there. There's some volatility based on what NY does and how cute Cleveland tries to be.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't see Fitz as a corner...   I see safety all the way...

Hey, with our new defense maybe you're right.   I don't know how Ballard sees Fitz?

I just don't see him sitting at six and taking Fitz before Chubb or Nelson..

He will take Chubb or Nelson if they are there, I would too..Fitz will be BPA if they are gone though and we will find a place for him no doubt..

Just now, jshipp23 said:

He will take Chubb or Nelson if they are there, I would too..Fitz will be BPA if they are gone though and we will find a place for him no doubt..

Exactly. We're taking one of those three if available. I can't think of any other player we'd go for.

I'm just waiting for someone to say WR and scream for Ridley.

11 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

His approach to Free Agency is Crap and Producing nothing but crap. Where there online that protect Andrew luck. Where at least a cover line backer or the Corner we need or at least a good DE nope nowhere to be found

Your post is crap.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I am disappointed so far that we haven't picked up at least 1 O.Lineman that is solid in FA. I guess we still could? Not sure who though. I think in the Draft we will probably get a RB with 1 of our 2nd Round picks now to pair with Mack. Nelson could be there at #6, I like Edmonds the LB too. I think Chubb will be gone before #6.

The draft is going to be must see TV this year at least .  I usually skip most of it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think that is a very real possibility that they will do this. Obviously, Ballard sees more value in having extra picks than one of the top couple players. IF he has a handful of guys he likes, I could see him trading back again to #12 for both 1st rounders, a 2nd round and a future pick.

For example, trading back to #12 and still getting Edmunds would be a dream come true. I also think there could be opportunities to move down just a couple spots for someone not looking for a QB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, what do you think about trading up to 4th pick with the Browns now so we can still get Chubb?

At this point in the Colts rebuild I would not favor trading up.   We're not one key player away.    I'd favor either staying and picking, or trading down again and get another nice haul of picks this year AND next.

• Thanks 1

Depending on things fall, I can see 4 QB's going in the first 5 picks easily. Denver had the most representatives at the Baker Mayfield Pro Day Wednesday, and Keenum is not the answer long term for them. Reversion is likely.

Of course if Denver does not pick a QB, and Cleveland goes Barkley or Chubb at 1 or 4 which is likely, then there will be one of the four QB's left at pick number 6. What if NYG don't take a QB, then maybe two left at pick number six. In that case, what if Indy were to go back to Buffalo, Miami or Arizona's spot. I would prefer the quality player, but think of the haul we would get, and I would think Ballard would make sure a 1st possibly from next year, unless Buffalo was trading. Regardless, although I love the trade, it is possible to trade back again depending on how the first 5 picks go.

On a separate note, with these extra draft picks, and the possibility of another trade for more, I am glad we have not gone out and spent a ton on FA. First off, there was only a couple of players I could even argue were worth the money that was being handed out. Second, this means we walk into next season with a lot of cap space and have given last years draft class more time to develop, and this years draft class to get a year under its belt. There will be a lot of new starters this year, and having a two years to look at last years class, and one year for this years will give us a much better idea about using that FA money for quality next year.

One last point for all those screaming about the Oline, this pick was perfect. When you consider Hernandez, Daniels, Wynn, Price, Ragnow, and yes I know some will not make it to the second round, but I am guessing one will, especially Price. Then consider the Tackles. Mcglinchey, Williams, Miller, Brown, Williams, Rankin, O'Neill, Kappa, you are going to have some nice choices to fill out the OL. For this reason, I really love getting the extra second rounders, plus delaying one year on FA, since it is meant to fill spots, and add quality makes sense to me. Love the plan coming together.

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

Exactly. We're taking one of those three if available. I can't think of any other player we'd go for.

I'm just waiting for someone to say WR and scream for Ridley.

Ridley reminds me of Anquan Boldin..I wouldn't be mad if we did that either to be honest...I want St.Brown too in 2nd or 3rd..

I have to say It but I called for a trade here this morning on a couple of threads and asap and before next week.  I couldn't believe it when I got a phone call and was told about it.   Thrilled.  Wrong team, I thought the Bills, but he did it.  Have to strike while the iron is hot.  Very happy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I think that is a very real possibility that they will do this. Obviously, Ballard sees more value in having extra picks than one of the top couple players. IF he has a handful of guys he likes, I could see him trading back again to #12 for both 1st rounders, a 2nd round and a future pick.

For example, trading back to #12 and still getting Edmunds would be a dream come true. I also think there could be opportunities to move down just a couple spots for someone not looking for a QB.

Yup!

I think the key would be to get more Day 2 picks this year AND next.

By the way, there is an interview with Ballard up on the website NOW.   He's talking about what he did, why he did it and what he might still be willing to do.

Check it out.   It'll make your heart race!

• Like 3