Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis Colts trade #3 overall pick to New York Jets (merge)

TKnight24

1 minute ago, mahagga73 said:

Not long is my guess. Based on past history. It's one thing to praise a rebuild, another to sit through multiple losing season's. ST holders are definitely not going to get their value next year, or maybe 2 or 3. Last year you could get seats for nothing.  

It makes sense now why they seemed to be pushing season ticket sales harder this year. They moved that townhall way up before the draft compared to last year when they had it and they got Luck to record that interview so they could show just how great things were. 

Just now, deedub75 said:

It makes sense now why they seemed to be pushing season ticket sales harder this year. They moved that townhall way up before the draft compared to last year when they had it and they got Luck to record that interview so they could show just how great things were. 

Thry moved up the ST deadline too. Offering payment options,  etc. Havent done that in years.  

4 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Thry moved up the ST deadline too. Offering payment options,  etc. Havent done that in years.  

They have had the payment plan for the last couple of years but I do believe they did move the dates up. I think the NFL now requires all teams to offer the payment plan. 

• Like 1

Just now, deedub75 said:

They have had the payment plan for the last couple of years but I do believe they did move the dates up. I think the NFL now requires all teams to offer the payment plan. 

I know they had it when I first got them , but that was awhile ago. Makes sense . A lot of people are discovering watching at home isn't so bad and much cheaper. Personally,  I like the gameday atmosphere . 

15 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Source?

Ballard himself.   Quoted-

We’re still open. You know, we’ll still be open if an opportunity — the right opportunity — presents itself at (No.) 6 to move down,” Ballard said. “But right now we feel pretty good. It would have to be a pretty attractive offer for us to move away from (No.) 6 because the player we think we’re going to get.

Of course he can't give away the player(s) he feels will fall to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

#1...Cleveland: Donald QB

#2. Giants: Barkley RB

#3. Jets: Rosen QB

#4 Bills (Trade up) Adams QB

#5 Denver: Nelson OG

#6 Colts: Chubb DE.

I hope your right I really do. Because if we can still get Chubb in this we might just be division contenders this season.  

The #6 pick and the extra early round picks are no match for a quarterback taken #3.  This will haunt the Colts for many years, as the Jets and Broncos get their franchise QBs and join the Titans and Jaguars in topping us.  Today, NO ONE knows if Andrew will be Andrew.  He certainly wasn't last year.  It might have been different if Ballard had waited closer to the draft.  So, party hearty and play the loser game of "we got more value" than the Jets did.  Like the Bears last year the Jets get it and Ballard and the Colts fans simply don't.

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

There are some Jets fans out there who think they could be taking Baker Mayfield 3rd overall.  I think that would be a huge mistake

I really, really, hope they do take Mayfield.  Then Buffalo will come calling for Josh Allen to make sure Miami or Arizona does move up higher. 

Edit: I had a euphoria induced brain fart.  I still believe that Buffalo will trade with NYG.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Sounds great, except... why would they do that?   Who are they wanting to get?  If they do that, what are their chances of getting who they want to get?

The answer is a draft day deal,  Goes something like this- {Hypothetical call}

"Hey Chris, it's Brandon (Beane)

CB- Hi,Brandon.  What can I do for you today?

BB- I'd like to know your thoughts on a potential draft day trade for our 12th pick Plus a few others for your 6th?

CB - OK, but what are the ... others?  (they haggle and work out a potential deal)

BB - Understand Chris, I'll call you immediately when the Colts go on the clock, IF, it's a big if here, our guy (no specific names are ever mentioned) is still there. OK?

CB- Let me get this straight, so if I don't hear from you within a few minutes after we go on the clock, I am to assume your guy was taken and you don't want to finish the deal?

BB- That is correct.

CB- OK, but here's the final part of the deal.  I also have one specific guy I'd like at  #6. Now, if he is still there, I won't do this either, even if your guy is there.  I'll take my guy. Do we still have a deal?

BB- Agreed.

CB- OK, look forward to hearing from you on draft day to let you know if we do this or not.  Thanks for calling.

BB- Thanks Chris.  Talk to you soon. "

The Bills have an opportunity to get a draft pick at 12 that was never going to fall to the 20's (where their other pick is)...  so they are not totally despondent if they can't move up any further.  But if a franchise QB is still there at 6, it would be foolish for them to not have worked out a deal with us beforehand to get their QB.

Not sure the Bills would ever make that deal to get to # 6. There's a good possibility 3 or even 4 of the top QB's might be done before we pick at 6. They instead would target Cleveland's pick at 4 if Browns go QB at 1.1 ? 

In any event , I think unless Buff moves into the 2 spot , I think they have to wait until the draft (which you say) reveals the first 3 picks before they would make any move to move to 4 or 6. Their problem with 6 would be Denver is at 5 .

I didn't fully read your post . You have it covered but I do think the Bills would look to get the Browns pick at 4 if QB is taken at 1.1

11 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Not sure the Bills would ever make that deal to get to # 6. There's a good possibility 3 or even 4 of the top QB's might be done before we pick at 6. They instead would target Cleveland's pick at 4 if Browns go QB at 1.1 ? 

In any event , I think unless Buff moves into the 2 spot , I think they have to wait until the draft reveals the first 3 picks before they would make any move to move to 4 or 6. Their problem with 6 would be Denver is at 5 .

Buffalo will trade up to 1 or 2, IMO. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Sounds great, except... why would they do that?   Who are they wanting to get?  If they do that, what are their chances of getting who they want to get?

The answer is a draft day deal,  Goes something like this- {Hypothetical call}

"Hey Chris, it's Brandon (Beane)

CB- Hi,Brandon.  What can I do for you today?

BB- I'd like to know your thoughts on a potential draft day trade for our 12th pick Plus a few others for your 6th?

CB - OK, but what are the ... others?  (they haggle and work out a potential deal)

BB - Understand Chris, I'll call you immediately when the Colts go on the clock, IF, it's a big if here, our guy (no specific names are ever mentioned) is still there. OK?

CB- Let me get this straight, so if I don't hear from you within a few minutes after we go on the clock, I am to assume your guy was taken and you don't want to finish the deal?

BB- That is correct.

CB- OK, but here's the final part of the deal.  I also have one specific guy I'd like at  #6. Now, if he is still there, I won't do this either, even if your guy is there.  I'll take my guy. Do we still have a deal?

BB- Agreed.

CB- OK, look forward to hearing from you on draft day to let you know if we do this or not.  Thanks for calling.

BB- Thanks Chris.  Talk to you soon. "

The Bills have an opportunity to get a draft pick at 12 that was never going to fall to the 20's (where their other pick is)...  so they are not totally despondent if they can't move up any further.  But if a franchise QB is still there at 6, it would be foolish for them to not have worked out a deal with us beforehand to get their QB.

I would do it strictly for entertainment value.

i didnt read into it that far.

it was merely a joke, for humor's sake.

Chris Ballard explains trading from 3 down to 6:

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Chris-Ballard-Jets-Trade-Gives-Colts-‘A-Chance-To-Really-Replenish-Our-Young-Talent’/807c5a98-74f1-4f8d-8085-d6f54a71c2d5

Brad Wells added,

A8GWSaKvS9Vv_CQx.jpg
1:44
Indianapolis ColtsVerified account @Colts
Go behind the @nyjets trade with GM Chris Ballard as he details the conversations leading up to the official announcement: http://indcolts.co/T6TJGF 
28379728_933854250097828_492736885473882

Here's Colts GM Chris Ballard, to the Colts' website, on today's blockbuster trade with the New York Jets (this should answer many of your questions. Also, the point about seven picks in the top two rounds in a span of two years is really compelling).

> How it went down:
“We had been, since Monday and Tuesday, been kind of back and forth with the Jets about moving back. They had an interest to move up to 3. We kind of went back and forth for the last four or five days. We talked to a couple other teams, but we still wanted to stay in that top position in that top 10 where we could still get a premium player. We feel at (No.) 6, we’ll still be able to acquire a premium player. Plus, being able to pick up the two 2s this year and the 2 next year, that gives up four picks in the top 50 picks of the draft and then three next year – one in the first and two in the second. It gives us a chance to really replenish our young talent and start building a core of young talent like we need to do.”

> Could they trade again?
“We’re still open. We’ll still be open if the right opportunity presents itself at 6 to move down, but right now we feel pretty good. It would have to be a pretty attractive offer for us to move away from 6 because of the player we think we’re going to get. We looked at free agency and we just didn’t feel like we were at a point to where we wanted to add some of the guys at the price that they were at. And we need to add some young talent to this roster. So, the ability to have seven players here in the next two years that are all going to be first- and second-round picks was attractive to us. I’ve said it since I got here: You want to build with your own players. You want draft and develop your own guys. That’s how you build a lasting organization and a team that grows together. And that’s important to us.”

People who are saying we won't get Chubb or Barkely or whoever don't seem to realize that the likelihood of ALL top 5 picks being QBs is very high... Above 50% to be sure.  Edit: Now realizing the huge oversight on my part that Cleveland is probably less than 50% likely to trade away #4... It could happen, but I actually doubt very much that they do.

If the Giants arent choosing a QB (even though they should and probably will) they will likely trade out of #2 to a QB needy team... My guess is that (edit: almost) everybody will be there at #6...

Im doubting Barkely even gets picked in the top 10, to be honest... There are holes in his game and the positional value thing, too. I definitely don't want him at #6 with Chubb and Nelson likely still on the board. I don't think it's a given that he's better than Guice in most teams' evaluations. (Edit: sticking by this... I think the Browns stay at #4 but won't pick Barkely, which undermines the entire point of my original post, but, as I said, I had subconsciously discounted the fact that Cleveland probably doesn't want to add picks and would rather draft a blue chip prospect at #1 or #4)

sorry for the hasty post and sloppy thinking... 

Question:

who does it benefit to do this deal now vs waitibg until closer to draft vs last minute?

do we think the Jets were pushing?  Do we think Ballard should have let oressure build?

i'm just wondering why NOW?  And who the timing mostbenefits.  

Hav'nt been here in ages but this with this trade let me just say its AWESOME

we got tons of trade value in excess of what trading back 3 spots is worth even without next years 2nd round pick

At 6 will be someone thats an still an instant starter of possible pro bowl caliber whether its offense or defense

This is why that division is always so easy for the Pats, all other front offices well they are awkward in their moves while the Pats simply do stunning , clever twists & turns

we can now hopefully select right and Build that balanced Monster around luck  that some past coach only spoke of 

How Ballard got the jets to agree to this is beyond me, Jets must simply be desperate - this speaks of picking Sanchez the last time they moved up to get a QB & we all know how that worked out

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, dw49 said:

In any event , I think unless Buff moves into the 2 spot , I think they have to wait until the draft (which you say) reveals the first 3 picks before they would make any move to move to 4 or 6. Their problem with 6 would be Denver is at 5 .

I didn't fully read your post . You have it covered but I do think the Bills would look to get the Browns pick at 4 if QB is taken at 1.1

I don't think they have a willing partner to trade with nor the resources to go higher than #6. So it would have to be a pre-arranged draft day deal with the Colts, as I outlined.  And it still might not come off if the the top QB's are gone or a guy Ballard "must have" is still there at 6.

I've heard Mike Mayok and John Elway say this year is an abnormally deep QB class. Bills might take a Mike White or Luke Faulk, Mason Rudolph, Lamar Jackson, etc. in the 2nd or 3rd...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Question:

who does it benefit to do this deal now vs waitibg until closer to draft vs last minute?

do we think the Jets were pushing?  Do we think Ballard should have let oressure build?

i'm just wondering why NOW?  And who the timing mostbenefits.  

I don't know if a few weeks mattered, but I think both teams needed to do this before draft day.  They needed to be in position to execute their strategy (the Jets need a QB and we don't need the third best player in the draft) before something happens that might change things significantly.

Too many possible trade-ups from various teams for the Jets to risk, and the NYG are sitting there at #2 to hog all of the trade offers on draft day and that would be bad for us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I don't think they have a willing partner to trade with nor the resources to go higher than #6. So it would have to be a pre-arranged draft day deal with the Colts, as I outlined.  And it still might not come off if the the top QB's are gone or a guy Ballard "must have" is still there at 6.

I've heard Mike Mayok and John Elway say this year is an abnormally deep QB class. Bills might take a Mike White or Luke Faulk, Mason Rudolph, Lamar Jackson, etc. in the 2nd or 3rd...

Yes. Its a great draft to get a developmental guy while your bridge QB plays the next 2 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, i am yoda said:
4 hours ago, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers said:

Love the move, surprised that it happened in March as opposed to draft day, doesnt hurt us but may hurt the jets as any team could jump to #2 and steal the jets preferred pick

They are guaranteed one of Darnold, Rosen, or Allen.  It's win, win for them

I get that but you are assuming that the jets view the three prospects as equals.  I would guess that they prefer one over the other two.  To me, Allen is going to have a career in the mold of Cutler or Bortles.  Perhaps, Im wrong and he develops into a Big Ben type.

1 hour ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

The #6 pick and the extra early round picks are no match for a quarterback taken #3.  This will haunt the Colts for many years, as the Jets and Broncos get their franchise QBs and join the Titans and Jaguars in topping us.  Today, NO ONE knows if Andrew will be Andrew.  He certainly wasn't last year.  It might have been different if Ballard had waited closer to the draft.  So, party hearty and play the loser game of "we got more value" than the Jets did.  Like the Bears last year the Jets get it and Ballard and the Colts fans simply don't.

No one cares.

4 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I've been saying that man..Jackson might be best QB in draft, next Vick except he has great character and is very intelligent..He needs to add about 15 lbs which isn't hard..

I don't think Jackson will be very good. Hes a bit turnover prone and hes not very accurate. Hes very good running in the open field but if he does that too much his NFL career will be short lived. 

The only thing that would throw a monkey wrench in all of this is if the Browns take Barkley at #1, which is very possible. If they do the Giants might take Chubb and the Bronco's take Nelson. If that's the case you can bet your last dollar we'll have 2 #1 picks because we'd trade with the Bills quickly.

34 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If Barkley remains for the Browns at 4 and they covet him , you might be right. If somehow the Giants don't go with a QB at 2 it changes the complexion of the first 5 picks. At this point in time , there is chatter that the Giants are not going to pick a QB. But if that were the case , it seems like the Jets would have been able to work a deal  with them I guess. 

Anyway , the first 2 days of this draft will be great for us Colt fans. 

Chubb would be great, but as I have read, the FO are looking for more speed now to take advantage of our home field in LOS.  He is fast for his size,but he's not Freeney and Mathis fast.  Maybe that's another reason why Ballard is willing to take a chance he won't be there at 6.  That and that we need more picks.  Either way, we will get a great player if we stay at 6. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I don't know if a few weeks mattered, but I think both teams needed to do this before draft day.  They needed to be in position to execute their strategy (the Jets need a QB and we don't need the third best player in the draft) before something happens that might change things significantly.

Too many possible trade-ups from various teams for the Jets to risk, and the NYG are sitting there at #2 to hog all of the trade offers on draft day and that would be bad for us.

This is the only real positive i see for us.

if a bidding war erupted between jets, buffalo, etc , the NYG would make a trade with us less attractive:

if theres still a QB at six, we could get more offers.

either way, i see at least 3 QB GOING IN FIRST 5 picks now.  Even if more trades happen.

but, any way you slice it, chubb, nelson, , or barkley...: at least one should be there. With the 2nd rd picks added, we could go alot of directions.  2 of those top of 2nd could be packaged to move up if someone slips in first.

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

This is the only real positive i see for us.

if a bidding war erupted between jets, buffalo, etc , the NYG would make a trade with us less attractive:

if theres still a QB at six, we could get more offers.

either way, i see at least 3 QB GOING IN FIRST 5 picks now.  Even if more trades happen.

but, any way you slice it, chubb, nelson, , or barkley...: at least one should be there. With the 2nd rd picks added, we could go alot of directions.  2 of those top of 2nd could be packaged to move up if someone slips in first.

I don't want Chubb or Nelson at #6.  I'd rather trade out again, but if I had to pick at 6, today I'd pick Edmunds.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

That's a really good haul.  I'd be interested in seeing if anyone wants to trade up to 6.  Maybe move down 3 or 4 spots and gain another 3 or 4 picks in the process.

That's a very real possibility, and I wouldn't be against it. This year could be one of the best years ever for the Colts, draft wise. Interesting and exciting to say the least.

1 hour ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Chubb is a blue chip prospect. When you have the chance to draft him with the 3rd pick you don’t take chances by trading back. I highly doubt he’s going to be there at 6. 

Don't get me wrong, Chubb is my personal number 1 want.... I don't think he's an A+ beast guaranteed pro bowler, but I would say he's a solid A or A-........ We have so many needs (starter) and lack of depth where we do have a starter. I'd rather have 2 or 3 B+ guys, than one A.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

In what way? Their styles are not similar and their off-the-field issues are not similar... at least not that I know of. 

Did you not see Mayfield get tackled by the cop he tries to run from in the offseason.

To the point though, I agree they are 2 completely different personalities.